Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cruising Altitude
Sep 15, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

dang ur clock is good but the internals seem to be messed up what do we do puddin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Shbobdb posted:

I recently watched Rebuild 1&2 and they were fun but in a post "walking in on your terminally autistic roommate masturbating to his framed picture of Rei" world I really have to say that Eva is many times more good than bad.

Walking in on your roommate masturbating to Rei improved your Eva experience?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

How the gently caress does eva qualify as "non-weeb?"

Mostly non-weeb, I said. Shinji doesn't shonen the poo poo out and doesn't end up with a harem. Everything is relative.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

The characters in Eva are pretty terrifyingly spot-on to people with debilitating mental disorders, whether it was intentional or not. What's scarier is I've known actual people who are kinda similar to people in the show.

It's really not a show about giant robots, or aliens, or religion or symbolism or whatever. It's basically a show about severe depression and mental illness and the rest is window dressing. I have a theory that if you "don't get it", there's good news! You're probably moderately well-adjusted and thus don't really have a common frame of reference. So what I'm saying is if you're a typical sadbrain self-loathing nerd who posts in GBS, Eva is a show that you can likely relate to. If you're happy and life is good, you might not like Eva so much.

Cruising Altitude
Sep 15, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Gammatron 64 posted:

The characters in Eva are pretty terrifyingly spot-on to people with debilitating mental disorders, whether it was intentional or not. What's scarier is I've known actual people who are kinda similar to people in the show.

It's really not a show about giant robots, or aliens, or religion or symbolism or whatever. It's basically a show about severe depression and mental illness and the rest is window dressing. I have a theory that if you "don't get it", there's good news! You're probably moderately well-adjusted and thus don't really have a common frame of reference. So what I'm saying is if you're a typical sadbrain self-loathing nerd who posts in GBS, Eva is a show that you can likely relate to. If you're happy and life is good, you might not like Eva so much.

im so happy i get to rimjob myself this life cycle.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
You people need help. Professional help.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I'm pretty well adjusted and I can still tell that basically every single person in the show is a terrible excuse for a human being.

Agreed that the show is about hosed up people at it's core. I mean, hell. Shinji getting over his bullshit being the original ending should help clue everyone in on that point.

Cruising Altitude
Sep 15, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
yes costs for my body being destroyed and tim's are factored into this u can just talk to me irl if u want about it all we can write it down on secret ink and poo poo gently caress these robocops

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I agree that if you think Shinji "getting balls" in the rebuild 2 is totally missing the point, especially if you have issue with the characters hating him in rebuild 3 : "but he did something the thought was right!! Everyone is ganging up on him" every one has 12 years of his decision riding on their backs, you get to a point where it doesn't matter what someone's intentions are but only the results: in shinjis case : you can easily convince yourself he meant everything bad that happened and hate him for it.

It's hard you really conceptualize what a decade plus can do to your mind, mentally, if you're living in the aftermath of someones boneheaded decision, regardless if you agreed with them initially.

I know rebuild 3 is supposed to be a commentary on the Eva fans being stunted, but while I was initially really frustrated with everyone's reactions to shinjis decision / action from a decade previous, some bullshit irl actually cemented the idea that intentions don't mean ANYTHING.

Rebuild 3 is a lot more interesting with the idea in mind that everyone who opposes or hates Shinji is not "wrong ".

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
There has not been a wedgie invented that would satisfy what you deserve for that post.

Cruising Altitude
Sep 15, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I agree that if you think Shinji "getting balls" in the rebuild 2 is totally missing the point, especially if you have issue with the characters hating him in rebuild 3 : "but he did something the thought was right!! Everyone is ganging up on him" every one has 12 years of his decision riding on their backs, you get to a point where it doesn't matter what someone's intentions are but only the results: in shinjis case : you can easily convince yourself he meant everything bad that happened and hate him for it.

It's hard you really conceptualize what a decade plus can do to your mind, mentally, if you're living in the aftermath of someones boneheaded decision, regardless if you agreed with them initially.

I know rebuild 3 is supposed to be a commentary on the Eva fans being stunted, but while I was initially really frustrated with everyone's reactions to shinjis decision / action from a decade previous, some bullshit irl actually cemented the idea that intentions don't mean ANYTHING.

Rebuild 3 is a lot more interesting with the idea in mind that everyone who opposes or hates Shinji is not "wrong ".

you're a killer dood but im a genetically enhanced cyborg blastar

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Leroy Dennui posted:

Walking in on your roommate masturbating to Rei improved your Eva experience?

I wouldn't exchange his giant retard dick for anything in this world.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nintendo Genesis Loungelion doesn't even make sense. The Genesis was a Sega product.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I read an interesting theory somewhere that each rebuild is a different take on eva. 1 is eva as it was, 2 is eva as anno percieved the fans wanted it to be, and 3 is the eva that is more in line with anno's ideals for the series.

As cathartic as seeing shinji nut up was after all those years, 2 does strike me as kinda wierd and off. No one is acting nuts or mean spirited. The girls are fighting over shinji (lol). Asuka treats him like a human being rather than a particularly contemptible dog. He easily gets in the robot with zero bitching. There's this character that can beat angels without a horrific emotional cost. Hell even gendo starts acting like some warm blood is flowing through his veins. It's kinda refreshing but is it even eva really? There's enough blood for it to be so, at least.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Nathilus posted:

Eva and cowboy bebop are the gold standard of mostly non-weeb anime and both have decent dubs. Just why though? Why get into anime? Really dumb idea imo. Look at how stupid and lame I have made myself seem with my horrible, tragic evaposting in this thread. Is that what you want for yourself? REALLY?

Just dont do it bro. Blissful ignorance is the key to a happy, fulfilled life.

If you need more convincing, go read adtrw for 5 minutes.

I just don't get 95% of the references in the pyf cosplay thread and it is affecting my self esteem quite negatively.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Nathilus posted:

I read an interesting theory somewhere that each rebuild is a different take on eva. 1 is eva as it was, 2 is eva as anno percieved the fans wanted it to be, and 3 is the eva that is more in line with anno's ideals for the series.

As cathartic as seeing shinji nut up was after all those years, 2 does strike me as kinda wierd and off. No one is acting nuts or mean spirited. The girls are fighting over shinji (lol). Asuka treats him like a human being rather than a particularly contemptible dog. He easily gets in the robot with zero bitching. There's this character that can beat angels without a horrific emotional cost. Hell even gendo starts acting like some warm blood is flowing through his veins. It's kinda refreshing but is it even eva really? There's enough blood for it to be so, at least.

nice

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

I just watched all of the documentary Nanking.

How caught up am I on Japanese culture?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Bert Roberge posted:

I just don't get 95% of the references in the pyf cosplay thread and it is affecting my self esteem quite negatively.

Wisdom is profane and ignorance blessed. All you need is jesus anyway.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Bert Roberge posted:

I just watched all of the documentary Nanking.

How caught up am I on Japanese culture?

Its all you need to know really.

(I didn't even know don king GOT raped!)

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nathilus posted:

Its all you need to know really.

(I didn't even know don king GOT raped!)

one race war never hurt anyone jeef relaxxx

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

When I get my foreign bakery shop up and running I'm gonna call it:

The Crepe of Naan King

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I understood it as of 2.22, but now I don't understand it again.

Misato best girl.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Anime is trash.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

When I watch 2.22, I keep thinking it's shinji's dream and he wakes up for it at one point since it's so different but nope, I guess it's supposed to be real.

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

No see, this anime is really deep because I'm a manchild that's never read a book in my entire life that was assigned outside of middle school.

i'm less like shinji at the end of Evangelion and more like Hal at the beginning/end of Infinite Jest

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Chill la Chill posted:

When I watch 2.22, I keep thinking it's shinji's dream and he wakes up for it at one point since it's so different but nope, I guess it's supposed to be real.

It's like the saccharine "shinji's school days" anime you get a peak at in episodes 25 and 26. Eva without the angst and suffering is barely even eva.

https://youtu.be/FckkZihQUaU

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 16, 2016

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Nathilus posted:

It's like the saccharine "shinji's school days" anime you get a peak at in episodes 25 and 26. Eva without the angst and suffering is barely even eva.

https://youtu.be/FckkZihQUaU

I'm of the opinion that Shinji's real life is actually an incredibly depressing version of that. He's not actually fighting giant monsters, he's just a regular kid who created this universe in his head cause his life is horrible as poo poo. His mom's dead, his dad ignores him, the girl he likes hates him, and everything terrible about the series is to some degree real, except it's incredibly mundane. Which means even in his fantasies, Shinji is the most pathetic person alive.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

caleramaen posted:

I'm of the opinion that Shinji's real life is actually an incredibly depressing version of that. He's not actually fighting giant monsters, he's just a regular kid who created this universe in his head cause his life is horrible as poo poo. His mom's dead, his dad ignores him, the girl he likes hates him, and everything terrible about the series is to some degree real, except it's incredibly mundane. Which means even in his fantasies, Shinji is the most pathetic person alive.

Acceptable headcanon imo.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

caleramaen posted:

I've heard of that theory before and it's one I really like.

Shinji is also pretty close to being Anno's self-insert so that might be pretty close to the truth.

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I really enjoyed the female form of Rei in various bondage schoolgirl hentai because she was purely an object in the anime.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
If children being mentally destroyed by both the horror of piloting giant killing machines and the responsibility of being the only people capable of piloting those machines isn't compelling to you then I don't know man, I just don't know.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

personable decorum posted:

Rei was purely an object in the anime.
Yeah that's kinda the point. I only learned just recently that "best girl" and waifu wars started because of the dumb rei vs asuka favoritism.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Nathilus posted:

Eva and cowboy bebop are the gold standard of mostly non-weeb anime and both have decent dubs. Just why though? Why get into anime? Really dumb idea imo. Look at how stupid and lame I have made myself seem with my horrible, tragic evaposting in this thread. Is that what you want for yourself? REALLY?

Just dont do it bro. Blissful ignorance is the key to a happy, fulfilled life.

If you need more convincing, go read adtrw for 5 minutes.

I think the most baller, non-weeb anime might be Death Note.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

The Dennis System posted:

I think the most baller, non-weeb anime might be Death Note.

ahahahahahahahshahahahajhahahahahahahahahahahshahshahahahahajahahahahahahshahahahahahshahahahshahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Mindgame gets the same point across as Eva much more efficiently and effectively.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

The Dennis System posted:

I think the most weeb anime might be Death Note.

FTFY

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Death Note is the original Gay Swimming Anime.

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man
I haven't watched anime in a long time, but after reading this thread I decided to watch one of the remake movies. I had a weeblapse

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

RicochetD20 posted:

I haven't watched anime in a long time, but after reading this thread I decided to watch one of the remake movies. I had a weeblapse

Congratulations, your name has been added to the appropriate watchlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

:amine:. It's blood.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 17, 2016

• Locked thread