Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

The Lord of Hats posted:

Is there a good way to get cats to enjoy laps/being cuddled? Tuna loves attention, but he insists that he be allowed to sit/walk around on a cat pedestal (ie my desk, side table, kitchen table, bedside table, etc.) while I pet him. Which is fine, but I really want to do some intensive cat cuddling.

Man, I wish I knew. :( One of my cats hates me and won't let me hold him. I tried to bribe him with treats and then hold him, but all that did was make him not eat treats until he sees me walk away (even now). I've had him for over 2 years, and he still won't let me pet him unless I'm lying down in bed.

I guess some cats just want it their way. v:saddowns:v Meanwhile my other 2 cats love petting so much that they occasionally release rear end juice due to their pleasure.

Ratzap posted:

You sure his glands aren't impacted or infected? Last time one of mine was squirting bum juice I took her to the vet and got it fixed (vet ended up having to squeeze it or something. Both cat and vet were not happy about the whole thing).

It's a rare occurrence. It only seems to leak out if he's particularly happy, and usually it's not that wet. My other cat, a girl, also gets smelly butt if she thinks I'm petting her really well, but the liquid doesn't actually get out on anything. I'm aware of anal sac issues and I've looked up info on it, but their butts appear to be healthy, not inflamed or anything.

Occasionally I'll go get a wet wipe to clean their assholes when they get stinky, but they hate that and run away as soon as they see the wipe in my hand.
:catstare: no butt stuff bad touch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Is there a good way to get cats to enjoy laps/being cuddled? Tuna loves attention, but he insists that he be allowed to sit/walk around on a cat pedestal (ie my desk, side table, kitchen table, bedside table, etc.) while I pet him. Which is fine, but I really want to do some intensive cat cuddling.

All the cats I've had that like laps or cuddling like them better when they've got a nice secure surface. A blanket over the lap seems to help. Laying down on the sofa gets me an instant cat who can fall safely asleep on top of me against the couch back. Another, very small cat will lie down on my chest if I'm lying down or leaning way back in a chair. It's all about support, apparently.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gorgar posted:

All the cats I've had that like laps or cuddling like them better when they've got a nice secure surface. A blanket over the lap seems to help. Laying down on the sofa gets me an instant cat who can fall safely asleep on top of me against the couch back. Another, very small cat will lie down on my chest if I'm lying down or leaning way back in a chair. It's all about support, apparently.

Yeah, a favorite blanket will do the trick every time for me. Of course my cat will do it anyway, but chances of cuddles are increased with said blanket.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Time to go downstairs +1
Time to stand by the food-bowl during mealtime +1
Spooky noises +1
Late coming home from work +1
Cold inside the house +2
Fuzzy blanket +2
Late evening +3

<5 = Probably not Cuddles
5 = Possible Cuddles
>5 = Definite Cuddles

Cuddles may be replaced at anytime by loud meowing

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The worst is when catte wants cuddles but you do not and you have to heartbreakingly reject its movements by moving it off your stomach or whatever :smith:

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Some cats just aren't super into laps and cuddles. Macready also prefers a cat pedestal for the most part, although he will occasionally come flump down against me in bed and demand chin scritches. One of my old cats was like that when she was young too, though when she hit 7 or 8 she became a lot more cuddly and even started lap sitting. So maybe he'll come round with time?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Werong Bustope posted:

Some cats just aren't super into laps and cuddles. Macready also prefers a cat pedestal for the most part, although he will occasionally come flump down against me in bed and demand chin scritches. One of my old cats was like that when she was young too, though when she hit 7 or 8 she became a lot more cuddly and even started lap sitting. So maybe he'll come round with time?

My family's last cat was never a lap cat to the end of his days. He'd happily sit on the arm or back of your chair or couch, just not the lap.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Some cats are real picky about laps, some are huge lap lovebugs. This is Scout, the kitty of my fiancee and myself. She loves laps when someone is at the computer, and not much elsewhere.

Tortie tax paid :kimchi:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

It's interesting. Cats in general are very interesting. I often wonder just HOW MUCH of a cats personality has to do with their owner(s) or possible environment.

I say this because of Sardine, my recent 4-year-old female adoptee whom I've had for 6 weeks now. In that time, she's grown from being terrified of me and always running up to a cabinet above the fridge where she practically lived whenever hearing/seeing me.... To hanging out mostly where-ever, rearing up on her back legs when she sees me going to pet her to rub her cheek on my hand lovingly and fall back onto her front paws. She's even rolled over onto her belly and let me give her belly rubs!

Now, I was at one of the two coffee shops in Portland that Sardine's previous owners own and operate, and none of them were there, but I got into a conversation with an employee (who knows them well) about Sardine. She said that Sardine had allowed her to be pet twice, and that were like BIG moments in her life. This is over years and many appearances. She was utterly *shocked* at the cat I was describing.

But anyway, this is what I mean. Sardine lived with a 3-year-old boy at the time - I'm sure her skittishness and hiding tendencies may have had to do with that.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Good job with Sardine! Sounds like you have a very happy cat.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Quick question about scratch pad. Our cat used to be happy to use her cardboard scratch pad, but we got a new area rug and now that's her go to scratching target. We've tried putting catnip on the cardboard pad but she just loves the carpet. Any suggestions?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Our cat, Lorna Dash Parkour Duwang (Lorna if being a good cat, Parkour if bad), just got diagnosed with the early signs of liver failure (he was vomiting and lethargic the other day). He'll be needing medication for 6 months and will have to be put on a special diet. He's barely a year old.

We'll be fine, I hope.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Sorry, Schneider Heim :(

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ciaphas posted:

The worst is when catte wants cuddles but you do not and you have to heartbreakingly reject its movements by moving it off your stomach or whatever :smith:

Mine knows exactly when I have less than 2 minutes until I need to do something important like take the frozen pizza out of the oven and I know she needs at least 10 minutes of cuddles :(

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Mid-morning piss is time to cuddle me.
He jumps up on my shoulder and I have to be careful he doesn't fall in.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Took my recently adopted cat to the vet for the first time today. Everything went pretty well I suppose, but the vet markets herself as a homeopathic vet, offering the likes of acupuncture and chiropractic for animals. She recommended giving the cat human probiotics to help reduce our cat's watery eyes (she's a Burmese, this is apparently normal). She also mentioned that she generally shies away from giving animals vaccines, but that she'd give the cat a rabies vaccine "without the bad stuff" (mercury) because it's required by law (not, you know, because we don't want our cat getting rabies). She didn't give her the vaccine today because she said the cat had a fever (her temperature was right at 102.5) and didn't want to suppress her immune system further. I tend to be extremely skeptical of homeopathic approaches in general, so am I right to be a little weirded out? My main concern is that she has some random homeopathic rabies vaccine formulation that isn't a vaccine at all. If the cat actually gets sick in the future, I might look elsewhere.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

illcendiary posted:

Took my recently adopted cat to the vet for the first time today. Everything went pretty well I suppose, but the vet markets herself as a homeopathic vet, offering the likes of acupuncture and chiropractic for animals. She recommended giving the cat human probiotics to help reduce our cat's watery eyes (she's a Burmese, this is apparently normal). She also mentioned that she generally shies away from giving animals vaccines, but that she'd give the cat a rabies vaccine "without the bad stuff" (mercury) because it's required by law (not, you know, because we don't want our cat getting rabies). She didn't give her the vaccine today because she said the cat had a fever (her temperature was right at 102.5) and didn't want to suppress her immune system further. I tend to be extremely skeptical of homeopathic approaches in general, so am I right to be a little weirded out? My main concern is that she has some random homeopathic rabies vaccine formulation that isn't a vaccine at all. If the cat actually gets sick in the future, I might look elsewhere.

yes.

just the phrase " She also mentioned that she generally shies away from giving animals vaccines, but that she'd give the cat a rabies vaccine "without the bad stuff" (mercury) because it's required by law"

is like :siren: all over the place to me.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Homeopaths and anti-vaxers are kooks and google says 102.5 is the upper edge of a normal cat temperature. Run far, far away from this person and do not let her near your pets again.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Hahaha run as far from that lunatic as you can and don't let her put her mystery vaccine in your cat. If she doesn't believe in vaccines she probably doesn't believe in crazy stuff like "proper handling" and "temperature regulation" either.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
My mothers homeopathic "doctor" told her smoking was harmless if she rolled her own cigarettes. Needless to say i have very low opinions on homeopathy and its often quite space cadet practitioners.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SneakyFrog posted:

My mothers homeopathic "doctor" told her smoking was harmless if she rolled her own cigarettes. Needless to say i have very low opinions on homeopathy and its often quite space cadet practitioners.

Homeopathy is also based on the idea that substances somehow remember and carry over what they've been in contact with. Your typical homeopathic cure-all is just plain water.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

What, are the vaccinations going to make my cats more mentally handicapped?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Homeopathy is garbage but there is evidence that our pets do not need to be vaccinated as often as vets will tell us. Booster shots may be unnecessary in some cases, for example, but I still do it because I'm a sap

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Can you even imagine what a pain in the rear end an autistic cat would be? But yeah find another vet my goon, if a person wants homeopathy for themselves that's their own decision to make, but a pet can't make that choice.

Schneider Heim, I'm sorry to hear about Lorna's liver problems :( Do you guys know if there's a cause, did he eat something dumb or whatever? But try not to worry too much, catching liver failure in the early stages is eminently treatable and kitty should have a good outlook.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mister Adequate posted:

Can you even imagine what a pain in the rear end an autistic cat would be?

It would be called a weird cat.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Homeopathy is garbage but there is evidence that our pets do not need to be vaccinated as often as vets will tell us. Booster shots may be unnecessary in some cases, for example, but I still do it because I'm a sap

There's quite an ongoing scuffle about the whole subject. The world small animal veterinary association (allegedly with drug company interests on it's board) recently changed it's advice for cats to every 3 to 4 years with newer products which may or may not cover everything a vaccine for your area needs to. I talked about this with one of the vets at the Edinburgh clinic recently and he said the biggest problem in getting a proper, scientific answer once and for all is money. The group with all the testing data and the money are the same ones who create the vaccine and want to sell as much as possible. So they're not going to do the research or fund it if there's a good chance it might show cats have full life protection if vaccinated correctly as kittens (ie like humans do).

Seeing how you need vaccination certificates to use catteries, passports etc, you probably are just as well keeping to the guidelines.

Edit: The WSAVA paper http://www.wsava.org/sites/default/files/WSAVA%20Vaccination%20Guidelines%202015%20Full%20Version.pdf

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cythereal posted:

It would be called a weird cat.

Stop repeating yourself FIRST TIME THIS JOKE HAS EVER BEEN MADE

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
I recently adopted two kittens, about 5 and 4 months old, and I'm worried about the effects of overheating. My apartment's AC unit is on the fritz so now it's 90+ degrees indoors. How hot is TOO hot for kittens? They seem less energetic than normal, which is to be expected in the heat, but otherwise they're both still eating and drinking (I at least have fresh, cold water to give them). I see the younger one panting every now and then but they're still playing with each other so behavior-wise, they don't act off.

Right now I'm just trying to get them to rest next to icepacks if I see them panting, but I don't know if my landlord can look at the AC today so I'm worried about going to work tomorrow morning and leaving them alone in the heat while I'm gone. Are they in danger in these kind of conditions?

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Stop repeating yourself FIRST TIME THIS JOKE HAS EVER BEEN MADE

Whoa friend that kind of hostility belongs in the dog threads.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Tiptoes posted:

I recently adopted two kittens, about 5 and 4 months old, and I'm worried about the effects of overheating. My apartment's AC unit is on the fritz so now it's 90+ degrees indoors. How hot is TOO hot for kittens? They seem less energetic than normal, which is to be expected in the heat, but otherwise they're both still eating and drinking (I at least have fresh, cold water to give them). I see the younger one panting every now and then but they're still playing with each other so behavior-wise, they don't act off.

Right now I'm just trying to get them to rest next to icepacks if I see them panting, but I don't know if my landlord can look at the AC today so I'm worried about going to work tomorrow morning and leaving them alone in the heat while I'm gone. Are they in danger in these kind of conditions?

I honestly think your cats are fine. The main animal that the Domestic Cat is descended from is the African Wildcat, as I recall, an animal which has several evolutionary adaptations for surviving in extremely hot weather (as in, 110+-degree weather). Not to say it's *good* for cats, but speaking in general terms your average cat is far better suited to survive in extreme heat than, say, extreme cold. Though of course this isn't always true, you do get cats like the Maine Coon who has developed a number of traits to survive and hunt in deep snow and cold weather.

They've got several obvious adaptations you notice - like we were talking about cats who eat wet food barely drinking water at all? Cats have incredible water retention, and a reason why cat-pee is so smelly is because the concentration of urea is much higher than in humans.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. But at ~90 degrees I don't really think you're anywhere close to the danger zone for kittens. Frankly, they're far better adapted to this sort of weather than you are!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kaworu posted:

I honestly think your cats are fine. The main animal that the Domestic Cat is descended from is the African Wildcat, as I recall, an animal which has several evolutionary adaptations for surviving in extremely hot weather (as in, 110+-degree weather). Not to say it's *good* for cats, but speaking in general terms your average cat is far better suited to survive in extreme heat than, say, extreme cold. Though of course this isn't always true, you do get cats like the Maine Coon who has developed a number of traits to survive and hunt in deep snow and cold weather.

They've got several obvious adaptations you notice - like we were talking about cats who eat wet food barely drinking water at all? Cats have incredible water retention, and a reason why cat-pee is so smelly is because the concentration of urea is much higher than in humans.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. But at ~90 degrees I don't really think you're anywhere close to the danger zone for kittens. Frankly, they're far better adapted to this sort of weather than you are!

However, consider introducing the kittens to the sink, bathtub, or other sources of porcelain they can lay down on. Porcelain tends to stay much cooler than other materials and that is the source of cats often being found in sinks and tubs.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Tiptoes posted:

Stray cats survive outside in those types of temperature all the time, really. Just make sure they have lots of water and keep a fan running or something.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Mister Adequate posted:

Schneider Heim, I'm sorry to hear about Lorna's liver problems :( Do you guys know if there's a cause, did he eat something dumb or whatever? But try not to worry too much, catching liver failure in the early stages is eminently treatable and kitty should have a good outlook.
Apparently the (dry) cat food we've been giving him has caused it. Also he is obese at 4.8 kilograms despite still technically being a kitten (which is weird, as he barely eats). I read up and learned that dry cat food contains lots of carbs tend to make cats put on weight. The new food won't come cheap, but we'll manage.

We took him home today. He has been a good cat, the vet said. I'm a proud cat dad!

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

kaworu posted:

Cythereal posted:

However, consider introducing the kittens to the sink, bathtub, or other sources of porcelain they can lay down on. Porcelain tends to stay much cooler than other materials and that is the source of cats often being found in sinks and tubs.

Khizan posted:

Stray cats survive outside in those types of temperature all the time, really. Just make sure they have lots of water and keep a fan running or something.
Thanks for the reassurances. They've been hanging out in the bathroom for most of the time and I'm making sure their water stays chilled and I've got plenty of moist wet food to provide. And if they stay still long enough, I can get them to rest next to icepacks. I've barely had the two a month and I've grown quite attached to them. I've found this heat terrible to live in and I would've hated myself if it wound up hurting either of them because they're still so small.

As payment, here are the two of them trying to stay cool.

Ozzie

Luna

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Tiptoes posted:

Thanks for the reassurances. They've been hanging out in the bathroom for most of the time and I'm making sure their water stays chilled and I've got plenty of moist wet food to provide. And if they stay still long enough, I can get them to rest next to icepacks. I've barely had the two a month and I've grown quite attached to them. I've found this heat terrible to live in and I would've hated myself if it wound up hurting either of them because they're still so small.

As payment, here are the two of them trying to stay cool.

Ozzie

Luna

nice kittens sorry you have to deal with the temps, Fl is pretty much the same, hell youd most likely find me laying face down in the tub trying to stay cool if it was 90 inside.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It's always wonderful to see a cat explore new horizons, except when said new horizons are the top of the refrigerator so he can demolish all the paper towels.

Dammit Tuna you have a wonderful cat tree if you want verticality and you don't use it why do you have to be like this.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Lord of Hats posted:

It's always wonderful to see a cat explore new horizons, except when said new horizons are the top of the refrigerator so he can demolish all the paper towels.

Dammit Tuna you have a wonderful cat tree if you want verticality and you don't use it why do you have to be like this.

I'm very sorry hatlord, It appears to be a terminal case of......cat.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

God, cats are assholes. Why do we love these stupid creatures again? :mad:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ciaphas posted:

God, cats are assholes. Why do we love these stupid creatures again? :mad:

Toxioplasmosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

SneakyFrog posted:

I'm very sorry hatlord, It appears to be a terminal case of......cat.

:negative: