Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Gene Roddenberry was an officer.

Ah, you know what, I got him confused with Ronald D. Moore. Roddenberry was a USAAC 2nd Lt. whereas Moore was some enlisted rank (due to dropping out of ROTC) in the Navy.

I think that's why RDM made sure O'Brien was an enlisted man rather than an officer, and thereby did away with Roddenberry's original "everyone is an officer in Starfleet" mandate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Asmodai_00 posted:

Did the novelization explain why Scotty went to the bridge with his corpse?

It doesn't happen in the book. In the book Kirk and Spock go to engineering to inspect battle damage and when the turbolift doors open, Scotty is there holding Peter saying he can't get a hold of Bones.

I imagine that's what the original script did since novelizations are often based on early drafts. It was probably a pacing decision to have Scotty come to the bridge since going to engineering would break the action, even if it doesn't make narrative sense.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Huh. Does that mean Kirk was actually one of Mitchell's instructors at the academy? I'd previously been thinking of them as classmates.

I guess Kirk was like a TA. He was a Lt. teaching classes, by Mitchell's own account.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Icheb actually isn't too bad, but they don't bring anything new to the show, so they're just a waste. One was a more interesting "Seven raises a Borg" story.

The dude who played Icheb is also a pretty chill guy and tells funny stories at cons about the "difficulties" of being 20 years old and doing close shots with Jeri Ryan in a spandex catsuit.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Fuckin lol, 'Lonely Among Us' ends with the revelation that there has been a cannibalistic murder on board, and then some like comedy music plays and Picard announces that he's going for a nap. Roll credits.

I've seen these episodes like a hundred times, but season one is still just balls out crazy to me.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Did they change Nimoy's make-up in season three? Spock looks a little different from how he looked in the first two.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Apollodorus posted:

Everyone on the Enterprise is supposed to be ridiculously good at their job, and in the future we have much better education presumably (remember also in TNG how that 6 year old is learning calculus) - I bet this was Roddenberry's weird futurizing of humanity at work.

Or, rather, I believe he always resented that he wasn't an officer when he was in the military, and he believed that he would have been a Lt. Commander USN by age 23 if he hadn't been held back by ineffective education.
I can actually completely buy that their educational system was much more effective in the Trekfuture, though calculus for a six year old feels like that kid was probably a high achiever if he was a hewmon. (Then again, at least one of his parents was in Starfleet, of course he was a nerd.) Two of our largest obstacles to good outcomes ("school funding, properly allocated" and "a low teacher/student ratio") seem to be real easy to achieve, and that's before you start getting AI tutors like that talking fish in the same episode, alien telepathic insight, guaranteed quality child nutrition courtesy of the replicator, etc.

Now of course this won't work for every child infallibly, because there are ranges of ability, as we saw with Jules Bashir. (Though there's no reason to think he might not have caught up since presumably he would have been diagnosed as having an actual learning disability if his parents took him to a doctor.) And there would in many cases be less reason to drive hard in schooling if you had a special interest or inclination or your parents were travelling to Andoria or whatever. But I can completely buy that the feds could pack, say, what we teach up to eighth grade in the first five years of schooling.

e: Education for other species starts getting weird, of course. The big obvious example is the Klingons, who seem to be equivalent to four years old at 1 and a half, and so on. I think I remember speculating that a lot of the "bellicose idiot" Klingons that seem to implicitly be around to make impressions on people are actually, like, thirteen years old, which is why they're idiots, and why actual adults like the enemy captains in TOS and Gowron seem to be canny bastards.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 15, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nessus posted:

Now of course this won't work for every child infallibly, because there are ranges of ability, as we saw with Jules Bashir. (Though there's no reason to think he might not have caught up since presumably he would have been diagnosed as having an actual learning disability if his parents took him to a doctor.)

I got the impression Julian was straight up mentally impaired as a kid.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

bull3964 posted:

Discovery being delayed is actually very good for another reason, it swaps places with "The Good Wife" spinoff so that the spinoff is now the first original programming to premiere on All Access. This is a very good thing for two reasons.

1) If subscribing to All Access for original programming is a thing people are going to do, this will at least give them the chance to iron out bugs and improve the service. It will be a good load test.

2) It gives CBS a lot of metrics to determine if people are NOT going to subscribe just for a TV show. While not a ratings blockbuster "The Good Wife" did get consistently decent ratings and was a critical darling with a strong following. So, it stands to reason that it SHOULD attract users to the service. CBS will have a few months at looking at subscription models and seeing if there's a significant net gain in subs during that time and if those subs happened to watch the show. If (hopefully) this All Access thing turns out to be a flop, it gives them time to make alternate plans for Discovery. I'm hoping that we get to be around April of next year and CBS will announce that Discovery episodes will also air on Showtime a week after they premier on All-Access.

Repeating my assertion that Discovery should be on the CW. They know how to make nerdy shows work.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

WickedHate posted:

I got the impression Julian was straight up mentally impaired as a kid.
He might have been of below average intelligence without having a, like, disorder. Being kinda dumb isn't a disease, it's just the way of things.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Zurui posted:

Repeating my assertion that Discovery should be on the CW. They know how to make nerdy shows work.

I'd rather have the franchise die for 20 years than have it relegated to some lovely CW outing.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I like the reading that Jules was normal, but his dad just couldn't accept that at all and built this narrative of his son being retarded to justify his actions.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'd rather have the franchise die for 20 years than have it relegated to some lovely CW outing.

Hey now, "Supernatural" was fun for a couple seasons.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like the reading that Jules was normal, but his dad just couldn't accept that at all and built this narrative of his son being retarded to justify his actions.

Especially since his father clearly had his own struggles with being sub-par

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't think you understand what "made for CBS access" is going to involve. What's your beef with CW shows?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nessus posted:

He might have been of below average intelligence without having a, like, disorder. Being kinda dumb isn't a disease, it's just the way of things.

The text implies something was wrong with Julian fundamentally, either a learning disorder or something more dramatic, but;

I like this theory too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Julian even says "maybe I was just a bit slow."

I'm in the minority that likes super smart Julian who was no longer afraid to show off his genetic superiority.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

WickedHate posted:

The text implies something was wrong with Julian fundamentally, either a learning disorder or something more dramatic
What was wrong with him is ultimately irrelevant because the problem with his parents is that his parents didn't think he measured up. It didn't matter why, only that he wasn't meeting their specifications. So they intervened and in this case the intervention is more external and actionable for the sake of the drama, of course, but this isn't exactly a rare or unique circumstance.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I got the impression he was a normal child, but in his dad's eyes, he was one step away from being a helmet kid.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It actually sounded like he had pretty bad learning disabilities.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Baronjutter posted:

It actually sounded like he had pretty bad learning disabilities.

They don't really go into great detail, his father says he was falling behind the other kids but that's about it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nessus posted:

What was wrong with him is ultimately irrelevant because the problem with his parents is that his parents didn't think he measured up. It didn't matter why, only that he wasn't meeting their specifications. So they intervened and in this case the intervention is more external and actionable for the sake of the drama, of course, but this isn't exactly a rare or unique circumstance.

I'm not saying it matters to the story just that I don't think it was the authorial intent that it was something that could be solved with specialized classes, as was stated earlier.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tears In A Vial posted:

Fuckin lol, 'Lonely Among Us' ends with the revelation that there has been a cannibalistic murder on board, and then some like comedy music plays and Picard announces that he's going for a nap. Roll credits.

I've seen these episodes like a hundred times, but season one is still just balls out crazy to me.

There's a part of me that likes that kind of blase' "ehhhh, this poo poo's happened before" attitude. I mean, compare with TOS Journey to Babel where an ambassador gets murdered, another ambassador (who was framed for the murder) has a critical medical emergency, the captain nearly gets assassinated, and then the whole starship (which is full of Federation Council ambassadors) drat near gets picked off by a hot-rodded Orion attack ship.

By comparison, one ambassador getting killed and eaten by another is... an unfortunate incident, but something which hotshot Riker ought to be able to handle.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The_Doctor posted:

I got the impression he was a normal child, but in his dad's eyes, he was one step away from being a helmet kid.

He was in first grade, so I'm assuming about 6 years old, and still trying to tell the difference between a dog and a cat or a tree and a house. Even if the Federation has first grade at 3 years old, most toddlers have that down.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I got 2 and a half minutes in and had to check my progress through the video because I thought I surely must almost be done.

8 more minutes of this?!

Voyager's terribleness never ceases to amaze me.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 16, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Julian even says "maybe I was just a bit slow."

I'm in the minority that likes super smart Julian who was no longer afraid to show off his genetic superiority.

It does cheapen a lot of his accomplishments in the show, though, and it made things weird with his and O'Brien's darts game.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It does cheapen a lot of his accomplishments in the show, though, and it made things weird with his and O'Brien's darts game.

I don't disagree but I like those moments when he does some insane calculation in his head in seconds. It was like having a sex-crazed Spock around.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Zurui posted:

I don't think you understand what "made for CBS access" is going to involve. What's your beef with CW shows?

They look and feel cheap. I realize CBS isn't exactly shelling out tons of dough for Discovery, but you can probably bet that it'll be on par with Enterprise in terms of set and production design. I can't speak for the non-DC CW shows, but Arrow and Flash look like moderately-budgeted fan films with scripts to match. Don't get me wrong, they can be fun and entertaining, but they're too light on substance for something like Star Trek. CW as a whole skews toward a teenage demographic and I'm not sure you could ever have a "Measure of a Man" or "Siege of AR-558" on a CW Trek show. I realize "entertaining schlock" has become the norm for genre tv, but it's not what I'm looking for in a Star Trek series.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They look and feel cheap. I realize CBS isn't exactly shelling out tons of dough for Discovery, but you can probably bet that it'll be on par with Enterprise in terms of set and production design. I can't speak for the non-DC CW shows, but Arrow and Flash look like moderately-budgeted fan films with scripts to match. Don't get me wrong, they can be fun and entertaining, but they're too light on substance for something like Star Trek. CW as a whole skews toward a teenage demographic and I'm not sure you could ever have a "Measure of a Man" or "Siege of AR-558" on a CW Trek show. I realize "entertaining schlock" has become the norm for genre tv, but it's not what I'm looking for in a Star Trek series.

I got a feeling you're gonna be really loving disappointed with the new trek show.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
There's a ton of rose-red nostalgia for Star Trek among the fans. I know we love to talk about how amazing "Measure of a Man" was but for every high-concept exercise in philosophy there are at least three schlocky space adventures and one or two duds. That's how TV works. When it was airing and not just rerunning or on Netflix, people tuned in NEXT TIME ON STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION not for the cerebral content but because it was another adventure with the Enterprise and her crew.

Trek is a space adventure show and pretending it's some kind of meditation on humanity is just setting yourself up for disappointment. Star Trek needs to be fun and relevant first and foremost. I don't watch anything on the CW but it seems they have genre shows down to a science and that's what I want out of Trek: fun space adventures with an overarching message of hope.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

GreenNight posted:

I got a feeling you're gonna be really loving disappointed with the new trek show.

Everything we've seen so far points to them having a shoestring budget and little support from the network. It's not going to be a flagship show.

This actually makes me more excited because I'm interested to see what Bryan Fuller can pull off creatively.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I don't think it's asking too much for something with more substance than loving Arrow.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
actually, i think you'll find that having expectations is wrong and dumb, and not being an uncritical consumer makes you a huge turboloser :smuggo:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Their finally gonna put in that hot new band every week.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

This is how Discovery will be an anthology show; the cast of each episode will be supplimented by the promoted band, so one week has the Weeknd as a mysterious alien foe, and the next week has Imagine Dragons as the away team.

And the season finale will be driven by the machinations of Commodore William Broad, played by Billy Idol :v:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't think it's asking too much for something with more substance than loving Arrow.

No, really, the CW makes successful genre shows with emotional resonance that people follow religiously. But no, let's have zero Star Trek because this guy says Arrow is bad.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I came up with an episode idea similar to Galaxy Quest. In the middle of the season there's suddenly an episode taking place on Earth with a 2017 human being cryogenically unfrozen and waking up in the TOS era, but then it turns out it's only been 25 years and after a nuclear war the survivors modeled themselves off this old show. The 2017 human convinces them to drop the fiction and make their own future society.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm still trying to figure out what's being argued. The original supposition was they look and feel cheep. To me, that's talking about production values. I would be shocked, like really shocked, if the production values of Discovery come anywhere close to 'The Flash' or 'Supernatural." Expecting them to be on Enterprise level is laughable. Enterprise cost about $5 mil an episode and I would be incredibly surprised if the budget per episode was even half that (to say nothing of pre-production budget.)

People need to have fan film with experienced director level of expectations. If it's anything beyond that, it's gravy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just want some goddamned Vulcans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rhyno posted:

I just want some goddamned Vulcans.