Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Beach Bum posted:

Oh hey, that reminds me

The Florida plate makes it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Space Whale posted:

The Florida plate makes it

I think during the week of the hurricane I burned more chainsaw fuel than I did in the bikes or the cars. poo poo was unreal.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I bought something silly today. The local KTM dealer Lost its license and it's going to another dealer just down the street. Dealer 1 is pissed off that dealer 2 is getting all of their inventory and having to pay to have em moved to dealer 2. Dealer 1 is selling their stock of KTMs off at dirt cheap prices. So I bought this for 5200 out the door.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Beach Bum posted:

Oh hey, that reminds me

Please tighten your chain.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Coydog posted:

Imgur upload isn't working currently, so I'll put pictures up later. Long story short, I bought that Ducati Monster 620ie for $1600. It's in great condition, runs fantastic, and the previous owner even had the fabled "RED" key and keycard, which I hear are often lost. Manual and toolkit look brand new. Chain and sprockets are great, and the pirelli angel GT have lots of life left. The Arrow exhausts are actually too quiet, but I've warmed up to their understated tone.

I think it must have fallen over at some point. There is a tiny surface scuff on the rear grab handle, and would explain the custom paint (which I like the look of), and the aftermarket exhausts. I cannot find anything else that would lead me to believe this, and the title is clean, so it's just a hunch.

All in all, I have to say that I'm surprised at how calm, smooth, and composed it is. For the first thirty minutes, I actually was bored with it and had serious buyers remorse. I'm just not a naked bike guy anymore, anyway. Once I got it on the highway, everything kind of fell into place, and the ducati fire kindled anew. Filtering through traffic, some person actually screamed as I passed by, which is a first.

The bad:
-Gas light doesn't turn on, though it lights when I start the bike and the cluster starts up.
-Indicator for turn signals doesn't light on the cluster, and also doesn't light when the bike is started. If it should light, then it's probably a cold solder joint or something.
-I don't like the ergos, coming from bolt-upright standards. I'm going to try and get an inch or half inch riser for cheap, and coax the extra length from the cables.

So, people who know better than I, did I make the right choice buying this? My mechanic lost his mind when he looked it over and heard what I paid, and I only got this price because the owner was so happy at how straightforward I was.

-For what it's worth, a goon can buy this from me for whatever I have into it, once I get my 690smc. It's just a temporary bike and impulse buy. (I feel awful about that because it was a special bike to the PO)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Please tighten your chain.

Took me a minute to figure out what you were getting at before I looked at the saw :v:

That one is actually my buddy's saw, I've pretty much given him full use of that bike until he gets his own since I am completely corrupted by my SV650. My chainsaw is very well maintained, thank you. I have a scar on my leg reminding me about chainsaw safety.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I lost my trusty Dakota this summer and went bikes only for a bit, it was really good for me. Got a replacement vehicle though and it's a perfect bike hauler....

It's a 13 Ford Transit Connect, previous owner was a drycleaning service. I knew it would fit the Ninja comfortably but the DRZ even fits!

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Skreemer posted:

I bought something silly today. The local KTM dealer Lost its license and it's going to another dealer just down the street. Dealer 1 is pissed off that dealer 2 is getting all of their inventory and having to pay to have em moved to dealer 2. Dealer 1 is selling their stock of KTMs off at dirt cheap prices. So I bought this for 5200 out the door.

Cool. My wife has one and likes it a lot. Fun little bike to hoon around on for sure.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Good job man :) Ducatis are one of those bikes that make no sense... until they do.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Cross-posting from Instagram because :effort:. I am so sorry.

Haven't decided whether I want to replace the windshield yet, and with which color. I'm thinking a double bubble opaque black or chrome.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I have the same keyfob thingie; I used to have the red "Remove Before Flight" one, but then I saw everyone on every YT video had the exact same thing, so I switched. This one makes more sense and is easier to see anyway.

Still haven't forgotten the key in the ignition.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

:hfive:

Nice buy. I forgot to mention, get the belts from CA cycle works. They're half as much as OEM and just as good. I've used them for 8 years no issues.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 15, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Nice! The 390 always looked like a great fun bike, and I almost got one last year. It's kind of a rare bike, so please keep posting up your thoughts, pictures, and such.

Virgil Vox posted:

transit awesomeness
The transit is my ideal four wheeled support vehicle for two wheeled vehicles. Super jealous. How is gas on those?

That thing is fully rad. Matches your bike and everything. I like my "Not Today" tag, but yours is so much funnier.

BlackMK4 posted:

Good job man :) Ducatis are one of those bikes that make no sense... until they do.
Thank you! I feel you completely on that. The bike is kind of "eh, this is a good bike" until it all falls into place and then it's something special. Looks amazing when parked. I took it for a ride late tonight, and warmed up to it so much more. :D Suspension and brakes are incredible.

Slim Pickens posted:

:hfive:

Nice buy. I forgot to mention, get the belts from CA cycle works. They're half as much as OEM and just as good. I've used them for 8 years no issues.
Thank you! I ended up getting some CA cycle works belts earlier tonight. They seemed the best mix of cost and apparent quality. I'm so glad I made the right choice!

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Coydog posted:

That thing is fully rad. Matches your bike and everything. I like my "Not Today" tag, but yours is so much funnier.
I'd considered various tags with sayings like that, but didn't want to tempt fate. :v:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I want to take a page out of Adiabatic's Book of the Gorester and get one that says "SELF CONTROL".

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Beach Bum posted:

I want to take a page out of Adiabatic's Book of the Gorester and get one that says "SELF CONTROL".

gently caress it. I'd get a "POOR IMPULSE CONTROL" one.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Apropos of nothing. Since a "throttle" doesn't throttle anything on an electric bike, this:

Lynza posted:

IMPULSE CONTROL

would be an awesome name for the twisty grip on EVs.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fifty Three posted:

I'd considered various tags with sayings like that, but didn't want to tempt fate. :v:

Other than being a neat quote, I find having that on my tag has kept me from donging it up sometimes. Kind of like "oh yeah maybe I should take steps to keep death away".

Of course, when it was on the supermoto, it was because I was laughing in the face of any sort of crash because sumo's are cheat mode.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

captainOrbital posted:

I have the same keyfob thingie; I used to have the red "Remove Before Flight" one, but then I saw everyone on every YT video had the exact same thing, so I switched. This one makes more sense and is easier to see anyway.

Still haven't forgotten the key in the ignition.

Yeah it's doesn't make sense to have a "remove this before using" tag on the ignition :)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

Yeah it's doesn't make sense to have a "remove this before using" tag on the ignition :)

I had one on my house key. Worked quite well there, until it got stolen...

I figure it works in the ignition as "remove before your flight away from the bike and leaving the key in like a retard".

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
I'm pretty much decided on a Duke as my first bike, they just look unlike anything else out there and seem to be pretty fun. Let me know your experience with them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mulligan posted:

I'm pretty much decided on a Duke as my first bike, they just look unlike anything else out there and seem to be pretty fun. Let me know your experience with them.

The KTM superDuke1290 is an excellent starter bike packed with safety features and big tyres + brakes for added safety and learner-friendlyness. Good choice!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

Aight I talked to Chris at MotoLoot.com and it's a minimum order of 50 @ $3.75USD. I'm perfectly willing to sell 'em off to any CA folks at cost+shipping (probably just a stamp on an envelope, so $4.25 each). I'm gonna talk to my graphic design buddy today and get a draft to Chris, but the rough idea is a simple black tag with white text. Anyone else want one?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Beach Bum posted:

Aight I talked to Chris at MotoLoot.com and it's a minimum order of 50 @ $3.75USD. I'm perfectly willing to sell 'em off to any CA folks at cost+shipping (probably just a stamp on an envelope, so $4.25 each). I'm gonna talk to my graphic design buddy today and get a draft to Chris, but the rough idea is a simple black tag with white text. Anyone else want one?

I just bought a new bike and I make terrible financial decisions. I'm in.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

mulligan posted:

If you're talking about a Duke 390, I just purchased one earlier in the week. Right off, the seat is a loving plank of wood with a cover on it.
You don't go anywhere fast and the shift light comes on real early. Though in the manual they show you how to change where in the RPM range the shift light comes on. They have it set so basically every 10MPH, the shift light comes on, change to 2nd at 20, 3rd at 30, etc...
The engine does not like to be lugged, if you are in the wrong gear for your speed, you will feel it. Getting onto 75 from 635 is a is swooping overpass, there was some traffic fuckery going on and I ended up doing 30MPH in 5th gear, the bandit would torque that poo poo out and I could power away, this thing fought for a second until i dropped a few gears. More of a learning the bike thing.
The bike is stable even at speed but will react very quickly to any input. Make sure your movements are smooth.
With my fat rear end on it (240#), the bike will do an indicated 103MPH, and will happily cruise about at 60 - 70MPH.
It revs up pretty fast and gets more RPM than I was expecting.
There's not nearly as much buzzing in the bars as I was expecting.
The gas tank is tiny, not quite 3 USgallons. Running it on the highway at 70 - 75 MPH all the time does not get you good mileage. The sweet spot seems to be in the mid-40's - mid-50's.
The side stand holds the bike nearly perpendicular to the ground. Watch where/how you park if the ground slopes in any direction.

It's a funky looking little bike and not common in Dallas at least. Lots of folks ask about it. "Is it fast?", "Nope."

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Skreemer posted:

The side stand holds the bike nearly perpendicular to the ground. Watch where/how you park if the ground slopes in any direction.
This is the most ridiculous thing about the bike. I've never seen a side stand hold a bike so vertical. I've considered cutting it down to a more reasonable size because it always feels like it's going to fall over.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Beach Bum posted:

Yes. Yes I do.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Beach Bum posted:

Yeah, Ill take two.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Beach Bum posted:

I'll take one.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i'd buy one if it said something cooler

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Beach Bum posted:

I'm always down for impulse purchases... Count me in.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Give us a shot of the proof, if you get one; I'd like to see it first, but poo poo, it's under ten bucks. I'd probably grab a couple.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Moving "SELF CONTROL" keytag discussion to the CA sale thread

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

i'd buy one if it said something cooler

:agreed:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm still in, but I wish you would explain the SELF CONTROL reference, other than the face value meaning.

Like, my "what do we say to the god of death" moto tag fills me with :hellyeah: because of the meaning behind the reference, plus the general "deny death at all costs" message.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Coydog posted:

I'm still in, but I wish you would explain the SELF CONTROL reference, other than the face value meaning.

Like, my "what do we say to the god of death" moto tag fills me with :hellyeah: because of the meaning behind the reference, plus the general "deny death at all costs" message.

Adiabatic posted:

THE FOZZ:

This is my favorite car ever:

SELF CONTROL:

Because he blows up a lot of transmissions:

Engine bay:

But wait, we have something to add:

HUEHUEHUEHUEHUE:

Idling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyk0a9zrMD8

Pissing off people at 2am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUVguNb1yAU

It looks like poo poo, sure, but he murders "Stage 3" STIs in it.

That's all, folks.

The saga continues in Adiabatic's thread here

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 16, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Gorester will rise and take us all once it tires of eating mere transmissions and shortblocks

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
OK, that car is rad and I'm on board with self control.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I guess this proves I'm not a car person because I still don't get it. Is that a shorty exhaust popping out of the bonnet? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Renaissance Robot posted:

I guess this proves I'm not a car person because I still don't get it. Is that a shorty exhaust popping out of the bonnet? :confused:

I would read the thread a bit. The car came with some really funny letters from the previous owner. Its basically a rat-rod made out of a soccer moms suv and spits fire and eats transmissions.