Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This is pretty adorable
http://io9.gizmodo.com/leslie-jones-discovered-black-panther-last-night-and-it-1786678875

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Marvel put out a Dr. Strange featurette with some new footage in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZuLmJZfDA0

Also, a new full length trailer is going to drop before the end of the month.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lobok posted:

Is Godzilla the only instance in popular fiction where multiple timelines all diverge from a common chapter of the story? Godzilla's mix of timelines shouldn't be confusing to anyone in BSS who is used to DC's reboots or Marvel's mix of 616 and Ultimate but even beyond comics I'm trying to think of stories that are reboots or remakes that still all use one story in the chain as the beginning.

I think the Terminator counts, since everything (except Genesys...maybe?) explicitly starts from the original movie (and usually the first two).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

Is Godzilla the only instance in popular fiction where multiple timelines all diverge from a common chapter of the story? Godzilla's mix of timelines shouldn't be confusing to anyone in BSS who is used to DC's reboots or Marvel's mix of 616 and Ultimate but even beyond comics I'm trying to think of stories that are reboots or remakes that still all use one story in the chain as the beginning.

Highlander. :v:

Lurdiak posted:

American Godzillas

I hope this is the long-awaited sequel Neil Gaiman says he's working on.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I thought I'd seen a lot of Godzilla movies, but it turns out I've only seen a quarter of them. The original, vs King Kong, the two American ones, Mothra, MechaGodzilla, three headed dragon guy and the crocodile/ankylosaur dude.

I also had no idea the bad guys had their own movies before hand. Travis, since you seem pretty knowledgeable could you add the pre-Godzilla movies, too?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If you want something a bit more cutting edge, there's always Gamera vs Guiron.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Heathen posted:

I thought I'd seen a lot of Godzilla movies, but it turns out I've only seen a quarter of them. The original, vs King Kong, the two American ones, Mothra, MechaGodzilla, three headed dragon guy and the crocodile/ankylosaur dude.

I also had no idea the bad guys had their own movies before hand. Travis, since you seem pretty knowledgeable could you add the pre-Godzilla movies, too?
Well all of them came out after the original Godzilla but as far as monsters who had their own movies before joining the Godzillaverse, you've got Rodan and Mothra's solo films, Gorosaurus in King Kong Escapes, Manda and the Gotengo from Atragon. Baragon first appears in Frankenstein Conquers the World. The Garguantuas from War Of The Gargantuas never fight Godzilla but they get name dropped in Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla. Ghidorah did have a movie named after him but he was fighting Godzilla in that one.

As far as I know the rest of the enemy kaiju are original Godzilla characters do not steal. Although they did make Jet Jaguar with the intention of spinning him off from Godzilla it didn't really work out.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

This is so cute and pure. And yeah, Cat Dude was a particularly cool part of a movie I already dug immensely. I'm glad Leslie Jones is back on twitter and that Milo Yiannapolous is permabanned.

Also, Travis, your excellent posting inspired me to switch my research project in my Film History class from "who has the monopoly on justified use of weapon violence in early American cinema" to "first appearance of monster types in early world cinema and what that may represent about the fears of the time." If I weren't a poor student, I'd buy you plat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Highlander. :v:

Nope, one timeline.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If you want something a bit more cutting edge, there's always Gamera vs Guiron.

When I was younger I used to watch a lot of MST3K and I could have swore that's where I watched Godzilla, but as it turns out they only did two movies neither of which I remember. Seeing as how that was 20+ years ago I chalked it up to bad memory. Now that you mention Gamera I'm wondering if that's who I'm thinking of. I knew I'd seen more than six giant monster movies as a kid.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gamera was definitely on MST3K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXkMfyjo7PU

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 16, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MST3k did two Godzilla movies (Ebirah and Hedorah IIRC), but Toho had a shitfit and they only ever got a single release that was recalled.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

MST3k did two Godzilla movies (Ebirah and Hedorah IIRC), but Toho had a shitfit and they only ever got a single release that was recalled.

The other MST3K is vs. Megalon, cause it's got the Jet Jaquar song. His mother never really love him

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Nope, one timeline.

So are they aliens or Scottish Egyptians?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

So are they aliens or Scottish Egyptians?

All of the above.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Travis343 posted:

The other MST3K is vs. Megalon, cause it's got the Jet Jaquar song. His mother never really love him

He also ate sushi from a pail.

AVGN also covered the Gamera movies in this Monster Madness
http://cinemassacre.com/category/moviereviews/monstermadness/sequel-a-thon-2/

I have the bluerays of the new ones, and they're really quite good. Gamera works better as a hero because he was the Defender of the Earth from the earliest films.

I really wish Godzilla movies were in Netflix or shomi or one of the zillion other streaming services. hell, I'd subscribe to a streaming service that was just genre and cult films.

Watching the Civil War Commentary, I never realized how well the Russos misdirect everyone, how they make it look like, yea at the end the evil Super Soldiers are going to heal the rift between Tony and Steve, but nope. I really cannot wait to see their Infinity War movie, they've demonstrated such skrull and acumen in making their films; how to balance all the characters, how to not just deliver the most obvious plots where some characters are going to be barely window dressing.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

twistedmentat posted:

I have the bluerays of the new ones, and they're really quite good. Gamera works better as a hero because he was the Defender of the Earth from the earliest films.

I really wish Godzilla movies were in Netflix or shomi or one of the zillion other streaming services. hell, I'd subscribe to a streaming service that was just genre and cult films.

Wasn't he a villain in the first one? I think I've seen the first Gamera (but I've watched the Monster Madness on them).

There are a couple genre and cult film streaming services, but I can only think of Shudder and that's never worked for me (using the free TV-style thing), and last I checked it didn't have any kaiju movies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

He also ate sushi from a pail.

AVGN also covered the Gamera movies in this Monster Madness
http://cinemassacre.com/category/moviereviews/monstermadness/sequel-a-thon-2/

Watching the Civil War Commentary, I never realized how well the Russos misdirect everyone, how they make it look like, yea at the end the evil Super Soldiers are going to heal the rift between Tony and Steve, but nope. I really cannot wait to see their Infinity War movie, they've demonstrated such skrull and acumen in making their films; how to balance all the characters, how to not just deliver the most obvious plots where some characters are going to be barely window dressing.

loling at the typo in this post.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

catlord posted:

Wasn't he a villain in the first one? I think I've seen the first Gamera (but I've watched the Monster Madness on them).

There are a couple genre and cult film streaming services, but I can only think of Shudder and that's never worked for me (using the free TV-style thing), and last I checked it didn't have any kaiju movies.

Hes not a villain really but the humans do try to stop him. They actually manage to get him stuck on his back which works until it turns out he can fly.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Since the topic's come up I may as well ask. For Labor Day weekend Comet TV did a Godzilla marathon, and when their trailer listed what was being shown ("The original, the sequel to the original, the American remake of the original" et cetera) they referred to Rodan as "the origin story" or "the beginning" or something like that (it's not exactly something I wrote down, this just reminded me). It aired after Godzilla, and as far as I saw he isn't involved in it at all, is there some other reason they'd call it that?

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 16, 2016

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bruceski posted:

Since the topic's come up I may as well ask. For Labor Day weekend Comet TV did a Godzilla marathon, and when their trailer listed what was being shown ("The original, the sequel to the original, the American remake of the original" et cetera) they referred to Rodan as "the origin story" or "the beginning" or something like that (it's not exactly something I wrote down, this just reminded me). It aired after Godzilla, and as far as I saw he isn't involved in it at all, is there some other reason they'd call it that?

Rodan's supposed to be in the new sequel, could have been referring to that

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Man of Steel sequel confirmed! Finally! I am optimistic! Shut up!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

muscles like this? posted:

loling at the typo in this post.

took me a second but yeah thats a good one lol

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Nope, one timeline.

Really? I assumed The Quickening, The Sorcerer and the TV series were all meant to be separate sequels to the first movie, then Endgame was in continuity with the original movie and the series, and The Source was mercifully all just a dream Duncan was having.

twistedmentat posted:

How much of it can be credited to Markus and McFeely as the writers? :confused:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Sep 16, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
edit: double post

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

twistedmentat posted:

they've demonstrated such skrull and acumen in making their films; how to balance all the characters,

No please NO

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Superman Homepage posted:

In an interview with Newsweek, Dany Garcia, Henry Cavill’s manager, confirmed that a standalone Superman film is indeed in “active development” at Warner Bros.
Fighting off a DT-esque freakout on this. Very optimistic. But hey, I'm the one guy looking forward to seeing Sophie Turner go full Phoenix (and I've never watched GoT).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hahah, wow that is a perfect typo. I feel I should just leave it as is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Superman's manager is The Rock's ex-wife?

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Yes, she's a talent manager. She also reps Eva Marie.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Dario the Wop posted:

Yes, she's a talent manager. She also reps Eva Marie.

Eva Marie and talent shouldn't even be in the same paragraph

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
That's why I said "also." :D

On one hand, I hope Brainiac's the villain in MoS 2. On the other hand, if JL involves Mother Boxes as super-intelligent AI it could be seen as treading the same ground. I'd love to see the Warworld/Mongul/Eradicator arc adapted into a film (the JLU episodes were dire).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I would prefer Mongol I think simply because superman would have no cultural responsibility for his existence, it would be nice for once for the threat to be %100 not his or Krypton's fault.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

greatn posted:

I would prefer Mongol I think simply because superman would have no cultural responsibility for his existence, it would be nice for once for the threat to be %100 not his or Krypton's fault.

"I was but a simple farmer before your KRYPTONIANS ruined my world. Since then I've fought to survive and in fighting I found strength. Kryptonians showed me that the only world worth living in is a world of war. And so I bring Warworld to EVERYONE"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

I agree, this is my big problem with the Earth 1 Superman books-2/3 wouldn't be an issue without Superman, and even Parasite could probably be handled by other people.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

greatn posted:

Brainiac isn't Kryptonian. At least not in like 90% of media.

Otherwise I agree completely. It's always loving Krypton.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I dunno, like everything I've ever seen of Brainiac since the 90s cartoon he's a kryptonian AI.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

greatn posted:

I dunno, like everything I've ever seen of Brainiac since the 90s cartoon he's a kryptonian AI.
Google Brainiac and "Colu."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is that like Ron Paul?

The only Brainiac I've ever seen presented in non comic medium has been kryptonian. The animated series, a couple of animated movies, Supergirl tv series, even the Superman Lives script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

greatn posted:

The only Brainiac I've ever seen presented in non comic medium has been kryptonian. The animated series, a couple of animated movies, Supergirl tv series, even the Superman Lives script.
By media I meant comic books too. Poor choice of words.

Also, Superman Unbound and Superman: Brainiac Attacks are the only animated movies with Brainiac, and only the latter uses the lazy Kryptonian Brainiac.

• Locked thread