Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

NTRabbit posted:

Guildball and Dreadball own the space now, and they're much better and cheaper games to boot.

Also, Mantic announced the name of their replacement for Project Pandora and not-Space Hulk competitor game today: Star Saga

Guild ball doesn't even have anything remotely approaching the same mechanics though. It's a skirmish game with a sports theme whereas Blood bowl is a board game with player level up system.

I honestly don't understand how people can get excited about the blood bowl release since the rules are supposed to be unchanged from LRB6. If you liked the game you would be playing it already. If you like GW's jewel like objects of wonder than I guess you are a chump that will give GW money.

Also league rules are separated from the core rules so laffo at day one DLC for a board game GW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

sinburger posted:

I honestly don't understand how people can get excited about the blood bowl release since the rules are supposed to be unchanged from LRB6. If you liked the game you would be playing it already. If you like GW's jewel like objects of wonder than I guess you are a chump that will give GW money.

I'm excited about it because I hope it means more players. I would love to play in a league, and despite living in the 5th largest city in the USA I can't find locals to play with so its all online with FUMBBL or once a year at Gen Con. Not the same as sitting down regularly and playing with plastic and metal mans and imaginary spiky balls.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

nesbit37 posted:

I'm excited about it because I hope it means more players. I would love to play in a league, and despite living in the 5th largest city in the USA I can't find locals to play with so its all online with FUMBBL or once a year at Gen Con. Not the same as sitting down regularly and playing with plastic and metal mans and imaginary spiky balls.

Fair enough, I was lucky enough that when AoS dropped our club basically went 50/50 blood bowl / warmahordes.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm pretty sure that there is something like points values in Monopoly. Each player only gets to use one piece, so there's a theoretical balance there.

Of course, in actuality everyone know the top hat is better than the thimble, but I don't know how much you can blame Hasbro for the meta.

????? I am alarmed that "monopoly iron scooter" does not turn up ages of fan art. It is the only one that makes sense.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

S.J. posted:

I would be excited about a BFG and Epic relaunch if GW had hired the rules design out to a competent company.

But that would require them to realize their own rules are bollocks.

(Though I've heard good things from the last Epic edition. Shame it got killed for not selling enough, aka clearly being not of high enough quality according to GW logic.)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I'm pretty glad in saying that if they rereleased mordheim I probably wouldn't be fuckin bothered. I've been playing a lot of Warmamans lately and it's very cool and good

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib
Bitch more about those prices.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Re: FFG and GW parting ways and what this means for the games based on GW properties, it's important to note that Forbidden Stars, for example, is an updated and 40K-ified version of their old Starcraft board game, and as someone else upthread mentioned the game Rex is a Twilight Imperium skinned version of the old out-of-print Dune boardgame with a few tweaks. There's nothing stopping FFG from rebranding their GW licensed games into other versions down the line assuming they feel like doing so and/or there's enough demand for them. Game mechanics are separate from trade dress.

It fuckin sucks though because apparently there was a Forbidden Stars expansion all designed up and ready to enter production/publication that's had to be completely scrapped thanks to this, so some dude's hard work just got flushed down the toilet along with everything else, and it's up in the air if/when FFG will decide to try and reissue any of those games again. Chaos in the Old World reskin using their Rune Wars/Descent setting? Maybe, but it could be years down the line.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

potentiallycool posted:

Bitch more about those prices.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marines

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Drone posted:

If the break means that FFG is now free to turn Imperial Assault into an actual honest-to-god wargame (or introduce one using the Imperial Assault minis), then only good will come of this.

Super 3 posted:

This, please let this be a thing.

This may or may not interest you in the meantime:

http://rebel-assault.com/

I'm waiting until they produce some more rules but overall I think the Imperial Assault system is mostly ready to be turned into a large scale game. LoS and Movement are the big question marks I have. But at least someone's actively trying to turn it into that. Official rules would be better, but I'll take what I can get.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Didn't the General's Handbook turn Age of Sigmar into an actual game? Has anybody tried it?

I play lots of AoS, so yeah I've tried it.

It added:

List construction requirements (You need X number of 'battleline' units and are limited to X number of heroes/monsters/warmachines at each point level)
Allegiance benefits for sticking to the same grand faction (Order, Death, Chaos, Destruction). So you get some traits and an artifact when you stick to just 'Order', for instance. Which is easy to do right now. Eventually I'm guessing all the new subfactions (Like the Orc Ironjawz) will get subfaction allegiance benefits.
Subfaction battlelines. So if you play only Dragon Ogre keyword models you can use Dragon Ogres as your battleline troops.
Matched play scenarios. Pretty much copped from Warmahordes, but these help prevent the big pile-up in the middle syndrome.

Overall it's better, but not good. It's still an unbalanced mess where the game is won in the list-building phase.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Guy Goodbody posted:

I like that they're probably the best engineers in the universe and would have far surpassed all the other races technologically, except that they never write anything down.

Like that ork flyer that should actually work the way its intended, unlike the flying bricks of the space marines.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Doresh posted:

(Though I've heard good things from the last Epic edition. Shame it got killed for not selling enough, aka clearly being not of high enough quality according to GW logic.)

I don't think anyone who worked on that except Jervis is still around, and Jervis has Bad Opinions.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Kai Tave posted:

It fuckin sucks though because apparently there was a Forbidden Stars expansion all designed up and ready to enter production/publication that's had to be completely scrapped thanks to this, so some dude's hard work just got flushed down the toilet along with everything else, and it's up in the air if/when FFG will decide to try and reissue any of those games again. Chaos in the Old World reskin using their Rune Wars/Descent setting? Maybe, but it could be years down the line.

Yea the developer did a writeup about it on BGG's forum. It sounded interesting. And without an expansion the game is now sorta dead for me which is really a shame.

I dunno if they could move CITOW into Runebound. The mechanics are very god focused and the setting doesn't yet have anything along those lines.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

There is a stack of games that have all been rebranded last minute to avoid the Ham licence but still save all the development time from going to waste.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I probably would play a rebranded star wars forbidden stars game. Rebellion is really bad and I'm sad there hasn't been a good SW board game aside from x-wing since it just attracts quick cash grab games instead of cool economic/4x/worker placement developers.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Well, to be fair, Star Wars isn't really what I think of when I think of settings with the potential to portray rich economics. And no, the Trade Federation doesn't count.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Avenging Dentist posted:

Well, to be fair, Star Wars isn't really what I think of when I think of settings with the potential to portray rich economics. And no, the Trade Federation doesn't count.

Build the death star economic game by utilizing your alien "colonists" a la Puerto Rico.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Arkham Universe, play as one of the old gods trying to take over the universe before another claims it as it's price.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It is sad, my friend called me up about all the Blood Angel and Chaos rumors getting him excited to play and I just listened to him for a while. He then asks my opinion and I just have to say I don't care. Like, enjoy your formations I guess? It's not like GW is going to put out a legit codex anytime soon. Just keep piling on that poo poo.

I like hanging out and playing games. But if it was between a bad game and a good game I'd rather play a good game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Just FYI, this thread is really good: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789940&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Blood Bowl is cool but I get my fix entirely from the computer game these days, no need to pay whatever ridiculous prices they're going to want for teams.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Swagger Dagger posted:

Blood Bowl is cool but I get my fix entirely from the computer game these days, no need to pay whatever ridiculous prices they're going to want for teams.

Yeah, I'd love to have more Blood Bowl in my life, but the various video game incarnations of BB are all better than buying overly-expensive minis, painting them, and then trying to play through its incredibly crunchy rules over the tabletop. My average BB game on a PC takes around 45 minutes to an hour, I shudder to think at the colossal waste of time it would be when played on a tabletop.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Chill la Chill posted:

I probably would play a rebranded star wars forbidden stars game. Rebellion is really bad and I'm sad there hasn't been a good SW board game aside from x-wing since it just attracts quick cash grab games instead of cool economic/4x/worker placement developers.

I heard Rebellion was really good! What's up with it?

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

fnordcircle posted:

This may or may not interest you in the meantime:

http://rebel-assault.com/

I'm waiting until they produce some more rules but overall I think the Imperial Assault system is mostly ready to be turned into a large scale game. LoS and Movement are the big question marks I have. But at least someone's actively trying to turn it into that. Official rules would be better, but I'll take what I can get.

A guy at my club threw together a SW game out of Frostgrave rules and painted Imperial Assault minis. Looked like fun, but wished he'd varied the sides a little instead of it being a mirror match.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Avenging Dentist posted:

I don't think anyone who worked on that except Jervis is still around, and Jervis has Bad Opinions.

You either leave as a hero, or work long enough to become a villain. No one escapes the Eye of Terror that is GW.

Avenging Dentist posted:

I don't want to think about the economic state of a setting that didn't have any significant technological advancements in thousands of years.

Does C-3PO count as a Necron Lord?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You guys don't have enough imagination of you can't think of a cool asymmetric economic resource management game for Star Wars. I mean look at twilight struggle or forbidden stars. Except imagine more solitaire economic resource engines a la dominion instead of 18XX games. Rebellion was supposed to be that but it's little more than risk with the monotony and dice rolling.

Taear posted:

I heard Rebellion was really good! What's up with it?

Rebellion feels more like the hand management/dice rolling of risk than anything deep. The decks' randomness is p much risk. Here's a good review of what I'm talking about : https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1574566/review-star-wars-rebellion-honest-one

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
There might actually be an interesting economics game buried in the Star Wars lore. If I were to design it, I would have it be set up as an asymmetrical game where one player controls the Empire and the other players control smugglers. The Rebellion exists as a time/pressure/end game mechanic. The Empire would start with an abundance of resources, ships, troops, capital, whatever. The smugglers would each start with a single ship and little else. The smugglers' goal is to complete runs to amass wealth with which to upgrade their ships and hire crew and score victory points. The Empire would have just enough resources to block some but not all of the smugglers or some but not all of the ever growing Rebellion. The Rebellion would whittle away at the Empire's resources and would end the game if it grew to a certain size. By slowing the Rebellion, the Empire would score some VPs, but less than what the smugglers could score on a really good run. If they went after the smugglers exclusively, the Rebellion would eventually break the Empire and end the game, but maybe not before the Empire scored enough VPs to win the game in spite of their ultimate narrative defeat. Now obviously the smugglers would be competing against each other for ship upgrades and crews and sabotaging each other along the way as well. They might even collude with the Empire! But I doubt such a game would ever exist.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Guys that game already exists and it's as grognardy as gently caress Down with the Empire. It's basically Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Tekopo posted:

Guys that game already exists and it's as grognardy as gently caress Down with the Empire. It's basically Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off.

Anything you can think of has been done I guess, though obviously it's not exactly the same as my brainstorming above, it's close enough.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Safety Factor posted:

I'm a terrible nerd and built my own Blood Bowl field and a bunch of converted teams about a year or so ago. Chalk me up as excited about a relaunch. I can actually get games in and bust out my Lizardmen before anyone else has access to them. :smug: The rules will still be a mess that actively hates its players, but that's part of the charm.

Yeah I converted up an undead team out of stuff since I hated the official models. BB is a game I absolutely hate but really want to like. It's the sort of thing where you want to play a league but when you can only play one match a week and you lose it because of one bullshit roll and then your guy dies it's aggravating and not fun. Even when it's the other guy you just feel bad more than anything. I've just come to terms that the game isn't for me (I'm not alone in getting legit mad when bad luck in that game happens) but I think it's cool that they are re-releasing it because a lot of people really like it and that's great for them.

I may be late with this but in regards to the Fantasy Flight breakup an insider at FF apparently heard some rumors from working there. The dude wasn't at the level that he was given direct information but stuff got around. The gist was that Games Workshop was becoming increasingly angry at FF's intrusion into their product space and wanted them to discontinue all miniature games such as X Wing, Imperial Assault, and if they knew about it I'm sure Runewars. I bet behind closed doors there was some seriously laughter about that threat. I think we all assumed that was the case but it's the first I've heard form anyone supposedly working there.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 16, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Radish posted:

I may be late with this but in regards to the Fantasy Flight breakup an insider at FF apparently heard some rumors from working there. The dude wasn't at the level that he was given direct information but stuff got around. The gist was that Games Workshop was becoming increasingly angry at FF's intrusion into their product space and wanted them to discontinue all miniature games such as X Wing, Imperial Assault, and if they knew about it I'm sure Runewars. I bet behind closed doors there was some seriously laughter about that threat. I think we all assumed that was the case but it's the first I've heard form anyone supposedly working there.
Well that's weird. GW had no compunction about destroying their decades-old IP (which included the paint sets they tried so hard to rename) for a massed battle system just a year ago. Why would they be afraid of Runewars?

Tekopo posted:

That game looks like Rebellion and is probably just as bad if not worse. We were trying to brainstorm something better above.

"a) That combat is two stacks of chits bumping into one another until one runs out of chits OR resorting to CRT, and
b) keeping the narrative aspect of the characters while simultaneously pulling some of the focus away from them.

It's hair-pullingly frustrating. If you're interested in specifics I can provide, otherwise I'll let you know how it goes."

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

There was an LP of Down with the Empire and it's random as hell. It was a lot of fun watching it being played but actually playing it would be hell. The best thing about it was the economy of the game and the way that the rebels gained incremental gains on the way to rebellion and in essence it seemed to outline some of the things you wanted. Also the way that the leaders are dealt with is better than rebellion. The problem again is combat, which didn't seem great.

Game is nothing like rebellion except for a similar theme.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Radish posted:

Not sure if true or not, but it seems fitting for Games "Pokemon is just a fad" Workshop to demand for FFG to drop one of the most lucrative licenses out there in favor of an increasingly obscure one that only really seems to still exist because of diehard fans and brand recognition.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Doresh posted:

Not sure if true or not, but it seems fitting for Games "Pokemon is just a fad" Workshop to demand for FFG to drop one of the most lucrative licenses out there in favor of an increasingly obscure one that only really seems to still exist because of diehard fans and brand recognition.

Yeah the kind of hubris there that GW went nuclear on re-uping their deal because their partner wouldn't cut ties with probably the most lucrative license in nerd culture and perhaps all culture to make them feel better is something that I could totally believe idiotic GW executives having. It makes it even funnier when it's basically JUST the 40k license since they killed their Fantasy universe, I'm assuming, without telling FFG because they were in the process of selling Warhammer Quest and just released some expansion packs for it.

I'd really love to know if GW was throwing around the Age of Sigmar universe as a reason that FFG totally needed to exit miniature games and make totally successful board games with that setting.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If it was any other company I'd say that sounds like nonsense, there's no way a licensor would be trying to tell a company they're doing business with that they have to drop several extremely high-profile games of theirs because they don't like that they might be infringing on their market share, but Games Workshop is so badly managed that I can't actually dismiss that possibility outright. If true it also makes the decision on FFG's part an easy one as I doubt that the money their various GW licensed products brought in could hope to match the money their Star Wars stuff brings in. Hell, X-Wing on its own might be more profitable than the GW-branded stuff all together.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Atlas Hugged posted:

There might actually be an interesting economics game buried in the Star Wars lore.
Your description sounds pretty much exactly like the COIN (COunter-INsurgency) games of the ilk of "Cuba Libre" (about the Cuban Revolution)or "Falling Skies" (the Roman loss of Gaul) or "A Distant Plain" (the modern war against the Taliban in Afghanistan). Over in the "Armchair Generals" thread, these (especially Cuba Libre) are pretty much universally regarded as "good games." You could probably file the serial numbers off of Cuba Libre (play the Empire as the government, the Rebellion as MS, the Hutts as the Syndicate, etc) and have a pretty sweet game that would probably make a ton of money.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ilor posted:

Your description sounds pretty much exactly like the COIN (COunter-INsurgency) games of the ilk of "Cuba Libre" (about the Cuban Revolution)or "Falling Skies" (the Roman loss of Gaul) or "A Distant Plain" (the modern war against the Taliban in Afghanistan). Over in the "Armchair Generals" thread, these (especially Cuba Libre) are pretty much universally regarded as "good games." You could probably file the serial numbers off of Cuba Libre (play the Empire as the government, the Rebellion as MS, the Hutts as the Syndicate, etc) and have a pretty sweet game that would probably make a ton of money.

I would no doubt play Cuba Libre (rogue one is coming out soon!) with updated Star Wars art. I know that the art and game pieces don't really matter, but let's not kid ourselves when we're all suckers once for nice GW minis.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

If it was any other company I'd say that sounds like nonsense, there's no way a licensor would be trying to tell a company they're doing business with that they have to drop several extremely high-profile games of theirs because they don't like that they might be infringing on their market share, but Games Workshop is so badly managed that I can't actually dismiss that possibility outright. If true it also makes the decision on FFG's part an easy one as I doubt that the money their various GW licensed products brought in could hope to match the money their Star Wars stuff brings in. Hell, X-Wing on its own might be more profitable than the GW-branded stuff all together.

Yeah. GW famously wants to pretend that they are the only legitimate game in town when it comes to miniature wargaming and promotes that idea with their customers and fans. I'm sure a company selling products with their name on it also making a successful mini game wasn't popular with their executives. It's stupid since I highly doubt that Xwing is cutting into their market that they actively aren't chasing off with poo poo rules, bad writing and world design, and obscene pricing but I'm sure to them they are owed their customer's money.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Hello goons I want a halfling warlock model for my new d&d campaign. Anyone have any ideas? I already checked reaper and I'm not too thrilled

I'll also take some sort of nightmare child scenario like that dreamer kid in the malifaux box as well

Edit: anything with a cthulu/eldritch slant is preferred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Business Gorillas posted:

Hello goons I want a halfling warlock model for my new d&d campaign. Anyone have any ideas? I already checked reaper and I'm not too thrilled

I'll also take some sort of nightmare child scenario like that dreamer kid in the malifaux box as well

Edit: anything with a cthulu/eldritch slant is preferred

Maybe one of the Stonehaven Halflings will do? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2087444096/halfling-adventurers-miniatures/description

Not sure when they go on general release though.

• Locked thread