Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Count Chocula posted:

The ocean is awesome. It's a terrifying environment with strange creatures and real-life Leviathans and Cthulhus and stuff. What was that Warren Ellis' written videogame about it? With submarines? You can have barbarian cultures and high-tech sea pods and stuff. Even Waterworld was fun.

Hostile Waters, although that was more the "aliens" than anything else. It's obvious that the literal Illuminati are the worst individuals in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Josef bugman posted:

I always just think "Has there ever been a water level in a game that I have enjoyed the most" and the answer is usually "no". Being in water is good fun, but it's also a real arse and a half if you want to actually do anything.

Being on boats is different, but the sea itself never seems like the most fun place to be in if you want to do something. Not least because violence underwater is rather hard to do.

Vashj'ir in WoW is great, as is the Jade Sea in Guild Wars (not actually underwater).

Count Chocula posted:

The ocean is awesome. It's a terrifying environment with strange creatures and real-life Leviathans and Cthulhus and stuff. What was that Warren Ellis' written videogame about it? With submarines? You can have barbarian cultures and high-tech sea pods and stuff. Even Waterworld was fun.

Mega Man X, Shovel Knight, and rear end Creed: Black Flag had good water levels. Plus all those cool ocean exploration games!

Subnautica comes to mind.

I personally love the ocean and underwater settings, and regret that it's so rare to see a game do much with it let alone focus on it.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I've not read this one, but it takes place underwater so maybe it'll be interesting to people?

Fate Worlds: Deep Dark Blue

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Don't get me wrong, I actually like the idea of settings set in weird environments, but there has to be some reason to engage with it more deeply (get it?) and Blue Planet has its unobtainium you have to dive down under to get, and there's sea mining and fishing and all that, but, you know, nothing that really felt engaging to me other than playing a space marine mammal. The thing is, they were going hard sci-fii, so there isn't any of the obvious exciting hooks you would have like an alien civilization or alien ruins to interact with. There's all your standard human intrigue and conflict in a hostile environment, and you could probably do something with a survival emphasis, but I think you'd have to emphasize the "one oxygen unit away from crushing death" tension somewhere in the mechanics.

I think one of the problems with the sea as a setting is that played realistically is that physics ruins a lot of undersea fun. I toyed with the idea of a 3.5 underwater game aaages ago, and realizing having most of the setting be realistic elf-crushing lightless depths would have been overtly limiting. The other challenge is basically dealing with a 3D setting where everybody flies, but that's more of a d20 balance / tactical question. I also worried about a lot of the setting seeming "samey" without the same distinct weather patterns and regions you see on land. All of which can be overcome, of course, but seaborne settings have certain challenges that designers have to deal with.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
D20 has a way of mercilessly crushing the life out of any kind of unusual fun thing you want to do with it.

A game that considers things like the difference between land and underwater action, cetaceans using drones, et al. and makes them simple and fun could be great. In the same way that Torchbearer takes all the logistical details of Basic D&D and turns them into abstract, but easy-to-track mechanics. Blue Planet seems not to be that game.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 15, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I also worried about a lot of the setting seeming "samey" without the same distinct weather patterns and regions you see on land. All of which can be overcome, of course, but seaborne settings have certain challenges that designers have to deal with.

Aquatic settings have a huge variety of environments, ecologies, and geography to play with, so I wouldn't hold that against underwater settings. I have issues with the game Subnautica, but it's 90% underwater and does a great job providing varied and interesting underwater environments - very little in that game is samey.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Josef bugman posted:

I always just think "Has there ever been a water level in a game that I have enjoyed the most" and the answer is usually "no". Being in water is good fun, but it's also a real arse and a half if you want to actually do anything.

Being on boats is different, but the sea itself never seems like the most fun place to be in if you want to do something. Not least because violence underwater is rather hard to do.

Ristar is a notable exception here, but that's mostly because going in water gave you total freedom of movement and let you just jet in arbitrary directions.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012
After finally closing the door on GURPS Banestorm (the core book of it, at least; still have the island of death priests and zombie boners to cover at some point) and engaging in a period of not doing much at all, I recently started playing Fallout 4.

A lot.

And you know what all that Fallout reminded me of?

THIS little poo poo. No, I never forgot Exodus: Post-Apocalyptic Roleplaying Game. I've just been waiting for the time when it felt right to return to it.

Glutton Creeper Games has put out an assload of small adventures as well as the "Overseer's Guide" since I covered the Southwest Wasteland Guide, but at the moment my only plans are to finish up what I started with the Wasteland Bestiary (which is going to be a post at most due to the fact that a vast majority of the things in it are just regular animals beyond a few original creatures and serial-numbers-filed-off versions of most famous Fallout beasts) and the Texas Guide.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Godbound

Divine Powers

Words - or rather the Words of Creation for their full title - are your domains, your power sets, your skill trees and whatever other fancy name you can come up with. With 26 to pick from, I tink I have to split this one off into multiple posts.

Apotheosis

Not the first Word in alphabetical order, but I'll tackle it separate from the others, as it is missing a couple features of the other Words and really works more like a list of Class Abilities.

As mentioned last time, Gifts of the Apotheosis Word are gained automatically as a Godbound levels up. They gradually make him more of a proper deity by gaining various abilities relating to worshippers, starting with a small cult and eventually building up a state religion.
A worshipper is - little surprise here - an intelligent being that has pledged its allegiance to you. The pledge has to happen knowlingly and willingly, at least most of the time. You can threaten or pressure someone into worship, but you can't just wave your hand and mind control him to do so.

One can never be a worshipper of more than one Godbound, so a worshipper praying to a group of Godbound like the PCs as a whole (which the game calls a pantheon for obvious reasons) will instead become a worshipper of the pantheon member that best suits him, even if he is not aware of it.
A Godbound can always see if someone is a worshipper of him, but he can't see if he has been naughty or nice, nor does he get a mental notification if his worshipper count gets up.
It should be noted that a worshipper can't actually stop being a worshipper, and he has to find a new Godbound to worship instead. This is pretty important as Godbound gain a few ways to screw with traitors.
One can also worship beings of similar celestial power, like one of the few remaining Made Gods.

One of the niceties of being a worshipper is that your soul with remain with your Godbound upon death, and you will only land in Hell if the Godbound feels like being a dick to you, or if he gets killed himself before dropping your soul on a paradise (which will be covered later).

If you're not into being worshipped, you can instead choose to become a self-sufficient deity, ignoring the entire Word. But more on that later.

With all that out of the way, your first step towards Apotheosis already starts at level 2, when you gain Receive the Incense of Faith. This one does nothing more than to allow you to gain worshippers in the first place.
Level 3 gives you Sanctify Shrine. Now whatever temples and shrines your followers have can be sanctified, allowing you to perceive everything goin on there and use your powers as if you were present. As you gain levels, your worshippers must spend more and more Wealth to keep the place sanctified. A dirty little shrine in the middle of nowhere just doesn't cut it after a while.
The very same level also grants you the lovely Smite the Apostate, allowing you to instantly kill a worshipper or inflict him with an arbitrary curse that lasts for as long as you want. Basically the Gift for Greek and Old Testament Gods.
Level 4 brings us Hear Prayer, the Bruce Almighty Gift. You can hear the prayers of your worshippers, and can subtly communicate with them.
Perceive the Petitioner is a level 5 Gift that lets you see through the eyes of your worshipper. I can imagine lords and other officials to be really paranoid if someone of a foreign faith is around.
Level 6 unlocks Mark of the Prophet, which lets you play Dominions or Age of Mythology (if you play the Atlanteans), because you can now "upgrade" a number of worshippers equal to your level into disciples, with one acting as your high priest. The exact effect varies on whether or not you have the free or paid version of the rules (the latter offering more customization as that one has rules for creation heroic mortals), but suffice to say that this lets you turn your favorite and/or most loyal NPCs into mortal badasses that can actually hold up their own in a fight.
Level 7 ups the paranoia of Perceive the Petitioner with Attend the Faithful. You can instantly teleport to any praying worshipper and hang around for a scene, even if you're currently on a different plane of existance.
Level 8 brings us the final Gift of Apotheosis: To Bless the Nations. This Gift ties into the faction rules covered later, and it allows you to either buff or debuff the actions of a faction that is composed of a sufficiently large number of your worshippers.

The other Words

We built this temple on Words and Gifts.

A new Godbound starts out with three Words right out of the gate, and he has 6 points to spend on Gifts and additional Words. The most expensive thing to buy are of course new Words at 3 points (which is quite a bit as you only gain 2 additional points each level up). Gifts either cost 1 or 2 points, depending on whether they are a more basic Lesser Gift or a more powerful Greater Gift.
If you really, really want a certain Lesser Gift, but don't want the Word associated with it, you can purchase it anyways if you pay an extra point (which gets refunded if you ever gain the proper Word) and can come up with a reason for how you can replicate the effect with your current Words. The whole Word/Gift system also lends itself to reskinning and homebrewing.

So, what do you get form having a Word, aside from access to its Gifts? Well, each Word comes with a permanent effect or two, usually dealing with immunities or boosting an Attribute related to the Word (setting it to 16, or to 18 if it was already 16 or higher). Some come with fancier effects, but we'll get to that in due time.

Another handy thing you get are Miracles. Miracles require you to commit Effort for a day amd allow you to replicate the effect of any Gift of the Word you haven't bought yet, dispell enemy Gifts or generall ignore effects if your Word would work as a logical counter in that situation, smite foes and generally do a lot of stuff similar to a Wish spell. Breaking curses, splitting rivers, causing avalanches, the works. There's a whole page of stuff you can do with Miracles.
The downside of Miracles (aside from committing Effort for that long) is that their effects aren't as long-lasting as if you'd done it the proper way (provided the changes caused aren't plausible enough to support themselves, aka that avalanche won't magically retcon itself), but more on that later.

Gifts come in four different varieties: Constant Gifts are passive effects that are always active, Instant Gifts don't cost an action to use and can be used at any time during a round, On Turn Gifts are similar but can only be used on your own turn, and Action Gifts naturally require you to spend your action. Some Actions are further classified as Smite, meaning they are so exhaustive to use that you can't use the same Smite Gift two rounds in a row.
Most Instant and Action Gifts require you to commit Effort for at least the current scene, if not the whole day. On Turn Gifts typically act as ongoing effects you can turn on or off during your turn, committing Effort for as long as they are on. It is therefore wise to always have a few points of Effort ready to fuel the right combination of Gifts.

A common Constant Gift for tanky Words grants you a natural Armor Class of 3, like heavy armor without drawbacks. This doesn't stack with shields however, so heavy armor can still have its use if you really need an AC of 2. Also popular are Gifts that boost your attacks, like increasing the damage die or making every weapon or natural attack deal magic damage.
Gifts that enhance your normal attacks can do anything from maximizing damage, causing an auto-hit on anything but a natural 1, or letting you apply your Fray Dice to every lesser foe in the area.

Lesser foes have already been mentioned. In this category falls everyone with Hit Dice equal or lower than your level (or Hit Dice for other creatures). There are a couple exceptions, like how Godbound themselves never count as lesser foes, no matter how much more powerful their opponent is.

Area effects work a bit differently here in that some allow you to either automatically hit everyone in the area without saving throws, or you can choose to spare your allies as the cost of allowing the targets to save to avoid the effect as well.

With the exception of these area effects, many Gifts just automatically work on lesser foes, while worthy ones can usually resist with a Save, or no-sell with Effort.

Something that comes up in a lot of Words are Gifts that grant some form of Invincible Defense. This makes you and your mount completely immune from attacks or effects of a specific source, which is generally narrow enough for worthy opponents (they generally only really work against mundane effects) to avoid Exalted's Perfect Defense shenanigans.

A really nifty thing about Words is that each come with their own box containing a short story of a Godbound doing awesome stuff with the Word, followed with a little explanation of how the Godbound did all of that in game terms. I'll cherry pick the best to quote, though you might find other favorites.

Universal Gifts

These are Gifts that can be bought for any Word (except Apotheosis, of course), making some of them good candidates for Miracles:

Divine Wrath is your bread and butter Smite Action attack, dealing your level in 1d8 damage to a single target within sight in whatever way makes sense for the Word in question. This is your thunderbolt, your kamehameha, your limit break, you using the sun for an orbital laser attack.
Corona of Fury is the multi-target version of Divine Wrath, dealing half as much damage over a 30-foot-radius, using the above optional selective mode.
Both of these attack Gifts come with the caveat that they can't do anything against a target with the same Word as itself.

Effort of the Word increases your Effort pool by one. You can take this once for each Word. Influence of the Word works the same and increases your Influence by two. Influence is a sort of long-term version of Effort I will cover later.

Excellence of the Word can only be ever taken once, and it boosts one of your Attributes to 18, with possible (more or less visual) side effects related to the Word in question. So if your beefed-up CON comes from the Earth Word, you might have stone-like skin or something.

Alacrity

Aka Speed, aka Gotta Go Fast. This Word is all about being quick, so not only can you boost your DEX, but you are also incapable of being surprised in combat.

The very first Gift is the Constant Gift All Directions as One, which already lets you screw around with physics. You ignore rough terrain, can walk on walls or ceilings with no problem, and nobody can ever push you off of something.
If you want to emulate a super hero, you can either be Nightcrawler with Flickering Advance (teleport on sight range) or Flash with Mist on Water (ignore solid matter for a turn, which I guess can be explained by vibrating).

The Storm Breaks further focuses on your speed by letting you pay Effort to get a bonus round at the start of combat.

Swifter than the Sun is a real troll move in that it lets you move twice as fast as either you or your pursuer, whoever is faster. Walk Between the Rain grants you the above mentioned AC 3, and makes you immune against stuff hitting you on accident (ala a collapsing building will not hit you, but a trap will).

Greater Gifts give us All-Encompassing Presence, the On Turn combat version of Flickering Advance that basically let you be anywhere around 100 ft. of your current location during your turn, as long as you could actually reach that point.
Faster Than Thought is your main way of gaining multiple actions, as it lets you interrupt someone's action with an extra turn of yours. You can't spam it as it is a Smite Gift, and comitting Effort for the scene can add up quickly.
Untouchable on the other hand makes you pretty much immune against physical attacks as long as you keep committing Effort, as any foe need a natural 20 to hit you.

Artifice

The Word of builders, smiths, mad scientists and even profilers. A Godbound with this Word can create most mundane objects in a single round if he has the required materials, and he generall counts as 100 workers per level for crafting purposes.

Naturally, most Gifts have to do with objects. You can repair them (Faultless Repair), remote control them (Command the Wheels) or analyze them down to their origin (Mark the Maker). Playing alchemist is also possible with Transmuter.

Hammerhand is a nifty offensive Gift that turns all your weapons and natural attacks into magical 1d10 attacks, which also deal straight damage against constructs and inanimate objects.

To kick the Word's passive ability into high gear, you can get Ten Thousand Tools to chrun out an object per round while still being able to take another action, or you can replace 1,000 workers per level.

Greater Gifts include The Maker's Eyes, which works a lot like Sanctify Shrine except it doesn't require upkeep and works on every object you have created. Perpetual Perfection makes all of your creations immune against ordinary wear and tear, and any weapon or armor you make is automatically magical, with a +1 bonus for mortal users.
Reverence of Steel is pretty tanky in that you can not only no-sell hits from crafted weapons, but any clothing or armor you create will give you an AC 3 without drawbacks. You can also support allies with tailor-made Medium and Heavy armor that penalizes one less Saving Throw.

Beasts

quote:

The tribe is starving, and the Lomites have encircled the butte.
She can get out whenever she wills it, but her people cannot
follow. At the edge of the outcrop, she looks down on the gray
gathered hosts and she raises her voice in a fluting song. The
sky is speckled with wings as a thousand birds dive down to
await her kindred's knives and fires. In the flurry of feathers
and talons, who will notice one more hawk soaring away?

The Word for all your Ranger and Druid needs. Thankfully, shapeshifting is handled quite easy in Godbound: You only gain the creature's movement mode by default, as well as an improved natural damage die based on its size (aka a bunch of dirt farmers won't get any more dangerous by being transformed into rhinos, though that is probably always good for some confusion). Some creatures might allow you to commit extra Effort to gain their special abilities.
As it is fitting for the Word, you can talk to animals.

You can communicate with animals from afar (Distant Howl), call them en masse (Scent of the Prey), gain perfect sight, hearing and smell (Eyes of the Cat), and get yourself an Animal Companion that you can just instantly resurrect with Effort if it dies (Link of Unity).

Red in Tooth and Claw gives you magical 1d10 natural attacks that negate natural protection, hitting any kind of beast as if it had an AC of 9. If someone thinks he can get you with mental effects, you can use Untamed Will can make you do anything against your wishes.

The Greater Gift Many-Skinned Mantle is your go-to Gift for shapeshifting, and you can even use it to polymorph others. Conquer the Beast Within lets you spare a defeated foe to later affect him with your Gifts as if he were an animal, and Lord of the Wild makes it so that animals will instinctively follow your orders, with no sense of self-preservation. Magical or intelligent critters can save to resist, and they aren't suicidal even if they fail.

Bow

quote:

In a distant castle there is a tower, and within that tower, there
is an iron door. Beyond that iron door is a chamber, and in this
chamber stand twenty strong soldiers. Beyond these soldiers
there is a sanctum, where a wicked lord lies on his bed. And
in this lord's chest there is an arrow, because neither distance,
nor castles, nor towers, nor soldiers can guard a man's life from
the arrow that Altan Khan shoots.

This is a Word you don't want to mess with. You are a master with any ranged weapon, if you bother with a weapon at all, that is. You can do all sorts of crazy stunts, but more on that in a second.
As passive ability, you always deal magical damage with ranged attacks, never hit anyone on accident, never run out of ammo, and gain the hammerspace-like ability of summoning any ranged weapon you've used before (which among other things solves the problem of throwing weapons not combing back to you).

Your enemies think they can attack you with arrows till you look like a porcupine? Well, Bar the Red Descent makes you immune againt normal projectiles, and even magical ones will at most do 1 damage. Doesn't do anything on spells and similar effects, though.
Bolt of Invincible Skill lets you win just about any competition by giving you perfect accuracy against unaware or inanimate targets (like the lord in the quote above), no matter how unlikely the shot is. By Committing Effort for a scene, you can also have your next attack hit on anything but a fumble and deal max damage.

Don't want to bother with lesser foes? Well, Feathered Tempest lets you always auto-hit againts them, and overkill damage can spread wildly as, I guess you do the Captain America thing of bouncing your projectile all over the place.

None Beyond Reach is one of the Gifts used in the above quote. All of your attacks can hit as far as you can see by default, and if you can find out someone's rough location (give or take a few feet), you have potentially infinite range as long as the target is still in the same realm as you.
Omnipresent Reach is another way to gain sight range to all of your ranged attacks. All of your ranged attacks also deal 1d10 damage (more than a ranged weapon could deal otherwise). You can even eschew weapons altogether and just fling around blasts or force bolts. Or you can be like Mami from Madoka Magica and just summon weapons out of thin air.
The Seeking Flight lets you mark a target, dropping its AC to 9 and letting you ignore any cover between it and you, as long as your shot can find a way through.

For Greater Gifts, you can use the Inexorable Shaft do max out your damage and punch through any non-magical obstacle that's in the way (another Gift used in the quote). Lord of That Which Falls lets you play Jedi by redirecting ranged attacks from just about everyone who doesn't have the Bow Word as well. Rain of Sorrow lets you murder the crap out of Mobs (a horde of cannon fodder enemies, abstracted to a single "creature") with straight damage and your level as a damage bonus, or you just hit ever lesser foe within sight with your Fray Dice. Arrows. Arrows everywhere.

Next Time: More Words. Command your allies, or be a dick with Deception. So far nothing for Overlord Zetta, but we'll get there in due time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Godlike, Chapter V, Part III

The last update concluded with the Nazi invasion of France. But it’s always darkest before the dawn.

5/11/1940, Dawn in the Netherlands: A Dutch partisan named Jos Keller manifested a potent Talent. Called Daegal(“Dawn”) he could create blinding lights or total darkness over a large area. In a single attack near the Hague, his small unit killed over 100 Germans and 40 Dutch collaborators with the aid of his power. He would go on to wreak havoc on Nazi operations across the Netherlands, kidnapping and executing sympathizers and even derailing trains.

Meanwhile, Hitler continued to deny any possibility that anyone without pure Aryan blood could develop parahuman powers. As a result, his high command was unable to develop a plan to stop him or even classify him as a threat.

quote:

Daegal(“Dawn”)
1921-1944

Powers: Daegalcould control the intensity of light. He could create blinding flashes or total darkness in an area about the size of a city block. He was immune to his own powers and could see through the effects of his powers normally. He could also affect multiple targets, and create effects that persisted for some time after he was gone.

Background: Jos Keller was the son of a Dutch chimney sweep. When the Nazis invaded, Jos wanted to flee while his father, a socialist, counseled patience. His father was rounded up and died in a concentration camp in 1942.

Keller discovered his powers as a resistance fighter. Setting fuses in a sewer tunnel, he wished he had more light to see by--and suddenly did. With the aid of his powers, he fused several resistance cells into a sizable unit and fought the Nazis all over the Netherlands.

Keller refused offers to join the British and be trained as a Talent commando, but he did participate in Operation Market Garden. He was killed by the Nazi Talent Der Tragheit (“The Inertia”) in a skirmish on his way to assist Allied forces in Nijmegen. Robbed of its inertia, his body flew into space and burnt up in the atmosphere.

5/12/1940, a Wolf is Loosed in Belgium: As the Panzers rolled through Belgium, many would-be rebels tried to stop their advance. But civilians armed with old guns could do little against the Nazi war machine...until Jean Neuman became a Talent. Soon occupied Belgium was covered in pamphlets labeling him “armed and dangerous, do not approach.” Neuman was armed, but it mattered little. When his guns were empty, he beat enemies to death with them and pulled a knife. When his blades were broken off in the bodies of his enemies, he tore the next to pieces with his hands. The man the Belgians called Vevel (“Wolf”) was singlehandedly defeating entire infantry units.

By the time Vevel was active, the international press was actively on the lookout for news of new Talents, even as Hitler continued to deny their existence. The United States had already heard the story of the “Winoga Wonder,” a Wisconsinite girl named Mary Steiner, whose parents faked an elaborate series of poltergeist phenomena to try to claim the prize offered by Howard Hughes. Numerous stories across war-torn Europe told of supernatural creatures rising to fight the Nazis. Surely some of these were genuine Talents--but ones who died before they could became as famous as the likes of Daegal and Pevnost.

quote:

Vevel (“The Wolf”)
1921-1975

Powers: When under attack, Vevel entered a fugue state in which all threats were eliminated without mercy. In this state, he had superhuman strength, speed, and fighting skill. After battle he had no memory of what had occurred. When not aware that he was in danger, he was completely normal and vulnerable.

Background: Jean Neuman was an ardent pro-Soviet communist who was expelled from the University of Brussels for instigating riots and openly supporting the Soviet invasion of Finland. He returned to his hometown of Hasselt and worked as a baker, spending all his money to stockpile weapons and canned food in a bunker in the hills. He maintained loose communications with other Belgian communists who were wary of his paranoia, but shared his distrust of the Nazis.

When Germany invaded, he joined the resistance in Hasselt, a stop on the major road leading straight to Brussels. They didn’t stand a chance. Neuman’s power manifested when he was finally cornered in a ruined church, scared and out of ammo. Neuman blacked out. When he regained his senses, he was surrounded by the mangled and dismembered remains of over 40 German soldiers. (He had shoved his shotgun straight through one of them.) His fingers were raw from tearing men limb to limb with his bare hands, but he was otherwise unharmed.

Neuman worked mainly with Belgian resistance fighters and remained aloof from Allied forces, but he often provided them with intelligence and participated in a couple of missions.

Vevel personally killed over 700 Germans in the war and became a national hero. He drew many people to communism, but after the war, he became rabidly anti-Communist as Stalin’s atrocities came to light. He participated in many protest marches again the Soviet and Chinese governments. He died in Brussels of lung cancer in 1975 and was buried as a national hero.

5/14/1940, the Summoner Haunts Nazi France: As Germany stabilized its occupation in France, it billetted troops in small towns, enforcing martial law with brutality. Few French civilians risked defying well-armed soldiers. One man did. A week after the invasion began, the first German officer turned up dead, his throat slit. In another week he was followed by 8 more. The killer they called L’Invocateur (“The Summoner”) often left his victims disfigured with ritualistic symbols or mangled beyond recognition.

Thanks to the general chaos, news of L’Invocateur escaped France within days, even including a photograph of a murder scene. It made front-page news across the world. The killer was only spotted due to a mistake: two German soldiers opened a locked room to find a man carrying a knife, drenched in blood. Held at gunpoint, he simply disappeared.

[quote]
L’Invocateur (“The Summoner”)
1921-1961

Powers: L’Invocateur could become invisible (along with his clothes and gear) for as long as he wished--as long as he kept his eyes closed. He learned how to fight and move silently while blind.

Background: Luc Besont was a farmhand for a family outside Trélon, France. He watched helplessly as Nazis robbed the family, sexually assaulted their daughters, and cast them into the barn while they took over the house. Enraged, Besont snuck into the German officer’s room with a knife. When the officer returned, he was not alone, but had six other German soldiers with him. Besont simply closed his eyes and waited for the end.

Petrified with fear, Besont stood there for two hours with his eyes tightly shut while the Germans conversed with one another. During that time, he calmed down a bit and supposed he might be one of those “Talents” he had heard about. When the other men left and the officer retired to sleep, Besont slit his throat.

Besont soon discovered the nature of his powers through trial and error. Though the family begged him to stay, he went west with plans to assassinate as many Nazi invaders as he could. He killed 63 officers and 35 enlisted men during the war. Numerous Allied groups tried to recruit him, but L’Invocateur worked alone.

After the war, Besont moved to United States and was supposedly recruited by the CIA. He was shot to death by East German police while trying to cross a border checkpoint using his powers.

5/19/1940, Fire of the SS: Finally, the Nazis discovered another Übermensch among their ranks while driving French forces from occupied territory. Called Feuerzauber (“Fire Magic”) by the German press, he diffused any kinetic attack against him into a blast of flame. He was returned to Berlin where he became a favourite of Hitler and fast friends with Der Flieger.

Interested in his potential as a one-man shock troop unit, RuSHA SA created a scenario in which 200 Polish prisoners were armed and set to defend a perimeter against Feuerzauber. Bullets were useless and a grenade volley only knocked him down, leaving no Polish survivors. The experiment was declared a success.

quote:

Feuerzauber (“Fire Magic”)
1910-1943

Powers: Feuerzauber unconsciously dispersed any kinetic force that struck him as a wave of heat. When struck, a sheet of flame erupted from his body, proportional to the force of the attack. He was immune to his own powers and to other sources of fire and extreme heat.

Background: Ernst Karsten was a decorated Obersturmbannführer of the SS, an veteran of Poland and Norway. He was a fanatical Nazi and favoured for his classic Aryan features.

In May 1940, he was assigned to coordinate support for tank units in the Twelfth Infantry in France. When his unit came under artillery fire, only he survived. Karsten ran back to the German lines while being shelled by mortars. Whenever he was struck, a blast of flame erupted from his body in all directions, destroying his clothes but leaving him unharmed.

After putting some pants on, Karsten was returned to Berlin to enjoy a short stint as a darling of Hitler before redeploying. Karsten and Konrad Rahn (Der Flieger) became close friends, and were often pictured together in Nazi propaganda.

On January 28, 1943, Karsten was killed in Stalingrad during an assault on a oil storage facility on the Volga. Although he was immune to both the Soviet artillery and the fire that erupted in the facility, he and all his men died of asphyxiation.

5/22/1940, the Ghost of Yungping: A Chinese farm boy who defied the Japanese survived execution when an officer’s katana passed harmlessly through his neck. The boy escaped, leaving Japanese authorities to contain rumours of the ghost of Yungping City. At this point, news about China was still filler as far as the Western press was concerned, and interest was only forthcoming after Japan declared war on the United States--and had pressed the “ghost of Yungping” into their service.

quote:

Zhao Zheng (“The Ghost”)
1925-1960

Powers: Zhao Zheng was completely immaterial. His power was permanent and could not be turned off. He was able to touch and lift objects, making them immaterial like himself, thus allowing him to eat, drink, and breathe normally.

Background: Chu Tso-Tsin worked on his family’s farm outside Yungping, China. He became increasingly anti-Japanese as the atrocities of the Manchukuo state intensified. His parents were tortured and murdered when he was 14, for the crime of hanging New Years’ banners that included English characters.

In the spring of 1940, while delivering vegetables to market, Tso-Tsin refused to bow to a Japanese officer who was demonstrating Chinese obedience to a visiting dignitary. He was dragged off to be beheaded. Chu’s power manifested and the officer’s sword passed right through him.

He fled the city, but the Japanese soon brought him under control. They rounded up his remaining family and passed threats along through those who knew him. Chu turned himself in and cooperated with the Japanese, acting as a spy. He could simply walk behind enemy lines for scouting missions, or into Allied bases to steal documents, immune to all harm.

In the end, Chu’s family was executed anyway as the Allies closed in on Japan. He was pardoned of all crimes--Douglas MacArthur even testified on his behalf. The haunted young man returned to work his family’s farm.

He was found dead in his home in 1960. He had committed suicide with a kai-gunto katana, a gift from MacArthur.

5/25/1940, Miracles at Dunkirk: After cornering the remaining Allied forces at Dunkirk, Hitler approved one of the most hotly-debated decisions of the war: a three-day halt in their advance. The halt gave the Allies time to plan one of the most audacious escapes in the history of warfare: an amphibious evacuation of over 300,000 troops. Pevnost personally evacuated 5,000 men using his power before collapsing from fatigue. He was hospitalized for weeks amid fears he wouldn’t survive, though he eventually made a full recovery.

On the last day of the evacuation, Captain Jonathan Lear was one of the few men who stayed behind, knowing it meant certain death, to allow others to evacuate. But he didn’t die. As Germans approached the beach, a stray thought tempted him to jump into the water and try the 25-mile swim to Dover. Instead, he jumped across the English Channel.

British and American citizens were ecstatic at the discovery of “Jumping Johnny,” the first Talent from an English-speaking country. He immediately became a symbol of hope for the Allies and an overnight celebrity--the press wanted to know everything about him from his family background to his favourite food to whose shirts he wore.

quote:

Jumping Johnny
1907-1944

Powers: Lear could leap incredibly high, covering 27 miles in a single bound. However, he could only leap exactly 27 miles. He landed with the force (and sound) of a bombshell. He was immune to the velocity and impact of his leaps, but only at the moment of impact.

Background: Jonathan Lear was the son of a prosperous and well-connected British family. His father and uncle were both members of Parliament and his brother served in the High Command. He wanted to be an officer from childhood, and joined the army right out of Monmouth School. A natural leader and tactician, he quickly rose to the rank of First Lieutenant.

Lear fought at the Battle of Dunkirk and sent his men to be evacuated ahead of himself, staying behind to hold off the Panzers. When the Germans broke through the lines, he leapt across the English channel, almost killing a group of men on the beach at Dover. The first native British Talent, he was an instant national hero.

“Jumping Johnny,” also called “Springheel Jack,” was used as a long-range scout in North Africa and Germany. He could cover hundreds of miles in a few hours, and became adept at map-making. He was killed when he accidentally landed right in a Waffen-SS ammo dump outside Stadtkyll, Germany. His impact ignited the ammo, killing a hundred people with a blast that was heard for over 200 miles.

5/28/1940, Belgium Surrenders: Wishing to spare his people further suffering, King Leopold III formally surrendered Belgium to the Nazis. He stayed behind while his Cabinet fled to Britain and retained control of the Belgian Congo.

6/10/1940, Italy Joins the War: Benito Mussolini declared war against Britain and France and launched a transalpine invasion of southern France. This was more a gesture of camaraderie, by a much smaller force, than a serious military development. But French troops repulsed the Italians from the mountains, humiliating the Italian army.

6/21/1940, the Life and Death of Bellerophon: In the small Lithuanian city of Alytus, a powerful Talent calling himself Bellerophon wrested control from the Soviet occupiers. With superhuman strength and speed and the ability to sense the weakness in any target, he could destroy men, tanks, and buildings with his bare hands or a knife. Bellerophon declared himself the saviour of Lithuania in a bold radio address.

By this time, the British SSO had begun to consider operations built around Talent powers. They devised a plan wherein Pevnost would parachute into Alytus and use his power to arm the Lithuanians with captured German equipment, creating a rift between Germany and the Soviet Union. Churchill scrapped the plan, unwilling to risk Pevnost.

Days later, the Soviets crushed Alytus with an artillery barrage that killed Bellerophon and most of the population.

quote:

Bellerophon
1920-1940

Powers: Bellerophon was parahumanly strong, fast, and tough. He also had the ability to see the weak point in any object, maximizing the force of his attacks. He could split stone with a punch and disable tanks with a knife.

Background: Salet Miceweski was born in Bucharest and raised in Lithuania. His father was a slaughterhouse worker, and Miceweski kept house for his mother, who suffered from lupus. A well-educated Greek, his mother made the most of her situation by teaching her son several languages.

When the Soviets occupied his home city of Altyus, Salet was furious at the lack of resistance. He vented his anger on the sides of beef in his father’s slaughterhouse. One day, he discovered he could punch straight through a frozen side of beef--and then a steel door.

Miceweski began his career as a resistance fighter by killing two Soviet soldiers with his bare hands. He later organized a riot that engulfed the city and overthrew the occupying Soviets. But only four days later, the Soviet 8th Army blanketed Altyus with a rolling artillery barrage, killing Bellerophon and nearly everyone in the city.

6/22/1940, the Fall of France: Overcome by the Nazis and put on the run to avoid capture, the French government was forced to sign a humiliating ”armistice” in the same rail car where Germany had formally surrended to the allies in 1918. Prime minister Reynaud resigned, leaving the armistice to be signed by his replacement, Philippe Pétain. The treaty divided France into an occupied zone and a “free” pro-fascist regime headed by Pétain.

6/30/1940, Special Directive One: Under orders from Stalin, the NKDV creates a special division, under Lavrentiy Beria’s direct supervision, to search Soviet territories for native Talents. Beria, eager to please, systematically tortured thousands of victims culled from prisons and labor camps in the hopes of creating Talents. Over 3,000 people were tortured to death before he met with success.

7/3/1940, the Battle of Mers el-Kébir: Afraid that the Nazis could utilize the French fleet, the British cornered them in a North African port with demands that they defect to the Allies, scuttle their ships, or be destroyed. They chose the latter. Although several French ships escaped to Toulon, it was a great victory for the British.

7/10/1940, the Battle of Britain: Preparing for the invasion of Britain, the Nazis first needed air supremacy. Göring assured Hitler that the Luftwaffe would crush the RAF in a matter of days. Der Flieger joined German bombers as they attacked Falmouth and Swansea, and killed 15 British pilots in 3 days. The British endured. One British ace, Timothy Gooden, said “He’s just a man, no matter what they say. One day, something we put up will be fast enough to catch him, and then it will be my chance to take him for a turn.” His words would prove prophetic.

8/30/1940, the Day of the Super-man: RuSHA SA announced the discovery of 26 new Übermenschen in August alone. August 30 was made a special holiday, Übermenschtag, amid rallies across Germany. Allied strategists were terrified to see so many new Nazi Talents. It almost seemed as if the Nazis had discovered a way to create them.

During the course of the Battle of Britain, however, German bombing raids on British cities created 11 more British Talents. Soon they would have more Talents than any nation besides Germany.

9/7/1940, the Blitz: German bombing raids on London leave over 5,000 dead, 10,000 wounded, and massive destruction across the city. Propaganda leaflets dropped by Der Flieger only angered the British populace, but his performance in combat was nightmarish: he was far faster than any plane, defied physics with instant right-angle turns, and flew within meters of RAF fighters, ripping them apart with the shock front generated by his flight.

9/13/1940: After a series of humiliating blunders (including the death of Marshall Balbo by friendly fire), the Italian forces in North Africa launched a stunning coup against British holdings in Egypt, rolling over the undermanned positions with 14 tank divisions on the way to Alexandria and the Suez Canal.

9/27/1940, the Axis Forms: Germany, Italy, and Japan sign a mutual alliance, creating what Mussolini called “the Axis around which the world turned.” Adding Japan to the “Pact of Steel” was a deterrent to the United States entering the war and pressured European holdings in SE Asia.

10/7/1940: Hungary and Romania agreed to allow the Axis to arbitrate a border dispute over Romania. Axis generals responded by allotting large territories to Hungary and occupying Romania, which had already lost territory annexed by the Soviet Union. Mussolini was enraged by this “Silent Invasion” undertaken without so much as a by-your-leave. He planned an invasion of Greece, as much to spite Hitler as for any other reason.

10/10/1940, the Season of the Witch: The Romanian puppet regime had set about beating, pillaging, raping, and murdering anyone who opposed fascism. One of them, Antonina Ilescu, watched as her father’s skull was crushed by the rifle butts of the Iron Guard. At first, the thuggish guards were pleased at the sound of her screams. Then their ears bled. Then they burst. Antonina Ilescu leveled a city block and killed 40 people, soldier and civilian alike, with the power of her scream. She fled the country before she was discovered.

Antonina Ilescu was the world’s first known female Talent--and a fearsome Talent it was. RuSHA SA collected a great deal of data about the woman German survivors called Die Hexe (“The Witch”). They had never encountered an Überfrau before, and made plans to forcibly breed her with a loyal Übermensch in false hope of creating even more powerful offspring.

quote:

Die Hexe (“The Witch”)
1922-1943

Powers: Die Hexe could scream with devastating force, shattering stone and liquefying flesh. Besides its intensity, her power behaved like any other scream, so it was impossible to focus and difficult to control. At maximum effect it could flatten buildings and kill everyone within several hundred yards. She was immune to the effects of her power.

Background: Antonina Ilescu was a native of Bucharest who suddenly manifested her power when the Iron Guard beat her father to death in front of her. No witnesses survived. After a few weeks of hiding in the forest, she was taken in by a partisan camp. Mostly she helped by cleaning and cooking, but sometimes fought alongside the men, hiding her powers.

When ambushed by a Heer patrol in 1942, she shrieked, killing 22 enemy soldiers and deafening 3 of her fellow partisans. She spent the following year attacking Germans, called Die Hexe by the few who survived. The SS offered a bounty for her alive, sending special detachments to capture her for RuSHA SA.

Ilescu died as a result of conflicting orders. While Romanian forces had orders to capture her, other German soldiers had orders to shoot any female partisans on sight. On January 19, 1943, Ilescu was shot by a sniper and died three days later. She was 21.

10/28/1940, Italy Invades Greece Which Invades Italy: Angered that Hitler had invaded a region he regarded as part of his sphere of influence, Mussolini launched an invasion of Greece in a foolish plan to draw the British (who had a mutual assistance treaty with Greece) away from Egypt. Every aspect of the invasion was poorly planned, and the Greek Army pushed Italian troops back into Italian-occuped Albania, occupying part of it themselves. It was another humiliation for il Duce, whose bold plan to assert himself only made him militarily dependent on Germany.

11/5/1940, Roosevelt Reelected: President Franklin Roosevelt was reelected for an unprecedented 3rd term. Although the United States was still technically neutral, Roosevelt was rapidly preparing for war, bolstered by increasing popular support as news of invasion after invasion reached the public. He enacted a series of international programs to help other countries defend themselves in what was termed the “Arsenal of Democracy.” Still, some Americans favoured isolationism.

One vocal opponent was Charles Lindbergh, the famous aviator. He created a rabidly pro-Nazi isolationist group and, soon after Roosevelt’s reelection, moved to Germany and renounced his American citizenship. It was a great blow to American morale and a propaganda victory for Josef Goebbels, who featured Lindbergh at every opportunity.

11/10/1940, Rise of the Übermenschen: According to RuSHA SA records, on this date the population of Nazi Talents broke 400. Unlike the Soviet Union, where a justified atmosphere of paranoia prompted many Talents to hide their powers, the glory associated with being hailed as an Übermensch brought nearly all Talents into government service.

Meanwhile, Hitler still refused to hear of any “non-Aryan” Talents. RuSHA SA had already discovered several Jewish, Romani, and other “inferior” parahumans and dealt with them quietly.

11/11/1940, the British Attack Taranto: British torpedo bombers launch a surprise attack on Italian ships at anchor in Taranto, Italy, losing only 2 aircraft and severely damaging 3 battleships. The Italians remain pretty poo poo at this whole war thing.

11/14/1940, the Blitz of Coventry: Over three nights, Germans bomb the industrial city of Coventry, dropping hundreds of tons of high explosives. Although casualties were low, the city was reduced to rubble. The attack created 31 new British Talents, including the ever-popular Cormorant.

quote:

Cormorant
1908-1944

Powers: Cormorant’s Talent manifested as an invisible dragon he named ‘Mr. Mitts.” Mitts was the size of a horse, could fly, and breathed fire. Despite being invisible, Mitts was loud, left large footprints, and often wandered off getting into mischief, though he would usually obey Cormorant. Mitts was very protective of Cormorant, and often acted out against people that Cormorant disliked.

Background: Michael Foreman was an overachieving British postal pilot who set the point-to-point record on the London-Coventry-Edinburgh route in 1933. When war broke out, he volunteered for the RAF and went on to become an accomplished fighter ace, nicknamed “Eyeball,” one of the first Hawker Hurricane fighter pilots.

Foreman’s entire squadron was downed during the Blitz of Coventry. His plane collided with a German bomber and, as he bailed out, his parachute caught fire. He was the only one of his squadron to make it back alive, and not in his own plane.

Foreman returned to the 12th Fighter Command to explain that he had been saved by his invisible friend from childhood, a dragon named Mr. Mitts. And they believed him, as Mr. Mitts set about accidentally knocking down doors and tripping people. Although Foreman had no delusions that Mr. Mitts was more than a Talent manifestation, it made no difference to Mitts, who often acted on Foreman’s subconscious urges.

Foreman was transferred to the SSO and codenamed Cormorant, but he wasn’t there long. After an incident wherein Mitts destroyed the officers’ barracks when CO made Foreman run extra laps for being late, he was declared unfit for combat duty and discharged, whereupon he was transferred to the Army for diplomatic service, accompanying Churchill to major summits. President Roosevelt and Mr. Mitts were quite taken with one another, although his presence made Roosevelt’s bodyguards very nervous.

Foreman refused to end his career as a diplomatic and pleaded with anyone who would listen until he was reassigned. He became a skilled and effective Talent commando, participating in raids leading up to Operation Overlord. In June 1944, he landed in the first wave on Juno Beach and fought his way inland, where he was killed in action by artillery fire in Banville. To this day, locals wholeheartedly believe that the invisible Mr. Mitts still haunts the town.

11/20/1940, Hungary and Romania Join Axis: Hungary, having already enjoyed great territorial gains by siding with the Nazis, signed the Tripartite Act. Three days later, Ion Antonescu’s pro-fascist government joined as well, executing any who spoke against the regime or its allies.

12/9/1940, Italians Routed in Egypt: After studying Italian defenses, British General Wavell detected a gap and launched a surprise assault on Sidi Barrani. Although badly outnumbered, the British captured 140,000 prisoners of war and seized tons of supplies and equipment. Jumping Johnny and 3 other British Talents joined the battle, demoralizing Italian troops which are very rarely mentioned in Godlike without the word “demoralized” in front of the word “Italian.” The remaining demoralized Italian forces were pushed back to the Gulf of Sirte, and looked forward to 70 years of being called cowards because they had lovely equipment and even worse leadership.

By the end of January 1941, the British invasion of Eritrea was pushing the Italians toward Ethiopia. Strong points of resistance were crushed by Talent assaults including Cien and the Human Bullet.

1/29/1941, ABC-1: The military staff of America and Great Britain met in Washington for the ABC-1 conference to discuss mutual defense and the Lend-Lease bill under debate in Congress. Roosevelt secretly requested an information-sharing protocol on the Talent phenomenon, to which Churchill agreed. He lobbied hard for cooperation between the SSO and American research programs. Roosevelt and Churchill’s agreement ensured goodwill and a strong future for America’s Talent program.

2/8/1941, Bulgaria Signs Pact with Turkey: Germany convinced Bulgaria’s pro-Nazi government to sign a friendship pact with Turkey, with plans of using Bulgaria as a corridor to Greece and Yugoslavia. Less than a month later, Bulgaria would officially join the Axis and host large detachments of Heer and Luftwaffe forces.

2/12/1941, Rommel Reinforces Tunisia: Hitler sent Erwin Rommel, general of the newly-formed Afrika Korps, to reinforce the demoralized Italians. Arriving with 15 Übermenschen in tow, Rommel would spend the next 2 years reversing the tide of battle in Africa.

3/5/1941, the First Fallen Talent: Bernhard Siegling, the Nazi Talent Jäeger (“Hunter”) became the first parahuman casualty of the war after a battle with two Hawker Hurricanes over the Libyan Plateau. He was spotted on a scouting mission, and pursued over 200 miles before Flight Lieutenant Jeffrey Rotman blew him out of the air after an hour-long chase. Churchill declared Rotman the first “Uber-Ace” of the war, while Jäeger received a hero’s funeral in Berlin. Siegling’s funeral was conducted with great fanfare including films, monuments, a tomb designed by Josef Thorak, and vows of revenge by fellow Nazi Talents.

3/9/1941, Churchill Dispatches Talents to Alexandria: Eleven British Talents, the world’s first Talent commando group trained after their Talents’ manifestation, were transferred to General Wavell’s Alexandria Command. Secretly, this was a direct counter to Rommel’s Talent forces in North Africa.

3/11/1941, Lend-Lease Bill Passed: Congress approved a bill authorizing the president to lend, lease, or entitle war materiel to countries that, in his estimation, were defending the defense interests of the United States. The law sidestepped the 1935 Neutrality Act. Within days, a large detachment of ships and ordnance were headed for Britain. Prime Minister Churchill hailed the passing of the law “Hitler’s death warrant.”

Next time on Godlike: The war against the Super-Axis continues in Europe, Africa, and at home.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's nice to know that even in the weird war, the Italians are comfortingly inept.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm not a WWII buff, but my understanding is that the ordinary Italian soldier was made the butt of jokes for decades, when the real problem was outdated and outclassed weaponry, an inexperienced, aristocratic officer corps that held the common soldier in contempt, and political instability at home that gave them no reason to feel they were fighting for their people. Considering how many Italian soldiers had to go up against vastly superior heavy weaponry, you'd think there would be more Italian Talents. I mean, there are, but hardly any of them are even named. The only one who gets a profile is an anti-fascist rebel.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not a WWII buff, but my understanding is that the ordinary Italian soldier was made the butt of jokes for decades, when the real problem was outdated and outclassed weaponry, an inexperienced, aristocratic officer corps that held the common soldier in contempt, and political instability at home that gave them no reason to feel they were fighting for their people. Considering how many Italian soldiers had to go up against vastly superior heavy weaponry, you'd think there would be more Italian Talents. I mean, there are, but hardly any of them are even named. The only one who gets a profile is an anti-fascist rebel.

This is basically the case.

Also, the Italians revolutionized combat diving and put dudes on manned torpedoes to go put limpet mines on ships and sink BBs from beneath them so that's at least incredibly bold and clever, even if Fascist Italy's leadership was awful.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I like there's a wide mix of talents, and their ends are different from tragically comical (Jumping Johnny), Karmic, to just sad (Ghost :smith:)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

The Italian army couldn't subjugate Ethiopia without resorting to chemical warfare. They public blamed their own failures on the Ethiopians employing "Ferenghi", foreign military advisers, mercenaries, volunteers in the employ of Emperor Haile Selassie (which he did have a small amount, but Italian propaganda inflated their numbers by a factor of ten to hundreds), because how could a bunch of black Africans withstand the might of a modern European fighting force. Even the occupation didn't last long, because Haile Selassie returned with his Gideon Force, British and Free French troops to liberate the country.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, like it's understandable for the genre but it is kind of hilarious to me how every Talent seems to either be a Nazi super-soldier or a brave and daring (but carefully non-Communist) foe of Nazivania.

Hell, L'Invocateur sounds like a god drat serial killer, if one with a positive target... at least, as far as we can tell.

Young Freud posted:

The Italian army couldn't subjugate Ethiopia without resorting to chemical warfare. They public blamed their own failures on the Ethiopians employing "Ferenghi",

Checks out

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nessus posted:

Checks out

I knew that would come up. TBF, "ferenghi" is a weird word for "foreigner" that seems to cross language boundaries, since it's not just an Ethiopian term, but one from Arabic, Persian, Hindu, and even Thai and Malaysian. It's probably obvious why Gene Roddenbery chose that for an alien race.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 16, 2016

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone give a rundown of the craziest poo poo in Tomb of Iuchiban? I've never read it, only reviews. I know the tomb changes in the second part and the rakshasa that taught Iuchiban is there or something but no one has put up a comprehensive description of its bullshit. I imagine it's all for nothing too and you can't accomplish anything important.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Young Freud posted:

I knew that would come up. TBF, "ferenghi" is a weird word for "foreigner" that seems to cross language boundaries, since it's not just an Ethiopian term, but one from Arabic, Persian, Hindu, and even Thai and Malaysian.
Oh I know, it's what they named our goonlord hypercapitalist lobeheads after.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Heh, The Summoner is basically Kenan's character from Mystery Men used to a particularly badass degree.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Halloween Jack posted:

Considering how many Italian soldiers had to go up against vastly superior heavy weaponry, you'd think there would be more Italian Talents.

I also would have thought there'd be a lot more women Talents, particularly in places like Poland, the Soviet Union, and China. WW2 was an awful, awful time to be a civilian woman in parts of the world.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cythereal posted:

I also would have thought there'd be a lot more women Talents, particularly in places like Poland, the Soviet Union, and China. WW2 was an awful, awful time to be a civilian woman in parts of the world.
Sounds like you're endorsing Stalin's crimes there :v: More seriously it makes sense to me that, given that Talents seem to emerge best in battlefield conditions, there would be more dudes than ladies, purely because ladies tended to be on the battlefield somewhat less. (Far from 'not at all,' of course.) In addition, societal sexism would probably relegate female Talents to support/rear-echelon positions outside of partisan units and perhaps the Soviet Union (and even that's more a case of "if it would be anywhere, it'd be the Reds").

I wonder if they were able to get statistical predictions of probable Talent output from a certain number of combat encounters.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nessus posted:

Sounds like you're endorsing Stalin's crimes there :v: More seriously it makes sense to me that, given that Talents seem to emerge best in battlefield conditions, there would be more dudes than ladies, purely because ladies tended to be on the battlefield somewhat less. (Far from 'not at all,' of course.) In addition, societal sexism would probably relegate female Talents to support/rear-echelon positions outside of partisan units and perhaps the Soviet Union (and even that's more a case of "if it would be anywhere, it'd be the Reds").

I wonder if they were able to get statistical predictions of probable Talent output from a certain number of combat encounters.

My point was that there were many parts of the world during WW2 where "battlefield conditions" were goddamn everywhere and atrocities upon atrocities were common.

You do raise a good point, though. The Soviet Union should have lots of women Talents - they had more women in active, organized combat than any other combatant in the war by a significant margin, and the Eastern Front, like China, was one of those places where "civilians" were a thing of the past.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok originally I was going to post an update to Open Legend to cover combat rules but it's just been announced Matt Mercer, Ed Greenwood, and John Wick are going to the be writing force behind its first setting book. It launches on kickstarter on October 18th so get your poo poo in order for that mess, and I for one am super excited to see how that not at all conflicting group of individuals writing styles finishes up.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 16, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gently caress giving Wick a god drat nickel.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Nessus posted:

Yeah, like it's understandable for the genre but it is kind of hilarious to me how every Talent seems to either be a Nazi super-soldier or a brave and daring (but carefully non-Communist) foe of Nazivania.
Actually, there are quite a few Talents with at least casual ties to socialist or communist parties in their native countries. I just didn't think it was worth including that Daegal was a Socialist and Jumping Johnny was a Tory. As opposed to Vevel.

Nessus posted:

More seriously it makes sense to me that, given that Talents seem to emerge best in battlefield conditions, there would be more dudes than ladies, purely because ladies tended to be on the battlefield somewhat less. (Far from 'not at all,' of course.) In addition, societal sexism would probably relegate female Talents to support/rear-echelon positions outside of partisan units and perhaps the Soviet Union (and even that's more a case of "if it would be anywhere, it'd be the Reds").

Cythereal posted:

Cythereal posted:

My point was that there were many parts of the world during WW2 where "battlefield conditions" were goddamn everywhere and atrocities upon atrocities were common.

You do raise a good point, though. The Soviet Union should have lots of women Talents - they had more women in active, organized combat than any other combatant in the war by a significant margin, and the Eastern Front, like China, was one of those places where "civilians" were a thing of the past.

First, bear in mind that while I can't find even a rough estimate of the total population of Talents at the height of the war, it must have been well over 100,000, conservatively. (The Soviet Talent population was as high as 75,000 based on British estimates, and the United States and Britain together trained over 28,000 Talent soldiers) Nazi concentration camps and war crimes against civilians created thousands more Talents.

Many women Talents are probably assumed to be among those uncounted civilian Talents I mentioned, most of whom stayed hidden or died before they could become famous. You've already seen how easy it was for powerful Talents to be killed in ordinary ways they never saw coming, like artillery, land mines, and stray bullets. And those are the ones who had training.

In the particular case of the Soviet Union, many hid their Talents. Remember that the Great Purge of 37 was still fresh in everyone's mind, and was one of the major reasons they hosed up their initial invasion of Finland. Stalin was even more paranoid about Talents, and was wont to use them as very effective cannon fodder. Or just execute them.

What is actually the strangest thing to me is how the nationalities among Talents are covered.

So there are 36 Talents who get full-page writeups to represent well over 100,000. Britain, Germany, France, and the U.S. get 15 between them. And the rest? There's only one Italian, one Japanese, one Chinese, one Russian...just like there's only one Czech and one Lithuanian. Scandinavia has as many featured Talents as all of Asia put together. There's only one African, and three women. I'm glad that they put some focus on nations that weren't major players, but it's pretty weird about who gets left out.

Night10194 posted:

Also, the Italians revolutionized combat diving and put dudes on manned torpedoes to go put limpet mines on ships and sink BBs from beneath them so that's at least incredibly bold and clever, even if Fascist Italy's leadership was awful.
Lies. There was only one Incredible Mr. Limpet and he fought for AMERICA.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Actually, there are quite a few Talents with at least casual ties to socialist or communist parties in their native countries. I just didn't think it was worth including that Daegal was a Socialist and Jumping Johnny was a Tory. As opposed to Vevel.
Yeah that's good. There was a lot of downplaying of these folks even when they were legitimately heroes.

quote:

In the particular case of the Soviet Union, many hid their Talents. Remember that the Great Purge of 37 was still fresh in everyone's mind, and was one of the major reasons they hosed up their initial invasion of Finland. Stalin was even more paranoid about Talents, and was wont to use them as very effective cannon fodder. Or just execute them.

What is actually the strangest thing to me is how the nationalities among Talents are covered.

So there are 36 Talents who get full-page writeups to represent well over 100,000. Britain, Germany, France, and the U.S. get 15 between them. And the rest? There's only one Italian, one Japanese, one Chinese, one Russian...just like there's only one Czech and one Lithuanian. Scandinavia has as many featured Talents as all of Asia put together. There's only one African, and three women. I'm glad that they put some focus on nations that weren't major players, but it's pretty weird about who gets left out.
Yeah, the reason I remark on this so sassily is because the western portrayal of WWII usually heavily downplays the massive Soviet involvement in the European theater as well as the role of communist groups in effectively fighting Hitler and his cronies. It does not excuse Stalin's horrors or Lenin's brutality to say that the Nazis, arguably, lost the war at Stalingrad and Leningrad. (If material deprivation can bring out Talents, Leningrad would have likely gone quite differently even if the strategic impact was similar.)

Seen in this light, the fact that the great majority of the sample characters are from Western-allied nations, or the primary antagonist state ( :hitler: ) makes perfect sense, but the 75k Russian talents are so numerous that it seems to be a major omission to not at least passingly discuss them. What will Khruschev do about the Talents? At a certain point you actually can't kill all of them, or even use them all as spies and supersoldier elites. Similarly I suppose you might want to avoid using Italians too heavily ("we know nothing about Italian history") or Japanese ("high risk of anime").

Does this game have the later-in-history sequel or was that just the one with the rationing and London horrors whose name I can't remember?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Godbound seems to be perfect for playing a post-Diablo 3 game where Nephilim powers have become latent again and the PCs start ascending up the ladder into becoming as powerful as the original Bul-Kathos and Rathma.

(or a pre Diablo game where you are Bul-Kathos, Rathma, and the other first-generation Nephalem, and must chart out a course for Sanctuary different from what canonically happened)

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!

Nessus posted:

Hell, L'Invocateur sounds like a god drat serial killer, if one with a positive target... at least, as far as we can tell.

Ha - a quote from L'Invocateur does come up in one of the sidebars, where he was interviewed and said "The invisibility is luck; my true Talent is with the knife.” So yeah, that's not creepy at all.

Nessus posted:

Does this game have the later-in-history sequel or was that just the one with the rationing and London horrors whose name I can't remember?

Yes, the later in-history sequel is Wild Talents, which goes up to the year 2007 with full alt-history. It also discusses my favorite way of measuring superheroic alt history; on a variety of 'axes of design' which indicate a) how easily superheroes can alter 'real' history; b) how 'flexible' superheroes are in societal terms; c) how much wonderful nonsense there is about (think the Silver Age) and d) moral clarity.

ninjaiguana fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 16, 2016

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

ninjaiguana posted:

Ha - a quote from L'Invocateur does come up in one of the sidebars, where he was interviewed and said "The invisibility is luck; my true Talent is with the knife.” So yeah, that's not creepy at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ioLebEUHhw

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Nessus posted:

The Wild Talents game has a sequel to the GODLIKE timeline, where "Wild Talents" start popping up who have the powers of Talents but none of the weaknesses.

This... basically derails the gently caress out of history.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MJ12 posted:

The Wild Talents game has a sequel to the GODLIKE timeline, where "Wild Talents" start popping up who have the powers of Talents but none of the weaknesses.

This... basically derails the gently caress out of history.
I think you'd want to keep the weaknesses, though, at least most of them - make it so people who break these rules have to like, buy that as a power. You get more interesting narrative out of limitations if you don't go overboard.

What's their AU timeline? Does it involve libertopia? :v:

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
The Wild Talents canon timeline is really not very well written, IMO. I was considering doing a writeup of it in this thread a few years ago. I found it to be much less creative and interesting than Godlike, maybe because the focus isn't as tight. Shortly after WW2, superpowers all over the world mysteriously broaden from the unique restrictions that Godlike had and become more generalized, which takes away a lot of flavor. From what I remember offhand, the highlights include an anti-government Talent counterculture emerging in the 60s, a sort of above-the-law semi-secret international rescue and humanitarian organization for Talents with a "benevolent conspiracy" feel to it, several wars with alien species on the other side of a wormhole opened with supertech, and Talent terrorism featuring al-Qaeda and friends. Don't go in expecting a lot of detail about how Talents integrate into postwar Soviet society.

One thing I found really interesting about the Wild Talents setting is how strongly it's of its time. It was very obviously written by an American author during the middle of the Bush years. There's a heavy focus on Middle Eastern terrorism, an idea of international intervention for the better and the value of a "world police" force of Talents, kind of a Clancy techno-thriller feel.

Progenitor is another setting by Greg Stolze that's unrelated to Godlike, but does a fantastic job of extrapolating out the huge social and political changes that superpowers have on the world over about 30 years. The jumping off point could be described as "what if supers emerged during Vietnam instead of WW2, and also were contagious," and it spirals out from there.

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 16, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kellsterik posted:

Progenitor is another setting by Greg Stolze that's unrelated to Godlike, but does a fantastic job of extrapolating out the huge changes that superpowers have on the world over about 30 years. The jumping off point could be described as "what if supers emerged during Vietnam instead of WW2, and also were contagious," and it spirals out from there.
I'm reminded of the Onion article about our new North Vietnamese overlords.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Nessus posted:

I think you'd want to keep the weaknesses, though, at least most of them - make it so people who break these rules have to like, buy that as a power. You get more interesting narrative out of limitations if you don't go overboard.

What's their AU timeline? Does it involve libertopia? :v:

No actually. If anything it's basically the opposite, where everyone lives under a de facto One World Government made up of a USSR-NATO alliance that is fighting a secret war among the stars for human survival.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Nessus posted:

I'm reminded of the Onion article about our new North Vietnamese overlords.

How right you are! One of the two most powerful Hyperbrains on Earth is Nguyet Cam, who's basically Victor von Doom. During the Vietnam years she leads a Fantastic Four-esque crew of plucky Vietnamese freedom fighters on the ground, and (if the PCs don't interfere, which they're strongly encouraged to do) by 2000 she's in charge of about 50% of the human race.

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 16, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kellsterik posted:

How right you are! One of the two most powerful Hyperbrains on Earth is Nguyet Cam, who's basically Victor von Doom. During the Vietnam years she leads a Fantastic Four-esque crew of plucky Vietnamese freedom fighters on the ground, and (if the PCs don't interfere, which they're strongly encouraged to do) by 2000 she's in charge of about 50% of the human race.
Oh my Lord and LBJ is one too.

And Hoover.

And Hoover's power let him become MLK for a while. Which also gave MLK powers. Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I have the weirdest sense of Deja Vu right now...

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Kellsterik posted:

a sort of above-the-law semi-secret international rescue and humanitarian organization for Talents with a "benevolent conspiracy" feel to it

FAB!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Of course the concept of civilians still existed. There were the people you were trying to kill and/or do horrible things to who could not fight back.