Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Or like a brammo or zero or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
LOL if you really think Chinese scooter guy is going to wear gear for a 2 mile ride.

What Environmental factors prohibit you from riding a bicycle? A bicycle would be the much better choice for a 2 mile commute.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I've got a 2-mile commute, and I've tried riding a bicycle for it.

You should get an FZ-09; it's much more fun.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Plated trials bike or bust.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

captainOrbital posted:

I've got a 2-mile commute, and I've tried riding a bicycle for it.

You should get an FZ-09; it's much more fun.

I also have an FZ-09.

You should ride a bicycle 2 miles. The motorcycle won't warm up.

EDIT: JK This:

builds character posted:

Plated trials bike or bust.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
You could maybe not go directly to work on the bike. That's also a thing, maybe go get a coffee or bagel or something.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Buhbuhj posted:

You could maybe not go directly to work on the bike. That's also a thing, maybe go get a coffee or bagel or something.

Ducati doesn't make an entry level bike.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

TheFonz posted:

Nice.

Just for a 2mi commute I would definitely just ride the bicycle, but I think an eBike or an electric scooter are good options.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/5762672211.html

So I'm thinking about checking this bike out.

I'm coming from a KLR, never really ridden sport bikes. People really seem to like these things and it looks like the guy's put a few of the little things that'd I'd end up spending a few hundred dollars on onto the bike already.

Does it look like a pretty good deal if I can talk him down like three or four hundo?

The question is more why do you want a sportbike? They suck unless you are strictly riding them at the track.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

TheFonz posted:

LOL if you really think Chinese scooter guy is going to wear gear for a 2 mile ride.

What Environmental factors prohibit you from riding a bicycle? A bicycle would be the much better choice for a 2 mile commute.

Riding a bicycle in a busy road is a good way to get killed at 6AM, and not everywhere has sidewalks.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Marxalot posted:

Riding a bicycle in a busy road is a good way to get killed at 6AM, and not everywhere has sidewalks.

htfu

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Marxalot posted:

Don't ride your bicycle on the sidewalk, that's for pedestrians.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

BlackMK4 posted:

The question is more why do you want a sportbike? They suck unless you are strictly riding them at the track.

I don't know what the heck I'm doing, man.

I need to go out and ride some things to get my head straight. I've only ridden my KLR and a couple other bikes that were in rough shape for like 10 minutes.

At this point my criteria is:
- Can cruise comfortably at 85-90, faster might be nice
- Has a decent platform, or the potential for, for a moderate amount of luggage
- At least a little bit cool
- I'd like it to be on the light side. The idea of riding a monster cruiser around doesn't sound like fun.

I've got like 8kish as a budget.

I've had my eye on FZ09s lately.

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 16, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
FZ09 is a good choice, go ride one. :)

You really, really don't want a supersport if that's what you want to do.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

- I'd like it to be on the light side. The idea of riding a monster cruiser around doesn't sound like fun.

1) EX250 will cruise comfortably at 85-90- but you probably want a vstrom. Why do you want something that rips over 100 if you don't have much experience? (I understand Want =/= Need)
2) Vstrom, but you can put luggage on a ton of things.
3) Vstro-oh gently caress :( I think it's cool, but they are an acquired taste.
4) I mean... vstrom. :/ For really light, you want something closer to 300, which is pretty much just an EX250 or whatever.

To be fair, other than the speed wobble at 85 sometimes, a wr250x/r would meet all of your criteria.

$8k will buy you a lot of used bike. I would shoot for less, unless you want new.

edit: or just get an fz-09. There is a reason everyone and their brother owns one, now.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
It's not that I want to top out the bike. I just don't want to be wringing out my bike constantly like I feel like I am with the KLR.

I've kinda warmed up to the versys, but the vstrom still puts me off aesthetically to the point where I haven't considered it at all.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/5782206846.html

What about this? :psyboom:

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 16, 2016

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

The newer vstroms look cool imo but yeah the older ones are wonky. Looks good from some angles and bad from others. I blame the fat tank/fairing area.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

I need to go out and ride some things to get my head straight. I've only ridden my KLR and a couple other bikes that were in rough shape for like 10 minutes.

you should look at sport tourers probably or maybe something like an fz1

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TheFonz posted:

Au contraire. Even comes with a USB socket so you can keep your phone charged for quick Instagrams of your new Biltwell helmet.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cpOSoyLdLA

I've got to get a different bike, I am not enjoying engaging with this brand at all.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Get a zg1000 with original panniers

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Razzled posted:

you should look at sport tourers probably or maybe something like an fz1
Yep, this. A sport tourer is exactly what you're describing. Maybe a VFR800?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Schroeder91 posted:

The newer vstroms look cool imo but yeah the older ones are wonky. Looks good from some angles and bad from others. I blame the fat tank/fairing area.

Alternatively there is our lord and saviour, the SV650 which is pretty much a not-ugly Vstrom with slightly more aggressive engine tune.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

CB500x MSRP starts at 6500 bucks, its light and will cruise at 90 but takes a bit to get there. average 50mpg, and its light and easy to take care of and ride.

And it's a honda, so it's solid as hell. Here's mine: (Seat is aftermarket. PAnniers and topcase are all GIVI aftermarket)

Every other bike suggested so far also is also awesome, so...

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 16, 2016

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is lane splitting harder with big touring luggage?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yes, you have to think about the wide point behind you.

If I'm setting a bike up with luggage, I like to keep the handlebar as the widest point if possible. Unfortunately the factory luggage on the Uly throws that one out the window.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

contemplating going out to take a look at this. '72 duc scrambler 250

would make a nice project to make pretty again

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Razzled posted:

BUT THE PATINA

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Don't do that razz, buy my ducati once I do the belts (or before).

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Razzled posted:

Bah, buy my XL and DT for less than what they probably want for that

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Are you old enough for a BMW? What about a 2007ish R1200s in Chris Foss-like paint scheme? It fits your criteria:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/5736933399.html

get a Ventura Rack for your luggage.

Or get a Ulysses because it's a KLR times two.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Razzled posted:

lmao no

As someone who's currently in the dregs of a 79 Honda rebuild, do not do this. Parts availability is going to be garbage, the engine is going to be marginal, and as a first project bike do something that had a billion spares on eBay unless you wanna be commissioning machine shops for random parts that are broken.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd put a Lifan in that

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Z3n posted:

lmao no

As someone who's currently in the dregs of a 79 Honda rebuild, do not do this. Parts availability is going to be garbage, the engine is going to be marginal, and as a first project bike do something that had a billion spares on eBay unless you wanna be commissioning machine shops for random parts that are broken.

aw too bad, technically its running but yea who knows how well. machining parts is not something i want to get into at this stage lol

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
As my back issues continue to drive me loving nuts, I am considering either going full old man riser bars on my f4i, or swapping to something a little more ergo-friendly next season. The VFR is a cool bike, but it seems really, really heavy. Im pretty short and the f4i is probably about the limit for me as far as seat height and weight that I can maneuver at low speeds. I cannot flat foot the f4i, but I can get both feet down and I am not fully on my toes either.

Besides going full old man stylez with a mid 2000's VFR, any other bikes I should consider? I like faired, japanese bikes. SV650S?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone should just buy a VFR, to be perfectly honest.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

Im pretty short and the f4i is probably about the limit for me as far as seat height and weight that I can maneuver at low speeds. I cannot flat foot the f4i, but I can get both feet down and I am not fully on my toes either.

Lol, please.

u can have the couch
Apr 16, 2009
So it looks like my neighbor is getting rid of her ninja. From what I can tell it's a 250 not sure what year. But it's for sure an older model. She's kept it out side and rarely rides it maybe one a week or two. It would be my first bike I've never ridden anything
Chain looks ok but there's a dent in the tank and some zip ties on the front fairing. The chain looks good no rust but it's super tight I read somewhere it should be a little lose? Anyway I think she would take less then 800 because she's moving and wants it gone. I know it runs well is there anything I should watch out for? She lives next door so I can always ask about maintenance and what now

u can have the couch fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 16, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Paint vagrant get a 08 XB12SCG you don't need a fairing it has a 28" saddle height and more precise handling than you could even imagine. Plus something us in the biz like to call "torque"

What's the fixation on flat footing? It doesn't help you when you're riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I have no fixation on flat footing, but if I got a bike that was any significant amount taller I would have a lot of difficulty maneuvering it into my slightly uphill garage/uphill work motorcycle parking spots.