Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

I started using Arq on OS X a few months ago and highly recommend it. It backs up my most important files once per day to three different machines via ssh and my not so important files (music, photos) to a ~cloud service~. It's super solid so far, I've restored multiple file without problems.
Most importantly it doesn't seem to break silently and for no reason. Set it up once and it just does it's thing.
It's also polished enough to provide options like throttling the CPU usage or automatically pausing backups when the machine runs on battery.

My Time Machine backups to my mac mini seemed to get corrupted at least twice a year. I would go weeks without a current backup because I didn't have the time to jump through the hoops in order to fix the corrupted disk image and keep my old backup history.

Daily Arq backups and occasional Superduper clones to an external drive is what I'd recommend to anyone with OS X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lmao if you can't write your own scripts that backup your data to the cloud

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

Arq always seemed like a great idea but I do hear things about it behaving weird. From a cursory glance, Amazon Cloud looks alright, but is it more expensive than using S3 or Glacier?

Amazon Cloud is $60 a year for unlimited storage. But they give you a 3 month trial to see if it works for you.

Glacier is less expensive, but I have bad luck with backup solutions. When my MBP SSD stopped booting, my Time Machine backups wouldn't restore. I got lucky and was able to mount the drive externally and pull stuff off, but it's put me off on proprietary backups. At least with Amazon Cloud I can log in and verify visually what's in there.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
For real tho how does that encryptor app work? Do I need to reupload all my Dropbox documents so they are encrypted?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So, checked off reminders have failed to sync for me for a long time. If I check something off on my Mac, I will need to check it off again on my iPhone and vice versa. Created reminders sync just fine. Is this poo poo normal?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
is the MacOS update today?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Feenix posted:

is the MacOS update today?

Sierra drops on the 20th.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Weedle posted:

Sierra drops on the 20th.

Oh, my bad. I thought everything was dumped out into the world today. Thanks!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

Oh, my bad. I thought everything was dumped out into the world today. Thanks!
Just grab the GM seed from beta.apple.com if you really care.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Lmao if you can't write your own scripts that backup your data to the cloud

Why re-invent the wheel? I banged something together with awscli to backup my photo library, but now the maintenance of that script and the idiosyncrasies of S3 are on me. Plus, something like Arq has a much larger deployment base from which to receive bug reports from. I might not find out there's a problem with my script until my backups don't work; or in my case, I realize that there's a problem with Python and awscli with UTF-8 characters in the file name. Seems like "not invented here" syndrome.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Any suggestions on good, but pricey productivity software to buy? The reason I ask is because I'm getting my masters right now and work is paying for it. Each time I take a class I have the ability to get up to $150 reimbursed for books/software. Since all my books for the classes are available as ebooks (something the school does) I just buy software that I could use/ potentially use for school.

So far I bought:
Omnigraffle (actually use this a lot)
Omniplan (taking project management)
Fantastical
Scrivener
Parallels and Windows

I already own iWork and omnifocus. I'm not looking to spend it for the sake of spending it, but if there are any other good apps I'm forgetting about, I'd like to get them while I can.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

Just grab the GM seed from beta.apple.com if you really care.

Be careful, they have already issued two version builds as release candidates, 16A320 and 16A322 (today).. nobody knows if they'll release another, or decide to only distribute the older one.

And there's no delta update between the builds. :(

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Haggins posted:

Any suggestions on good, but pricey productivity software to buy? The reason I ask is because I'm getting my masters right now and work is paying for it. Each time I take a class I have the ability to get up to $150 reimbursed for books/software. Since all my books for the classes are available as ebooks (something the school does) I just buy software that I could use/ potentially use for school.

So far I bought:
Fantastical
Scrivener
Parallels and Windows

I already own iWork and omnifocus. I'm not looking to spend it for the sake of spending it, but if there are any other good apps I'm forgetting about, I'd like to get them while I can.

My boss and several other writer people I know swear by Ulysses

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maybe Endnote? Though Zotero does it for free.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Haggins posted:

So far I bought:
Fantastical
Scrivener
Parallels and Windows

Microsoft Office, which will get you OneNote.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Does 1Password count as productivity software? I sure get a lot more done now.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

rear end Catchcum posted:

For real tho how does that encryptor app work? Do I need to reupload all my Dropbox documents so they are encrypted?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

Be careful, they have already issued two version builds as release candidates, 16A320 and 16A322 (today).. nobody knows if they'll release another, or decide to only distribute the older one.

Can I run the dmg installer to upgrade to the latest from the previous one without wiping everything?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Every time I hear people talk Dropbox alternatives I like reading the 'announcement' of dropbox on HN:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8863

I have a few qualms with this app:

1. For a Linux user, you can already build such a system yourself quite trivially by getting an FTP account, mounting it locally with curlftpfs, and then using SVN or CVS on the mounted filesystem. From Windows or Mac, this FTP account could be accessed through built-in software.

2. It doesn't actually replace a USB drive. Most people I know e-mail files to themselves or host them somewhere online to be able to perform presentations, but they still carry a USB drive in case there are connectivity problems. This does not solve the connectivity issue.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

rear end Catchcum posted:

Most likely. I personally wouldn't trust software like that to be using effective encryption and to be supported for years to come. Use a password manager, use two factor authentication (but not SMS), and don't put documents on Dropbox unless you don't have a problem with others possibly seeing it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Can I run the dmg installer to upgrade to the latest from the previous one without wiping everything?

Don't see any issues with that, but disable FileVault before you do that, just to be safe. Or ignore me if you didn't have it enabled.

Edit: let us know if it works, I'ma just gonna make a backup image then wipe and reformat with 16A322, then restore with Migration Assistant.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 14, 2016

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Haggins posted:

So far I bought:
Fantastical
Scrivener
Parallels and Windows

Need any graphics stuff? Affinity Designer and Photo are solid, I think $50 each.

fleshweasel posted:

So, checked off reminders have failed to sync for me for a long time. If I check something off on my Mac, I will need to check it off again on my iPhone and vice versa. Created reminders sync just fine. Is this poo poo normal?
I've had trouble with it too. I just check off on iPhone and...I think it eventually propagates everywhere. On the Mac I open up the notification pane and hit the x to clear them from the screen.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

wolffenstein posted:

Most likely. I personally wouldn't trust software like that to be using effective encryption and to be supported for years to come. Use a password manager, use two factor authentication (but not SMS), and don't put documents on Dropbox unless you don't have a problem with others possibly seeing it.

Thank you.

eames
May 9, 2009

wolffenstein posted:

I think the last bit is the most important one.
People tend to forget that there's a very high chance that today's strong encryption will be broken in the blink of an eye by future technology.

Once you upload your data to a cloud service you have zero control over where that data goes.

If you use cloud services then you should be cool with some future guy finding all your photos/data/phone backup/1password keychain on a carelessly wiped server drive on ebay and him being able to read all of it on his quantum computer. :tinfoil:

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Probably asking waaaay too early since Sierra is not even technically out yet, but are there any video players that play MKV and also support picture in picture on Sierra? Real airplay support would be good too.

I've been using VLC but it doesn't support PIP and it's airplay support is garbage (their "solution" is for you to airplay your whole screen, which tanks the framerate) and I don't think Quicktime supports MKVs unless there's something I don't really know about. I've worked around it by installing the VLC app on my Apple TV and streaming from that but it's pretty bad as well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Are you trying to use PIP and stream at the same time? Is it for a presentation kind of set up? I would usually just recommend Plex for streaming, especially MKV cos they've got apps on basically everything at this stage.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Are you trying to use PIP and stream at the same time? Is it for a presentation kind of set up? I would usually just recommend Plex for streaming, especially MKV cos they've got apps on basically everything at this stage.

Nah sorry, two different solutions. Basically the PIP is for watching local stuff while I work, airplay would be a bonus. I do have Plex, just haven't bothered setting it up on my MBP yet. I guess I could just set up Plex and use Safari for PIP locally...

VLC does have an "always on top" option but the screen won't resize small enough.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

wolffenstein posted:

What's wrong with SMS as a two factor authentication option? Is it insecure for Google to text me "your verification code is G-1234567?"

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

MrChupon posted:

What's wrong with SMS as a two factor authentication option? Is it insecure for Google to text me "your verification code is G-1234567?"

LinusTechTips recently got "hacked" when someone managed to convince his mobile carrier they were him, ported his number to a different SIM, then used 2FA to seize control of his domain account and redirect the domains to different hosting.

If you're not high profile then it's probably nothing to worry about, but proves that the system isn't infallible.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MrChupon posted:

My one worry is that I'm going to be changing phone services soon and I'm going to forget about a site that uses 2FA via text.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

My one worry is that I'm going to be changing phone services soon and I'm going to forget about a site that uses 2FA via text.

You can keep your number unless you have moved to a different geographic area.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Froist posted:

LinusTechTips recently got "hacked" when someone managed to convince his mobile carrier they were him, ported his number to a different SIM, then used 2FA to seize control of his domain account and redirect the domains to different hosting.

If you're not high profile then it's probably nothing to worry about, but proves that the system isn't infallible.

The better alternative is something like google authenticator right?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

withak posted:

You can keep your number unless you have moved to a different geographic area.

Different country!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

16A323 today, as well.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Luckily if you install it onto a USB key with the usual script, you can boot off of it and update the build easy peasy.

Dunno if you had it encrypted though, will test that out later.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Luckily if you install it onto a USB key with the usual script, you can boot off of it and update the build easy peasy.
I just do an in-place upgrade. I've gone from 16A20 to 16A22, to 16A23 on the same system. You just run the install app and it bypasses all the first-time setup stuff after reboot. It basically seems to behave like a combo update.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BTW, if you have FileVault enabled, boot into Sierra, then put in the Sierra USB installer with a later build and try to run it direct from the USB without booting off of it, it fails.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Butt Savage posted:

The better alternative is something like google authenticator right?
Correct. 1Password supports adding 2FA tokens that work with Google Authenticator so it's nice not to have a separate app for passwords and tokens.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wolffenstein posted:

Correct. 1Password supports adding 2FA tokens that work with Google Authenticator so it's nice not to have a separate app for passwords and tokens.

:aaa:

Well, god drat, how did I not know about this. That's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

wolffenstein posted:

Ahh drat. How did I not know this! This is awesome.