Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One thing I wish Warhammer would include from Attila is separate stack tabs, so you could switch between a garrison/reinforcing army stack and your primary stack. It made managing 40 until armies so much easier than trying to navigate all the unit cards on a single panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I didn't really find naval combat that interesting in Attila, just because it kind of felt weird how maneuverable the ships are coming from Shogun 2, and how ships just instantly lock in place when they touch. I get that it makes it less of a pain, but there still isn't really much variety to ships so it just ends up as this big blob of ships boarding each other.

I have a feeling one of the developers in CA really really fecking loves barges which explains the pre-Industrial navy shennangins in Shogun 2.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just started up Attila for the first time, just screwing around in the prologue before starting a campaign proper - is there anything I need to know? I vaguely recall from either sometime earlier in this thread or some other iteration of it somebody mentioning that there is a "trap" in that a lot of the food producing buildings you produce actually turn out to be completely useless about a third of the way into the campaign when the climate suddenly changes or something? Any advice on something like that so I don't get 30+ hours into a game and suddenly find myself completely hosed (unless by my own terrible management skills, that's perfectly fine!)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

I just started up Attila for the first time, just screwing around in the prologue before starting a campaign proper - is there anything I need to know? I vaguely recall from either sometime earlier in this thread or some other iteration of it somebody mentioning that there is a "trap" in that a lot of the food producing buildings you produce actually turn out to be completely useless about a third of the way into the campaign when the climate suddenly changes or something? Any advice on something like that so I don't get 30+ hours into a game and suddenly find myself completely hosed (unless by my own terrible management skills, that's perfectly fine!)

Basically there's an annoying mechanic that lowers the fertility of every province on the map by 1 every so often - I think by the time it finishes it's at -3 or -4. So even in provinces that start with 6 fertility, you get more long term effectiveness out of the things like goat pens that don't depend as much on fertility for food production and money. Although it's not that big a deal - Attila lets you sidegrade any building to the equivalent rank on another branch for a bit of cash, so you can start off with fields and then sidegrade to goats when climate change hits.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh that's not so bad then, thanks!

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Attila's the only TW game I extensively modded, and it was mostly to do stuff like remove Hun cheats, nonsensical public order hits from certain buildings, and climate change blanket-affecting the whole map so the Nile River apparently freezes over. I didn't mind some of the limitations, but they didn't have enough time to balance it all out.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How is Warhammer TW these days? Did they patch up some of the balance issues?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

It's great

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Most of them. Current problem is that Vampire Counts have two new units with regeneration, and they stack.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So not Shogun 2 tightness (as long as we forget siege units) but not that bad?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

So not Shogun 2 tightness (as long as we forget siege units) but not that bad?

Sort of. It's easier for a good player to win as Empire, Brettonia, or Vampires than it is for Dwarf, Greenskins, or Chaos, at least in multi. Single-player is well-balanced, though.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

So if I've played Rome2 already pretty extensively, what do I need to know going into Attila? I've heard about the fertility degradation but with the ability to side-grade into pasturage that doesn't sound SO bad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chairface posted:

So if I've played Rome2 already pretty extensively, what do I need to know going into Attila? I've heard about the fertility degradation but with the ability to side-grade into pasturage that doesn't sound SO bad.

You no longer have a major advantage in infantry. Late era Roman infantry are still really strong, but enemy armies pack a fuckload of units with armor piercing javelins and spears, and there are more of them than there are of you.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

chairface posted:

I think upkeep in Attila is generally quite a bit higher, relative to how much it costs to recruit something. Don't be afraid to disband stuff, especially depleted units that are going to take years to recover. The early game will force you to play tight with finances, but it gets better, slowly.

Attila is killable, but you need to defeat him in battle at least twice, until you can gank him with an assassin. Until he dies, Hunnic armies never stop respawning.

If you're fighting Romans, make sure to bring units with armour-piercing. Also, if things get hairy with the Romans on the strategic map, just try withdrawing. The Romans have a lot of poo poo to deal with so you can usually avoid getting your core lands sacked.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

chairface posted:

Depends on the faction. East and West Rome are the two most famous campaigns, where you actually kind of start at what feels sort of like a middle-to-end-game situation with long turns while having to force Huns off your land. I'd recommend playing the Franks or Saxons first, as they're the most traditional-playing factions as far as TW goes. A few tips to get started on Attila:

-The game and Geforce Experience will lie to you about recommended settings. Set damned near everything to low or medium, as the game still looks really good at those settings, and trying to set it to highest even with the absolute meanest rig will not keep you above 30 frames consistently.

-The campaign tutorial is pretty lovely, but you should know what you're doing by now.

-Make sure to investigate the Politics tab early on. Politics are much more complex this time around.

-The Huns have massive cheats turned on. They have kind of a weird money bonus that means they'll field largely elite units, including several onagers, which would be impossible for a person playing the Huns in the same situation. They also have a feature that prevents your units from replenishing if a Hun army is in the same zone at all.

-The AI likes to play "tag" in this game. Unlike previous TW games, Attila armies will usually only attack you if auto-resolve is massively in their favor. As a result, they count the pixels it takes to destroy your poo poo and always just be out of range of retaliation. Ambush stance will actually turn AI stupid and just run into you. They'll also throw stacks of three or four armies at you regularly, so deal with that.

-Invest in sanitation early.

-I don't normally recommend installing mods right off the bat, but I would definitely at the very least get the Double Garrisons mod. It shouldn't be a big hindrance to you when attacking, but it's a way of countering the AI's obnoxious behavior of ignoring everything but your weakest settlements.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Double garrinsons and Mazz's upkeep mod are the only things you need in Attila IMO

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Don't discount catapults as anti infantry weapons. They are extremely strong in siege defenses when you can bottleneck enemy forces.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Playing the prologue, took out an army of Huns who crossed into my land, losing about a third of my guys in the process. Pfft, these chumps aren't that tough what's the big deal.

Next turn two DOOM armies flood across the forests and wipe out my two largest armies with contemptuous ease :stare:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Playing the prologue, took out an army of Huns who crossed into my land, losing about a third of my guys in the process. Pfft, these chumps aren't that tough what's the big deal.

Next turn two DOOM armies flood across the forests and wipe out my two largest armies with contemptuous ease :stare:

Yeah buckle up

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Another Attila thing is that you can straight upgrade your units from low-tier to high-tier. Sometimes, you do not want to do that, because the new units will have much higher upkeep and bankrupt you.

Dedicated naval units get extreme autobalance weight, when fighting transports. You can gank high level armies with small navies. On the battle map, it's not so lopsided, but the imbalance is still there.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Good news everyone, Imperial Splendour has the band back together for ETW and 3.0! bad news? It's going to be a loving while man.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Good news everyone, Imperial Splendour has the band back together for ETW and 3.0! bad news? It's going to be a loving while man.

drat, you got my hopes up for a moment.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

drat, you got my hopes up for a moment.

I'm sorry, I felt the same way reading the Mod DB news post.

But hey, they are going to release the mod in little bits in the next few months. Yaaaay.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Plan Z posted:

Yeah buckle up

I ended up using an Agent to keep the one giant army in place while my big army recovered, then got told I should abandon the cities and go chill with the Romans. So I did (blowing up my cities and destroying the land was something I didn't realize I could do, that rules!) and headed down to Adrianople and took over from some rebels, and I thought the Romans were cool with me and total bros thank you very much Emperor Valens :mad:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm thinking about finally picking up Attila. Can anyone recommend some mods to get right out of the gate to improve it?

Things I hate: Settlements getting nuked and then the AI never making an effort to resettle them, agents, the AI refusing diplomacy no matter what they get offered and the AI making poorly balanced armies.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Another Attila thing is that you can straight upgrade your units from low-tier to high-tier. Sometimes, you do not want to do that, because the new units will have much higher upkeep and bankrupt you.

Dedicated naval units get extreme autobalance weight, when fighting transports. You can gank high level armies with small navies. On the battle map, it's not so lopsided, but the imbalance is still there.

Even playing out the naval battles dedicated naval units will usually demolish transports - the sea sickness penalty for land units fighting at sea basically reduces all their stats to single digits so even a really strong unit will barely dent a boarding crew from a naval unit.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Even playing out the naval battles dedicated naval units will usually demolish transports - the sea sickness penalty for land units fighting at sea basically reduces all their stats to single digits so even a really strong unit will barely dent a boarding crew from a naval unit.

Transports also have poo poo for armor and health, so even a rinky dink boat can sink two or three transports by ramming them until they get boarded.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I honestly wish they had this system in Warhammer. Would have been nice for upgrading to Great Weapons, at least.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'm thinking about finally picking up Attila. Can anyone recommend some mods to get right out of the gate to improve it?

Things I hate: Settlements getting nuked and then the AI never making an effort to resettle them, agents, the AI refusing diplomacy no matter what they get offered and the AI making poorly balanced armies.

Like another Goon and I said earlier, get double garrisons and Mazz's upkeep mod. I don't ever install gameplay mods for TW games, but with Attila, I almost consider these two necessary. Other than that, I'd maybe say get Recolonize by Karnil. It lowers the pretty exorbitant prices of converting/rebuilding certain settlements, which is a godsend for the Saxon campaign if I remember right.

There is an "AI resettles razed settlements" mod but it has goofy graphical glitches that can't be fixed that just show an AI army standing on an apparently-razed settlement when it's actually being built up.

Otherwise, I install mods that tend to shorten my time on the campaign map like No "Death" Trait for Huns that keeps 8 archers from preventing your army of thousands from replenishing, and V.'s Public Order Penalties mod that doesn't result in your populace being more furious about the idea of a farm instead of an open lot.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Thanks, I've picked those up but I can't get past my first battle. Yikes the lighting on Attila is bad! It's this weird over saturated, gamma hosed mess. What's a good mod to fix the lighting?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I don't know. I rather like the look of it, and tend to not go that far with modding.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The lighting is overexposed to create a weird bleak look for the game's apocalyptic overtones. It's not as bad the further south you go, however. I've had some nice looking battles in spain/africa.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Plan Z posted:

Attila's the only TW game I extensively modded, and it was mostly to do stuff like remove Hun cheats, nonsensical public order hits from certain buildings, and climate change blanket-affecting the whole map so the Nile River apparently freezes over. I didn't mind some of the limitations, but they didn't have enough time to balance it all out.
Do you also happen to have a mod that fixes Argentoratum having one fewer building slots than any other settlement on the map?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

Do you also happen to have a mod that fixes Argentoratum having one fewer building slots than any other settlement on the map?

lol I didn't realize this was ever an issue because I left Argentoratum and it's lovely region razed for the entirety of my 2 campaigns.

Did CA ever answer why it was like that? I couldn't find anything online about it.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So today Windows Defender decided it had found a virus for the first time ever. Specifically, the launcher for the Warhammer mod for M2TW. I'd had the mod installed for a while and it just started complaining today so it must have been something that matched with the new definitions.

...anyone else seen something similar, or a likely false positive?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So I've been playing vanilla Rome 2 as Rome and things have been going great as I've now conquered everything around the Mediterranean aside from Libya, Egypt, and Syria. It's 140 BC with the standard 1 turn per year and I still don't understand how politics work in this game at all. I control like half the senate I guess and the Civil War meter is empty. What does any of this poo poo mean? I haven't done any inter-family interactions. Meanwhile I'm making 20k gold per turn with 12 full stack legions so I'm doing something right.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So today Windows Defender decided it had found a virus for the first time ever. Specifically, the launcher for the Warhammer mod for M2TW. I'd had the mod installed for a while and it just started complaining today so it must have been something that matched with the new definitions.

...anyone else seen something similar, or a likely false positive?

A lot of old game mods and .exes get lit up by AV software. Just imagine for a second how ridiculous it would be to try and spread your virus through an obscure game mod that maybe 10k people play. Meanwhile, millions of old people are opening attachments titled "happybirthday.bat".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So I've been playing vanilla Rome 2 as Rome and things have been going great as I've now conquered everything around the Mediterranean aside from Libya, Egypt, and Syria. It's 140 BC with the standard 1 turn per year and I still don't understand how politics work in this game at all. I control like half the senate I guess and the Civil War meter is empty. What does any of this poo poo mean? I haven't done any inter-family interactions. Meanwhile I'm making 20k gold per turn with 12 full stack legions so I'm doing something right.

Politics and a family tree system were two features I was really excited about for Rome 2 and in the end I completely forgot they even existed (the family tree doesn't even exist as far as I can recall!) because they seemed so utterly inconsequential and irrelevant to the actual game :sigh:

I've only played the prologue for Attila so far but from the looks of things there is a family tree, the ability to marry/divorce, the ability to promote particular characters to central roles in the provinces, adopt characters into the family, steal from them etc and I'm hoping that it will have a significant impact on the game.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So is there some function in place in vanilla Rome 2 to bring on the Principate?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I've been playing R2 and M2 a bit more lately, and at this point, I wish they'd just continue like they are with Warhammer and drop the fluff with the campaign maps. I'm enjoying that R2 and M2 let me build up whatever, wherever I want. It just got really bloated and badly-designed in Attila, with a whole lot of features that I felt were hastily implemented and unbalanced. On top of that enemies do whatever they can to avoid battles by playing tag and only attacking what they can thoroughly auto-resolve in their favor. I play Civ and Paradox games and stuff when I want a good grand strategy. I play TW when I want to play gigantic RTS battles randomized by a diet grand strategy scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

With binary power states you want to have as much power as possible, with Rome and Carthage you want your house to be between 25 and 50%

The bigger you get the harsher the penalties will be regarding rival faction's promotions, bribes and assassination plots against your family members.

Civil wars take out all your non-family members (i think other house romans also stay with you) and give them mirror match armies of your faction. It's kinda interesting because if you've built up an elite and sexy army you'll get an elite and sexy army to fight with in the late-game, but the politics game is so terrible you can literally avoid civil wars just by playing regularly and ignoring politics.