Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

atomicthumbs posted:

does anyone at google actually care
you know the answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Progressive JPEG posted:

i think hangouts in general is busted. my jeorb uses hangouts4work or whatever and it needs 100x retries to connect to anything

i started going through it with developer tools and it started working again so i'm changing by opinion from "prick" to "busted". it looks like google's web response to the extension was sending it a js file that ended too soon and it was spitting out syntax errors every time it tried to connect

edit: yep the script from that url I loaded two minutes ago just ended on line 59 after "return b" and the new one is 524 lines long instead of 59.

i'm glad they fixed it i guess but if it ever stops working for real i'm switching to yakyak, or another messaging service entirely

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 14, 2016

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

does anyone at google actually care what the customers think of the product?

no.

it's a shitshow.

e: tmi, i like being employed

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

doesnt some poor soul here work on the hangouts mess and even had a hand in naming it "hangouts" ? lol

hey hangouts guy, take a look at messenger.com and make something similar and maybe i'll consider going back to it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Last Chance posted:

doesnt some poor soul here work on the hangouts mess and even had a hand in naming it "hangouts" ? lol

hey hangouts guy, take a look at messenger.com and make something similar and maybe i'll consider going back to it
its called hangouts because using it for any length of time makes you think about tying a noose

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

the card that makes it easier to get on an airplane
the phone that makes it easier to get off an airplane

:tinfoil:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Last Chance posted:

i sorta feel bad about trashing the new hangouts because i'm sure he and others worked hard on it. but christ

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
don't worry as you can imagine ppl are working on the next new thing :shobon:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

can you run an official yospos name the next google messaging app contest?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
pretty funny to intentionally refuse to update a client and be surprised when they don't bother fixing bugs for you, imo

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
pidgin is still running strong for me

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
hangouts has the best emojis and that's good enough for me

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

don't worry as you can imagine ppl are working on the next new thing :shobon:

yes this is how social networks get an established presence

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Hangouts working on my machine UBUNTU GNOME Chrome

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Google's internal tooling and engineering seems honestly pretty gooddamn amazing.

Compare goog's infrastructure to a typical small dumbshit operation that has uhh a php website talking to mysql and the source code is managed in subversion, badly, and the bug tracker is an excel spreadsheet on Dropbox or whatever. It's like comparing stone axes to a workshop full of cnc tooling.

Like yeah these two sets of tools are both obviously mills and lathes and stuff but the difference in power and precision is astounding.

Google has the ability to be a terrifyingly powerful force.

They're just run by a bunch of manchildren who promote half baked projects because the pm is a hot nerd lady and they wanna get their dick wet

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Mr Dog posted:

Google's internal tooling and engineering seems honestly pretty gooddamn amazing.

Compare goog's infrastructure to a typical small dumbshit operation that has uhh a php website talking to mysql and the source code is managed in subversion, badly, and the bug tracker is an excel spreadsheet on Dropbox or whatever. It's like comparing stone axes to a workshop full of cnc tooling.

Like yeah these two sets of tools are both obviously mills and lathes and stuff but the difference in power and precision is astounding.

They're just run by a bunch of manchildren who promote half baked projects because the pm is a hot nerd lady and they wanna get their dick wet
a tale as old as time

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

fishmech posted:

pretty funny to intentionally refuse to update a client and be surprised when they don't bother fixing bugs for you, imo

They fixed the bug for me (and probably everyone else using a web client). I had assumed they were intentionally breaking old versions since I know the alert said something about a date but I couldn't remember what it was.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

:mome:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

hobbesmaster posted:

can you run an official yospos name the next google messaging app contest?

google++

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

I'm sure the 4 or 5 people using goog 4 work are real upset.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

fishmech posted:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

They fixed the bug for me (and probably everyone else using a web client). I had assumed they were intentionally breaking old versions since I know the alert said something about a date but I couldn't remember what it was.

oct 16

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

poty posted:

google++

you forgot the semicolon. won't compile

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

Actually it's already halfway in the toilet

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Sagebrush posted:

its go

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
please don't send explosives through the mail, thx

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
wait so people are just supposed to turn off their phones and they get no replacement?

lol

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

google would get a better ROI if they plowed all that advertising money into index funds instead of stupid comic book tech projects

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

wait so people are just supposed to turn off their phones and they get no replacement?

lol

Android users are trash and have nothing going on in their lives, they won't notice.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Chome updated to 53. Supposed to have ~improved power consumption~. It'd be nice.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Microsoft's latest Edge vs Chrome videos record an improvement from 70% worse to 11%, Google have yet to respond.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

Chome updated to 53. Supposed to have ~improved power consumption~. It'd be nice.

they improved its ability to consume power, it will now drain your battery more efficiently

Sinjang
May 29, 2013

Last Chance posted:

i tried and i couldn't think of a more losery microsofty sounding name than hangouts

didn't google watch the ted talk where they said give your apps quirky pun names ending with r

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

dude this chat app is a loving abortion what should we call it

Sinjang
May 29, 2013

MrMoo posted:

Microsoft's latest Edge vs Chrome videos record an improvement from 70% worse to 11%, Google have yet to respond.

credit where it's due, my surfer pro 3 runs cool on chrome now whereas a month ago it sculled the full battery in 90 minutes

still didn't use a browser called edge

ufarn
May 30, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

apple should have advertised that the message app ages you ten years when you use it

i still haven't figured stickers out

Sinjang
May 29, 2013
the name hangouts was decided by a committee of dads

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

flakeloaf posted:

coathangr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sinjang posted:

i tried and i couldn't think of a more losery microsofty sounding name than hangouts

Microsoft Let'sChill

• Locked thread