Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Growing up my neighbours would complain about the (admittedly, loud) house parties we'd have ay my place. My old man just pointed out that his kids were going to be throwing parties in a few years. He was right, their parties were loud too. It's about being reasonable. Our parties were considerably louder, but he had more kids. Everything works out with perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

FetusSlapper posted:

Make grades 7-12 year round, with a few 2 week breaks in the mix; and expect that in the summer months anyone 14+ is expected to get a job or volunteer somewhere for at least 10 hours a week. I pick 14 because thats how old I had to be to get a job(parental waiver or something) in Michigan in the early 90s.

I'm in the midwest and even in early middle school at 13 I was going out with friends over summer and detassling corn for a few bucks an hour. A year later I worked as a bagger at the commissary on base and did that a couple days a week during school for pocket cash, then worked that job and another part-time job when I turned 16 all the way until I graduated. That's what kids absolutely need to experience, then maybe their entitled bullshit attitudes will change and we can get rid of this coddling, participation award giving, something-for-nothing horseshit.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Something that really gets on my nerves is when people make strong, incredulous claims to knowledge about or familiarity with a subject based on their profession or geographic origin and it doesn't make any loving sense. The righteous version of this would be something like "Oh, yeah, I know a lot about fire safety because I was a firefighter for 20 years" or "The frustrations of a underdeveloped public transit system are familiar to me, as a native of Atlanta". That's insightful. But no, I get the living embodiment of the lovely tee-shirts with aggressive slogans and scratchy font with comments like "I'm used to dealing with crazy people 'cause I'm from SODA SPRINGS, IDAHO, BITCH!!!"

Most recently I was discussing the merits of various psychedelic drugs (like the fine, upstanding citizen I am) with my friend at a party, when this girl I don't even recognize passes by and says

:j: I don't have to take drugs to see things in my head

(dramatic pause)

:j: I'm a WRITER

Usually this is a symptom of people in their early 20s struggling with their total lack of meaningful self-identity because they're too young and their experiences too ubiquitous for them to have any interesting or unique perspectives on anything. Still annoys the poo poo out of me.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Riatsala posted:

Usually this is a symptom of people in their early 20s struggling with their total lack of meaningful self-identity because they're too young and their experiences too ubiquitous for them to have any interesting or unique perspectives on anything.

This sentence is like alka-seltzer, thank you.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Riatsala posted:

Something that really gets on my nerves is when people make strong, incredulous claims to knowledge about or familiarity with a subject based on their profession or geographic origin

This annoys me especially in skill-based reality shows (i.e. cooking shows). Just because your grandparents were Italian doesn't mean you're automatically good at cooking pasta/pizza, or just because you lived in Spain for a few years doesn't mean you know how to cook Spanish food, etc. Also in more standard reality shows where it seems like they are instructed to go way over the top on their accents and stereotypical behavior of where they are from, especially if they are from New York or Boston. I don't mind shows using "creative" cuts to create a more entertaining show but would it be so terrible if people were allowed to act like they actually do in real life? Nobody outside of TV begins every sentence with a reminder of what region/state/country you come from.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

You've never been around terrible nerds, then.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Murphy Brownback posted:

This annoys me especially in skill-based reality shows (i.e. cooking shows). Just because your grandparents were Italian doesn't mean you're automatically good at cooking pasta/pizza, or just because you lived in Spain for a few years doesn't mean you know how to cook Spanish food, etc. Also in more standard reality shows where it seems like they are instructed to go way over the top on their accents and stereotypical behavior of where they are from, especially if they are from New York or Boston. I don't mind shows using "creative" cuts to create a more entertaining show but would it be so terrible if people were allowed to act like they actually do in real life? Nobody outside of TV begins every sentence with a reminder of what region/state/country you come from.

My favorite part of those shows is always the exchange between the judges and the cooks where it's like

"So tell us chef Daniel, why did you decide to use apple cider vinegar in your vinaigrette?"

"My parents died tragically when I was a child"

"Ah, yes, very good."

But in staying on topic, what really annoys me is when the judges give their final impressions of each dish and their narration is so heavily edited that there's a noticeable change in pitch or tone between Every Single Word.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The fact that netflix doesn't have a "play from beginning" option. I'm trying to rewatch a show and every episode I have to rewind from the last few minutes of credits. Also sometimes I'll try to start a movie only for it to pop me right into the middle of it because I started watching it one time over a year ago and forgot. Amazon video can do it, it seems like a conscious choice that netflix is making not to have it, but why?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I don't think participation awards have ever had any real impact on anyone. Kids know they're kinda bullshit.

The only real thing you can say about them is that they show a certain attitude from, oh wait, the parents.

Also, why does everyone think that the details of their specific childhood are the true essentials to raising a kid?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Strategic Tea posted:

I don't think participation awards have ever had any real impact on anyone. Kids know they're kinda bullshit.

The only real thing you can say about them is that they show a certain attitude from, oh wait, the parents.

Also, why does everyone think that the details of their specific childhood are the true essentials to raising a kid?

Yeah, I mean we got participation trophies in soccer when I was a kid, but it was always made clear (especially by our coach who would yell at you if you smiled while going to pick it up) there was no reason to celebrate. I actually thought they were helpful since it added an extra dose of humiliation to motivate you to win the real ones next year.

As for your last thing, people like to think they are the most normal and well-adjusted people they know so obviously the way they were raised is the only right way. Even people who grew up in abusive situations like to act superior about it because "I got through it just fine, why can't you?" etc.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Murphy Brownback posted:

The fact that netflix doesn't have a "play from beginning" option. I'm trying to rewatch a show and every episode I have to rewind from the last few minutes of credits. Also sometimes I'll try to start a movie only for it to pop me right into the middle of it because I started watching it one time over a year ago and forgot. Amazon video can do it, it seems like a conscious choice that netflix is making not to have it, but why?

But it does? :psyduck:
Did they get rid of it?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Did they get rid of it?

Depends on the device, I've found. I don't know how Netflix does its thing, but I'm guessing the apps for PS4, vs Vizio smart TVs, vs Samsung smart TVs, vs. web interface are all done by different teams so they're never exactly the same.

Infuriating.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Digirat posted:

Why are noisemakers almost always obnoxious, inconsiderate twats in person?

Just once, I want to meet one of these people and find them actually turn out to be polite and helpful, but so far I've never met one and all the stories like The Snoo's never end peacefully. At this point my only options are hoping the management sees the dog thing as as much of a ridiculous excuse as I do, or lets me move to another apartment in the complex. But I have never heard of that happening before.

Ugh, I hope something works out in your favor.

We try to make sure whatever we're doing isn't audible from outside the apartment, and like my desktop computer's speakers are only usable with a subwoofer (thanks dad) but I can turn the bass down most of the way, and I do, and I don't even listen to music very loud. Headphones are nice, too. I have closed captioning on the TV and I don't have it up very loud. I just feel like I can't understand why people don't realise how much noise they're making, or why they don't care. I don't expect 100% quiet 24/7, but I'm also tired of 4 - 8 hours of loud music throughout the day/evening and screaming children and slamming doors.

Everyone in our building got this recently:

so... maybe it'll stop. :lol:

I love the last paragraph. #1 if you call their customer service number they make you give them your name/address/phone number anyway, so it's funny they stress anonymity... #2 we've already told them who is making the noise over and over for the last 3 months!!! :mad:

A related peeve of mine is that the parents around here just let their children run around the hallway, and outside, without supervision. So there's mud all over the doorbell buttons, there's empty bags of chips in the small field, they were throwing sticks in the tree where my squirrel friends live, and they just s c r e a m constantly.

On the other hand, someone left a McDonald's bag full of trash and I saw a squirrel buddy licking a sweet & sour sauce cup lmao

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This reminds me of my own Netflix peeve, that it isn't always very good at remembering episode progress between devices, making it a pain if I watch part of an episode of something on my computer or TV and then switch to my Android tablet.

(And then I remember that I am living in The Future where pretty much everything I could ever want to watch or listen to is at my fingertips and I don't even have to change discs or tapes any more.)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Did they get rid of it?

Not on my fire stick thing or my PC. Haven't checked on my ps4 to be honest.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Murphy Brownback posted:

Not on my fire stick thing or my PC. Haven't checked on my ps4 to be honest.

On a PC you should just be able to grab the thing that marks your progress and move it back, if nothing else.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Strategic Tea posted:

There's a certain type of person that is super defensive about any implication that there's something wrong with them, to the point of imagining that any parent deciding to raise their kid differently than they were are saying "I don't want my kid to end up like you". You get this a lot whenever spanking comes up but I've also seen people get pissy about punishing bullies and enrolling in art programs instead of sports.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Netflix pet peeve: it used to be (on PS4) that you had the lists, you'd open an entry and had some info on the movie and a play button. Now when you open an entry the movie starts playing in the background immediately. Very often I want to know what a movie's about and who's in it before I actually watch it. Sometimes that's all I want to know!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My Lovely Horse posted:

Netflix pet peeve: it used to be (on PS4) that you had the lists, you'd open an entry and had some info on the movie and a play button. Now when you open an entry the movie starts playing in the background immediately. Very often I want to know what a movie's about and who's in it before I actually watch it. Sometimes that's all I want to know!

It took me a while to figure out on my tablet that you have to touch the little "i" in a circle in the corner of each entry to get the information/episode list instead of just playing whatever came next.

Like, a LONG while. Like, maybe I need an assistant to do things around the house kind of long.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Celery Face posted:

People who hit on you when you're at work. Even if they're attractive, it's just super awkward. Especially if it's a job where you're expected to be super friendly to everyone so you're trying not to accidentally give them any "hints."

When I started a retail job at 19 or so we had to wear relatively tight shirts and I have big boobs. On one of my first days this Mediterranean looking guy starts asking me questions about something and then finally grabs my shoulder and says, "you're really hot" and walks away. I was so shocked I just didn't move for a good 30 seconds.

Peeve: when its obviously a 2 lane road because it's wide but there's little or no markings, the assholes that drive in the middle so you can't get past them. Today this rear end in a top hat stopped in the middle of the road at a red light so no one could get past him to make a right turn.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My in-laws never put soda in the fridge.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

docbeard posted:

(And then I remember that I am living in The Future where pretty much everything I could ever want to watch or listen to is at my fingertips and I don't even have to change discs or tapes any more.)

Historical pet peeve: having to wait a whole week to watch my favorite show, and hoping there'll be re-runs during the summer so I could see that one really cool episode again.

gus rules ok
Aug 2, 2016
People who come to work sick. Had a co-worker inform me today that "Oh I'm trying to get over this flu..." Why are you at work then? We have a fairly generous sick days policy and health insurance for a reason. And he said it in a tone that was just begging for sympathy or even a commendation for being such a brave little worker. No, rear end in a top hat, people like you are the reason I got to spend an entire week of Christmas vacation sick in bed.

Speaking of actual sympathy though, loud neighbours are terrible. Have you checked whether your building has any sort of rules about that sort of thing, Digirat? I lived in one that had a "three strikes and you're out" rule for noise complaints, though they weren't particularly pro-active about making it known.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Being asked to stay late at work. Every day. But it feels less like being asked and more like being told and there's no way to explain to my super-stressed manager he is stressing me out by asking me every day to stay 2 hours late. Especially when the other loving person in my department always leaves on time or 30 minutes before because he can't be a minute over or his plans are shot.

People who do lovely voice impressions when you are actually trying to work, or otherwise being very distracting. I had a trainer ride with me today and he always thinks it's awesome funny to yell in a Russian stereotypical accent everything. But today he switched it up between Russian and stereotypical angry Japanese man. Because nothing makes you laugh during an audit when someone is screaming how in SOVIET RUSSIA PIKACHU CATCH YOU.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

People who mispronounce things in ways that make no sense. The one that immediately comes to mind is people who pronounce Alzheimers disease as "alltimers disease". Since when does zh make a T noise?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
People who think it's the floor mat that opens automatic doors. Has this ever been the case? I see it all the time, even when it's clearly just a cheap plastic welcome mat that's half-torn and askew (and then they get confused because the door's opening even though they're not on the mat).

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

People who think it's the floor mat that opens automatic doors. Has this ever been the case? I see it all the time, even when it's clearly just a cheap plastic welcome mat that's half-torn and askew (and then they get confused because the door's opening even though they're not on the mat).
Surely no-one in their right mind has ever thought that?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I used to think that when I was a kid and Wegman's had the really strong, rubberized pads on either side of the door but then I took a class tour and learned otherwise.

Oh, that's a peeve of mine, or I guess just something sorta irritating for half a second: automatic doors that will randomly just open really slowly or jerk to a stop, so you're going at the pace you usually cross the threshold only to suddenly have to stop or sometimes having to push them enough to squeeze through sideways.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

When hotels with roomservice require you to call them to tell them to come pick up the tray. What was wrong with the model where you just set it down on the floor outside your room and it'd disappear within the next hour? The hotel is what, 10 floors? Just do your job and check once in a while during dinner hours for used trays, it's not rocket science.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

gus rules ok posted:

People who come to work sick. Had a co-worker inform me today that "Oh I'm trying to get over this flu..." Why are you at work then? We have a fairly generous sick days policy and health insurance for a reason. And he said it in a tone that was just begging for sympathy or even a commendation for being such a brave little worker. No, rear end in a top hat, people like you are the reason I got to spend an entire week of Christmas vacation sick in bed.

Currently sick because management sent two people who were sick up to help me instead of sending them home.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Geokinesis posted:

Surely no-one in their right mind has ever thought that?

I work front desk in a building with a sliding glass door, and people like to congregate near it while waiting for their taxis. At least once a week someone will unwittingly stand within the range of the detector, which extends beyond the mat on the floor, causing the door to repeatedly open. If they're on the mat, whoever they're with will often say something like "you opened it, see, you're standing on the mat, you touched the mat, that opens it".

Murphy Brownback posted:

When hotels with roomservice require you to call them to tell them to come pick up the tray. What was wrong with the model where you just set it down on the floor outside your room and it'd disappear within the next hour? The hotel is what, 10 floors? Just do your job and check once in a while during dinner hours for used trays, it's not rocket science.

Welcome to the brave new world of underhiring staff. Why hire a full set of employees when you can perpetually barely function with an overworked skeleton crew?

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
When you're walking on overgrown trails with people and they follow right behind you, thus requiring you to hold every single branch for them like an endless series of doors.
Just give me 3 yards of space, and this will be so much easier for us both!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People that walk way too slowly on overgrown trails

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Murphy Brownback posted:

People who mispronounce things in ways that make no sense. The one that immediately comes to mind is people who pronounce Alzheimers disease as "alltimers disease". Since when does zh make a T noise?

I have heard people say 'old timer's disease' as a joke so maybe they heard that, missed the joke and just ended up mangling the pronunciation?

Edit: for everyone saying the mats don't control automatic doors, the good people at Larco.com would like a word with you :colbert:

cyberia has a new favorite as of 09:58 on Sep 18, 2016

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I may be misremembering but I think early automatic doors DID use pressure pads. Some people just never got the update that the technology has improved, I guess.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

My office that was built in 2008 uses pressure pads for accessing secure floors. Scan badge, step in front of door to open

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Getting drinks at bars. Go on a late afternoon on a weekday, there's no problem. A Saturday night though, you are forced to be a pushy rear end in a top hat to get anywhere near a bartender to get a drink. There's like, no accepted protocol at that point and the rules of civility breaks down. People are either way too drunk to reason with, or I'm already a little too drunk to navigate what's going on.
Of course I put up with it because I actually want to be at a busy, loud place because being there and having a buzz is fun for me. I just find the actual getting a drink part way too difficult.

At one place they have dudes wearing nothing but jock straps walking around carrying trays of shots and you can get one for a few bucks. I wish other places would just carry around buckets of beer through the crowd like that. There's this one bar that my bf insists on going to every time we go out but the late night crowd is tons of douchey douchebags. So far the last five times we have managed to score 0 drinks at that place because you simply cannot approach the bar.

I had one bad experience at my favorite lounge where I pushed up to the bar and while I was ordering my drinks, this little twerp sitting on a barstool said that if I didn't get off of the barstool in 30 seconds, he was going to push me off. Nevermind I wasn't even sitting on a barstool. You know pal if you can't handle people being in your space, don't sit at the bar on a Friday at 11 o clock how about that? I ignored him, and once I had my drinks my bf and I had a plenty fun evening there.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Bars where you have to fight through a crowd where the line is 3 deep along the entire bar aren't fun. My favorite bar model just had a bunch of really cushy leather couches/chairs around some fireplaces and the bartenders came to you, no getting up required. Plus you could actually hear what other people were saying.

Overcrowded bars are no fun for anyone.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Hardcordion posted:

I may be misremembering but I think early automatic doors DID use pressure pads. Some people just never got the update that the technology has improved, I guess.

I'm sure they did, it's just funny seeing people really entrench themselves over it. "I didn't step on the mat!" "You must have! The door opened!!"

Bast Relief posted:

At one place they have dudes wearing nothing but jock straps walking around carrying trays of shots and you can get one for a few bucks.

WHERE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Murphy Brownback posted:

Bars where you have to fight through a crowd where the line is 3 deep along the entire bar aren't fun. My favorite bar model just had a bunch of really cushy leather couches/chairs around some fireplaces and the bartenders came to you, no getting up required. Plus you could actually hear what other people were saying.

Overcrowded bars are no fun for anyone.

That one lounge I like has a bit of that going on and it definitely reduced the crowd at the actual bar so most of the time I'm fine getting my own drink. I wish there were more places like that.

The Depot, Badlands, and Faces in Sacramento all do it. And they all share the same intersection. So have fun!