Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey here is a character we have done our best to make you like. now watch them get tortured and mutilated! i hate that kind of lazy manipulative bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I haven't watched the new episode yet but I'm assuming it somehow manages to top the brain lobotomy from the last episode?

Imagine the lobotomy being bloodier and lasting for 15+ minutes straight.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
In less gruesome news, Juzo is confirmed to be in love with Munakata, so there's that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad for him

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hope my friend Juzo does well in his future endeavors and finds someone to help him through his personal issues and become a less toxic person. This person will also hopefully not stab him for no reason as well.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Haven't seen the episode yet due to the sub delays (I've just seen summaries of what happened), but I take it my gut feeling that it was going to be brutal turned out to be horribly, horribly right.

I had a feeling this was where Chiaki's death would happen. But it seems like it happens in such a way that the odds of her surviving in a surprise twist are but an infinitesimal speck.

But apparently she got through to Izuru/Hajime in the end? This might only be the catalyst that turns Izuru against Junko, but remember that Izuru has all the talents. It's a very long shot, but who's to say he couldn't rebuild her? Does he have the technology?

My feeling is that Kyoko has better odds than her at this point, simply because of the Cure-W foreshadowing. But who's the 13th branch leader if it isn't Chiaki? Maybe they won't be revealed because they aren't important, but if that's the case why stick Hina in the 13th branch rather than putting all the DR1 survivors in the 14th branch? Plus there's the fact that they're showing us very little of what's happening at Jabberwock Island. Though it's possible that what they're hiding is whether or not the former Remnants fell back into despair.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Axle_Stukov posted:

In less gruesome news, Juzo is confirmed to be in love with Munakata, so there's that.

Well, he did doom Hope's Peak (and probably the world) by betraying Munakata just because he didn't want him to know he was gay for him. I'd say that's plenty gruesome!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wyvernil posted:

Haven't seen the episode yet due to the sub delays (I've just seen summaries of what happened), but I take it my gut feeling that it was going to be brutal turned out to be horribly, horribly right.

I had a feeling this was where Chiaki's death would happen. But it seems like it happens in such a way that the odds of her surviving in a surprise twist are but an infinitesimal speck.

But apparently she got through to Izuru/Hajime in the end? This might only be the catalyst that turns Izuru against Junko, but remember that Izuru has all the talents. It's a very long shot, but who's to say he couldn't rebuild her? Does he have the technology?

My feeling is that Kyoko has better odds than her at this point, simply because of the Cure-W foreshadowing. But who's the 13th branch leader if it isn't Chiaki? Maybe they won't be revealed because they aren't important, but if that's the case why stick Hina in the 13th branch rather than putting all the DR1 survivors in the 14th branch? Plus there's the fact that they're showing us very little of what's happening at Jabberwock Island. Though it's possible that what they're hiding is whether or not the former Remnants fell back into despair.

Summery of the episode just to help you out.

Chiaki is stabbed through the foot, has her head bashed in by iron balls, is stabbed/shot in the leg numerous times, impaled like Mukuro in DR1 and is tortured in other various ways till she's a bloody twitching mess on the floor. Izuru kinda walks up to her and does his "I don't understand why you're trying to help me??" thing and she just kinda... writhes on the ground saying that she just wanted to play one more game before dying face down in a pool of her own blood. Izuru picks up her hairpin and begins crying while still serious faced. That's about the extent of "getting through to him."

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Jesus. That just sounds downright unpleasant. At this point I have to wonder what the heck audience there is for that kind of stuff.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, it isn't like the gratuitous gore is a new addition. some of the executions were incredibly nasty. however, the difference is that even though those people were coerced, they were still murderers. people who did nothing wrong getting the same treatment makes for a big difference.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
That's true, but at the same time the executions were usually quicker and much more black comedy. Leon's might have been the only real disturbing one, being way more direct and less over the top than the rest.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

The Bee posted:

Jesus. That just sounds downright unpleasant. At this point I have to wonder what the heck audience there is for that kind of stuff.

this is just another act of despair for us to overcome

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I will consider dropping Despair arc since I like Chiaki and no.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Those black bars and other comments, gently caress. :stare: this is going to suck to watch isn't it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I haven't had a chance to watch the episode yet, because no subs.

I know what's coming.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 15, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

And there they are.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
C'mon guys Izuru is right there and he's the SHSL Everything so he totally can do something!!!

You need to have hope! :ohdear:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Okay. This episode was dreadful, and it was also gross, Hooray! I don't think I can take it anymore. It feels like it's bad at everything it is trying to accomplish? Like, I think I'm supposed to be feel despair at how brutally Nanami was killed but I just feel disgusted and how pointless it was.

I dunno, man.

I'd like to drop it but I'm not sure if I can at this point.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 15, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Completely Average Ahoge, Lucky Ahoge, Convicted Ahoge, and Normie Ahoge.

Hey, one guy survived.

He just got killed by a guy with an ahoge later.

Robo guy from v3 also has an ahoge so he gets to have a spot in the ahoge club

At least this confirms that Izuru wasn't completely without his memories given that he teared up at Chiaki's death even if he consciously didn't understand why. I guess Izuru/Hinata will come to the rescue at the end to finally avenge Chiaki's death that was committed, in part, by Yukizome.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
I'm surprised they put in the effort for that one-sec scene of Chiaki drawn like the game cutscenes

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I can't wait to watch this.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

hey here is a character we have done our best to make you like. now watch them get tortured and mutilated! i hate that kind of lazy manipulative bullshit.

please be excited for gen urobuchi's next work

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Yinlock posted:

please be excited for gen urobuchi's next work

Anguirus, no!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm not even disappointed that Chiaki was killed, since that was a given, or that it was so lovingly rendered as I am that the episode is basically a complete waste. Nothing else happens in it. I'm sure glad that they skipped over developing say, Souda, to have this episode, instead.

DR3's had some good moments but man, overall it's looking like it should get dumped in the trash with everything that isn't DR1 or 2.

The Bee posted:

The kind that has a massive erection while watching it.

Ignis posted:

Well, he did doom Hope's Peak (and probably the world) by betraying Munakata just because he didn't want him to know he was gay for him. I'd say that's plenty gruesome!

Guess we know why Munakata stabbed him now.

Serious Frolicking posted:

well, it isn't like the gratuitous gore is a new addition. some of the executions were incredibly nasty. however, the difference is that even though those people were coerced, they were still murderers. people who did nothing wrong getting the same treatment makes for a big difference.

That is some serious moon logic.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 15, 2016

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Did anyone make a press F to pay respects joke or am I the first??

http://i.imgur.com/uL1r1To.png

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 15, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I do think it is very strange that she appears to be absolutely dead when the identity of the 13th branch leader is still an unknown.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So you can probably skip todays episode. It's kind of disgusting.

I found the last three or so episodes worse, to be honest.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I found the last three or so episodes worse, to be honest.

At least stuff happened in them.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Gee Nanami-san, why does your mom let you have two executions!?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So in future the count is Naegi, Munakata, Mitarai, Asahina, Mastermind and possible Kirigiri/other ep 9 survivor right? Byakuya and Yasuhiro were never added since they aren't playing correct?

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

voltcatfish posted:

I do think it is very strange that she appears to be absolutely dead when the identity of the 13th branch leader is still an unknown.

It's going to turn out to be a cameo from one of the KillerKiller characters. Unless Izuru's talent list include Necromancer too.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Axle_Stukov posted:

It's going to turn out to be a cameo from one of the KillerKiller characters. Unless Izuru's talent list include Necromancer too.

In a clever red herring, it won't be relevant at all.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I giggled in today's episode because this series kind of falls flat when its violence gets so graphic. This and the student council episode are both so extreme they just came off as comedic, especially because they're were trying so hard to be serious and disturbing.

Also this isn't a huge deal or anything, but it took a really long time for Nanami to die. Maizono was stabbed once and died shortly thereafter -- free Leon Kuwata -- so it's a little strange to see Nanami get skewered and bludgeoned and bleed pretty much all the way out and still have energy to move and speak.

anyway, something I didn't really think about until this episode: the text in the opening that pops for an instant between transitions. over Chisa it says "hope will break you." I took this to mean hope corrupts her in some way, but now we know she was just brain despaired, so I wonder if that text is a reference to the mind controlling power of that dude's anime.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 15, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah I glossed over a lot of the punishment. It wasn't as bad as the chainsaw or the lobotomy the last couple of episodes, but the extent they went through it was unneeded.

Honestly the thing I probably enjoyed the most was Juzo's secret. Oh Juzo, you actually got more interesting after you died, and also partly because Ruruka took your place as worst person. I'm actually surprised he didn't fall to Despair along the way.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I sort of wonder what the point of executing Chiaki in such an over the top way was, in a meta sense. Pretty much everyone with two brain cells to rub together could have guessed she'd die even if they didn't regard it as the most likely theory, but they went all out on making it gory. Was it just to be DESPAIR GOTCHA because a fan favorite died? Because that's literally exactly what they did in Danganronpa 2

Even if the ending turns out to be great, I'm really disappointed. I'd hoped Future would have had more to do with the outside world and what kind of shape it's in, and side despair to be more about the DR2 cast and how they slid into despair. Instead they just get ~CORRUPTED~ like a Warcraft plot that was rejected for being to hackneyed.

I liked the cast from both games, and it's sad that the series is ending on a wet fart.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I think they just really wanted to get a reaction out of the viewer

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

I think they just really wanted to get a reaction out of the viewer

Most likely and I have to admit, they did get a strong reaction from me at the very least, but probably not the one they wanted.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Honestly the thing I probably enjoyed the most was Juzo's secret. Oh Juzo, you actually got more interesting after you died, and also partly because Ruruka took your place as worst person. I'm actually surprised he didn't fall to Despair along the way.

:gay: directly contributed to the end of the world

i can't believe it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

voltcatfish posted:

:gay: directly contributed to the end of the world

i can't believe it

the republicans tried to warn us, we didn't listen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Anatharon posted:

I sort of wonder what the point of executing Chiaki in such an over the top way was, in a meta sense. Pretty much everyone with two brain cells to rub together could have guessed she'd die even if they didn't regard it as the most likely theory, but they went all out on making it gory. Was it just to be DESPAIR GOTCHA because a fan favorite died? Because that's literally exactly what they did in Danganronpa 2

Even if the ending turns out to be great, I'm really disappointed. I'd hoped Future would have had more to do with the outside world and what kind of shape it's in, and side despair to be more about the DR2 cast and how they slid into despair. Instead they just get ~CORRUPTED~ like a Warcraft plot that was rejected for being to hackneyed.

I liked the cast from both games, and it's sad that the series is ending on a wet fart.

Honestly, the first 10-15 minutes actually brought me back to the first two episodes where you actually had the DR2 cast interacting.

Actually, if they didn't need to tie it back to Future you could have still had the entire show be about the DR2 cast - just introduce Chisa as a new character that ultimately ends up dooming the cast. You can cut out all the flak with Juzo and Kyosuke and that one episode dedicated to Seiko/Ruruka.

• Locked thread