Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

silvergoose posted:

I guess it's just weird to think that everyone must be playing.

Why must everyone be playing?

If I strongly want to play something, I'll say so, and won't feel any compunction in doing so. If I strongly do not want to play something, and literally would rather watch that game be played than play it, why is that a problem?

Let's say someone comes to game night, and says "Ugggh I am just wiped, if people want to play something light I'll happily play but I'm happy to sit on the couch and play with my phone too."

Do you feel a burning need to play something light? I wouldn't, my friends wouldn't, and sometimes I'm that person and I really really don't want to disrupt the game night by demanding people play a light game.

Why the hell would it be different if you switch light with heavy, or what have you? Maybe you only game with 3-4 person groups so one person sitting out really does ruin things? In which case, yeah, you should definitely figure out what you're playing in advance. Or believe in the idea of 2 player games, I guess.

It is undeniably weird for me and others. Even though my group are all close friends who will come over just for a beer and to recline on the couch, "game night" is a scheduled thing and it feels off to have our backs turned to someone even if they insist on sitting out.

I can't explain the psychology behind it, that's just the way it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I think the issue is that people are talking about 3 different scenarios.

1. The Casuale Difference of Opinion
In this scenario a regular group suggests that they might play game A or B, when player X says that they're not interested in playing game A. The group decides to go with game B.

2. A Pox on All your Boardgames
In this scenario a group has a problem player, X, that selectively withdraws from all games unless they meet player X's standards.

3. Social Game Nighte
In this scenario your college friends have just found out about Cards Against Humanity and want to replace their nightly drinking session with a nightly drinking-and-meme-joke session. You need to decide whether or not to play the game or kill yourself and make it look like they did it, instead.

Scenario 1 can be a part of scenario 2, but usually it's just an isolated incident. And I think these kinds of social interactions are inevitable when you Plan to do Things with People. If you have someone whose tastes diverge that much from your game group, you are probably both better off without the other. If your good friend is problem player X in scenario 2, you may need to tell them to stop being a dickhead.

If you're in scenario 3, buy dixit, codenames, coup and "accidentally" spill your drink on your cards. Or don't. CAD is a bad game, but your friends are racist beause they do nothing to stop systemic persecution of PoCs, not because they think race jokes from the 50's are cutting edge humor.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 15, 2016

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

the panacea posted:

Your group didn't have a real choice. You forced your preference on the group. At least acknowledge that.

I don't entirely disagree, which is why I said I felt a little bad with how it seemed to go down. I definitely felt strongly about playing one over the other, not only for personal tastes but for some professional reasons as well, which surely contributed to my approach. But in my example, had the other 3 players really wanted to play Mansions, they absolutely could have, and should have felt able to do so without feeling bad about it, but that didn't seem to be the case. I gladly could have sat out and joined the next open group for something that interested me. I stand by the point being made that no one should feel like they are obliged to play anything they don't like or want just on the premise of not making others feel bad (even if they haven't played it before). Now, if someone approached FCM in the same way I had approached Mansions, I'd have been fine to concede to not create an awkward impasse.

All said, it's not as though these were random people either; it was a very regular group of friends that I play with weekly, so I feel like there should have been less feeling of mandatory inclusion here. They know I'd have been good playing something else later instead.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
There's a lot of variance between different settings. If I was with friends and beers I wouldn't turn my nose up at any game, movie, whatever. If I'm at a board gaming meetup and the tables split into Games I Hate #1 and #2, I'm cool with doing my own thing like learning a new game on my own while they play or calling it a night & they should be, too.

The exception I suppose is when there are new players because you kinda want to make a group and not let them hang.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Even better (and more polite as a host) is planning ahead and telling people what you are expecting to play. "Hey guys, I'm trying to get a game of Dominion or Valley of the Kings together this week."

Then those people with bad taste in games who don't like deckbuilders will either find something else to do that time or say "I don't really feel like playing, but I'll come hang out anyway." Weirdness avoided! Otherwise you get stuck playing your "compromise game" every time (looking at you, 7 Wonders)

I've had people say before that they were so mentally drained from work or something that they didn't want to learn a new game, so they're fine just sitting out. No problem!

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Merauder posted:

I don't entirely disagree, which is why I said I felt a little bad with how it seemed to go down. I definitely felt strongly about playing one over the other, not only for personal tastes but for some professional reasons as well, which surely contributed to my approach. But in my example, had the other 3 players really wanted to play Mansions, they absolutely could have, and should have felt able to do so without feeling bad about it, but that didn't seem to be the case. I gladly could have sat out and joined the next open group for something that interested me. I stand by the point being made that no one should feel like they are obliged to play anything they don't like or want just on the premise of not making others feel bad (even if they haven't played it before). Now, if someone approached FCM in the same way I had approached Mansions, I'd have been fine to concede to not create an awkward impasse.

All said, it's not as though these were random people either; it was a very regular group of friends that I play with weekly, so I feel like there should have been less feeling of mandatory inclusion here. They know I'd have been good playing something else later instead.

Ah sorry I thought it was just you and your friends playing at home on a dedicated board game evening. If there are other groups to play with at the place then it doesn't matter and you shouldn't feel bad.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I realized this about myself when I went on BGG@SEA a couple of weeks ago. I really like to play games that I like and don't like to play games that I don't like and don't like to be 'that guy' when this discussion comes up. So I doubt I'll be going on things like this anymore. I am going to Sasquatch up in Seattle this year but 1) my son is there and I haven't seen him since March and 2) there are new games there that everyone including me will want to try. But going to gaming groups where it's just 'whatever' is not appealing to me anymore. And yes, it's dickish to make everyone play something you can at least stand playing, so I'll be avoiding those situations in the future.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks all for the feedback on the Cube Libre player sheets yesterday. My goal for making these was as much to teach myself the game as anything, and I tried to build them around resolving some of the issues that came up the first couple of times I played, basically trying to more-easily answer "what should I be doing?" and "how should I be doing it?" Except more at a glance and more plain language. Something you could hand a first-timer that wasn't as daunting as a folded 11x17 card with 32 identical boxes on it. I also tried to limit information that was applicable to everyone (like Propaganda process), as those inserts weren't quite as "omgwut" as the Ops/Specs insert is.

For draft 2, I cleaned up some language, added some iconography and all victory conditions onto each card. Thanks, all!

The first two pages are meant as a "back/front" quick reference for a solo-player, and that information is expanded on the individual player cards.

Here go:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2_bRLJTm_OKcFFkQlg2Q3NTWk0

minute
Jul 31, 2003

al-azad posted:

I really don't know what to add to the argument because all my groups have thankfully been likeminded in taste but sacrifices have to be made sometimes. I will suffer a game of Munchkin among strangers if they promise to suffer through my Mediterranean spice trading game. If it reaches the point where all we do is play Munchkin and they don't want my abstract cube worker placement then "bye."

Yea, I completely agree with this. I'll put up with a game of Munchkin once in a while even though I find it incredibly tedious, because everyone else I play with loves it. Likewise, some of them will play incredibly dry euros with me even though it's not their cup of tea.

I guess it's also because my board game group is also just my general friend group, so we see board games as just an avenue for hanging out, so which specific game we're playing is secondary to finding an activity we can all do together.

If you have no overlap in tastes at all, then they're probably not the right group for you to be playing board games with. Which in my case would mean that we'd just find another activity to meet up regularly to do, but if it was a group that met specifically for board games, I'd just find a different group.

minute fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 15, 2016

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

canyoneer posted:

Even better (and more polite as a host) is planning ahead and telling people what you are expecting to play. "Hey guys, I'm trying to get a game of Dominion or Valley of the Kings together this week."

Then those people with bad taste in games who don't like deckbuilders will either find something else to do that time or say "I don't really feel like playing, but I'll come hang out anyway." Weirdness avoided! Otherwise you get stuck playing your "compromise game" every time (looking at you, 7 Wonders)

I've had people say before that they were so mentally drained from work or something that they didn't want to learn a new game, so they're fine just sitting out. No problem!

I feel like this is the correct answer. I feel that people need to stop treating board/card games like they're a single genre or hobby at this point. If I was going to invite a group of friends over to watch a movie, I wouldn't just say 'we're going to watch a movie.' Instead, I'd probably specify 'horror film' or 'rom-com' or 'cheesy B sci-fi'. Unless you're really selective about who you invite, I don't think simply inviting people over for 'boardgaming' cuts it anymore.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah that's a good point. The types of experience different games generate are so different as to be almost different hobbies at a certain point.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Lorini posted:

I realized this about myself when I went on BGG@SEA a couple of weeks ago. I really like to play games that I like and don't like to play games that I don't like and don't like to be 'that guy' when this discussion comes up. So I doubt I'll be going on things like this anymore. I am going to Sasquatch up in Seattle this year but 1) my son is there and I haven't seen him since March and 2) there are new games there that everyone including me will want to try. But going to gaming groups where it's just 'whatever' is not appealing to me anymore. And yes, it's dickish to make everyone play something you can at least stand playing, so I'll be avoiding those situations in the future.

I'll be up at Sasquatch this year! Let's play a game together if you get a chance! :unsmith:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
We're having a Play Like A Pirate Day game night on Saturday, and I wanted to go full-stupid with Dominion. I wanted a comical attack kingdom and then one that had a better narrative and gameplay setup. Both would need to make the Pirate Ship at least possibly useful, because yaaaaar!

I have:
Original Dominion
Intrigue
Seaside
Prosperity
Adventures
Empires

I was thinking of including the travelers (peasant+) from Adventures for a certain amount of character and give something that wasn't just constant offense. Any ideas other than me combing through them and analyzing all the attack cards? I was hoping it wouldn't end with the curse deck getting depleted in 4 turns and a slog to deal with them.

Edit: This would be supplemented with cards that boost hand size and trashers to help them claw out of the mess. It looks like a good time to have Bishop in there. I will also probably layout whatever landmark/alternate scoring in Empires that gives extra points for otherwise being screwed.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 15, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Well the last few pages were garbage.

Anyways, I can say after 5 plays now that the newest Valley of the Kings (Last Rites) is definitely the best, but only when playing with experienced players. It has a lot of intricate combos with deep interactions of the various card zones. Really good, maybe my favorite deck builder overall, edging out even Dominion with it's tightness of card pool.

Dominion's only real weakness is the massive amount of cards means you can have some bad kingdom setups, and it can be overwhelming trying to put together a fun and balanced one. This game is just as tightly designed, but the three sets are all self contained while being vastly different, and you can also mix them and it works really well either way. Just a great game all around, especially for the ~$15. Go buy all three.

It's also easily the best small box game (you can fit the entire trilogy in a standard MTG deck box I think).

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

This game is just as tightly designed, but the three sets are all self contained while being vastly different, and you can also mix them and it works really well either way.

I haven't experimented with mixing the base game with Afterlife yet. Do you have a preferred variant, or any specific setups?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
What's an example of the mechanical theme of some of the card sets in last rites?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:frogsiren:gently caress Munchkin:frogsiren:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

CommonShore posted:

:frogsiren:gently caress Munchkin:frogsiren:

I'm not sure if truer words have ever been spoken.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

We're having a Play Like A Pirate Day game night on Saturday, and I wanted to go full-stupid with Dominion. I wanted a comical attack kingdom and then one that had a better narrative and gameplay setup. Both would need to make the Pirate Ship at least possibly useful, because yaaaaar!

I have:
Original Dominion
Intrigue
Seaside
Prosperity
Adventures
Empires

I was thinking of including the travelers (peasant+) from Adventures for a certain amount of character and give something that wasn't just constant offense. Any ideas other than me combing through them and analyzing all the attack cards? I was hoping it wouldn't end with the curse deck getting depleted in 4 turns and a slog to deal with them.

Edit: This would be supplemented with cards that boost hand size and trashers to help them claw out of the mess. It looks like a good time to have Bishop in there. I will also probably layout whatever landmark/alternate scoring in Empires that gives extra points for otherwise being screwed.

Including Watchtower in your attack heavy layout might be cool. It effectively deals with pretty much every attack in the game, aside from forced trashing and spies. Putting subtle not-quite attacks in there would be neat too - like Embargo, and Masquerade.

I think that Pirate Ship is probably most useful in boards without other ways to generate money (aside from PS and the base treasures). You could experiment with that. Pirate Ship might also suddenly be more meaningful with one of the events that give you VP based on treasure counts. Missing VP from a Fountain while your opponents were able to clinch it could be the difference between a win and loss.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Impermanent posted:

What's an example of the mechanical theme of some of the card sets in last rites?

If you're familiar with the other two games just lots more interaction with the other players and more manipulation of the pyramid.

Card like pick three cards and have someone deal them.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
In case anyone is still anxious about it, CSI has 2 copies Warhammer Diskwars and the Legions of Darkness expansion right now.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

That feel when your opponent is facing Lum for the first time and you poker flourish to activate blackjack and draw a joker as your first card.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
Was looking at prices of FFG stuff and found this kind of funny:

Learn about shapes, spelling, and basic numbers! Ages 3 and up!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How many skulls can you count on Khorne's throne?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Is it worth owning Codnames: Pictures and the original?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

StashAugustine posted:

How many skulls can you count on Khorne's throne?

A lot more after my first game last night. :black101:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pvt. Parts posted:

I think so. They both appeal to different people. I find Pictures more enjoyable but some of my friends think it's more difficult than words.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Pvt. Parts posted:

If you don't own either, probably not. But if you own the original and you want Pictures, just buy it and own both. Second hand Codenames sells for like :tenbux:, not worth the effort.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Pictures is butt compared to Vanilla. It just doesn't have the amazing AHA! moments in my opinion. Also, clues are lower numbered in my experience which makes the guessers game less fun. Also hitting an assassin is super easy because you didn't see that one little thing that your guessers saw.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Pvt. Parts posted:

If you own (Dixit or Mysterium) and Codenames, you have Codenames: Pictures! But yes, buy both. Give Vlaada your precious monies.

MoM2e solo players - two characters a must-have, or does the game scale down to just using the one character?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I know that Imperial Assault is basically Descent 2E: Yavin Edition, but as someone who kind of lucked into a copy of Descent (and some weird booklet expansion that allows solo/Overlord-less play) for crazy insane cheap are there any major differences to note?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ryoshi posted:

I know that Imperial Assault is basically Descent 2E: Yavin Edition, but as someone who kind of lucked into a copy of Descent (and some weird booklet expansion that allows solo/Overlord-less play) for crazy insane cheap are there any major differences to note?

I think the line of sight rules are different. If I remember correctly, in descent you have to be able to trace an unobstructed line to any corner of the destination space from any point of the origin space.

I think in IA you have to be able to draw to two corners on the destination.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
There are some refinements and fundamental design changes in the dice mechanics but they're 90% the same. IA does have the skirmish mode, which is really fun.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

sector_corrector posted:

Including Watchtower in your attack heavy layout might be cool. It effectively deals with pretty much every attack in the game, aside from forced trashing and spies. Putting subtle not-quite attacks in there would be neat too - like Embargo, and Masquerade.

I think that Pirate Ship is probably most useful in boards without other ways to generate money (aside from PS and the base treasures). You could experiment with that. Pirate Ship might also suddenly be more meaningful with one of the events that give you VP based on treasure counts. Missing VP from a Fountain while your opponents were able to clinch it could be the difference between a win and loss.

I think I'm putting in treasure map for theme, but otherwise, I think I took your advice in blocking off +treasure cards:

ambassador (seaside)
haven (seaside)
native village (seaside)
pirate ship (seaside)
sea hag (seaside)
tactician (seaside)
treasure map (seaside)
peasant+ (adventures) [for the crew, yarr]
rabble (prosperity)
watchtower (prosperity)

Edit event: bonfire (adventures)

I don't think I'd put out platinums and colonies.

I don't think I have anything that can trash (Edit: curses) in there though; the ambassador is about as close as it gets, which just turns into a giant curse exchange. Eh... maybe.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 16, 2016

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Purely by accident, I found out there's an Obsidian-developed (!) Pathfinder card game app. On a whim I tried it, since some games I dislike are tolerable in tablet form. Plus, it's free to try, so why not? After half an hour I remembered how much I hate this awful game.

The app itself is really drat good though. Easily the best board game to digital adaptation I've ever seen. If only they'd done this but with a good game instead.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Quick Falling Skies question am I reading it right that if Vercingetorix rallies in a arverni controlled region he can place two allies then warbands ?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Pvt. Parts posted:

Yes. They can be played together as well.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Rumda posted:

Quick Falling Skies question am I reading it right that if Vercingetorix rallies in a arverni controlled region he can place two allies then warbands ?
I think he can only place one then warbands.

quote:

Arverni Rally in a Region
that has Vercingetorix may place an Ally even without Arverni
Control. Finally, it may place either an Ally or Citadel and also
place Warbands, in either order; placement must otherwise be per
the above procedures.

The first sentence is an explanation that you can ignore the Control requirement. The second sentence says that you can both place an ally and warbands. So only 1 ally + warbands.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
If I was to buy into Diskwars, would I want 1 or 2 copies of the core set? What would the specific reason be for getting two copies rather than 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minute
Jul 31, 2003

Well, it looks like Forbidden Stars and Fury of Dracula are back in stock at Cardhaus.