Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Did you say a sword?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Its pronounced "sword".

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Here's your knife

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Does SF have a chinatown? The ones in NYC and Chicago sold that stuff.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rhyno posted:

It does... while I'd prefer to avoid a trip to Chinatown that might be the last resort. There's a martial arts supply store near where I'm staying that, according to their website, has those straight swords for $35 which isn't too bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pham Nuwen posted:

It does... while I'd prefer to avoid a trip to Chinatown that might be the last resort. There's a martial arts supply store near where I'm staying that, according to their website, has those straight swords for $35 which isn't too bad.

How about a costume rental store? I just checked my local one and they rent swords, I'm sure SF has to have something like that.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The best swords have names.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Well then.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

NitroSpazzz posted:

Are you the one that snapchats minis and various old Brit stuff at the track from time to time? If so I love it

That's me! I've been taking photos so I could do a decent log. BTW my boss is heading to Road America as we speak, unfortunately I won't be going this time.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is probably the best thing about working IT. I can hate my job and not ruin any of my passions.
I still love photography, and working on motorcycles even though I haven't done much of either lately.
I'm starting to get a little disenchanted with cooking. BUT THANK loving GOD I'm not forced to do any of them to make a living. Or, I would probably hate them all.

...actually looking back. Working on motorcycles was the best job I've ever had.

I shouldn't complain really, everything about my current work arrangement is great. Flexible hours, easy going owners, I'm doing dope poo poo with all types classic cars. The trouble is I don't know if there's going to be enough work 20 years from now, not to mention the horrors of running my own shop.

I don't know where things are going to lead but then again I never intended to make a living working on cars, let alone specializing in classic British cars.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Bonus factoid: A lot of HR people have a sociology degree so it's a great "in" for interviews, it's how I got my foot in the door at the company I've now worked at for 13 years.

Thanks for the tip!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

SF has the largest Chinatown in the U.S.

Pham Nuwen posted:

If you end up needing to go to Chinatown, check out Grant St. It's the touristy part of Chinatown and you'll find what you need.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mariooncrack posted:

SF has the largest Chinatown in the U.S.

Neat! I've not been to SF so I was unaware. NYC C-town was pretty excellent. Chicago's is lame as poo poo.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I don't know where things are going to lead but then again I never intended to make a living working on cars, let alone specializing in classic British cars.

well... thank Lucas for keeping you in business I suppose.
You could always become an electrician if things don't work out.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Neat! I've not been to SF so I was unaware. NYC C-town was pretty excellent. Chicago's is lame as poo poo.

That's disappointing to hear. I'm heading to Chicago next month and I was hoping to go to Chinatown.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

I've still got one of my 20D's from back in the day, works just fine. I made a lot of money off 10D's and 20D's, it's the glass that really counts.

Yeah I know. I was telling somebody younger how impressed I was with how useable pictures are from my camera from ISO 400 even to 1600. He was so unimpressed. I feel old.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I think I'd enjoy rebuilding this boat a lot more if every session wasn't 4 hours of 3 stubborn assholes (myself included) arguing about how and where to smash rivets and 4 hours of smashing the loving rivets.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mariooncrack posted:

That's disappointing to hear. I'm heading to Chicago next month and I was hoping to go to Chinatown.

You should absolutely go but be prepared to walk the entire length of the touristy part in less than an hour. What part of the city are you staying in?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

leica posted:

You can get excellent bokeh with prime lenses just fine. My Canon 135L produced the best bokeh I've ever seen and I've had Leica setups before. Zooms are great if you need them, most of the time you don't.
Sure. But not from a cell phone lens.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

What happened to the De-escaladed thread?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Ferremit posted:

What happened to the De-escaladed thread?

A grade-A case of "tantrum followed by taking ones toys and going home" from the look of it.

Likely brought on by that lovely disaster of a car dealer thread if I had to guess.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I'll have you know we're having a delightful discussion about IKEA in that thread :colbert:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Rhyno posted:

You should absolutely go but be prepared to walk the entire length of the touristy part in less than an hour. What part of the city are you staying in?

Boston's Chinatown is like, 2x4 blocks.

But also home to this vaguely automotive-related video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI580-MXFP4&t=10s

and that one scene in The Depahted.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

kastein posted:

A grade-A case of "tantrum followed by taking ones toys and going home" from the look of it.

Likely brought on by that lovely disaster of a car dealer thread if I had to guess.

It's been quiet for days though

Oh well turns out he was a huge rear end in a top hat, no big loss

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 16, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

Sydney is rapidly moving from having Sydney Chinatown to actually just straight out being China. I rather like it personally - watching a city moving from a tiny minority Asian to second largest and growing far faster than English / Australian population is amazing (approaching, might even be more as the figures from 2011 are badliy lagging the population shift that going on). I think that Chinese just by itself will become the second largest ethnical background this decade behind Australian - and very likely we'll go majority Asian within 15 years.

And that I think will be a good thing.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
THIS MOTHERFUCKER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAawhg6JtyY

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

What was the tantrum? Last I saw, he said I was right and he got plastidipped the center caps and put on some cheap stickers in the center. It didn't seem contentious at all. And believe me, I know contentious.

Edit: Nevermind. It wasn't the de-escaladed thread, from the looks of his post history, he got butthurt in the vroom thread and went on a "delete all my posts" rampage.

Now I've got to go catch up on the vroom thread, sounds like that's been a shitfest from jump.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 16, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
His redtext points to the dealer thread being the culprit.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Get the smokeless, it's always better.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Where's the tread? People losing their minds on the internet is funny to me and I have the afternoon free at work to do some lolling

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

It's still on the first page here, the Vroom thread. It's not as exciting as it sounds. Fuelslt does some low level trolling and everdave loses his poo poo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Funny how someone arguing a contrary opinion is automatically assumed to be trolling

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

fridge corn posted:

Funny how someone arguing a contrary opinion is automatically assumed to be trolling
Pretty sure this is a troll but Im not sure.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
So I put my guitar up on craigslist, and the first reply I heard was unfortunately from an out of state scammer. I wonder if its all just an automatic script that contacts every item over $1000 because it seems he didnt think something through:

quote:

Hello there,Regarding to your post on CL.I am interested,i would have prefer calling but I'm deaf, If available text me back and let me know Dannis..

Hi I'm deaf and buying guitars on the internet I'm definitely not fake.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Beethoven was deaf bro, don't judge.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Im killing the dreams of the Stevie Wonder of the guitar world. :(

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Rhyno posted:

It's small, but it's a solid morning's excursion if you have lunch after and then hit up Ping Tom Park.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Aww man, my friend is going to look at a modded for speed FB RX7 next weekend and I'll be miles away in Scotland when he does. I'm pretty sure if it's as good as it looks in the photos he'll grab it which means I'll have to wait to get a drive in it. :'(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

We've had other threads like that in the past where AI unanimously bashes car salesmen and then one or two actual salesmen come in and try to argue. Never works out well for them, I wonder why.

[e] Haha, he went through every one of his posts in that thread and edited them out even though most of them were quoted anyway, what a moron.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 16, 2016

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Wow, is THAT what happened? Sheesh. It's a shock that car salespeople don't fully anticipate that kind of animosity towards their positions.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ExplodingSims posted:

It's still on the first page here, the Vroom thread. It's not as exciting as it sounds. Fuelslt does some low level trolling and everdave loses his poo poo

If it were just trolling, why go back and delete it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

scuz posted:

Wow, is THAT what happened? Sheesh. It's a shock that car salespeople don't fully anticipate that kind of animosity towards their positions.

It's not animosity, he was a complete cock about it. It's too bad cause his escalade thread was good and drama free.

• Locked thread