Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Also remember that predominantly inattentive type ADHD often doesn't cause hyperactivity, even in childhood, so it can really fly under the radar sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Is there anyone reading this thread who got tested for ADHD as an adult and found out they didn't actually have ADHD?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Also remember that predominantly inattentive type ADHD often doesn't cause hyperactivity, even in childhood, so it can really fly under the radar sometimes.

The whole "type" thing is kind of outdated as well.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Internalization of symptoms is definitely a thing that happens to adults with ADHD. I remember reading an article that really made that click for me a couple months after my diagnosis, I'll try and find it when I'm not phoneposting.

e: here it is:
http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/10121.html

Wait, that's not just a personality quirk I have? :psyduck:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are there any good sources for management strategies while I'm waiting to see a doctor? This is all starting to noticeably affect my work and I'm stressing out over that quite a lot. I can't really tell my boss anything until I actually know for sure what's going on, but my lack of focus and procrastination is getting noticed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Ferret King posted:

Is there anyone reading this thread who got tested for ADHD as an adult and found out they didn't actually have ADHD?

Yeah, the initial step to my diagnoses last year started by driving my therapist nuts fidgeting with my pen. I mentioned that I used to drive my 3rd grade teacher nuts rolling my pencils up and down my desk and she had me pursue it with the psych.

I'm 35 now, I have managed to do well enough for myself, especially without a degree, but I've definitely experienced the performance drop-off, and lack of motivation until the deadlines loom.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So apparently this is a thing now.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Harrow posted:

Thing is, it's those exceptions that give me pause. I keep wondering, "C'mon, I read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell in like three days, no problem, is my inability to focus on other books really a sign of anything?" Or, "I do focus when I'm given no choice. I have no problem focusing on video games. I binge-watched Stranger Things without losing interest once. Am I just lazy?" I've had these thoughts before and just end up thinking I'm a hypochondriac and try to move on.
Similarly here.

It seems like for me, if it's not tied to evaluation by someone else and possible failure, I'm cool with doing anything. Otherwise, procrastinate until it reaches a critical point (thankfully always in my mind).

It seems very much like the Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria link someone posted, but like you I have a hard time accepting that it could be ADHD related. I see it more as a hosed up behavioral "tick" I've managed to develop in the past 20 years.

Does it sound like I'm wrong? Is RSD always ADHD related?

As much as I try to fight through it on my own, I really haven't gotten over it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cheesus posted:

It seems like for me, if it's not tied to evaluation by someone else and possible failure, I'm cool with doing anything. Otherwise, procrastinate until it reaches a critical point (thankfully always in my mind).

Yeah, this is basically how I've been my entire life.

Ultimately I turn in good work, and I do it on time, but I don't even start it until it's way too late and I have to work like a madman to make it happen. I try, I always try to work ahead, to start things when I should, but it's like every fiber of my being rejects it and half the time I don't even notice that it's happening.

I really need some sort of strategy to manage this because my usual "make weekly plans, make daily plans, put reminders on my Outlook calendar" thing isn't helping and assuming I really do have ADHD, I'm sure I won't know for some weeks yet. My boss is starting to notice, and I can't exactly roll into my weekly one-on-one meeting and go "yo, I think I might have undiagnosed ADHD but for real I'll get my poo poo done when it needs to be, I promise." I haven't missed a (real, not self-set) deadline in the two and a half years I've worked here, so at least I have that precedent going for me, but the pressure of it all is getting to me.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Take your reminders and planning offline and put it in a little book or pad. Physically cross things off the list. The online world is so easy to ignore, simply a change of venue for to dos can help.

Get on a bike. Either ride a bicycle or hit the gym and pedal. It is a panacea that gives you more reward than you put into it. Minimum 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes.

Why are you failing? Are you bored with your work? Can you rework your assignments and duties so they are more challenging? Can you take some things off your plate so you can get them into a routine? These are good 1 on 1 conversations to have. It'll give your boss something to work with in the mean time.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Cheesus posted:

Similarly here.

It seems very much like the Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria link someone posted, but like you I have a hard time accepting that it could be ADHD related. I see it more as a hosed up behavioral "tick" I've managed to develop in the past 20 years.

Does it sound like I'm wrong? Is RSD always ADHD related?

As much as I try to fight through it on my own, I really haven't gotten over it.

If it is purely ADHD related then I could no longer have any doubt in my diagnosis. This has been a defining part of my life since I was 5, it's why I've been seeking help for what I thought was just social anxiety since I was 14. If I didn't have it I probably wouldn't have such trouble with depression. It may explain why antidepressants have barely ever helped.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
For what it's worth methylphenidate helped my depression, social anxiety and unexplained fatigue dramatically and now I realise it was all basically a by-product of ADHD and not separate disorders. Now it's the only medication I'm prescribed and I feel like my decision to not medicate my ADHD and rely on "coping strategies" for most of my 20's was a massive mistake.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

As was mentioned above, exercise is a HUUUUGE help for ADHD. Finding time to schedule exercise is a whole other can of worms, but the effort is worth it.

I've found that regular, daily exercise makes everything so much easier to handle, and the only side effect is looking sexy.

Try setting aside just 30 min a day to exercise. If you can't find 30 minutes in the entire day, then you're a goddamn liar and not serious about getting your poo poo together. Seriously, make the effort to do 30 min a day, Mon to Fri. I guarantee that if you put the effort in to exercise, that everything else in your life will become much simpler to handle. ADHD symptoms will be controlled, and you'll feel and sleep better.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheBigBad posted:

Take your reminders and planning offline and put it in a little book or pad. Physically cross things off the list. The online world is so easy to ignore, simply a change of venue for to dos can help.

Get on a bike. Either ride a bicycle or hit the gym and pedal. It is a panacea that gives you more reward than you put into it. Minimum 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes.

Why are you failing? Are you bored with your work? Can you rework your assignments and duties so they are more challenging? Can you take some things off your plate so you can get them into a routine? These are good 1 on 1 conversations to have. It'll give your boss something to work with in the mean time.

I'm not bored, I don't think, it's more that most of my assignments seem to stretch over a relatively long period of time and I have a hard time giving them the attention they need until it's urgent. One thing I talked about with my boss is trying to restructure my own project planning, so I have fewer overlapping projects, but tighter timelines on each one--rather than planning on a quarterly basis, planning on a monthly basis, so that I have more frequent hard deadlines that I can't shrug off.

I'll try using a physical planner. I rejected those long ago when they didn't work for me in high school, but maybe I'm in a better place to make use of one now.

The Zombie Guy posted:

As was mentioned above, exercise is a HUUUUGE help for ADHD. Finding time to schedule exercise is a whole other can of worms, but the effort is worth it.

I've found that regular, daily exercise makes everything so much easier to handle, and the only side effect is looking sexy.

Try setting aside just 30 min a day to exercise. If you can't find 30 minutes in the entire day, then you're a goddamn liar and not serious about getting your poo poo together. Seriously, make the effort to do 30 min a day, Mon to Fri. I guarantee that if you put the effort in to exercise, that everything else in your life will become much simpler to handle. ADHD symptoms will be controlled, and you'll feel and sleep better.

I'll also try this. I should probably buy a bike one of these days, anyway.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Internalization of symptoms is definitely a thing that happens to adults with ADHD. I remember reading an article that really made that click for me a couple months after my diagnosis, I'll try and find it when I'm not phoneposting.

Holy poo poo, that quote is exactly me. Reading this page after that quote describes an experience I had last year down to the letter. I guess it's nice to finally have an explanation for what's going on. Fortunately Strattera has pretty much eliminated all of that kind of thinking, but not the physical symptoms.

I almost constantly feel physical tension and have an inability to relax, like I'm constantly wired to the point where it physically hurts at times. About the only way I've been able to relax in the evenings for the past six months has been a few days where Vistaril worked, through alcohol or taking stupidly high doses of stimulants. I have just assumed that it's depression and an anxiety disorder, but I don't have to feel mentally anxious to have any of the tension or unease. It's seriously starting to drive me up the walls now that I've quit drinking.

Has anyone found a way to mitigate this? I think that Guanfacine ER might have helped with this, but I'm not sure if I can get any more.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dubstep Jesus posted:

I actually didn't read the linked article when you posted this before, but I just did and had a visceral reaction to this point:

quote:

In the long term, there are two personality outcomes. The person with ADHD becomes a people pleaser, always making sure that friends, acquaintances, and family approve of him. After years of constant vigilance, the ADHD person becomes a chameleon who has lost track of what she wants for her own life. Others find that the pain of failure is so bad that they refuse to try anything unless they are assured of a quick, easy, and complete success. Taking a chance is too big an emotional risk. Their lives remain stunted and limited.

It's loving exhausting and I don't know if I ever realized that it was something I was doing compulsively until the last year or so.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, the initial step to my diagnoses last year started by driving my therapist nuts fidgeting with my pen. I mentioned that I used to drive my 3rd grade teacher nuts rolling my pencils up and down my desk and she had me pursue it with the psych.

I'm 35 now, I have managed to do well enough for myself, especially without a degree, but I've definitely experienced the performance drop-off, and lack of motivation until the deadlines loom.

Was the diagnosis ADHD? Because I'm asking specifically about people who were not diagnosed with ADHD after taking the tests or seeking help.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

Was the diagnosis ADHD? Because I'm asking specifically about people who were not diagnosed with ADHD after taking the tests or seeking help.

ADD is massively underdiagnosed in adults so I suspect most people who actually get the point of being tested probably have it, and you'll have a hard time finding stories of it being otherwise.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Seems like if you're one to ask, it's probably already there. That's gotta be a huge amount of people.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also with the thread's focus on ADHD, I don't know if it's the best place to find people who don't have it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

YggiDee posted:

Also with the thread's focus on ADHD, I don't know if it's the best place to find people who don't have it.

a cogent point

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
I feel like stimulant medication did help with the symptom internalisation and exaggerated response to rejection. Not in the short term, but after months of being medicated and therefore a bit more aware of my thoughts it definitely became less prevalent. Regular exercise and meditation also turned down the volume on it quite a bit.

Also, since this thread is often a bit of a dead zone, those of you who are medicated might find these threads interesting also:

The psych med thread, because Adderall/Ritalin/Strattera/ Wellbutrin come up in it quite a lot: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3170218

Also the TCC thread for ADHD meds. It's been around for ages but despite that fact that it's in TCC the posts from the last year or two are mostly people taking meds as prescribed rather than recreational enthusiasts. In any event, there have been some interesting discussions about magnesium and agmatine minimising drug side effects.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2361777

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

YggiDee posted:

Just seems amazing that everyone who inquires within this thread ends up having it.

Uh oh.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Harrow posted:

I'm not bored, I don't think, it's more that most of my assignments seem to stretch over a relatively long period of time and I have a hard time giving them the attention they need until it's urgent. One thing I talked about with my boss is trying to restructure my own project planning, so I have fewer overlapping projects, but tighter timelines on each one--rather than planning on a quarterly basis, planning on a monthly basis, so that I have more frequent hard deadlines that I can't shrug off.

I'll try using a physical planner. I rejected those long ago when they didn't work for me in high school, but maybe I'm in a better place to make use of one now.

I'll also try this. I should probably buy a bike one of these days, anyway.

I wouldnt try a formal planner. You should create your own, one that works for you. Take bits from whatever methodology works for you. Mine is simply keeping a cheap journal and making lists and drawing diagrams that only I can decipher. I organize based on outcome rather than calendar.

A large percentage of top executives (from a book surveying them I read years ago) have a system that only they and their assistant(s) understand, and they stick to it religiously.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Just seems amazing that everyone who inquires within this thread ends up having it.

Uh oh.

its gonna be me too lol

Every time I read something about people's experiences with ADD I'm always thinking "hey thats me". I'm awful with 'projects'. I always have some plan to do some project and then I order stuff online and by the time the stuff comes I never end up doing it because I'm on to some other thing.

Like, right now next to me is a pile of old late-90s computer parts from when I was totally going to build an classic gaming pc, and there's also a part I needed to fix a Commodore 64 I was "going to use" and then there's also a Raspberry Pi from when I was going to learn raspberry pi stuff and then there's also some arduinos from when I was going to do that, and so on and on. There's poo poo on my desk from like 3-4 years ago thats still there from when I was planning on doing that stuff, too. Bunch of movies that I'm "gonna watch soon" etc.

There's also like a thousand dollars of camera and lenses on my desk too that I bought when I totally wanted to learn video making stuff but have barely touched that stuff yet because I start reading about that stuff and immediately need to go off and do something different.

My focus constantly jumping around. I have youtube videos and stuff playing literally anytime I'm on the computer (right now it's "Whose Line is it Anyway? : Narrate", an hour long compilation) and I'll do other stuff on the computer too with my focus going from the video to something else to something else and back etc. One of the things I can really focus on is those foam Puzz3D puzzles. Seriously, I pick them up for like a buck or 2 at thrift stores, build them, and then give them to family members because I don't actually want the things once they are done. I mean, I can focus on stuff sometimes but only certain things. Like, if I'm trying to fix some computer problem I'm having I usually can focus on that ok. Luckily I have a job where I don't need to focus on stuff very much.

When I was in grade school I was evaluated because they suspected I had a learning disability but they didn't conclude anything at the time (this was the early 90s). The only thing that ended up happening with that was they decided to put me in a special handwriting class because my handwriting was (and still is) poo poo. Of course now I think this was because of ADD but I guess they weren't as aware of it or whatever, idk.

So uh I wanna get this all checked out or whatever. So I guess I'll make an appointment with my primary physician and tell her about this.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
So I've been thinking about this the past few days after going through my childhood memories with my therapist during the assessment. I couldn't my childhood. Sure there are blips here and there but for the most part I get a general feeling with major points here and there. Nothing else, for the most part it's blank.

So here I am asking all of you. How many of you with ADHD remember your childhoods?

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Robzilla posted:

So I've been thinking about this the past few days after going through my childhood memories with my therapist during the assessment. I couldn't my childhood. Sure there are blips here and there but for the most part I get a general feeling with major points here and there. Nothing else, for the most part it's blank.

So here I am asking all of you. How many of you with ADHD remember your childhoods?

Recall takes a lot of effort. It's all there, it's just not linearly stored. Like driving down the highway with only first and second gear.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Oh god, I thought that sort of thing was just me. Like, there's definitely specific bits I can recall and I can follow certain threads if I'm reminded, but it's pretty hazy. I'll hear someone talk about the time they were seven and who they played and their favorite teacher and they loved grilled cheese and I'm over here going 'Seven. I was almost certainly seven. I wore... Clothes?'

I worked with a coworker for two years before I figured out (she told me) that she was the little sister of one of my best friends in grade school. I saw both of them every day for several years.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

I actually have one of these on preorder now, curious what it'll be like.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

YggiDee posted:

Oh god, I thought that sort of thing was just me. Like, there's definitely specific bits I can recall and I can follow certain threads if I'm reminded, but it's pretty hazy. I'll hear someone talk about the time they were seven and who they played and their favorite teacher and they loved grilled cheese and I'm over here going 'Seven. I was almost certainly seven. I wore... Clothes?'

I worked with a coworker for two years before I figured out (she told me) that she was the little sister of one of my best friends in grade school. I saw both of them every day for several years.

Holy gently caress, this.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

TheBigBad posted:

Recall takes a lot of effort. It's all there, it's just not linearly stored. Like driving down the highway with only first and second gear.

I was about to protest this and then I realized that I do this too - it drives me insane when I'm trying to look for something, (say, my keys), because I will remember multiple instances of where I put my keys, and I have no idea which one was the most recent or where it was.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I definitely don't have a nice, continuous memory of my childhood, that's for sure. I remember specific incidents (not necessarily bad ones, just specific ones) and that's about it. I also know certain facts about my childhood and I think I remember them, but I spend long enough hanging out with memoirists in grad school to know never to trust the way I remember the events around things that I know happened. People are great at constructing narrative. I think I just assumed that was normal, but it occurs to me I've never really compared notes about childhood memories. My girlfriend definitely seems to have a clearer memory of her childhood than I do, and I just chalked it up to there being a lot more pictures of her as a kid for her to look back on than I have.

Unrelated: coffee. I drink a lot of coffee, have for a while. I don't actually need it to wake up in the morning--I'm fine without it except in the most severe of cases, like if I'm running on three hours of sleep for some stupid reason--so I just drink it because I like it and I like the "ritual" of it. Sometimes I go too far and end up over-caffeinated, but that's about the only time I notice the effects of coffee. But I also know that ADHD treatment sometimes involves stimulant medication, so that sort of makes me wonder what role coffee should play in my life (assuming I actually do have ADHD). Do you all drink coffee?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

YggiDee posted:

Same here. I need a "trigger" to start remembering things, otherwise it's pretty much like that. That pretty much goes for just about anything stored in my brain.

Fusion Restaurant posted:

I actually have one of these on preorder now, curious what it'll be like.

I like the concept of that fidget thing, but for me, I've never really been able to fully "engage" with things specifically set up for my fidgeting the way I can with disassembling or reassembling a pen. It's always had to be some kind of unconscious, organic thing for me. Luckily I'm on a decent set of medication and I don't really fidget anymore.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Harrow posted:

Do you all drink coffee?

I drink a bit of coffee. I usually try to avoid it if I can, since caffeine makes my tension and teeth-grinding considerably worse, but during rush season at work I'll have a small coffee each morning on workdays, just to kick my rear end awake. I can do without it just fine on weekends and slower days, when I can afford to spend an hour shuffling around and mentally sorting my poo poo out while the meds burn in.

It's important to consider pharmaceutical interactions, though. When I was on Adderall, drinking coffee gave me constant heart palpitations. Some stimulants really do not get along with each other, and caffeine is not exempt from that.

e: so basically what I'm saying is this - if you're prescribed new meds, specifically ask the pharmacist whether they play nice with caffeine. Stimulant interactions are pretty well-known and well-documented, so they should be able to give you a yes-or-oh-Christ-no answer off the top of their head.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 15, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

I drink a bit of coffee. I usually try to avoid it if I can, since caffeine makes my tension and teeth-grinding considerably worse, but during rush season at work I'll have a small coffee each morning on workdays, just to kick my rear end awake. I can do without it just fine on weekends and slower days, when I can afford to spend an hour shuffling around and mentally sorting my poo poo out while the meds burn in.

It's important to consider pharmaceutical interactions, though. When I was on Adderall, drinking coffee gave me constant heart palpitations. Some stimulants really do not get along with each other, and caffeine is not exempt from that.

e: so basically what I'm saying is this - if you're prescribed new meds, specifically ask the pharmacist whether they play nice with caffeine. Stimulant interactions are pretty well-known and well-documented, so they should be able to give you a yes-or-oh-Christ-no answer off the top of their head.

That makes sense--but while I don't have medications, I shouldn't worry about it?

Speaking of medications, I might as well ask: what difference can they make? I'm sure it's different for every person and every medication, but I'm wondering what I should expect if I get prescribed something. Obviously I've wondered what it's like to be able to just direct my focus as needed like it seems like my coworkers can, but I have no real basis for comparison and no idea if that's a realistic goal or if I should just focus on managing my symptoms enough not to drive myself nuts at deadline time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Harrow posted:

That makes sense--but while I don't have medications, I shouldn't worry about it?

Speaking of medications, I might as well ask: what difference can they make? I'm sure it's different for every person and every medication, but I'm wondering what I should expect if I get prescribed something. Obviously I've wondered what it's like to be able to just direct my focus as needed like it seems like my coworkers can, but I have no real basis for comparison and no idea if that's a realistic goal or if I should just focus on managing my symptoms enough not to drive myself nuts at deadline time.

Don't expect the first round to work correctly right away.

For me, when I started Adderall, I didn't feel like it was doing anything until the day I forgot to take it. The thing is, it's likely not something you're going to notice until you're without it, because now you know what it's like to be somewhat "normal."

Also my dosage was too low, so I'd always comedown about 1 in the afternoon and have a hard time keeping awake the last few hours of the day.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Medication is not a magic bullet. You will always have some symptoms and need to find effective methods of managing your nonsense. That said, the difference between medicated Angry Diplomat and unmedicated Angry Diplomat is loving night and day; it's had a tremendous positive impact on my whole drat life, and I constantly kick myself for spending years trying to tough it out unmedicated. I very strongly recommend at least asking your doctor about a trial run to see if it works well for you.

As far as coffee goes, that's a question for your doc when you ask about that trial run. If you mention upfront that you drink coffee regularly, they should be able to suggest some medications that won't gently caress your nervous system up every time you perform your daily caffeination ritual. That or they'll suggest going without coffee for awhile, I dunno, I'm not a doctor.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

When you're on the right dosage, it's not going to be very noticeable. This is good and normal. When I'm on Adderal, I don't really feel any different from when I'm not, but then if I look at what I did on the days I take it, I'm hugely more productive than on the days I don't. I start more things, I work on them for longer without breaks, and I move from one thing to the next with less downtime for feeling lost and out of sorts. I find that there's usually less of a delta between "gee, I should do this" and actually working on it. I can just get poo poo done.

That doesn't mean that isn't a struggle a lot of the time. The distractions are just as distracting -- if anything it's harder to pull myself away from video games to clean the apartment if I let myself get distracted in the first place. I'm still bad at estimating how long things will take, at starting them on time, and at prioritizing. But it's easier, and I don't feel like I'm fighting myself as much.

When the dosage is wrong, I usually feel a bit more shut down and sluggish. Stratera made me sick if I took it on an empty stomach and gave me heart palpitations at a higher dose. But it's really only when the dosage is wrong. Most ADHD meds seem to be very dependent on getting the right dose, so don't neglect working with your doctor to figure that out.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Regarding coffee chat, I used to self medicate with heroic doses of caffeine in my early 20's. Caffeine is a garbage stimulant with a bad side effect profile and I tended to put myself in a "state of emergency" so to speak where I wouldn't have much ADHD brain fog but was constantly anxious. Not to mention its mechanism of action of being an adenosine antagonist has nothing to do with the neurological differences behind ADHD, unlike dopaminergic stimulants, so it's never really going to help much. Once I went back on ritalin I pretty quickly tapered back to 1-2 coffees a day.

Unrelated: here are some papers you might find interesting. While fatigue and pain aren't considered symptoms of adult-ADHD yet, if you look at papers from the past 5 years or so it does seem like there is a relationship between the two, so if you have chronic fatigue/fibro and a childhood diagnosis of ADHD it's probably worth talking to a doctor about it, since this was a bit of a game changer for me. Maybe this will help someone here :shrug:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23391682

quote:

Fatigue is commonly reported in the primary care setting; however, its cause is often unclear. This article presents 3 cases involving patients with chronic fatigue syndrome who responded poorly to treatment. After clinical evaluation, all patients were found to meet criteria for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and underwent a standard regimen of a psychostimulant medication. After treatment with psychostimulants, the 3 patients reported improved symptoms of fatigue and pain, and cognitive and core ADHD symptoms. These cases suggest that ADHD and chronic fatigue syndrome (and possibly fibromyalgia) share a common underlying mechanism. This article presents a model suggesting that over time, ADHD (predominantly inattentive type) develops into a syndrome of chronic fatigue and pain. These cases indicate that fatigue may be an important presenting symptom of adult ADHD. These cases also suggest the need for additional research to determine the prevalence of ADHD in patients who present with fatigue, and, in those meeting criteria for ADHD, the responsiveness of fatigue to psychostimulant treatment.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17285103

quote:

Adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) may share common features with fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). In an outpatient psychiatric clinic, a number of adult patients who presented primarily with symptoms of ADHD, predominately inattentive type, also reported unexplained fatigue, widespread musculoskeletal pain or a pre-existing diagnosis of CFS or FMS. As expected, ADHD pharmacotherapy usually attenuated the core ADHD symptoms of inattention, distractibility, hyperactivity, and impulsivity. Less expected was the observation that some patients also reported amelioration of pain and fatigue symptoms. The utility of ADHD medications in FMS and CFS states may be their innate arousal and enhanced filtering properties. This model supposes that FMS and CFS are central processing problems rather than peripheral disorders of muscles and joints.
http://openventio.org/Volume2_Issue2/Adult_Attention_Deficit_and_Hyperactivity_Disorder_and_Fibromyalgia_A_Case_Control_Study_NOJ_2_114.pdf

quote:

The profile of cognitive symptoms in FMS and ADHD is very similar, and ADHD is commonly mistaken with anxiety, depression and other behavioral disorders13 which are comorbidities of FMS.14,15 FMS and ADHD are part of a family of related disorders known as affective spectrum disorders.16 These disorders share physiologic abnormalities and genetic risk factors that may be central to their etiology.17 One previous report showed an association between fibromyalgia and a polymorphism of the dopamine D4 receptor and its relationship to novelty seeking personality traits, which symptoms are very similar to ADHD.18 Furthermore, the polymorphism of the dopamine D4 receptor has been associated to ADHD in children and adulthood.19 Considering these investigations, in both disorders (FMS and ADHD), an overlap in clinical features and neurobiologic substrate was found.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22648008

quote:

Forty-seven of 158 CSF patients (29.7%) were diagnosed of childhood ADHD and in 33 (20.9%), the condition persisted into adulthood. CFS patients with adult ADHD had an earlier CSF onset, more severe anxiety and depression symptoms, and a higher risk of suicide than CFS patients without ADHD. Using lineal regression analysis, we found that depressive symptoms and ADHD severity were significant predictors of fatigue intensity. Consequently, ADHD may be common in CFS patients, and is associated with a more severe psychopathologic clinical profile.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24707694

quote:

MATERIALS AND METHODS:
Dextroamphetamine sulfate extended release capsules once daily was gradually increased to 25 mg per day in a woman with treatment resistant fibromyalgia of 20 years duration.
RESULTS:
Within a short time, the woman experienced dramatic relief of pain. Furthermore, her edema improved resulting in a 27 pound weight loss and her chronic fatigue improved.
CONCLUSIONS:
Fibromyalgia can be effectively treated with an innocuous dose of dextroamphetamine sulfate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I drink probably more soda than strictly recommended. It doesn't seem to make me more alert or anything but the caffeine withdrawal is a bitch. Coffee is exclusively for 'I need to be awake at 5 am to go birdwatching' I don't know if there's more caffeine in coffee or if it's the placebo effect or what (Sidenote : apparently the placebo effect works even if you know that what you've been given is a placebo. This bothers me on a level I can barely articulate)

As for medication, mine's subtle. I don't feel particularly different on it, but my family and coworkers can tell if I've been missing doses.