Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Also, with regards to hype chat, I remembered that Japanese fighting game players in the US frequently wear headphones because they aren't prepared to deal with the screaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
America should come with a disclaimer.

America
Warning: may cause hearing loss.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Glagha posted:

Well it lets them activate abilities on lands, which seems important. They could still like, Maze of Ith. I also wonder if that specific omission is there to allow players to pay mana costs triggered by their opponent (Of the "unless your opponent pays X" variety) because that otherwise might deactivate the ability to tap for mana.
:goonsay:

Basic lands no longer use the "Cost : Effect" ability format, so it's not an activated ability. (As of when I last played ~3 years ago)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

z0glin Warchief posted:

Oh apparently this is a thing:

I guess you just say "can't activate abilities" :downs:

Well there are Activated abilities which are easily identifiable with a colon. the exception to that are Mana abilities which all lands have and are essentially "Tap: Add X to your mana pool." Finally there are triggered abilities which are basically "Whenever X, Y." As a secondary thing, there are activated abilities on permanents you control that can be activated by opponents (they usually indicate as such). Mana abilities can not be responded to iirc and can't typically be stopped except for end the turn spells. Thing that stop triggered abilities are rarer than things that stop activated abilities, but they exist.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

This is what happens when you've got like almost 30 years worth of rules stacked on top of each other.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

They work really hard to clean this stuff up, at least. But...yeah, there's an entire division dedicated to rules text management and figuring out how the rules work in edge cases.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I think I went crossblind trying to understand this card at first:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That one is actually fairly simple, but wouldn't be worded that way any more.

These days it'd be:

Sliver creatures you control gain hexproof.

Hexproof, of course, is 'cannot be targeted by spells or abilities your opponents control.' It's the modern take on an older ability, Shroud, which was 'cannot be targeted by spells or abilities' and stopped even your own stuff from working on the thing that had Shroud. They changed it to Hexproof because Shroud confused people and they acted like it was Hexproof anyway.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

These days it'd be:

Hexproof, of course, is 'cannot be targeted by spells or abilities your opponents control.' It's the modern take on an older ability, Shroud, which was 'cannot be targeted by spells or abilities' and stopped even your own stuff from working on the thing that had Shroud. They changed it to Hexproof because Shroud confused people and they acted like it was Hexproof anyway.

Ah, so it's different now, then? Slivers were always so crazy to use in conjunction. Crystalline sliver was sort of my backup plan in case I ever needed a defensive play.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, they've changed it so global creature-type buffs are now exclusively only on those you control. This includes Slivers. Slivers haven't been published in a few years, but they're still crazy in combination because that's the Sliver gimmick. However, there are ways to deal with it. General board wipe is my suggestion.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I think I went crossblind trying to understand this card at first:

Mors Rattus posted:

These days it'd be:

also note that it does not say "target sliver" Shroud and Hexproof (and Protection) only stop targeted abilities, but that sliver is an "all" effect so it still applies. This is why Wrath of God can go through Protection from White, because it doesnt target the specific creature, it just says "Destroy All Creatures"

MTG is fun but sometimes the rules seem really really weird.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, hexproof, shroud and that sliver all only stop targeted abilities, which are any abilities that specific target <X> - creature, permanent, whatever. That's why untargeted board wipe or untargeted global debuffs are great.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Ah, so it's different now, then? Slivers were always so crazy to use in conjunction. Crystalline sliver was sort of my backup plan in case I ever needed a defensive play.

Slivers are still crazy.
In the MTG Girls manga, there's a modern Sliver deck that's run. It's still crazy.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I remember from playing in tournaments back in like 2004 that the rules for magic had already became so bloated that there were like levels of mastery of the rules given out to people my wizards of the coast, so that they can advise people at tournaments.

Xelkelvos posted:

Slivers are still crazy.
In the MTG Girls manga, there's a modern Sliver deck that's run. It's still crazy.

Oh man, this manga, I remember hearing about this but couldn't get into it because I haven't played in like 12 years.

Slivers were definitely what got me into playing magic, the complexity and cunning that came with the slivers was really appealing and fun to me.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That's correct, you can take tests to get varying levels of Judge rank, and higher rank requires greater mastery of the rules, knowledge of how to spot cheating, and so on - as well as some enforcement of the social rules of MtG, these days. Judges are supposed to intervene in events of cheating and abusive language, too. Judges are there to handle all rules disputes and enforce tournament social rules, etc. Lower levels are volunteers, the top ranks are Wizards of the Coast employees.

Typically, your average game will not need a judge's call, but even expert players can be unsure in some rules interactions, and of course at high-level tournaments, players will be aggressively trying to interpret the rules in their own favor and push it as hard as they can, because money is on the line.

E: Slivers own, yeah. I love the stuff Magic gets people to play. The current set looks like it's going to be full of doing goofy shenanigans off of enters-the-battlefield triggers and using the new resource they introduced for the set, Energy. Also, it is pretty as gently caress.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Glagha posted:

Also, with regards to hype chat, I remembered that Japanese fighting game players in the US frequently wear headphones because they aren't prepared to deal with the screaming

its more because game audio is an advantage if you can hear it clearly. it isnt like there's a shortage of noise in japanese arcades

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Countblanc posted:

its more because game audio is an advantage if you can hear it clearly. it isnt like there's a shortage of noise in japanese arcades

It's really only Japanese players that do it regularly though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

There should be more cheering at this tournament... is that a competitive card game thing or Manaka's boring and assholish playstyle prevents he audience from doing that?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

There should be more cheering at this tournament... is that a competitive card game thing or Manaka's boring and assholish playstyle prevents he audience from doing that?

It's a mix of 'Japan' and the author telling us that Manaka's playing is a burden upon the soul even though it really isn't. That's my one big sticking point with Wizard's Soul, but 'something something unique M:tG-based culture'

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I mean to be fair, rear end in a top hat control decks aren't going to win you many friends in casual play. Tournaments of course are a different matter.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Patware posted:

It's a mix of 'Japan' and the author telling us that Manaka's playing is a burden upon the soul even though it really isn't. That's my one big sticking point with Wizard's Soul, but 'something something unique M:tG-based culture'

I mean, a deck that's fully based around "all your cool toys? yeah you dont get to play with them, or if you do there's a steep cost" is pretty soul sucking to play against, and I can only imagine that in a world that's ALL about card games this effect is amplified.

It's a longstanding part of the game though, and as much as i hate playing against it, I can't deny that without it, Magic would be a lot less deep, and probably not as fun to play.

They should probably thank their lucky stars that there isn't Affinity or Storm in Wizard's Soul, you wanna talk about some bullshit, there you go.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Patware posted:

actually playing control does in fact require you to relinquish your soul

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Permission, maybe, but burn control can be really fun. I mean, your opponent at least gets to play their creatures for a short while. And deck theft control is loving awful, generally speaking. But hilarious when it works.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Throwing down big stompy creatures is the only true and honorable way to cards game.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I also get the impression that a lot of it comes from her attitude while playing, more so than the type of deck necessarily. I mean, she clearly is not enjoying herself in the least during these matches, and that probably rubs off on people. If she was joking around and being fun about it, instead of being all

then I think people would not be as put off. She has pretty legitimate reasons for acting that way, but no one else really knows that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chumbler posted:

Throwing down big stompy creatures is the only true and honorable way to cards game.

That and direct damage and also stupid black decks where you kill yourself 90% of the time, actually.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I only once tried to make a high level deck, in a strange coincidence, it was a deck that revolved around the card in z0glin's avatar.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Also there is no shame in goblin decks, provided your primary objective is seeing just how many goblins you can make.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

chumbler posted:

Also there is no shame in goblin decks, provided your primary objective is seeing just how many goblins you can make.

My goblin deck was a patriarch's bidding deck, which allows me to revive all creatures of a selected type all at once, and since the goblin warchief gives all goblins haste, well, it's a good fun time for everyone.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I thought her play style was more of a mind game thing. Actual card players can be pretty friendly even at high levels but there are players who definitely try to throw off opponents by playing very flatly without betraying emotion to avoid giving reads or to demoralize their opponents. I figured it was just another symptom of her play-to-win style

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if anything, she has card game ptsd. surprisingly, the manga actually provided a trauma big enough to warrant that behavior.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Matoi Ryuko posted:

My goblin deck was a patriarch's bidding deck, which allows me to revive all creatures of a selected type all at once, and since the goblin warchief gives all goblins haste, well, it's a good fun time for everyone.

That was a cool deck, and Onslaught was a cool block. Through my rose-tinted nostalgia glasses, anyway; that's about the only period I played competitively during.

Serious Frolicking posted:

surprisingly, the manga actually provided a trauma big enough to warrant that behavior.
A round of applause for Aki★Eda! It's a shame more of her stuff isn't translated, though that's something I intend to fix (very, very slowly :negative:).

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

z0glin Warchief posted:

That was a cool deck, and Onslaught was a cool block. Through my rose-tinted nostalgia glasses, anyway; that's about the only period I played competitively during.

No way! Me too! haha, I blame WOTC for their advertising push around that time, that must have been it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I never played magic and am forced to understand WS through the lens of Yugioh

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I love the current set's art more than any other MTG set we've had, ever, and I love a lot of them.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

I love the current set's art more than any other MTG set we've had, ever, and I love a lot of them.

Gosh, that's gorgeous. Amazing paintings have always been a staple of magic the gathering, there can never be enough beautiful paintings, imo.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kaladesh is basically artifact/inventor India and the art for it is all amazingly beautiful and often really intricately detailed.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

Kaladesh is basically artifact/inventor India and the art for it is all amazingly beautiful and often really intricately detailed.

Roll that beautiful ornithopter footage.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Rodyle posted:

I never played magic and am forced to understand WS through the lens of Yugioh

the main difference is that magic is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder