Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Karloff posted:

Even though the film was terrible, Batman's suit in BvS was by far the single greatest Batman suit in any of the films (same with his voice), by a fairly significant margin. Mainly because he looked like he could move in it.

Bale's second suit looked far more mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Timby posted:

Bale's second suit looked far more mobile.

yeah BvS Batman never really stopped looking like the Michelin Man to me.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah BvS Batman never really stopped looking like the Michelin Man to me.

It had the same problem that the Burton / Schumacher and the first Nolan suits did -- dude couldn't turn his neck without shifting his entire upper body.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Timby posted:

It had the same problem that the Burton / Schumacher and the first Nolan suits did -- dude couldn't turn his neck without shifting his entire upper body.

What? No. The DCEU Batsuit allows head movement just fine. http://batman-news.com/2015/04/01/it-takes-three-people-to-put-ben-affleck-in-the-batsuit-but-he-can-turn-his-head/

https://zippy.gfycat.com/CelebratedNiftyAssassinbug.webm

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

teagone posted:

What? No. The DCEU Batsuit allows head movement just fine.

Agreed, check out when that beardy dude comes in with a grenade in the Martha rescue scene, dude can turn his head fine.

The Dark Knight/Rises suit was mobile enough sure, but it was less aesthetically cool than the BvS suit or even the Begins suit, the separated helmet piece always kind of made Batman look a bit more diminutive and less threatening then the broad shouldered look in BvS and Begins.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
For what it's worth they accomplished a lot of the fight scenes in BvS by CGI'ing Affleck's arms in after the fact, so it's not that much more mobile than the old ones.

I think the shots of Batfleck with his cowl off after the Batmobile gets trashed in BvS is my favorite design of the character yet. I'm still not sold on how short the cowl's ears are.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The suit in BvS reminded me of this little infographic. DCEU Bruce is totally a bruiser/strongman.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I just have never liked the black grease paint around the eyes. I would like to see maybe a screen-test of subtle cgi eyes on Batman, not bright white, maybe a light off-white, minor animations. Maybe not a whole movie, though.

That Alien vs Predator vs Batman fanfilm from 2003 did something like this with contact lenses:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drifter posted:

Clark's got a girlfriend, Bruce should have one too. :colbert:

He had one. His name was Robin and he's dead now. :getin:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

teagone posted:

You can't expect Bruce to use his everyday beater against parademons. He's gotta break out the fancy poo poo for such a special occasion.

Alfred, where's the duster?!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

Alfred, where's the duster?!

and with those sunglasses, you can't even tell how scared he is

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

My entire state of consciousness has been preoccupied with how to create a gritty live action Freakazoid for the past 48 hours. all spare mental resources get devoted to this task. Like maybe he gets infected by all social media so he's like a tumblr hitler social justice 9/11 parody video loving guy. Basically the embodiment of that prodromal schizophrenia post from fyad, but with a heart of gold. But how do you make that palatable to the mainstream? Or do you Deadpool it, and let some youtube guy go nuts with 50 mil? No because DC would ever allow an entire film to be made without the fingerprints of middle management all over it.

Ohhhhhhh drat so he's cruising the """""dark web"""" searching out the dankest memes that havent caught on w/the mainstream internet yet, trump pepes back in 2014, new spurdos. But Zod takes over every screen on Earth doing his big speech when he calls out Kal El, and The guy gets caught in the deep cyber and transformed into Freakazoid. So the movie can start with a big white title screen:

9/11 x 1000 - THE WORLD IS INTRODUCED TO THE FREAKAZOID since it all takes place during the Metropolis destruction.

Just trying to nail down any sort of tone at all is an exercise in frustration. Mentally draining. I will figure it out though.

They already did this it's called Dark Horse's The Mask.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I was thinking the same thing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Mask is a good example where I really like both the comic and the movie even though they're completely different (The Losers is another one). That first comic miniseries still holds up as being pretty shocking. Doug Mankhe's art is spectacular.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Before he started making all his comics look like horror comics, I really loved Doug Mankhe's style.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah I don't much care for his superhero stuff but his Dark Horse stuff is great. And Hitman Vs. Lobo holds a real warm place in my heart as one of my first favorite comics.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Mask is a good example where I really like both the comic and the movie even though they're completely different (The Losers is another one). That first comic miniseries still holds up as being pretty shocking. Doug Mankhe's art is spectacular.

The Losers was great and translated really well to screen, unlike Red.

Another really good one is History of Violence. I didn't realize until after I saw it that it was based on a John Wagner/Vince Locke comic. I would have never associated the artist from Deadworld with an artsy David Cronenberg movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Margot Robbie just signed a deal with WB to produce and star in a couple of movies, including a Harley Quinn Spin-off movie.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

WB want her face all over merchandise. SS probably paid for itself through comic book stores + hot topic.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wonder what non DC projects she's going to make.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ruddiger posted:

The Losers was great and translated really well to screen, unlike Red.

You take that back. Red was not a great movie, but it sure was an entertaining movie.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just couldn't get into the Losers at all. It leaned hard on its gallery of lovable rogues but I didn't like any of the characters.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Renoistic posted:

I just couldn't get into the Losers at all. It leaned hard on its gallery of lovable rogues but I didn't like any of the characters.

It gets a boost from Chris Evans being Christ Evans.

Edit: Johnny Storm died so that Captain America could save us all

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Marvel put out a Dr. Strange featurette with some new footage in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZuLmJZfDA0

Also, a new full length trailer is going to drop before the end of the month.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Finally a comic book movie that goes crazy with the visuals.

Now we need the Doom Patrol.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

well why not posted:

WB want her face all over merchandise. SS probably paid for itself through comic book stores + hot topic.

They main Suicide Squad toyline has 3 Harley figures. I think even Joker only has two.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Finally a comic book movie that goes crazy with the visuals.

Now we need the Doom Patrol.

Yeah, I hope this is just a little taste. I liked the micro-world imagery in Ant-Man, wasn't expecting that - here's hoping for stuff way beyond the kaleidoscope cities.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They should have gotten Jodorowsky for Doctor Strange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqbJHbP61PY

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Electromax posted:

Yeah, I hope this is just a little taste. I liked the micro-world imagery in Ant-Man, wasn't expecting that - here's hoping for stuff way beyond the kaleidoscope cities.

Magic is so behind the times, Iron Man 2 had that lovely electro whip technology way back in the day.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I don't know if this has been posted already, but this guy made a pretty good response to that Every Frame a Painting video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcXsH88XlKM

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
It's a pretty neat video but, like the one it's responding to, it's extremely bad at actually offering a justification for the core claim around hummability or whatever. Zhou said you can't hum Marvel cues because they're too close to temp music... and as this video points out, that's bunk because iconic pieces like Star Wars were very similar to temp music. This fella says you can't hum Marvel cues because they're too indebted to Hans Zimmer's style... but I can hum a half dozen Hans Zimmer tunes

I feel like we're getting a little closer to an answer, to the extent to which it's even a question worth focusing on... but it's probably gonna take at least two more response videos

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Jenny Angel posted:

This fella says you can't hum Marvel cues because they're too indebted to Hans Zimmer's style... but I can hum a half dozen Hans Zimmer tunes

I can't imagine the argument is that Zimmer's scores aren't memorable. That's ridiculous. Just in the space of superhero films, he's composed some of the best in recent memory. Man of Steel's score is great. And the Wonder Woman action theme is loving legit...assuming that wasn't mostly Junkie XL.

It's clearly a more systemic thing, though. Marvel tapped Danny Elfman for Avengers 2, and it didn't change anything. If the dude who composed Burton Batman and Raimi Spider-Man can't elevate your superhero movie score, poo poo's hosed.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jenny Angel posted:

It's a pretty neat video but, like the one it's responding to, it's extremely bad at actually offering a justification for the core claim around hummability or whatever. Zhou said you can't hum Marvel cues because they're too close to temp music... and as this video points out, that's bunk because iconic pieces like Star Wars were very similar to temp music. This fella says you can't hum Marvel cues because they're too indebted to Hans Zimmer's style... but I can hum a half dozen Hans Zimmer tunes

I feel like we're getting a little closer to an answer, to the extent to which it's even a question worth focusing on... but it's probably gonna take at least two more response videos

Zhou really just messed up by putting so much emphasis on 'hummability' in the intro to his video, when he's actually making a bunch of smaller distinct criticisms. With the Marvel films, he's criticizing the overreliance on (expository) dialogue, music that's included 'for the sake of it' (meaning also an ineffective use of silence), and prominent cues that fail to augment the imagery they're accompanying.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 16, 2016

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Xealot posted:

I can't imagine the argument is that Zimmer's scores aren't memorable. That's ridiculous. Just in the space of superhero films, he's composed some of the best in recent memory. Man of Steel's score is great. And the Wonder Woman action theme is loving legit...assuming that wasn't mostly Junkie XL.

It's clearly a more systemic thing, though. Marvel tapped Danny Elfman for Avengers 2, and it didn't change anything. If the dude who composed Burton Batman and Raimi Spider-Man can't elevate your superhero movie score, poo poo's hosed.

I like Danny Elfman but uhhh, the man has his fair share of non-bangers

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The best thing Danny Elfman ever composed was either Only a Lad or Dead Man's Party, which is still loving great, but far outstrips his cinematic contributions.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jenny Angel posted:

I know I have just posted this thing like 3 times in other threads, but I think boils down to this;

Most people on this planet don't care about film scores. They generally don't listen to it outside of the film, and if you asked them to hum a part of it, they would ask "What music?"

The only reason they know Star Wars is that poo poo played constantly through the film series, and has been a part of pop culture for about 40 years now. Same with Jurassic Park or Indiana Jones.

No one is playing The Avengers theme for random poo poo. You don't see the toy ads blasting Silvestri's theme song. The only place that theme exists is in the films. It isn't given the outside exposure as other popular themes were/are. And you can argue it's a bland theme, but I mean so is Pirates and many people can hum that no problem.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
-https://twitter.com/dave_thomason/status/776490382746013700?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't get it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

CelticPredator posted:

I know I have just posted this thing like 3 times in other threads, but I think boils down to this;

Most people on this planet don't care about film scores. They generally don't listen to it outside of the film, and if you asked them to hum a part of it, they would ask "What music?"

The only reason they know Star Wars is that poo poo played constantly through the film series, and has been a part of pop culture for about 40 years now. Same with Jurassic Park or Indiana Jones.

No one is playing The Avengers theme for random poo poo. You don't see the toy ads blasting Silvestri's theme song. The only place that theme exists is in the films. It isn't given the outside exposure as other popular themes were/are. And you can argue it's a bland theme, but I mean so is Pirates and many people can hum that no problem.

I agree with this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I would counter with "sheer repetition isn't the way to make a song catchy" but then I wouldn't be able to explain Katy Perry's career

• Locked thread