Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Didn't see anything about winter in the last 5 pages. I've moved to a new house without a garage :shepicide:. Right now my bikes are stashed on the side of the house, with oxford moto covers which don't quite reach the ground. I live in Canada and expect several feet of snow over several months.

What are my options for weather-proofing a bike for such winter conditions? Some wood to keep the tires off the pavement? Wrap the bike in a tarp?

If push comes to shove, I'll rent a small storage/garage space, but that's a last resort as they're not cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My bikes have been thru some gnar blizzards. I just put on a dowco weatherall and bungee it down if it was forecast to be windy as poo poo. Didn't bother keeping it off the ground or anything. Aside from general winterizing (incl fogging cylinders maybe) I would grease any bolts that might get rusty (never bothered on the sv, but my ninja had a couple that did).

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

epalm posted:

Didn't see anything about winter in the last 5 pages. I've moved to a new house without a garage :shepicide:. Right now my bikes are stashed on the side of the house, with oxford moto covers which don't quite reach the ground. I live in Canada and expect several feet of snow over several months.

What are my options for weather-proofing a bike for such winter conditions? Some wood to keep the tires off the pavement? Wrap the bike in a tarp?

If push comes to shove, I'll rent a small storage/garage space, but that's a last resort as they're not cheap.

I ended up getting a storage unit for year round cause my apartment doesn't even have a parking lot. No access to power, so I might have to unhook the battery over winter. There might be other options depending on where you are. I have seen winter storage offered by a motorcycle club type place, and a couple dealer/mechanics.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

I would grease any bolts that might get rusty (never bothered on the sv, but my ninja had a couple that did).
Spraying poo poo with WD40 is good for that. Meaning pretty much any piece of exposed metal, except the brake pads and rotors.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Spraying poo poo with WD40 is good for that. Meaning pretty much any piece of exposed metal, except the brake pads and rotors.

To Add: WD40 is the only thing that really gets the grease and brake dust off my neon wheels on my FZ. I would suggest buying stock in the stuff how often I am using it now.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Funny how something designed for displacing water does a good job at water displacement.

Captain Tact
Feb 9, 2006
I'm your only friend, I'm not your only friend.
I'm taking the CMSP riding course this weekend, and they have a bunch of different kinds of bikes I can ride for the course and the test. I've never ridden a motorcycle. I know gently caress all about motorcycles. Among the list were a CB300 and some kind of supermoto. I'm leaning toward one of these. Which one should I ride at the course?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Anything they have at the course will be fine. In fact, see if you can try out a couple of them and get a feel for riding position and general comfort level. Everyone fits bikes differently.

That said, ride the supermoto. Brappp

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Captain Tact posted:

I'm taking the CMSP riding course this weekend, and they have a bunch of different kinds of bikes I can ride for the course and the test. I've never ridden a motorcycle. I know gently caress all about motorcycles. Among the list were a CB300 and some kind of supermoto. I'm leaning toward one of these. Which one should I ride at the course?

even if you don't want one (gently caress is wrong with you) supermotos are cheat codes for MSF. they are ridiculously easy to maneuver and control.

the cb300 is a cheap feeling piece of crap with throttle feel similar to putting your hand into quicksand

Captain Tact
Feb 9, 2006
I'm your only friend, I'm not your only friend.
Good idea on trying out a few different ones, I'll do that if I can. I'm not sure what I want to eventually get after I get my M1, but after checking out the supermoto thread, it seems to me like I'd be a fool for riding anything else. Durable, easy to maneuver, relatively inexpensive, easy to maintain, and faster than a sportbike in the turns? What is the downside? Am I missing something?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Captain Tact posted:

Good idea on trying out a few different ones, I'll do that if I can. I'm not sure what I want to eventually get after I get my M1, but after checking out the supermoto thread, it seems to me like I'd be a fool for riding anything else. Durable, easy to maneuver, relatively inexpensive, easy to maintain, and faster than a sportbike in the turns? What is the downside? Am I missing something?

the entry ones are slow and uncomfortable. the look is something you either love or hate

but they are good for beginners because they quite literally can do everything, intro to dirt, intro to corners, intro to WHEELIES

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They aren't good on the highway (buzzy, windy, not much range, some burn oil) and every non-rider you meet will say "why are you riding a dirt bike?"

That's about it, though.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Sagebrush posted:

They aren't good on the highway (buzzy, windy, not much range, some burn oil) and every non-rider you meet will say "why are you riding a dirt bike?"

That's about it, though.

Except for the 690!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Anything I should know about taking my bike to higher altitudes?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

My Harley's fuel injected, so should have no issue, right?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Bananana posted:

My Harley's fuel injected, so should have no issue, right?

You'll have an issue, but there's nothing you can do about it. :v: It loses power, but magic computer makes sure the mixture is ok.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Just tape a leaf blower over the air intake, she'll be 'right.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Captain Tact posted:

What is the downside? Am I missing something?

Tiny tank. Uncomfortable for long rides (seat, upright + no wind protection). Only the 690 is really suitable for long highway rides to begin with. Won't be as durable as a 4cyl. They make you misbehave.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You get used to wind blast. I'm stockholm syndromy enough with it to equate still air with boring.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Captain Tact posted:

I think you'll find that any downsides you can find with supermotos are actually projections of your own inadequacies onto gods chosen bike style

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm trying to find an aftermarket speedo for my bandit that won't bankrupt me. Literally all I want is a speedo + odo that can run off the bike's speed sensor but all I can find is either $20 cable driven ones or $400 full-function dashboards. Does what I'm looking for even exist? And do factory speed sensors all punch out the same sort of signal or are they all different?

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
2000 sv650 used for commuting in heavy rain, cold and above 95 degrees routinely

ok so i just hosed my chain on a 2500 mile trip from Eugene, OR to the grand canyon. i thought i could eyeball my chain to determine if it needed lube and determined at every check it looked wet (go ahead and facepalm). the chain wasn't well maintained when i got it and now it has kinks that can be unkinked but spring back. point is, i need a new chain. now I'd LIKE to do less chain maintenance if there are chains (not belts) that offer that. would using one of those fancy z, xw, rx, or whatever chains make it less susceptible to neglect or are they just for really pushing the bike.

also the brand I'm thinking looks good is rk racing. they seem to have good reviews but I'll toss that for goon advice of given

I'm not interested in saving this chain, it's near the end if it's life

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

I'm trying to find an aftermarket speedo for my bandit that won't bankrupt me. Literally all I want is a speedo + odo that can run off the bike's speed sensor but all I can find is either $20 cable driven ones or $400 full-function dashboards. Does what I'm looking for even exist? And do factory speed sensors all punch out the same sort of signal or are they all different?

Trail tech vapor? They're like $120 and I think have adaptors for the factory speed sensor

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Verge posted:

2000 sv650 used for commuting in heavy rain, cold and above 95 degrees routinely

ok so i just hosed my chain on a 2500 mile trip from Eugene, OR to the grand canyon. i thought i could eyeball my chain to determine if it needed lube and determined at every check it looked wet (go ahead and facepalm). the chain wasn't well maintained when i got it and now it has kinks that can be unkinked but spring back. point is, i need a new chain. now I'd LIKE to do less chain maintenance if there are chains (not belts) that offer that. would using one of those fancy z, xw, rx, or whatever chains make it less susceptible to neglect or are they just for really pushing the bike.

also the brand I'm thinking looks good is rk racing. they seem to have good reviews but I'll toss that for goon advice of given

I'm not interested in saving this chain, it's near the end if it's life

I feel like my RK chain was kinking up badly, after 6k, even with regular cleaning and lubrication. It still worked fine, but basically looked like I'd neglected it a ton, which I most certainly do not. On the other hand, the DID chain I got worked great, though I only put a few hundred on that one. The only thing I'd really recommend is getting a chain breaker and press tool. With that, whatever chain you have will be easy to replace if you hate it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I run RK XSO chains on nearly everything. If I'm insanely diligent I can push 40k on a chain, usually I forget or get lazy and end up getting much less.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

any recommendations for sprockets? there's some fancy looking ones that i like aesthetically that are all light and poo poo

edit: brands/types, not sizes. going stock

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

1. Fits your bike
2. Steel
3. ???

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Verge posted:

any recommendations for sprockets? there's some fancy looking ones that i like aesthetically that are all light and poo poo

Ye brah get you some drilled and slotted monster energy sprockets fuckin sikk

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Verge posted:

Jt sprockets. End story.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Coydog posted:

Jt sprockets. End story.

Dis. JT or Sunstar in the steel variety.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Razzled posted:

Ye brah get you some drilled and slotted monster energy sprockets fuckin sikk

p much

alright, I'll get some jt

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Verge posted:

p much

alright, I'll get some jt

Jt also happens to be super effing cheap.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Trail tech vapor? They're like $120 and I think have adaptors for the factory speed sensor

This was my first option but they aren't the look I'm going for (I really really want a needle, not an LCD) and they don't have an odo I don't think, and I need that to be able to register the bike for the road.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

This was my first option but they aren't the look I'm going for (I really really want a needle, not an LCD) and they don't have an odo I don't think, and I need that to be able to register the bike for the road.

Agreed, I ran a vapor for for a couple weeks on my bandit 1200 and it did the job fine but I couldn't get down with the looks and the fact that it was all digital

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Digital tachometers are the worst.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Slavvy posted:

They have an odometer. And a tripmeter, and an hour meter.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PaintVagrant posted:

Digital tachometers are the worst.

The ZX10R isn't that bad... as much as I wanted to hate it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Meh, who needs a tachometer? Give me a red light for redline, that's plenty.

(Admittedly it is convenient, though, since my speedometer markings are tiny and inaccurate. Instead I know that 4500RPM on the highway is easygoing, 5000 is normal, 5500 is fast, and 6000 is too fast)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I need a "you're in 6th gear" light because I'm always hoping their is a 7th it seems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Every motorcyclist is either a compulsive top-gear-checker or a compulsive turn-signal-disabler, or both.