Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Bill Barber posted:

Are you ordering a Jet Black 7+?

Good guess.

While it's the first time I've ever missed release day when pre-ordering. Must be heavily supply constrained.

I'm actually more concerned that I have some travel that I can't change late next week. If they ship it early, I don't want it left on my doorstep for 3 days.
Also, once I saw it I really wanted that camera to use on the trip!

Hopefully if it does ship early, whatever carrier they use will honor the "hold for signature" sign I put up for such things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CaptainCrunch posted:

Good guess.

While it's the first time I've ever missed release day when pre-ordering. Must be heavily supply constrained.

I'm actually more concerned that I have some travel that I can't change late next week. If they ship it early, I don't want it left on my doorstep for 3 days.
Also, once I saw it I really wanted that camera to use on the trip!

Hopefully if it does ship early, whatever carrier they use will honor the "hold for signature" sign I put up for such things.
Whether FedEx or UPS, you can have them hold it at a local store for you to pick up when you get back.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

But you need to consider what was added last year too. And for some even the year before that.

I doubt anyone's going from a 6S, except the ones who did the upgrade plans I guess.

Most people here are going from a 6s are they not?
I am!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Aphrodite posted:

But you need to consider what was added last year too. And for some even the year before that.

I doubt anyone's going from a 6S, except the ones who did the upgrade plans I guess.

Oh gotcha. Yeah I'm going from a 6S so I guess that's why I'm just whatever about it. Cheers!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I have a feeling we're all going to get our 256gb jet black +++ that last week of September and start seeing movement in our orders late next week

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Dont forget every major carrier is literally giving you an iphone 7 for free if you trade in a 6/6s

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Endless Mike posted:

Whether FedEx or UPS, you can have them hold it at a local store for you to pick up when you get back.

Oh yeah, I know. I have a good relation with the mail carrier who brings stuff to my street too. It's just Apple has used other carriers I'd never heard of and got my 5 left on the doorstep, ignoring the polite sign I had up for that exact reason and the tracking info went from preparing to "delivered" all at once that day so I didn't have a chance to try to get the carrier to hold it via whatever website they used.

I'm in a nice area, but it's very niceness attracts a lot of opportunistic mail theft. It's hard to prove that an unsigned for package on the doorstep was stolen.
Mostly I'm just bleating because #firstworldproblems. While I'm on my trip I won't be hurting over having to wait.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FedEx in my neighborhood won't even leave an Apple package that says NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED, which is really annoying.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Don Lapre posted:

Dont forget every major carrier is literally giving you an iphone 7 for free if you trade in a 6/6s

Contract slavery isn't free.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Don Lapre posted:

Contracts are stupid, don't do this.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bape Culture posted:

Most people here are going from a 6s are they not?
I am!

6S+ here going to 7+

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Michael Scott posted:

Contracts are stupid, don't do this.

Is it actually a contract? Or is it just a "you have to stay with us for two years to get the full value of your trade-in" pseudo contract?

It doesn't really matter either way, it's not like I'm gonna switch from Verizon anyway.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is it actually a contract? Or is it just a "you have to stay with us for two years to get the full value of your trade-in" pseudo contract?

It doesn't really matter either way, it's not like I'm gonna switch from Verizon anyway.

From what I understand you have to stay the 2 years AND you have to use the same device for 2 years?

If the device or plan is removed within 2 years, apparently the discount is not prorated and you owe the full amount immediately.

Dunno what you mean by pseudo-contract, it is literally a contract.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Its the second one.

If you leave service you pay the remaining balance of the phone (and keep it) or hand the phone back in.

You dont have to keep using the same device. You just have to have the payment contract going.

every month they charge a payment and every month they give a credit. If you pay it off early the credits stop, if you cancel service early the payments stop.

Speaking for tmobile here, assuming the other carriers are the same.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 15, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The terms of the Verizon one said you have to keep the same device, I believe, though I might have been misinterpreting.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
For gently caress's sake, pickup unavailable for the watch.

Tiny Man Thinking Big
Apr 24, 2005

Somehow I imagined this experience would be more rewarding.

I'm behind the times. I've been using an iPhone 5 for the past 4 years. Battery started dying back in May. Struggle all summer long by constantly staying near an outlet while waiting for this release. My order arrived at Nashville this afternoon so I will probably get mine before noon tomorrow. :dance:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

SKY COQ posted:

For gently caress's sake, pickup unavailable for the watch.

Yeah, my friend is dragging me with her tomorrow to stand in line at the Apple store because she wants to buy the S2. I told her she's delusional but eh, I'll go anyway. Who doesn't like skipping work for a hopeless cause?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, my friend is dragging me with her tomorrow to stand in line at the Apple store because she wants to buy the S2. I told her she's delusional but eh, I'll go anyway. Who doesn't like skipping work for a hopeless cause?

I'm more annoyed that I was told in the Apple Store last weekend that I'd be able to reserve one for pickup today, but it looks like that option is just flat out unavailable for the S2.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I haven't actually gone to an Apple Store to buy a new release since the 3GS (which I lucked out and got as a walk-in). Is a check-in window just the time I go in to pick it up? Is there any hope of being able to get it earlier than that, or is that a fool's errand?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They won't let you get it any earlier than your scheduled time.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Wonder if they'll take walk-ins by Sunday or if it'll still be a madhouse in a major city?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Looks like no 7+ phones in a lot of stores. Rumor is Apple didn't get any either (emphasis on rumor).

Hope anyone lining up to get a phone wants a regular sized 7.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Rumor is Apple didn't get any either (emphasis on rumor).
It's not a rumor. Apple confirmed that the 7+ and Jet Black 7 are completely sold out and are not available for walk-in customers tomorrow.

quote:

We couldn’t be happier with the initial response to iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, and we are looking forward to beginning sales through our retail stores and partners around the world.

Beginning Friday, limited quantities of iPhone 7 in silver, gold, rose gold, and black will be available for walk-in customers at Apple retail stores. During the online pre-order period, initial quantities of iPhone 7 Plus in all finishes and iPhone 7 in jet black sold out and will not be available for walk-in customers. Availability at partner locations for all finishes may vary and we recommend checking directly with them.

Customers can continue to order all models in all colors on apple.com. We sincerely appreciate our customers’ patience as we work hard to get the new iPhone into the hands of everyone who wants one as quickly as possible.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm hoping a local carrier store has some/any. I really don't want to wait until October because I'm impatient and the deadly sin that affects me the most is greed.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Had the morning off so decided to take a shot at Walk-in for two watches and a 7 after I hit the gym. The nice employees are passing out coffee and water. Nice touch.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

This thread was talking about Asian folks buying up phones like crazy? There are several in my line with luggage. Actually has the airport tags with today's date on them.

Weird

:tali:

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Croatoan posted:

Mine'll be here on the 16th. Why are y'all so excited though? This one seems to be kind of a boring upgrade. I did mine just because I have the sprint iphone forever plan. Am I missing something other than it's a bit faster and the battery may not suck as much? Not a troll, I just wondered what the hubbub was.

I'm going to from a 6s to a 7 plus, so I'm more excited about the regular to plus switch than the 6s to 7 switch. I'm really hoping it comes sooner than the 10/4-10/10 window I got when I ordered last week.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Line wasn't too bad this morning. Took a bit longer since everyone ahead of me asked for the whole lets open and activate the phone and restore your back and walk you through everything. I got my box and got to work where the phone is now going through the firmware update and restoring the backup.

Black Apple Leather with Black phone looks good but man that naked black matte is sexy as hell. I may end up returning the case.

Oh hey the Apple leather case buttons are now buttons and not leather. That's new.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 16, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Black Apple Leather with Black phone looks good but man that naked black matte is sexy as hell. I may end up returning the case.
I'm leaning the same way, especially since I seem to get more value from trading in than reselling, so it just needs to be functioning without a cracked screen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My issue did turn out to be just a missed scan, and my phone left Louisville last night.

However it only got out of customs at 8:30, which is a little tight for delivery today since it still has another stop before it goes on a truck.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

TraderStav posted:

This thread was talking about Asian folks buying up phones like crazy? There are several in my line with luggage. Actually has the airport tags with today's date on them.

Weird

:tali:

Whoa buddy, why you gotta say they have luggage? How is that relevant to the story? Are you saying it would be okay if they didn't have luggage??

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

My issue did turn out to be just a missed scan, and my phone left Louisville last night.

However it only got out of customs at 8:30, which is a little tight for delivery today since it still has another stop before it goes on a truck.

This is true. Trucks go out hella early.

Anyone with an October ship date get any good news?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

I have another, unrelated package going to the same UPS depot though and it's still not on a truck.

So I don't know if UPS is delaying things to avoid calls from a bunch of angry iPhone buyers, or they're just missing scans all over the place. I'll know by 1ish I guess, that's when our UPS guy passes.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

LODGE NORTH posted:

Still the same for me. I really don't mind. My 6 is fine and iOS10 is nice and fast.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Aphrodite posted:

My wife's went from Monday to today but hit an issue and is stuck in Louisville and says tomorrow which is minorly blowful since I can't guarantee where I'll be tomorrow...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

LODGE NORTH posted:

9/27 delivery date. Moved to Preparing for Shipment today.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Feenix posted:

9/27 delivery date. Moved to Preparing for Shipment today.

Good to see stuff seeming to get out early, hopefully us October schlubs get some shipping notifications next week.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Whoa buddy, why you gotta say they have luggage? How is that relevant to the story? Are you saying it would be okay if they didn't have luggage??

I'm saying it's weird as hell to have it in this context. Did they fly in just to get some devices? I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I mean, who knows how long it will be in "preparing" but I think, historically, that's been a sign it's doing something within the next couple days.

• Locked thread