Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
We go back to the snes days and fight with sprites on a sprite battlefield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Alexander will reveal his true form and become the Giant of Babil and we'll fight him with the Lunar Whale

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going g to guess that the Alexander fight takes place in a simple geometrically shaped arena that looks removed from anywhere. Probably a circle, maybe a square. The visuals of the arena will change slightly as the fight progresses/final judgment happens. There might be a death wall. That'll be it.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

Rafza posted:

We go back to the snes days and fight with sprites on a sprite battlefield

Ozma should have done that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Alexander will reveal his true form and become the Giant of Babil and we'll fight him with the Lunar Whale

I want some primal fights where you're moving alongside the primal onboard some kind of ship that's actively attacking it, sort of like Levi/Bismarck but with more explosions.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Failboattootoot posted:

I really hope that the GC rank requirement isn't an indication that you'll only be able to get an apartment in the ward of your GC. It's probably just there as another gate with the level requirement to keep alts and gil sellers out though.

I would assume that is the case since estates aren't tied to your choice of GC either.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

What's the coolest looking fish I have the stats to catch any of them

http://en.ff14angler.com/fish/238

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I've long since gotten used to healers in PotD never casting a single damage spell, instead opting to spam cure on the tank (even if he hasn't taken damage) or whoever's closest to them (if no tank is present) and in the process tacking an unneccessary 10 minutes onto the run, but this time i've met someone who took it to the next level.
I've been in there as SMN, i enjoy the flexibility in PotD, so when i entered a group with 2 DPS and 1 healer, i just summoned Titan and went to town. The WHM and THM were often lagging behind, sometimes consistently by about one room, so they hosed around in one room doing god knows what while i was clearing the next one already, mostly with the help of the one other DPS. They were standing so close to each other and randomly stopped doing nothing in rooms together that at first i was almost convinced this was one dude multiboxing, until the THM actually spoke later on. Funnily enough, they were never late to step on the portal for the next floor.

So i've resigned myself to a slow run with two people who regularly afk, when somewhere on floor 23 the WHM suddenly speaks up (no group communication whatsoever before this point)

(the auto-translate is Cleric Stance)
Excuse the sloppy writing, unlike the healer i didn't stop fighting and progressing while chatting, so i typed most of that in between sprints to the next room. The healer and his DPS crony have completely stopped doing anything at that point, so it's just me, Titan and the other DPS, a NIN, who actually get us to the next floor. I got the sinking feeling that these two are in a party, and maybe even the third one, who remains silent.
Presumably since he didn't get a rise out of me for stepping on invisible traps that didn't even impede me, he then instead spends the next 5 minutes getting into a silly semantics slapfight over how i said that PotD isn't a dungeon duty, and then later on called it a dungeon. I proceed through the level, very slowly, with occasional help form the NIN.

Note the time stamps. At this point, it has been more than 15 minutes since the WHM last used any action (or the THM for that matter). At this point (on floor 25 by now), i decided to try to cut my losses and try to get him votekicked. Predictably, it failed. Since this isn't my first rodeo and not the first manbaby i had to deal with either, i know where they want this to head: They do jack poo poo except flaming in chat while i pull them through to the 29th floor, at the end of which i'll be votekicked.

So i announced that i'll just be idling until they kick me instead. Even that took them like two minutes.

Joke's on them at least wrt the penalty, but man, that poo poo ruined my day. Sometimes you just can't win.
Next time i encounter someone like that, i'll just reply to everything with "u mad" instead of engaging. Shoud get me kicked faster and save me some sanity. :(

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 16, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Finally beaten 3.3 msq. Now I guess I'll just level up my other classes and see the story until then.

sidenote. tried out my new scholar class. Man, healer is by miles the most stressful dungeon thing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tae posted:

sidenote. tried out my new scholar class. Man, healer is by miles the most stressful dungeon thing.

Don't worry, at high level you just occasionally have to panic and do cleric stance off, lustrate, lustrate, adlo, cleric stance on.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Tae posted:

Finally beaten 3.3 msq. Now I guess I'll just level up my other classes and see the story until then.

Why? Healers are easy. I only have Stone <X> and between one and two Aero spells. It's way easier than Monk.

Bleu fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 16, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Bleu posted:

Why? You only have Stone <X> and between one and two Aero spells. It's easy!

Unless I missed something, I have the arcanist spell line which is Ruin which is like 3 times weaker than stone unfortunately. I don't get a decent damage spell until 38 for ruin 2 iirc.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Tae posted:

Unless I missed something, I have the arcanist spell line which is Ruin which is like 3 times weaker than stone unfortunately. I don't get a decent damage spell until 38 for ruin 2 iirc.

Ruin II has the exact same potency as Ruin :v:. You have to wait for Broil. I was just making a lovely joke about dishonest healing, and I tried to make it better too late.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I only know of Ruin 2 because I did a palace run with arcanist, and having an instant damage spell is so incredibly useful and makes starting over as a scholar really annoying.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Tae posted:

Your DoTs are 350, 300 and 240 potency. Plus 200 potency for Aero if you've got it cross-classed. (Please cross-class Aero.)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^ don't forget miasma 2 and its 70 potency/target

Tae posted:

I only know of Ruin 2 because I did a palace run with arcanist, and having an instant damage spell is so incredibly useful and makes starting over as a scholar really annoying.

Its only really good as SMN because you have oGCD damage abilities. For SCH the only thing you can weave in is eye for an eye. Well, back in the day you could weave lustrates but...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Saigyouji posted:

Your DoTs are 350, 300 and 240 potency. Plus 200 potency for Aero if you've got it cross-classed. (Please cross-class Aero.)

I cross-class protect in my 1st slot because I'm only level 31 scholar. Is that wrong?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Put cleric stance first. You don't need protect for any dungeon before 20 (and quite a few after 20 for that matter).

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Thundarr posted:

FF1 battle music plays. WARMECH appears!

I'm not going to lie, having WARMECH/Death Machine show up during this last stretch would be really rad. They might be saving it for a later content set, though, even though the next one up is probably FF10.

Tae posted:

I cross-class protect in my 1st slot because I'm only level 31 scholar. Is that wrong?

Fister Roboto posted:

Put cleric stance first. You don't need protect for any dungeon before 20 (and quite a few after 20 for that matter).

More like any dungeon before 40. And even then...

Basically, Tae, BE BRAVE. Damage to your heart's content and lean on Selene for the heals. Just make sure your fairy is positioned to get everyone in heal range and you can do a ton of extra DPS with dots+Ruin. It'll get even better in HW levels with Broil, although HW content actually manages to hit people hard enough to warrant Lustrates.

Even now SCH remains my favorite healer in any MMO. In general I vastly prefer FFXIV's healers to those of other games.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 16, 2016

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Tae posted:

Ideally your first two slots should be Cleric Stance and Aero. Protect barely does anything in pre-Haukke dungeons, and your fairy can essentially solo heal them unless somebody's screwed up big time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tae posted:

Cleric stance should always be slot 1 due to level sync mechanics. If you're sync'd to too low a level for protect in slot 2 then you don't need it. And if the tank whines he can cross class it himself (only PLDs whine incidentally)

Cleric stance, aero, protect, swiftcast, stoneskin or blizzard ii it doesn't really matter.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Obligatum VII posted:

Would it be possible to spin around and elusive jump through your target? I mean, I don't have remotely the dexterity to pull it off, but it'd be pretty funny.

Very easily.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
how is elusive jumping through a target difficult? literally all you do is turn around

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The real test of bravery is elusive jumping between orbs in Leviathan EX

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The real elusive jump challenge is shiva because you can get frozen way in the air if you time it right.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Failboattootoot posted:

I really hope that the GC rank requirement isn't an indication that you'll only be able to get an apartment in the ward of your GC. It's probably just there as another gate with the level requirement to keep alts and gil sellers out though.

It uses the same requirement as purchasing an estate so I doubt it is linked to GC and is just there as a gate for bots and low level alt characters.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

SpaceDrake posted:

I'm not going to lie, having WARMECH/Death Machine show up during this last stretch would be really rad. They might be saving it for a later content set, though, even though the next one up is probably FF10.

I would love FFX/Sin themed raids.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Palace of the Dead makes me want to quit the game.

I'm still baffled this is in a 2016 game. I had a friend renew a month of FFXIV to play with me, even though he's playing Legion and Black Desert Online, and this is the best way we can play if we have different levels or classes?

That aside, the whole thing is worse than something you'd find in Diablo 1 in 1997. I'm just floored at how horrible it is.

How can anyone who greenlit and designed this be competent enough to match up to other MMOs in the future.

I'm simply in awe of how dreadful this is. I'm literally so stunned I had to make a post on it, because I'm in total disbelief that someone else didn't have the same reaction.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Has the person who made that post never done a dungeon synced?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
literally stunned except for my fingers i guess

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The real elusive jump challenge is shiva because you can get frozen way in the air if you time it right.

The victory pose emote is also perfect for this as a Dragoon.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Re-favorite if you've become a rocket corpse due to elusive jump/shoulder tackle at an inopportune time during T11.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Farg posted:

Alex fight has a quarantine mechanic where you get sent back in time, and fight savage versions of Brute Justice and Manipulator

On savage, you fight both at the same time

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
How many recurring summons are even left for them to port in as primals? I'm sort of curious what they'll do for the 4.0 raid. Maybe that's when omega weapon will finally pay off?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tortolia posted:

I would love FFX/Sin themed raids.

Only if summoners can sacrifice raid members. :devil:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Well, even when they run out of summons there's all the bosses and endbosses and such of the various games ready for use. Already seeing a bit of that with the Warring Triad as primals, for example. It'll take a good while to work through the backlog of final fantasy critters.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

How many recurring summons are even left for them to port in as primals? I'm sort of curious what they'll do for the 4.0 raid. Maybe that's when omega weapon will finally pay off?

Recurring ones? I don't think there are any left. But there's plenty of summons that only showed up once, or they could always come up with something original like Ravana.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
give us yojimbo and make him the new odin

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

give us yojimbo and make him the new odin

Spoilers for those too obtuse to see the obvious plot lines ahead of time: Rowena is Yojimbo, the primal of gently caress You, Pay Me, sustained by the worship of the House of Splendors and the general slavery to capitalism high end adventurers generate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

cheetah7071 posted:

Somebody said Ixion would make sense because the two elements left for HW primals are ice/lightning, but I think that's a stretch. Then again, I would have thought Bismarck was a stretch too.

• Locked thread