Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

JuffoWup posted:

Hey guys, guess what. It is time for wargaming to talk about our favorite little real life pubbie ship.. the william d porter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-NzOvUTDyU

WG should have some fun and make a Willie D. premium, a Tier VII Fletcher with a gun reload, steering gear shift, and turret traverse that's twice as long and a random single torpedo that fires every once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Ice Fist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGOK3gMFUqE

Video for the aforementioned Colorado game

I think that Texas driver might be a bit miffed.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

ArchangeI posted:

I think that Texas driver might be a bit miffed.

16 inch shells can absolutely melt steel beams.

All three of those ships I came across in that cyclone were driven by idiots. The Kongo remained broadside on to me through three salvos. The Omaha, probably trying very hard to torp me but couldn't because he was behind the Texas and was probably in danger of torping him by accident, was also broadside on at very close range, and the Texas, although he punished me hard during my death turn, was only slightly angled when he ate that double citadel + 3 pens. If those players had any kind of coordination or angled at all I probably would have been way worse off but lol pubbies.

I even mentioned it in chat before the game ended: Just way too many people giving me broadsides.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MoraleHazard posted:

WG should have some fun and make a Willie D. premium, a Tier VII Fletcher with a gun reload, steering gear shift, and turret traverse that's twice as long and a random single torpedo that fires every once in a while.

My idea was that it'd have a crappy sigma, an increased chance of detonation (and be unable to equip the signal or module to reduce it), and its torpedoes would be hidden from its teammates as if they were enemy torps.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

ZombieLenin posted:

I find myself really surprised by the fact that I really like destroyer gameplay. So far I've got the American line to the Nicholas and I'm very near the Minekaze.

If I were to pick one line to concentrate on, what should it be? I like them currently about equally. The American destroyers for their survivability and the Japanese destroyers for those lovely long range torps.

The American line has no real stinkers. The Farragut at T6 isn't phenomenal, but it works, and much better than its other 2 counterparts. The T7 Mahan is not bad, though the Kiev is a very good ship so it doesn't take the top spot. If you like the Mahan, you will DEFINITELY like the Sims.

The Benson remains a very powerful DD at 8, and you'll want to keep one for Ranked if you didn't spring for a Lo Yang (or don't want to train up a 15 point chinese captain). The Fletcher is borderline OP at 9, and the Gearing has torpedoes the Shimakaze wishes it had at T10. Because the US DDs should have superior torps to the IJN... and better guns, and better mobility and better smoke, and better AA, blah blah blah FUCKIN :WARGAMING:

As you can tell, the IJN doesn't have it quite nearly as good. Repeated nerfs has made the IJN top tiers extraordinarily lackluster. And there's a lot of stinkers here. The ships after 5 do not play like the Minekaze, be warned. They are typically slower, and their torpedoes, while longer ranged, reload MUCH more slowly. The Mutsuki is far and away the worst T6 in the game. The Hatsuharu at 7 doesn't really improve a whole lot. The Fubuki at 8 is an excellent ship, however, and basically the last TRULY good IJN DD. The Kagero... can work, too. But it sees Fletchers regularly, as well as higher tiered games than the Fubuki, for only being marginally better (great concealment, though). The Shimakaze, in turn, actually fares better than people think it does, but only because the Shimakaze is faster than US DDs while retaining a fairly good concealment value. You also hold tremendous threat with the possibility of 15 torpedoes appearing in the blink of an eye.

IJN DDs demand vastly different skills than US DDs. If you can be patient and value stealth and trial-and-error, play IJN. If you want to be in the action, hunting down hostiles and contesting points, play US DDs. If you want to WIN, play US DDs. Also, be aware that the IJN tree is about to get a major shakeup sooner or later, so its possible a lot of things could change.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 15, 2016

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Hazdoc posted:

If you want to WIN, play US Soviet DDs. :ussr:

I fixed this for you.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Did you guys know that along with team battles and ranked battles, there was tournaments for WoWS? Neither did I!

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/au-showdowns/

Apparently though, Fleet of Fog is actually good enough to be a top tier clan on the NA server!

This reminds me of WoT early years. The reddit clan sucked rear end at clan wars, but were brought out and shown around for tournament stuff because they were good or something at tournaments. On the other hand, they were actually good in random battles.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

To be fair, there are so many of them that there most likely are very good players buried in the mess of lovely ones.

For that matter, since the article is talking about teams rather than clans, it's at least vaguely possible the team by that name is not necessarily the same as the clan. For example, I've never heard of a Kantai Fleet Girls clan and that's another of the teams - though I'll admit I am hardly following the clan scene to begin with.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hazdoc posted:

If you like the Mahan, you will DEFINITELY like the Sims.

The Sims is basically a Benson-light one tier down, which is in no way a bad thing

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

And it took forever for SGLE to get featured, even once we were as big in terms of territory as NDP. They probably weren't happy with how many reports we got, and how our "diplomat" was our biggest troll. Except maybe Shanky, but Bogon was there first.

The days when we didn't have to give a gently caress about diplomacy were really the best.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

22 Eargesplitten posted:

And it took forever for SGLE to get featured, even once we were as big in terms of territory as NDP. They probably weren't happy with how many reports we got, and how our "diplomat" was our biggest troll. Except maybe Shanky, but Bogon was there first.

rip chair

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
There's a nonzero chance that wargaming picked clans by how much they post on the official forums. Didn't they give official top clan spotlights to ARMED and furries in tanks?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

James Garfield posted:

There's a nonzero chance that wargaming picked clans by how much they post on the official forums. Didn't they give official top clan spotlights to ARMED and furries in tanks?

yes, yes they did. And those clans would puff up in random battles saying that they are obviously an elite clan to be spotlighted so you should have followed their idea of everyone rushing the valley in lakeville.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Clan Wars killed WoT for me and I wouldn't be shocked if it eventually killed this game for me too.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

NTRabbit posted:

rip chair

shut the gently caress up NTRabbit

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

45% players threatening to knock us off the map never stopped being funny, though.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

Clan Wars killed WoT for me and I wouldn't be shocked if it eventually killed this game for me too.

To elaborate for the zero people who care. I mostly hated it when it came out because it was only ever T10 tanks. I ended up getting my IS-7 and then promptly getting burned out.

I thought it could have been a lot more fun and accessible if clan wars had a seasonal approach where the first month was like T1-3, the next month up to T6, then next to T8, and so on. Not being plugged in I have no idea what it's like now so for all I know they did this and I've been missing out.

Like, I'm imagining WoWS clan wars launching and the only thing you're allowed to take if you want to be relevant at all is a Yamato, Khabarovsk, Gearing, and whatever the best cruiser is or whatever. It's like 'welp I went down the wrong line so now I can't participate in clan wars.'

Serious question for people more knowledgeable about ships I haven't played: What would be the premier lineup for a 10v10 match?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
russian cruisers are garbage?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
In tanks they consistently put the most stupid gimmicks at tier 10, if nothing else tier 8 clan wars would have been superior because tier 8 tanks were more fun to play and better balanced than tier 10.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Ice Fist posted:

To elaborate for the zero people who care. I mostly hated it when it came out because it was only ever T10 tanks. I ended up getting my IS-7 and then promptly getting burned out.

I thought it could have been a lot more fun and accessible if clan wars had a seasonal approach where the first month was like T1-3, the next month up to T6, then next to T8, and so on. Not being plugged in I have no idea what it's like now so for all I know they did this and I've been missing out.

Like, I'm imagining WoWS clan wars launching and the only thing you're allowed to take if you want to be relevant at all is a Yamato, Khabarovsk, Gearing, and whatever the best cruiser is or whatever. It's like 'welp I went down the wrong line so now I can't participate in clan wars.'

Serious question for people more knowledgeable about ships I haven't played: What would be the premier lineup for a 10v10 match?

At least you went for the IS-7. I drove a Maus for SGLE a fair bit. The gold payout was nice though.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

russian cruisers are garbage?

They typically have good high velocity guns, very short ranged torpedoes (4km until tier 9). The problem is they have large, easy-to-hit citadels that often stick out above the waterline, and large turning radius/slower rudders. Tier 6-8 only have 6" guns, so you are hoping to set lots of fires. Tier 8+ get radar, which is typically longer ranged but shorter in duration than the American equivalent. (either that or vice versa I forget).

The tier X Moskva has powerful 220mm guns, but its the size of a battleship without the armor, and spotted from long range. Im still on the tier 8 but it seems to be well regarded despite its shortcomings.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Ice Fist posted:

You'll have to provide more arbitration for a 10v10. Are we talking all tierX 10v10, or a specific single tier or tier range? Are we giving one slot for CVs, 2 to 4 slots to BBs, unlimited to CAs and DDs? Or unlimited to everything? I really have no idea how WOT matchups worked, never played it.

If you're asking TierX 10v10, playing Domination, without restriction on type of ship beyond maybe just 1 CV per side, my initial reaction would be something like this:

Hakuryu
Khabarovsk
Khabarovsk
Khabarovsk
Khabarovsk
Khabarovsk
Gearing
Gearing
Gearing
Gearing

Haku mainly there to spot for the Khabs. Gearings to spearhead for the Khabs.

On further reflection, you could try to make the case for a few Des Moines or Moskvas for radar, but even a couple of them would wilt under focused fire of the above team - only the moskva would be able to get shells on the khabs fast enough, and it's too giant of a target. Yamato/Montana/Kurf even gianter targets, will never be able to contest points. Shima useless next to Gearing and a good Haku. Hindenburg and Zao don't have any toolset for handling the above team. Midway is nerfed too hard.

Of course this probably wouldn't be the case, there would have to be "you can only have max this many CV/BB/CA/DD." But we can't throw the dream team together if we don't know the splits, and the tier (or tiers).

Also, this is assuming matches wouldn't be something stupid like Standard Battle, or something interesting and new like Epicenter (I love Epicenter.)

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

You'd def want at least one DM, if only to sit in the smoke with the Gearings and radar for them/swing the air battle in your favor. It'll die sure, but it'll probably pay off first.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I apologized to him after I stopped laughing.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

ranbo das posted:

You'd def want at least one DM, if only to sit in the smoke with the Gearings and radar for them/swing the air battle in your favor. It'll die sure, but it'll probably pay off first.

Oh good point, and you'd probably want two of them to alternate radar on cooldowns. Would make it the Haku's top priority to identify which smokes the DMs are hiding in with the Gearings and appropriately gauge successful blind torp runs based on possible DM positioning before moving on to the next clouds, like a cross between the marianas turkey shoot and whack a mole.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
What I'm reading here is get a Gearing. Then a Khav. What's so great about the Khav

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Thronde posted:

What I'm reading here is get a Gearing. Then a Khav. What's so great about the Khav

I'm sure others will chime in more eloquently than I can, but the Khaba is a swiss army knife in this game. It can do just about anything. You have eight rapid fire guns that poo poo out a hail of 130mm projectiles with a nice flat arc. This means at longer range you can chew up American destroyers while zig-zagging around most of their shells. Japanese destroyers have strong shells and good velocity, but you fire way faster. Your HP pool is also larger, so unless they can clip you with a torpedo you'll easily win that war of attrition. With your speed, no one can get away from you, and you can run away if you have to. The Khaba also has just enough armor to mitigate some damage from DD guns high explosive shells, giving you an even bigger advantage against the little guys.

Cruisers are the biggest threat to you, but again near maximum range they will waste a lot of salvos trying to hurt you while your shells knock out their torpedo launchers and AA guns. And if they go broadside, your AP can punish them. A 2600 damage citadel isnt much to write home about, but 6+ of them is a different story.

Battleships will pray you target someone else. Firing 125+ HE shells per minute, you can melt anyone. Accuracy is good enough against big targets that you can aim for the parts of a BB not already burning. And the stock 10km torpedoes are more than capable against the lumbering hulks in tier 8+.

AA is not extraordinary, but carriers will bleed planes if they go after you. And with your speed you should be able to beeline into the flak auras of friendly ships.

It sounds like Wargaming is going to slightly nerf the rate of fire, and lop 1km or so off the maximum range, which will probably hurt.

Lakedaimon fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 16, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Thronde posted:

Here, let's do it in a single picture.

Why yes, that is an over 20k damage lead over both the other T10 destroyers. The Khab is overwhelmingly bullshit, and the proposed "nerfs" to the drat thing aren't going to do much. What really needs to be nerfed is the idiotic amount of armor on it, which completely fucks over other destroyers trying to engage it, since armor does help mitigate HE damage.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Played a game in my Saipan, went up against strike Ranger

I felt bad, how is this fair

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

I think any game mode like this would have to have class limitations. Something like this would make the most sense IMO:

1 CV
3 BBs
4 CAs
2 DDs

Under that restriction I would say this would be the best team:

Hakuryu - clearly better than Midway currently
3 Yamato - still the king of the hill
Khabarovsk
Gearing
2 Des Moines
2 Hindenberg

The interesting bit would be the cruisers. I like the Moskva but I think its the one that would lose out in this game mode. I think a well played and co-ordinated Des Moines brings better radar & better AA (and there is a CV every time). Hindenberg also has superior AA together with potent Hydro. Zao is the best T10 cruiser for normal pubbie games but I think in an organized team it doesn't bring anything. So I would go with 2 DM & 2 Hindenberg.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Anniversary sales are up: http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/bb-wknd-wowsversary/

EU gets http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/special/special-first-anniversary/

And of course the Russkies get this: http://worldofwarships.ru/ru/news/action/birthday_1/

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

It doesn't look too different between US and EU. Though, they get a mission for a flag and some more dragon flags. Their sale is all t8+ ships while we get a graduated sale on all battleships depending on tier. And a very minimal mission aimed at the back to school battleships thing going on this week.

Edit: PSA, the US writer sucks at writing up the sales. As mentioned in reddit (and verified in game), there is a graduated discount on all battleships. However, there is also a sale on all t8+ ships as well.

Edit2: Yup, the EU mission flag and dragon flags is in the US server as well. So it is a mirror of them with the added reddit and battleship stuff. God WGA sucks at everything.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 16, 2016

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
The Asia server has two big Anniversary Bundles, both have 360 days of premium time but one has Campbelltown and Fuijin and the other has Yubari, Emden, Diana and Smith. About 133AUD each. There's also a flag pack but eh
http://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/specials-and-events/premium-shop-1st-year-anniversary/

We're also only one Anniversary cheev away from making all of them hit Gold

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

For me, the packages are largely underwhelming. I was actually somewhat expecting them to do what they did in tanks and hand out a crappy tier 2 premium (aside from the Tetrarch) considering the large amount of ships available for that sort of thing.

Alternatively, announce that the Svenner would be a new premium ship. :norway:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/jpn-dd-sub-branch/

Previously leaked stats grossly overinflated, Akizuki also rather slow at 33 knots. Not sure if the YT videos are listing stock or upgraded stats, however

poi

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Heartcatch posted:

For me, the packages are largely underwhelming. I was actually somewhat expecting them to do what they did in tanks and hand out a crappy tier 2 premium (aside from the Tetrarch) considering the large amount of ships available for that sort of thing.

Alternatively, announce that the Svenner would be a new premium ship. :norway:

What tank did Tanks hand out for this week? I haven't logged in for a while, but I hate to miss a free premium, bad or not.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Previously leaked stats grossly overinflated, Akizuki also rather slow at 33 knots. Not sure if the YT videos are listing stock or upgraded stats, however

poi

Well, not unexpected considering the source of the leaks. I don't regret doing the maths, though.

NTRabbit posted:

What tank did Tanks hand out for this week? I haven't logged in for a while, but I hate to miss a free premium, bad or not.

I have no idea, actually. I think I missed the last free tank that required you to play a match and win or some such.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

33 kts was somewhat expected, since that was the historical speed. Sure WG has made plenty of ships faster or slower than they were historically with seemingly no rhyme or reason, but this wasn't really a surprise.

Somewhat more bullshit is it only having 15900 hp if that is fully upgraded as opposed to stock. Given it outmasses both its counterparts - Benson by well over 1k tons, Tashkent by ~500 - by a significant margin in destroyer terms, along with WG's continued claim that displacement is one of the major factors in ship health, one would think that Akizuki would be somewhere far closer to Tashkent's bullshit 19,600 hp, rather than Benson's 15,400, even taking into account non-BB IJN ships just arbitrarily getting less hp. And given it's both far slower than either of its two counterparts along with having the minimal fallback armament of a single 1x4 torpedo launcher, you have to ask what the hell WG is doing.

edit: To clarify, Tashkent currently has more hp than any of the T9 destroyers, along with the US and IJN T10 destroyers. Either that hp total is completely okay for T8s, and thus a ship that outmasses Tashkent should be looking at a similar amount, or Tashkent needs a loving nerf to its hp like Kiev got.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 16, 2016

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Lord Koth posted:

edit: To clarify, Tashkent currently has more hp than any of the T9 destroyers, along with the US and IJN T10 destroyers. Either that hp total is completely okay for T8s, and thus a ship that outmasses Tashkent should be looking at a similar amount, or Tashkent needs a loving nerf to its hp like Kiev got.

Ahem, no Tashkent nerfs are allowed until I get to the Udaloi. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I think I'll wait until goon divs to use those 333% xp flags - every time I've popped one, my team has completely collapsed before the 15 minute mark and the round is pretty much over