Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
camera bumps are beautiful #fuckyourbeautystandards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

loquacius posted:

and all the test drivers crashed into poo poo constantly, like you always do when you're trying to maneuver a car in GTA

Jeez, I didn't know people sucked at GTA so hard.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

zen death robot posted:

For whatever reason the place I work at forces people to use touchdown or whatever it's called so you have to enter a pin for the phone and another for the drat email app if you use android.

Yeah, I've got the same deal.

That and we use an MDM solution, so since iPhones allow for native Exchange integration you only have to enter in the device password and you're set, but on Android devices you have to unlock the phone AND authenticate one more time to use Touchdown.

The fact that Symantec bought TD tells you everything you need to know, really.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
re: 3rd person view car driving

a bone to pick posted:

... This is actually a great idea, though impossible.

Iunno, you could have a trailing camera drone if you wanted :shrug:

naem
May 29, 2011

LethalGeek posted:

this is perfect

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

Better yet, have the forward view be a feed where you can see your car from a 3rd-person perspective like twenty feet above and behind it, like you're playing GTA. wave of the future

There is something kind of like this for parking now. Cameras on the outside stitch a panorama of the area around your car and it shows you an overhead view on the touchscreen. I saw it in an ad for the new Volt.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how a big, bulky, ugly phone with a huge battery that lasted for days would actually do

How much does aesthetics weigh in with the average consumer's choice of phone?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

My phone with a case is probably 1 cm thick. If someone made a phone rugged enough to not need a case with that type of space budget they'd still probably free up a lot of room for the battery.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i like my iphone se because it has no camera bump but i am starting to miss the bigger screen of my prev iphone 6 so i might get a 7. i rarely use the headphone jack on my phone since i have bluetooth in my car

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Yeah, I've got the same deal.

That and we use an MDM solution, so since iPhones allow for native Exchange integration you only have to enter in the device password and you're set, but on Android devices you have to unlock the phone AND authenticate one more time to use Touchdown.

The fact that Symantec bought TD tells you everything you need to know, really.

Just wait until your company introduces the beauty of enforced conditional access. Beta OS? No email. Don't want to give your company complete access to your personal device? No email.

You are owned by your employer. Congratulations.

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
As-salamu alaykum

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Just needs the dog making GBS threads the out and the apple employee scooping them up to resell.

Its poetry, it rhymes

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Apple tracks how many times you stick things in there, why the gently caress do they need to ask users if they do use it or not?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Nonsense posted:

Apple tracks how many times you stick things in there, why the gently caress do they need to ask users if they do use it or not?

They're probably specifically targeting people who never use that jack so that when people inevitably call them loving stupid for removing the jacks from the MBPs they can say "but but but all these totally unbiased surveys THE PUBLIC filled out told us nobody ever uses them."

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

notZaar posted:

Nonsense, you just need the Apple™ DAC with analog output, now available at your local retailer for $399.99

Poor people don't understand just how poor they sound when they post stuff like this

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

This really is incredible, I didn't look at it hard enough the first time (recurring theme)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Don Tacorleone posted:

Poor people don't understand just how poor they sound when they post stuff like this

It's OK, I don't mind.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I really like to pay hundreds of dollars for a chunk of white plastic that cost literally 25 cents to make, here let me show it to you

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The one I broke charging, yeah :(

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

zen death robot posted:

I think the headphone adapter comes with the phone

Yeah, it does, but it has only 1 in, 1 out, so if you want to both listen to things and charge your phone, you need to to connect a lightning-usb hub to your phone, then the connector to that, and then the headset to that, leaving you with one port to put the charger cable in.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly when do you ever have the headphones on while you're charging? You don't listen to your music through the computer?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

zen death robot posted:

That's why I got the 7+ so I have the massive battery
I gotta admit, i'm very impressed that i can't tell if you're actually making a lukewarm attempt to defend this, or just fishing.

notZaar posted:

Honestly when do you ever have the headphones on while you're charging? You don't listen to your music through the computer?
Can you actually not imagine situations like that? As above, it's hard to tell what your posting intent is.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I use my headphone jack all the goddamn time on my apple phone my company forces me to have since it lets me drive and use the phone without having to look off the road in cars that don't have Bluetooth

why the gently caress would I want to charge a headset, wireless headsets suck after having bought one awhile back, then going back to wires

can't wait for the iphone 7h, now with headphone jack

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do iPods still have headphone jacks?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Do they still even make iPods?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm going to hang out around dog parks and jogging areas to pick up some sweet airbuds

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
In the grand scheme of things it probably doesn't make a big difference

If you're an Apple Person or there's some definitive reason you use the iPhone this probably isn't going to make you switch

Pretty cocksucker move on Apple's part though

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Don Tacorleone posted:

people who sneer at people for being poor aren't exactly worth knowing or caring about.

opus111 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 15, 2016

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm going to hang out around dog parks and jogging areas to pick up some sweet airbuds

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I don't think balking at a $400 frivolity is even indicative of being poor. No one has infinity money for dumb poo poo. You know how much beer I can buy for that. You got to balance that poo poo.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

In the grand scheme of things it probably doesn't make a big difference

If you're an Apple Person or there's some definitive reason you use the iPhone this probably isn't going to make you switch

Pretty cocksucker move on Apple's part though

Yeah that's why I'm still salty about it, I think. Take game consoles, they're also a stable duopoly. But whenever a game console maker makes an unpopular choice and figures that its fans are loyal enough that they'll stick around anyway, everyone just buys the other console and a valuable lesson is learned (ex: the PS3, the Xbone). But that doesn't apply to Apple, because Apple's fans will put up with anything.

Apple could literally tell its fans they have to eat poo poo if they want a new iPhone, and they'd all be on the Internet the next day talking about how really poo poo doesn't taste that bad (have you tried it??? that's what I thought!!!), and it's not a big deal because you just swallow it in one go without chewing and then it's over and you have an awesome new iPhone, and everyone needs to stop being a drama queen about it already, etc etc etc

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
yeah you shouldn't brag about wasting money on useless poo poo you consumer whore

in fact this is something you should be ashamed of

lol "Golden Receiver"

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

opus111 posted:

people who sneer at people for being poor aren't exactly worth knowing or caring about.

Actually we're the best kind of people

Apple doesn’t give a poo poo about neckbeard hipsters who spent thousands of dollars on expensive audiophile gear that rely on 100-year-old technology to transmit audio signals.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Don Tacorleone posted:

Actually we're the best kind of people

Apple doesn’t give a poo poo about neckbeard hipsters who spent thousands of dollars on expensive audiophile gear that rely on 100-year-old technology to transmit audio signals.

yeah why rely on a proven standard when you can rely on several peripherals to achieve the same goal

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

zen death robot posted:

I think the headphone jack thing is dumb as poo poo too but I'm not switching back to android over it because the exchange integration is shittier and I need that for work

loquacius posted:

Google won't fix this because they intentionally sabotage every interaction they can between their tech and MS's tech, but Outlook for Android is usable

Not as good as Outlook for WP was of course :rip:
Im honestly surprised to hear this as all I ever hear about is iPhones failing to sync at random and then you've had two patches for iOS that cause email attachments to get scrambled for no good reason when forwarded from an iPhone. Meanwhile I never hear a peep out of the Android people.

Edit: And iPhones will try your password EIGHT TIMES if it fails just to be sure, which locks up accounts real fast.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 15, 2016

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

LethalGeek posted:

Im honestly surprised to hear this as all I ever hear about is iPhones failing to sync at random and then you've had two patches for iOS that cause email attachments to get scrambled for no good reason when forwarded from an iPhone. Meanwhile I never hear a peep out of the Android people.

Microsoft actually has a vested interest in making sure Exchange works on Android, so they have a perfectly-fine solution in the Outlook for Android app. Which I guess doesn't meet the encryption requirements of some places of business (because again Google doesn't wanna play ball), but if your job isn't a douche it's fine.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

opus111 posted:

It's pretty funny because actual rich people are stingy as gently caress with money.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

zen death robot posted:

I think the headphone thing is dumb but it's not enough to make me buy an android because of the exchange bullshit I'd have to put up with
Fair enough.

Away all Goats posted:

It's pretty funny because actual rich people are stingy as gently caress with money.
As someone who knows a fairly affluent person personally: Yeah, they tend to consider every purchase surprisingly deeply, despite having very little reason to actually do so.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Yeah that's why I'm still salty about it, I think. Take game consoles, they're also a stable duopoly. But whenever a game console maker makes an unpopular choice and figures that its fans are loyal enough that they'll stick around anyway, everyone just buys the other console and a valuable lesson is learned (ex: the PS3, the Xbone). But that doesn't apply to Apple, because Apple's fans will put up with anything.

Apple could literally tell its fans they have to eat poo poo if they want a new iPhone, and they'd all be on the Internet the next day talking about how really poo poo doesn't taste that bad (have you tried it??? that's what I thought!!!), and it's not a big deal because you just swallow it in one go without chewing and then it's over and you have an awesome new iPhone, and everyone needs to stop being a drama queen about it already, etc etc etc

There's gotta be some kind of time limit on this though. Like imagine if they started just reaallly dropping the ball in a consequential and noticeable way and didn't stop for like a decade- would that erode their fanclub at all?

Also have they given a non-bullshit answer as to why they dropped the jack yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

There's gotta be some kind of time limit on this though. Like imagine if they started just reaallly dropping the ball in a consequential and noticeable way and didn't stop for like a decade- would that erode their fanclub at all?

Maybe, but honestly maybe not. People display a remarkable amount of doublethink when it comes to Apple. :shrug:

quote:

Also have they given a non-bullshit answer as to why they dropped the jack yet?

They don't need to, Apple apologists are already trying to minimize it everywhere it's being talked about without there even needing to be an actual upside for them to focus on

Apple hits them because it loves them

• Locked thread