Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Body-Shocking 3D Horror Shooting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Experience 5 new kinds of fear!!!!!!!!!!!!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
That looks like it'd be fun to give a go with a friend a few times. The 3D looks like it'd be cool in this case, but I wear glasses and that's a huge pain in the rear end.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
also I don't want Dave and buster's pizza goo all over my face

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I played it twice. It's generally easy to predict an incoming jump scare, since the game likes to go quiet right before one occurs.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Finally, horror games can be relevant again

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1167626179962411&id=139185632806476

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bogart posted:

Body-Shocking 3D Horror Shooting

Who shocks the body that rocks the party

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So Inside was creepy and off putting, but Little Nightmares looks downright horrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9tdVR7HaIw

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Has anyone heard from Routine lately? I remember that that game was supposedly coming out sometime.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Skyscraper posted:

Has anyone heard from Routine lately? I remember that that game was supposedly coming out sometime.

According to Twitter they're still working on it.
https://mobile.twitter.com/lunarsoftware

Frankly I'm not really hopeful at this point. I want it to come out and be good though.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Improbable Lobster posted:

According to Twitter they're still working on it.
https://mobile.twitter.com/lunarsoftware

Frankly I'm not really hopeful at this point. I want it to come out and be good though.

Yeah, I've seen that Twitter but I haven't seen it indicate progress, just "I'm working" and "I make the games"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Resident Evil 7 demo is getting an update tomorrow. It's still the same location that's not in the final game but there'll be more to explore or something.

Still kind of excited for the game but I hope there's a real demo before the final release.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

After Soma and alien isolation,its hard to be excited for routine.

And we're getting a proper system shock 1 reboot. I mean I love the design of routine but when it was first announced, nothing was similar to it.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

Ineffiable posted:

After Soma and alien isolation,its hard to be excited for routine.

And we're getting a proper system shock 1 reboot. I mean I love the design of routine but when it was first announced, nothing was similar to it.

Yeah that's kinda the tragic part of the whole thing. The triple A world kinda came and ate their lunch already. Even with the retro 70's vision of the future aesthetic, which is baffling to me that they would be beaten to it. (Though by the franchise that inspired the look to begin with, to be fair)

Still, as a 4-year developer myself I gotta root for them that when they release they'll still be relevant. Isn't it just like 3 guys taking on what essentially looks like a polished triple A style product? Can be hard to blame em sometimes for the wait. Though they really need to get a hold on their quiet developer shtick. At least show off a muddy texture or something once in a while, guys.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I know they're both pretty meh but is either the PS3 or 360 version of the Silent Hill Collection noticeably better?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sakurazuka posted:

I know they're both pretty meh but is either the PS3 or 360 version of the Silent Hill Collection noticeably better?

Are you asking which console has the better version or if it is worth playing at all? If it's the second, they changed some things that make it a lot less spooky but you can actually read some background textures if you really want to now. If you don't have access to the games in their original form then it's a passable replacement.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No, I know it's not great in general I was wondering if it ran better on one or the other though.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Sakurazuka posted:

iirc the ps3 version is better because konami pushed patches through on it, but not on the 360

i did not own a 360 so i don't know if thats true or not

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah that figures MS was weird about patches on the 360, thanks.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You actually had to pay Microsoft to release patches.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Bert of the Forest posted:

Yeah that's kinda the tragic part of the whole thing. The triple A world kinda came and ate their lunch already. Even with the retro 70's vision of the future aesthetic, which is baffling to me that they would be beaten to it. (Though by the franchise that inspired the look to begin with, to be fair)

Still, as a 4-year developer myself I gotta root for them that when they release they'll still be relevant. Isn't it just like 3 guys taking on what essentially looks like a polished triple A style product? Can be hard to blame em sometimes for the wait. Though they really need to get a hold on their quiet developer shtick. At least show off a muddy texture or something once in a while, guys.

For me, Isolation and Soma kind of scratched an itch i didn't realise was there before? The only thing filling that niche before was Dead Space, and that ended up as a shooter with the occasional jump scare, rather than something that mixed exploration with an abiding sense of dread.
When Routine was announced it sounded great, harking back to System Shock, it was on my must buy list - but it's taken so long that it's been overtaken by other releases. I still have hope that they'll release it and it'll be a good game, but it's been so long without meaningful updates, it's not looking good.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Got an urge to replay the Five Nights games again. Can't think why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuCVvFk7O3E

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I kinda preferred it when the games were implying the murder robots weren't being driven by murdered kids and just going on wonky programming, that being said the Mascot in the 3rd game has to be the best design in the whole series. And I love how it's literally got the corpse of the Killer inside it

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
The robots being inhabited by the souls of dead children was a thing from the first game though. It didn't take long for people to piece together the story from various newspaper clippings and other things spread through the game. I liked that people really had to sniff that out though.

Also Foxy is only checking on you, man. It's not his fault you have a bad heart.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm glad Scott ended up deciding to make another Five Nights game, also I really like that his reasoning was basically "Yeah I changed my mind because they're fun to make" :unsmith:

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
The guy really has a passion for making games. I've tried playing some of his older games. Boy, they are terrible, but he's one of the ones that managed to turn his hobby into his livelihood, so good on him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kokoro Wish posted:

The robots being inhabited by the souls of dead children was a thing from the first game though. It didn't take long for people to piece together the story from various newspaper clippings and other things spread through the game. I liked that people really had to sniff that out though.

Also Foxy is only checking on you, man. It's not his fault you have a bad heart.

that doesn't really change the fact that malfunctioning robots is better.

Danaru posted:

I'm glad Scott ended up deciding to make another Five Nights game, also I really like that his reasoning was basically "Yeah I changed my mind because they're fun to make" :unsmith:

i have the feeling it's more "they print money". i can't think of a greater return on effort in game making besides minecraft.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

SirDrone posted:

I kinda preferred it when the games were implying the murder robots weren't being driven by murdered kids and just going on wonky programming, that being said the Mascot in the 3rd game has to be the best design in the whole series. And I love how it's literally got the corpse of the Killer inside it

I agree that Springtrap was the best.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
On the other hand,

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 20, 2016

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

ravenkult posted:

What are some ''good'' games to watch an LP of in the vein of Phantasmagoria, Harvester, etc? This is the kind of stuff I read about in gaming magazines as a teen but they never brought to the poo poo town I lived in. I only ever played Gabriel Knight and that one wasn't all that good. So I'm talking edgy FMV horror games.

Its not really horror but I just finished supergreatfriend's LP of Realms of the Haunting and it was very entertaining.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I still don't understand how people were able to piece all these FNAF things together from tiny background details on the monitors. I was having a hard enough time even keeping my eyes open let alone searching all over the screens

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just wanted to know what the deal with the chest was. The fact that he originally intended to end the series there without showing wtf was with the chest is some dumb bullshit

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Kokoro Wish posted:

The guy really has a passion for making games. I've tried playing some of his older games. Boy, they are terrible, but he's one of the ones that managed to turn his hobby into his livelihood, so good on him.

He made a space Metroidvania that's 1) free and 2) pretty good, so dude's in my good books just for that.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

FirstAidKite posted:

I just wanted to know what the deal with the chest was. The fact that he originally intended to end the series there without showing wtf was with the chest is some dumb bullshit

I thought supposedly no one ever figured it out, or it linked through FNaF World and into Sister Location somehow?

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Checked the last couple of pages and didn't see anything. Has anybody heard anything about this augmented reality mobile game, Night Terrors? My friend is looking forward to it. Trailer looked interesting, at least.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

resting bort face posted:

Checked the last couple of pages and didn't see anything. Has anybody heard anything about this augmented reality mobile game, Night Terrors? My friend is looking forward to it. Trailer looked interesting, at least.

It's a cool idea, but with how augmented reality always ends up looking kinda goofy, I can't imagine it'll be scary. If it can really make it look like pictures and stuff are falling off of your walls that'd be pretty cool, though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Kokoro Wish posted:

On the other hand,

I'm not even a fan of the series and I have to admit that some of the merch is cute as hell.

FirstAidKite posted:

What was the reasoning for that again? Didn't he say something like 'no, you've all failed to work out what the story was all about, so I'm keeping it locked forever' and pulled the plug on the patch that was supposed to answer everything forever?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

What was the reasoning for that again? Didn't he say something like 'no, you've all failed to work out what the story was all about, so I'm keeping it locked forever' and pulled the plug on the patch that was supposed to answer everything forever?

I didn't hear anything about that. I just know that if you try to open the case, it says something about how some things should remain locked up, and then FNAF World was gonna be the last game but I guess it was a true spinoff that didn't have anything to do with 4 and he never went and did anything with the locked case that the game's ending makes a big fuss about.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Year of the Ladybug has a pitch trailer which includes some new, intensely stupid monster concepts drawn gorgeously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdSjAwlf0Qo

A punchline for me is: "We wanted to bring something positive to the horror game industry," followed by this image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

so the monster is /r/mgtow?