Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

David Corbett posted:

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm not sure how you could interpret the circumstances of the crime - abandoning a pair of almost-octogenarians in the woods, at least one of whom you have severely injured and is bleeding, after depriving them of all their resources, including their methods of communication, transportation, and shelter - as anything other than having a reasonably foreseeable outcome of death. If Vader *didn't* kill them in the commission of his crime, then surely he left them in a position where their deaths were inevitable; after all, it was evidently so isolated and desolate that to this day, six years later, their bodies still haven't been found.

Yeah you pretty much just described manslaughter perfectly, good work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

A Typical Goon posted:

Yeah you pretty much just described manslaughter perfectly, good work

Really? So if I, say, stole someone's boat and chucked them overboard in a situation where their survival was essentially impossible, e.g. by dumping them in the middle of the Atlantic, that wouldn't be murder?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

David Corbett posted:

Really? So if I, say, stole someone's boat and chucked them overboard in a situation where their survival was essentially impossible, e.g. by dumping them in the middle of the Atlantic, that wouldn't be murder?

Manslaughter

Definition: A homicide committed without the intention to cause death, although there may have been an intention to cause harm. There are two broad categories of manslaughter:

Unlawful act — when a person commits a crime that unintentionally results in the death of another person. For example, an individual punches someone in the face, and that person dies of his or her injuries, or someone fires their gun carelessly in public and unintentionally shoots a bystander.

Criminal negligence — when the homicide was the result of an act or a failure to act that showed wanton or reckless disregard for the lives of others. An act is generally considered negligent if a reasonable person would have foreseen that the action would endanger a life. A failure to act can only be considered negligence if a person had a duty imposed by law to act — it does not apply, for example, to bystanders who see a person in distress and don't help.

In some instances, a murder charge may be reduced to manslaughter if alcohol or other substances are found to have impaired the mental faculties of the perpetrator or if the homicide was committed in the heat of passion resulting from provocation, which is defined as a wrongful act or insult that would deprive an ordinary person of the power of self-control.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Right, but section 229(c) is as follows:

the criminal code of Canada posted:

where a person, for an unlawful object, does anything that he knows or ought to know is likely to cause death, and thereby causes death to a human being, notwithstanding that he desires to effect his object without causing death or bodily harm to any human being.

I just don't see how stranding a couple of injured, bleeding olds in the middle of nowhere after taking/lighting on fire their car, phone and RV can't be considered something that you ought to know might just kill them. And it certainly was part of an unlawful object; he was robbing them, after all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

David Corbett posted:

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm not sure how you could interpret the circumstances of the crime - abandoning a pair of almost-octogenarians in the woods, at least one of whom you have severely injured and is bleeding, after depriving them of all their resources, including their methods of communication, transportation, and shelter - as anything other than having a reasonably foreseeable outcome of death. If Vader *didn't* kill them in the commission of his crime, then surely he left them in a position where their deaths were inevitable; after all, it was evidently so isolated and desolate that to this day, six years later, their bodies still haven't been found.

Circumstances aside, that law prof talks about how the judge's decision is based on, and explicitly cites, a section of the Criminal Code that is unconstitutional. He is quite flabbergasted that a judge could make that mistake.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Lobok posted:

Circumstances aside, that law prof talks about how the judge's decision is based on, and explicitly cites, a section of the Criminal Code that is unconstitutional. He is quite flabbergasted that a judge could make that mistake.

That's a fair comment; I was watching too, albeit not paying that much attention, and I do recall that he mentioned it but my recollection was that he wasn't relying on it. I'll have to read the actual judgement.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Lobok posted:

But on appeal might only get manslaughter.

Read bottom-up:

I went and looked at the article(s) and I fear they're right that the judge made a boo-boo.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 9, 2022

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Once again proving that Alberta is Canada's garbage pit.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 9, 2022

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Lobok posted:

Well apparently Alberta judges don't actually need to know the law.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 9, 2022

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

OSI bean dip posted:

This was before BMW offered a vegan leather option.

Fossil fuels and most plastics are made from the remains of animals who didn't consent to this treatment. :colbert:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Is there a site which explains how equalization payments work? I want something to shut down the people I know who think it's entirely designed to gently caress Alberta to the sole benefit of Quebec.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
You could link them to the people who think it's designed to gently caress Quebec to the profit of Alberta :pseudo:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Is there a site which explains how equalization payments work? I want something to shut down the people I know who think it's entirely designed to gently caress Alberta to the sole benefit of Quebec.

https://www.ualberta.ca/business/Centres/~/media/business/Centres/WCER/Documents/Publications/155ElectronicApril2final.pdf

Look at page 16, figure 9. Equalization is a federal program that all provinces pay into, even have-nots. Alberta wasn't even the biggest contributor back when it was oil-rich, let alone now when they can't pay their bills. The Maritimes are much bigger recipients than Quebec, and a lot of Quebec's equalization is just them getting back money that they paid to the federal government in the first place, something anti-Big Guv Albertans should theoretically support.

Figure 10 on the next page will also show you that equalization as a share of taxes paid per capita is minuscule. After all:

pp. 17-18 posted:

Some commentators have expressed concern about the cost of Equalization to
the non-recipient provinces. Ontario still makes the largest aggregate net
contribution but Alberta makes the largest per capita contribution. Some have
interpreted the numbers as implying that Albertans pay large portions of the
provincial expenditures in the recipient provinces. That is not the case. Figure 11,
below, shows the role of Equalization towards the financing of consolidated
provincial and local expenditures in the provinces in 2008-2009. Five provinces
received Equalization that year and the funding Equalization made to their per
capita expenditures is shown in the combined red and brown (top two) shaded
areas. The blue (bottom) portions show the funding in all provinces coming from
own-source revenues and other (non-Equalization) federal transfers.
Equalization represented between 7.5 (Quebec) and 19.2 (Prince Edward Island)
percent of expenditures. The brown (topmost) segment of the bars represents the
portion of expenditures financed by Alberta’s share of federal funding. The
Alberta share ranged between 1.1 percent in Quebec to 2.9 percent in Prince
Edward Island. Although, on a per capita basis, Albertans make significant
contributions to federal revenues, funds from Alberta do not account for large
shares of provincial level expenditures via Equalization.

I'm sure those poor Albertans are crying big crocodile tears over having to pay 1.1% of Quebec's budget for actual fiscal reasons and not because they're spiteful motherfuckers.

e: for fun also show them figure 16 on p. 28 and have them reflect on the fact that for non-Equalization transfer payments (i.e. other federal programs funded by their Albertan taxes but implemented in the whole country) Quebec takes by far the least money per capita, significantly lower than Alberta's, thanks to their opting out of federal programs. So really Alberta should be thanking them for their restraint.

e2: really the big thing to bring up is that Equalization is not designed to help those spendthrift Quebeckers, it's designed to help the impoverished Maritimes. So since the Maritimes are in the in-group of Anglo-Canadians who deserve help unlike those ungrateful out-group French-Canadians who don't, that's probably your best approach.

e3: actually as I read through this I keep coming across other good sections. At the end of the paper he goes through a few proposed responses to the supposedly unfair nature of Equalization, and for the proposal to do away with federal transfers entirely (i.e. all federal money spent within a province has to be funded with funds collected in that province, so no one subsidizes anyone else, Randtopia) he has this to say:

pp. 68-69 posted:

It is unlikely that any version of scenario D would be appealing. To obtain a
better sense of why that is unlikely, consider the implications of implementing
that policy within Alberta. (If it were good for Canada it should be good in
Alberta.) That is, suppose that all provincial revenues generated within a
municipality had to be spent within that municipality. To illustrate, all provincial
revenues from within the City of Calgary would be spent within Calgary, all
those from within Wood Buffalo spent in Wood Buffalo, from Grimshaw within
Grimshaw, from the County of Wetaskiwin within the County of Wetaskiwin,
etc. One can readily imagine the huge disparities among localities in services
and/or tax rates. It would make a north-south road trip in Alberta along
Highway 2 an interesting venture.

It is difficult to see the elimination of the interprovincial shuffling of funds
via the federal government’s policies as being an acceptable policy. Pursuit of
such objectives would seriously undermine the efficiency of public spending,
create variations in services and taxes that would be questioned on equity
grounds and also that would seriously distort resource allocation and disrupt the
Canadian economic union. Indeed, one would be left to ask, ‘What is Canada?’

[...]

Eliminating interprovincial flows of federal funds would require very
large differences in federal tax rates among the provinces. Such
differences are likely to be unacceptable on equity grounds and would
certainly introduce economic distortions and inefficiencies.

e4: another good bit

pp. 70-71 posted:

Interprovincial migration is significant in Canada. Alberta has been a
particular beneficiary of net interprovincial migration.38 Migrants bring with
them human capital. The education that they obtained elsewhere is the most
obvious form of human capital. In the case of interprovincial migration, that
education was provided at a cost to the exporting provinces and imported
without cost to the recipient provinces. Thus, interprovincial migration
represents a form of interprovincial transfers.
The net flow varies widely but it is not unusual for Alberta to experience a
net annual inflow of 20,000 people from other provinces.39 Given the attention
here to human capital, the focus is on the net in-migration of those of working
age. We consider those in the 18 to 44 age group and the years 1999 to 2008, a
period for which education costs are available. During that decade, the net
inflow of that age group into Alberta averaged 17,169 persons. Those migrants
come with good educations. Using Alberta school expenditure data, the cost of
providing those people with a high school education is estimated to be about
$1.4 billion. In addition, about 45 percent have post-secondary education. That is
likely to add $210 million to their education costs. Thus, the costs to the net
exporting provinces of this net in-migration to Alberta of this group (or the
savings to Alberta) are estimated to be in the order of $1.6 billion annually. In
addition, one might consider the public healthcare expenditures on this group
that was made by the exporting provinces. A reasonable estimate of that is $430
million.
In aggregate, net interprovincial migration has probably been providing
Alberta with about $2.0 billion annually of human capital financed by other
provinces. The net in-migrants come with an endowment of (notably) education
provided at no cost to Alberta to work in the province and contribute to the
Alberta economy and to the Alberta treasury. This annual inflow of human
capital represents a considerable net benefit for Albertans, over $600 per capita.
Interprovincial migration is a great asset to the country but the implicit
interprovincial transfers are sometimes overlooked. They should not be
neglected.
To summarize,
 Alberta has experienced substantial net in-migration – for example, an
annual average of 17,169 persons 18 to 44 years of age from 1999 to 2008.
 In-migrants bring with them human capital (notably education) provided
at the cost of the exporting provinces.
 The value of that imported human capital to Alberta is estimated to be in
the order of $2.0 billion (or over $600 per Albertan) annually. This is a
transfer to Alberta from other provinces.

pp. 75-76 posted:

The activities of the federal government result in some geographic
reshuffling of funds across the country. The federal government imposes a
nationally uniform system of taxes and undertakes a wide range of expenditure
programs intended to improve equity, deliver public services efficiently, provide
insurance, and, undoubtedly in some cases, to enhance political prospects. The
outflow from and inflows to any geographic area are unlikely to match.
Measurement of the outflows and inflows by province has garnered attention
and, in some instances, dissatisfaction. Just looking at the net contributions by
province (or other jurisdiction) is inadequate for assessing the merits of the
federal programs nationally and, very likely, with respect to any particular
province. Certainly, at least some benefits (and even some costs) extend beyond
the boundaries of the province in which funds are spent (or raised) and it is easy
to overlook past and possible future net benefits. At a minimum, a more
thorough examination would involve the assessment of the benefits and costs of
each undertaking (and, of course, any proposals should be exposed to the same
scrutiny). However, working with the data before us, looking closely at and
understanding the sources of those flows allow a better appreciation of the
causes, the underlying rationale, the reasons for the results and the scope for
change. Albertans, especially with the benefits of the latest energy boom, have
made large net contributions to the federal treasury and Alberta’s case affords a
good illustration. Almost two-thirds of the net contribution arises from the
higher incomes of Albertans and, when looking at the 35 percent attributable to
expenditure differences, the opportunities for reducing their impact appear
modest. Eliminating Equalization, a program that gets considerable attention,
would reduce Albertans’ total contribution to the federal coffers about 5.4
percent and their net contribution about 14 percent. Even eliminating all federal
transfers to the provinces (of which Equalization is one-quarter) and making all
other federal outlays equal per capita, would only manage to reduce the net
contribution of Albertans by one-third. The cost of such a policy is very high to
those in the poorest and smallest provinces while having only marginal effects
on those in the large and rich provinces. Only rather draconian measures,
measures that would effectively disassemble Canada, would have eliminated net
contributions from Alberta over the last decade.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 16, 2016

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

El Scotch posted:

I went and looked at the article(s) and I fear they're right that the judge made a boo-boo.

I rewatched the judgement and, yeah... if s. 230 is indeed unusable, this seems like a total disaster. His arguments clearly run along the lines of s. 230 argument.

I put forth an alternative scenario that could describe a second degree murder, at least based on my reading of the code, but apparently the judge didn't consider that - or, more likely, considered a s. 230 finding much simpler to conclude.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Dont forget that there are a significant number of 'albertans' from the martimes Vyelkin. What'ya mean I have to pay healthcare for me mum if she livin out by peggy's cove?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's hilarious how the judge's stupid decision to allow camera's in the court resulted in people seeing him make his egregiously wrong decision live on tv.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 16, 2016

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Harper sure did a good job at hand picking all these judges and supreme court justices. :thumbsup:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

David Corbett posted:

I rewatched the judgement and, yeah... if s. 230 is indeed unusable, this seems like a total disaster. His arguments clearly run along the lines of s. 230 argument.

I put forth an alternative scenario that could describe a second degree murder, at least based on my reading of the code, but apparently the judge didn't consider that - or, more likely, considered a s. 230 finding much simpler to conclude.

Reading the news today it does seem that there's a very real prospect that the charge could ultimately be stayed for delay.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Don't Askov motions usually happen BEFORE the trial? I mean, they were holding this guy what, six years or something?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

Don't Askov motions usually happen BEFORE the trial? I mean, they were holding this guy what, six years or something?

They tried once and failed. Reading the story today in the news they're saying it looks like the delay of a new trial (2018 or 2019) puts it at real risk it'll be stayed next time, even if it was the judge screwing up and not the crown.

This must be brutal for the family, though.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

And if they appeal it, they'd have to find a reason to put him BACK in pretrial custody, wouldn't they?

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.
The premise of this article, that we shouldn't spend so much to protect the Prime Minister, is stupid, but it's nice to see Goodale being called out.

quote:

The Canadian government is on track to spend a record amount on security to protect Justin Trudeau and members of his family this year.

According to records obtained byLa Presse, it has cost $17 million for the squad of RCMP officers to guard Trudeau from when he was elected prime minister last November to this June. That works out to an average of more than $2 million a month, and is on pace to reach around $25 million in one year.

The most expensive month so far was March, which cost the government $5 million that included more than $1 million in overtime payments. That month saw a particularly hectic itinerary for Trudeau, who was travelling to meet with US President Barack Obama in Washington, and attend meetings at the United Nations.

Trudeau has faced criticism for his packed travel schedule, prompting the government to clarify the rules around how his trips abroad are financed. During the first six months of his terms, Trudeau spent 30 days outside of Canada, while former Conservative leader Stephen Harper was gone for 16 days, The Toronto Starreported in April. Trudeau has defended his frequent trips as an important part of boosting Canada's reputation on the world stage.

Stephen Harper, who claimed his government was fiscally responsible, was slammed for blowing through his security budget, overspending by more than $23 million over the course eight years, iPolitics reported in 2014. The annual budget for Harper's security eventually rose to nearly $20 million a year, more than double that of his predecessor.

At the time, former Liberal deputy leader Ralph Goodale, who now serves as Trudeau's public safety minister, said he was concerned about Harper's cost overruns.

"It just seems like a pretty clear case of petty bad management," Goodale told iPolitics. "It seems to be that the numbers need to be reconciled and there needs to be an explanation for why there is this constant and very substantial overrun year after year after year."

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/canada-has-spent-more-than-17-million-to-protect-justin-trudeau-vgtrn

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/stephenfgordon/status/776831565133410304?s=09

Way to go pm selfie

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe
I love to have a dip in the new Scarborough Nature Reserve with canoeing, and I hope this Truly Dope trend continues because green space helps young Canadian minds get shaped into something better, more robust, and calm, IMO. An appreciation for nature and our history is integral to making Canadian culture Canadian. Before the Canadians we had Acadians and before them, the French "Families Des Royalty" or undesirables were given wealthy bonuses to come to the new world. I feel like a native sometimes due to my pre-Canadian French heritage, and it is quite gripping on me genetically. :biotruths: :truths:

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

El Scotch posted:

Reading the news today it does seem that there's a very real prospect that the charge could ultimately be stayed for delay.

That would be a catastrophe. Letting a convicted killer - and I don't think there's any question that his actions led, directly or indirectly, to the deaths of the McCanns - walk because of a judicial error in evaluating whether the facts of the case called for a verdict of murder or manslaughter?

It would be an incredibly black day in the history of our justice system if that happened. I hope better legal minds than I are working their damnedest to recover from this fiasco. Short of convicting an innocent man, this is surely a worst-case scenario.

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe

David Corbett posted:

That would be a catastrophe. Letting a convicted killer - and I don't think there's any question that his actions led, directly or indirectly, to the deaths of the McCanns - walk because of a judicial error in evaluating whether the facts of the case called for a verdict of murder or manslaughter?

It would be an incredibly black day in the history of our justice system if that happened. I hope better legal minds than I are working their damnedest to recover from this fiasco. Short of convicting an innocent man, this is surely a worst-case scenario.

Unfortunately globally the internet arrived and cingulated some minds. This effectively renders a lot of Canadia's Punitive Justice System moot with a capital M as other countries gentrify quicker and pick up the newest trends that have socially spread at a geometrically increasing rate.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

:(

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe

It'll be okay hockey will never die. Genetic screening is real and so is genetic fine tuning ;) No more deaths like Mr. Hockey :(

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
It appears the HAL bot's markov chain generator has been recalibrated and unleashed as a new account.

Welcome!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Not sure why we're hanging this on Trudeau. He didn't come up with the idea to homogenize all government IT services without first checking to make sure that it would make sense to try doing that.

LT56 posted:

Unfortunately globally the internet arrived and cingulated some minds. This effectively renders a lot of Canadia's Punitive Justice System moot with a capital M as other countries gentrify quicker and pick up the newest trends that have socially spread at a geometrically increasing rate.

Serious question, is this a markov bot?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Left of the NDP!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

Harper sure did a good job at hand picking all these judges and supreme court justices. :thumbsup:
Stephen Harper set out to sabotage and undermine the public's faith in our institutions, including our independent judiciary, and he has been very successful.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

THC posted:

Stephen Harper set out to sabotage and undermine the public's faith in our institutions, including our independent judiciary, and he has been very successful.

The usual neo-lib track for undermining and strangling public institutions is so that they become so dysfunctional and inefficent that people throw up their hands and say "fine, the private sector will do a better job of this!"

So if we move to privatize the justice system, I've got a lot of great suggestions to beef up efficiency.

Right now the police, courts and prisons are three separate institutions. That's not cost effective at all, and getting justice drags out forever.

Instead, we could combine the three roles into a single job worked by way less people. You could even give the dudes doing it a cool new name, like "Street Judges".

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

flakeloaf posted:

Serious question, is this a markov bot?

I have a feeling it is.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The Butcher posted:

Instead, we could combine the three roles into a single job worked by way less people. You could even give the dudes doing it a cool new name, like "Street Judges".

Shared Safety Canada.

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe
I got a 98% in high school ecology class then when on to start my own activist organizations that run Markov-bots. I did this because of the Canadian school system and a religious organization's impact on my intelligence. How crazy.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

flakeloaf posted:

Not sure why we're hanging this on Trudeau. He didn't come up with the idea to homogenize all government IT services without first checking to make sure that it would make sense to try doing that.

No, you see, it doesn't matter that the Harper government actually made all of the decisions. It's still Trudeau's fault because of reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
It's both their fault, hows that.