Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Both poor and fat are strongly correlated with dumb. Well that was easy :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
An obese man has raised 17 thousand dollars to make a documentary about why men don't want to gently caress him

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/no-fats-no-femmes-documentary-lgbt#/

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Panfilo posted:

There's also a strong relationship between obesity and the hours of sleep a person gets. Not coincidentally, poorer people get less sleep on average, particularly minorities.

i think there is just a strong relationship between any number of things and being fat. Which means there are a ton of excuses.

People like you responding to every criticism about fatness with a never ending series of excuses does literally nothing. Those people can still change their circumstances. They can put in effort, they can not be fat.

They don't want to, and you are just a smokescreen making their job of being fatlords much easier.

The problem here isn't that there are trends which contribute to weight changes, it's that you think that somehow justifies being fat.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Fine. Every fat poor is exempt from my contempt. I'll only hate on fatties with enough economic privilege to post online about how being fat is okay. Oh wait.

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe
go to taco bell proud dairy queen

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

NomChompsky posted:

Some are, some aren't. The people who are with them in spite of it though are likely not disgusted, they just don't care. And if the choice is don't care or actively like it who gives a poo poo.

I think the point people were trying to make was that most people given the option would prefer if their partner were the same person they were now but more fit or at a healthier weight. Saying that obese people find happy and fulfilling relationships is sort of tangential to that, it doesn't mean that the concept of ideal beauty has changed just that people can have different priorities and adjust their standards to reflect that.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
i wonder how angry someone who is actually starving and poor would feel at hugely fat people saying they are poor and can't afford to be skinny.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Fat Shat Sings posted:

i think there is just a strong relationship between any number of things and being fat. Which means there are a ton of excuses.

People like you responding to every criticism about fatness with a never ending series of excuses does literally nothing. Those people can still change their circumstances. They can put in effort, they can not be fat.

They don't want to, and you are just a smokescreen making their job of being fatlords much easier.

The problem here isn't that there are trends which contribute to weight changes, it's that you think that somehow justifies being fat.

I think the issue is individually the solution is obvious, eat less, move more and it's something the vast majority of people understand regardless of what wacky tweets and blogposts we can laugh at. But if it's such a simple thing, then why are so many people failing at it now and why has that number gone up so much in the past couple decades. I don't think we've all collectively evolved to be lazier with no willpower so there's probably some industrial and cultural explanations that contributed to the epidemic we have today.

Yeah as an individual the only thing you really can do is watch what you eat and try to get more exercise but screaming this over and over again until your blue in the face is obviously not doing poo poo about the problem on a wide scale.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

ArbitraryC posted:

I think the issue is individually the solution is obvious, eat less, move more and it's something the vast majority of people understand regardless of what wacky tweets and blogposts we can laugh at. But if it's such a simple thing, then why are so many people failing at it now and why has that number gone up so much in the past couple decades. I don't think we've all collectively evolved to be lazier with no willpower so there's probably some industrial and cultural explanations that contributed to the epidemic we have today.

Yeah as an individual the only thing you really can do is watch what you eat and try to get more exercise but screaming this over and over again until your blue in the face is obviously not doing poo poo about the problem on a wide scale.

That's my point. The only way to reverse the problem of to tackle it on a national level.

Telling heroin addicts to just put the needle down isn't going to have some profound change in drug habits, and havimg the same attitude about obesity won't either.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Panfilo posted:

That's my point. The only way to reverse the problem of to tackle it on a national level.

Telling heroin addicts to just put the needle down isn't going to have some profound change in drug habits, and havimg the same attitude about obesity won't either.

Doesn't mean I can't lol at TCC.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

ArbitraryC posted:

People eat more processed food which uses lots of salt and sugar as preservatives to prolong shelf life and as a taste carpet bomb for your tongue to overload the taste of chemicals, so processed food is overly salty or sweet.

capitalism in a nut shell

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Panfilo posted:

heroin addicts have a physiological dependence on and severe withdrawal from heroin.

Nobody is addicted to cake and pie. People can just put down the fork, and telling each individual person to do that is better than telling them they are beautfiul and running in circles trying to blame wages and hours of sleep for why someone doesn't just stop shoving fistfuls of food in their loving mouth

ArbitraryC posted:

So many people are failing at it now due to advances in lovely food technology, making it easier for people with less and less willpower to get fat. Combined with a sedentary lifestyle (internet/gaming/entertainment) which has eliminated the forced movement anyone in less advanced times had to do to accomplish tasks.

That and since the green revolution the world's population has doubled, meaning there are more people to get fat to be more visible.

We probably always had this lovely willpower and lazyness, it just was never this easy to get fat in the entirety of human history so rather than do any kind of work at all people will just cry about food deserts, their free time, their sleep, their mentality, societies view of them, whatever else.

quote:

Yeah as an individual the only thing you really can do is watch what you eat and try to get more exercise but screaming this over and over again until your blue in the face is obviously not doing poo poo about the problem on a wide scale

That's the only thing people can actually do, and even this isn't happening as much as it should due to body positivity, fat acceptance and all that garbage that enables people to drag the entire species down due to being overinflated bags of concentrated calories because apparently everyone but them is stuffing fistfuls of food in their mouths.

Being fat is luckily one of the ailments of your life, and society, that can simply just be changed. Just stop loving eating so much. Stop it.

We will always shake our fists and shout to the skies about poverty, world hunger, disease, inequality and whatever other societal issues exist. But being a fat rear end is entirely curable.

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 16, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

despite having fast food and long hours and all the bullshit we have the japanese aren't fat because they're more collectivist so when the rest of society tells them to stop being lard asses they stop being lard asses instead of screaming "I eat what I want" and shoving another fried pie in their face.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fat Shat Sings posted:

heroin addicts have a physiological dependence on and severe withdrawal from heroin.

Nobody is addicted to cake and pie. People can just put down the fork, and telling each individual person to do that is better than telling them they are beautfiul and running in circles trying to blame wages and hours of sleep for why someone doesn't just stop shoving fistfuls of food in their loving mouth

So many people are failing at it now due to advances in lovely food technology, making it easier for people with less and less willpower to get fat. Combined with a sedentary lifestyle (internet/gaming/entertainment) which has eliminated the forced movement anyone in less advanced times had to do to accomplish tasks.

That and since the green revolution the world's population has doubled, meaning there are more people to get fat to be more visible.

We probably always had this lovely willpower and lazyness, it just was never this easy to get fat in the entirety of human history so rather than do any kind of work at all people will just cry about food deserts, their free time, their sleep, their mentality, societies view of them, whatever else.

That's the only thing people can actually do, and even this isn't happening as much as it should due to body positivity, fat acceptance and all that garbage that enables people to drag the entire species down due to being overinflated bags of concentrated calories because apparently everyone but them is stuffing fistfuls of food in their mouths.

Being fat is luckily one of the ailments of your life, and society, that can simply just be changed. Just stop loving eating so much. Stop it.

We will always shake our fists and shout to the skies about poverty, world hunger, disease, inequality and whatever other societal issues exist. But being a fat rear end is entirely curable.

Exercise is free man

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Germstore posted:

despite having fast food and long hours and all the bullshit we have the japanese aren't fat because they're more collectivist so when the rest of society tells them to stop being lard asses they stop being lard asses instead of screaming "I eat what I want" and shoving another fried pie in their face.

They're getting there. Many other countries are, see Britain and Mexico.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Germstore posted:

Tempura will catch up on you. Lol a fatty having sushi

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Panfilo posted:

They're getting there. Many other countries are, see Britain and Mexico.

No they aren't. They reversed course. They're obesity crisis is literally over. Britain is very culturally similar to the US and I assume Mexico learned it from watching us (and their soda is better).

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Germstore posted:

No they aren't. They reversed course. They're obesity crisis is literally over. Britain is very culturally similar to the US and I assume Mexico learned it from watching us (and their soda is better).

What? I thought Mexico was really fat now.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Darth123123 posted:

What? I thought Mexico was really fat now.

Japan reversed course.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Simstim posted:

People eat more processed food which uses lots of salt and sugar as preservatives to prolong shelf life and as a taste carpet bomb for your tongue to overload the taste of chemicals, so processed food is overly salty or sweet.

capitalism in a nut shell

yeah I know, junk food is literally manufactured with the design in mind of being able to eat as much as possible.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I disagree that it's the only thing we can do, we can put more effort into regulating the food industry (probably through a variety of taxes that either make healthier options more appealing to producers or unhealthy options less appealing to consumers), we can put more effort into educating our kids (honestly the number of people I've known in my 20's that could do anything in a kitchen more complicated than heating prepackaged food is abyssmal), and change the way we handle modern labor in light of our industrial productivity and the lack of physical activity involved in many common occupations.

Social and industrial changes made it easier for people to be fat so they're gonna be more fat, social and industrial changes can make it easier for people to be more fit and they'll be fit. People haven't changed, their environment has, and expecting a bootstraps personal responsibility approach to solve any society wide issue is honestly just plain ignorant because that literally never works.

So yeah if you personally want to lose weight eat better stuff, eat less calories, and as a bonus move your body more and you'll for sure have success. But just stubbornly crossing your arms and going "if only literally everyone was a rational actor with the same priorities as me we'd solve this situation in no time" is simply never going to pan out for any problem you can think of.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Germstore posted:

Plus smaller portions, city designs that encourages walking and bicycling, and a MUCH stronger food culture of cooking at home and using fresh ingredients

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Guy Goodbody posted:

Plus smaller portions, city designs that encourages walking and bicycling, and a MUCH stronger food culture of cooking at home and using fresh ingredients

This sounds like your saying fats are glutinous and lazy.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I don't think individualism is bad, but maybe when you don't wear helmet on a motorcycle or chug a 64 oz soda despite knowing you shouldn't, you should think about whether you're doing this because you think its the best decision or just to be ornery.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

ArbitraryC posted:

I disagree that it's the only thing we can do, we can put more effort into regulating the food industry (probably through a variety of taxes that either make healthier options more appealing to producers or unhealthy options less appealing to consumers), we can put more effort into educating our kids (honestly the number of people I've known in my 20's that could do anything in a kitchen more complicated than heating prepackaged food is abyssmal), and change the way we handle modern labor in light of our industrial productivity and the lack of physical activity involved in many common occupations.

Social and industrial changes made it easier for people to be fat so they're gonna be more fat, social and industrial changes can make it easier for people to be more fit and they'll be fit. People haven't changed, their environment has, and expecting a bootstraps personal responsibility approach to solve any society wide issue is honestly just plain ignorant because that literally never works.

We aren't exactly disagreeing. I'm just extremely pessimistic and you are optimistic.

I don't see those societal / industry changes as things that are going to happen anytime soon, especially with fat acceptance and safe spaces growing along with the number of fat people. I agree that those things are the only true effective way to actually solve societal issues.

Also being fat isn't like being poor, or being disadvantaged from birth, or any other societal issue you say bootstraps does not solve. You actually can bootstrap your way out of not being fat. This isn't like the idiocy of telling people to work more to become rich. This is literally down to your body and what you chose to put in it.

Protecting fat people from criticism doesn't solve anything. And pretending like telling people they shouldn't be fat is a waste of time because you really need society as a whole to make changes is ignoring that a person in a completely preventable situation can prevent that situation, and that telling them that is a valid recourse.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth123123 posted:

This sounds like your saying fats are glutinous and lazy.

Don't get me wrong, personal responsibility is a huge factor and obese people who blame their size on outside factors are dummies. But there's a reason Japan never got as fat as America or Australia in the first place

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Going to pop on over to the store to get a delicious frozen coke. Only 75 cents for 52 oz. Its a great way to cool down and relax after a long hard day. Its nice not having to count calories. You know what they say, treat yo self :)

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Carmant posted:

Going to pop on over to the store to get a delicious frozen coke. Only 75 cents for 52 oz. Its a great way to cool down and relax after a long hard day. Its nice not having to count calories. You know what they say, treat yo self :)

Stop. This is for us now. You've ran your course. Unless you post a pic of your fat blubber belly. Which won't happen bc ur fat and embarrassed. Shamed you might say.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Darth123123 posted:

Stop. This is for us now. You've ran your course. Unless you post a pic of your fat blubber belly. Which won't happen bc ur fat and embarrassed. Shamed you might say.

Why would i be ashamed of having a delicious frozen treat, its great.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Carmant posted:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

If you're gonna drink calories it might as well be beer- or wine the french aren't fat.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Guy Goodbody posted:

the problem is since the commodities market has been deregulated there has been price inflation in common goods, peoples' grocery bills keep going up but their wages remain flat. and wage growth hasn't matched inflation in like the last 40 years. most of the productivity gains in the last 25 years has gone to the top 1%. peoples' incomes have stagnated and americans have been funding their costs of living through debt, and as a result we keep getting these debt bubbles. for that to change, economic policy has to change.

with shrinking real incomes people buy the cheapest food they can get, which typically means food that uses mass production methods. there is also a cultural element to all this, constant advertising encourages people to buy junk food, it is a form of thought control. people also no longer know how to cook, those skills have been lost and they aren't taught to younger generations, people have become dependant on processed food to survive.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Also being fat isn't like being poor, or being disadvantaged from birth, or any other societal issue you say bootstraps does not solve. You actually can bootstrap your way out of not being fat. This isn't like the idiocy of telling people to work more to become rich. This is literally down to your body and what you chose to put in it.
Right but you could if you wanted to bootstraps your way to being amazing at any sort of hobbies or trades, it's just not something your average person is ever going to have the willpower or motivation to do. Work harder/smarter is honestly the solution to a lot of life's problems but the human brain is seldom cooperative with those kinds of efforts, telling people to eat less and move more is just trying to push obesity up a hill over and over again only to have it come tumbling down on you every time.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

We aren't exactly disagreeing. I'm just extremely pessimistic and you are optimistic.

I don't see those societal / industry changes as things that are going to happen anytime soon, especially with fat acceptance and safe spaces growing along with the number of fat people. I agree that those things are the only true effective way to actually solve societal issues.
Yeah that's chill I think those movements are dumb too and am also doubtful of any legit progress in this area (considering the kind of backlash we get from poo poo as simple as the first lady advocating children eat better). I just felt like you two were kind of talking past each other, when people mention environmental factors that contributed to the obesity epidemic I don't really think they're intended to be excuses or implications that it's impossible for some people to just eat less (as that's ridiculous) but more acknowledgement that something like "eat less, move more" is simplifying a broad problem too much to the point where it's basically an empty platitude.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fat shaming is correct, as proved by morally superior children in schoolyards everywhere

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Fats don't like empty platitudes or plates.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Germstore posted:

Japan had a comparatively smaller obesity problem to begin with , so fixing it is obviously going to be easier. They're also a culture of conformity, which makes it easier to get people to do things. There's less of a reliance on cars so people walk much more in general.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's a magazine for fat women fashion in Japan called La Farfa

edit: here's a link to their Instagram if you want pictures of overweight Japanese women

https://www.instagram.com/lafarfa.official/

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Panfilo posted:

Japan had a comparatively smaller obesity problem to begin with , so fixing it is obviously going to be easier. They're also a culture of conformity, which makes it easier to get people to do things. There's less of a reliance on cars so people walk much more in general.

https://mic.com/articles/84521/japan-has-cut-obesity-to-3-5-in-a-controversial-way-that-wouldn-t-fly-in-america#.r0zEi8dnc

Tho honestly I think it'd be pretty funny to try this in the us.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

ArbitraryC posted:

Right but you could if you wanted to bootstraps your way to being amazing at any sort of hobbies or trades, it's just not something your average person is ever going to have the willpower or motivation to do. Work harder/smarter is honestly the solution to a lot of life's problems but the human brain is seldom cooperative with those kinds of efforts, telling people to eat less and move more is just trying to push obesity up a hill over and over again only to have it come tumbling down on you every time.

The problem with that though is that you don't have to perform any of those hobbies on a daily basis to live. If you don't play a guitar right for a specific period of time you aren't going to die from a lack of vital nutrients. So there is an excuse to just not bother with any typical thing that you could potentially totally be great at with practice. It's just not really that important to maintain or practice habits like that, which is why people fail at them.

Eating and drinking is part of existing as an organism. It's kind of different if you are just not bothering to give a poo poo about the proper way to live instead of not giving a poo poo if you get better at a task by repetition or hard work.

And in addition to that it's actually quite a bit of work to stay fat in the first place

Fat people just like the work better since it involves going out of your way to not move around and ignore calories, ignore health problems, ignore illness, ignore pains, ignore all of the bodys warning signs to smash food into their mouth

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Guy Goodbody posted:

There's a magazine for fat women fashion in Japan called La Farfa

edit: here's a link to their Instagram if you want pictures of overweight Japanese women

https://www.instagram.com/lafarfa.official/

Those women look beautiful and happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Carmant posted:

Those women look beautiful and happy

• Locked thread