Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Boards and Bits Traveler looks like it's trying to jump on the Bitbox's popularity along with it's terrible international shipping costs.

I've already sunk a lot of money into Bitbox so this is a pass for me.

Merauder posted:

I mocked this one up and took some turns as two players to see how complex the placement rules make things as well as the drafting element being present to cut off colors/numbers opponents need. I didn't use any of the tool cards or objective cards however, as there's only a few previewed on the campaign so I just opted out on them altogether. It went smoothly, with both player boards getting all but 1 spot filled by the end, and then after a once-over each board, I found one error on each where I'd placed like-numbers next to one another by mistake. I think it'll be a pretty fun, if light, puzzle game of sorts, and once you factor in more players as well as the various scoring objectives, it will be a bit more complex and involved.

To me, it has nice components, great art, an original theme, and sound gameplay. Definitely backing.

Glad to hear good things about it. I'm probably going to back it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
It's not a Kickstarter project, but there's a new documentary on Netflix called The Dwarvenaut about the making of the Dwarven Forge 3D dungeon tiles. A couple of my pals have already watched it and apparently it's pretty great.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Why is there a three paragraph long hyperlink in this kickstarter?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Sagrada looks like an interesting game involving dice and pattern matching. Already funded with $44,557 of the $24,000 goal. 24 days to go, so there's plenty of time to give it a look-over.

I'm likely hitting this one too, it looks perfect for my wife and I. I do wish the dice were a little larger and the price a bit cheaper.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

mike12345 posted:

Anyone supporting the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Kickstarter? How much of an update is it? I'm probably not going to chip in, the shipping fees of 30 bucks seem a bit brutal. Maybe ok for the weight, still. Didn't see a pdf-only option.

It's not a real update to the core GURPS rules, but they're redesigning and rebalancing all the spells in the game, and changing up some of the class templates. You can back for 36 bucks and get all the PDFs, they're an add-on instead of a pledge level for some reason.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
If you liked Valor, it looks like they're trying to kickstart a bestiary for it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Has the modern edition of GURPS revamped in accordance with more modern takes on gaming or is it stuck in the 80's?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

In your heart, you already know the answer to that question.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Baron Snow posted:

In your heart, you already know the answer to that question.

Sometimes you just don't want to face the truth...

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I just got my kickstarter pdf of Emissary.

Mind blowingly great art.

System looks to be basically a much more complex 3.5, but with 2d10. Much, much crunchier than I prefer these days. Like crazy so. So I can confidently say I'm never going to play it.

I hope the setting is salvageable from the mechanics.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 15, 2016

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I was kind of worried about that from the combat example they put up a while ago.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Inheritance is Luke Crane's latest project. He's not pretending to be a wizard, but it seems really weird. It needs exactly nine players and a gm and two seperate rooms. The mechanics are all a mystery because they would be spoilers. It reminds me of one of those murder mystery game nights but with a GM and Anglo Saxons.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sounds about right for Luke.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bieeardo posted:

I was kind of worried about that from the combat example they put up a while ago.
From appearances, it's even worse than you're probably expecting. It's very much a crunchy heartbreaker.

And on review, the setting is... Sparse-ish. Ah well. It's a pretty art book, like Eoris. At least I'm not out too much.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

dwarf74 posted:

From appearances, it's even worse than you're probably expecting. It's very much a crunchy heartbreaker.
I mean, really.

Or this sample character.

I mean, I've seen crunchier, and this is some people's bag, but jeez. The art makes me really want to play, but the rules just take the wind out of my sails.

e: And yes, that is indeed a "working memory" skill you see.

quote:

The working memory skill is typically used to recall lists of items and the order of the list, where items of working memory can take the form of words, numbers or objects. A TR 14 working memory check is sufficient to recall up to 7 items and their order. For example, a TR 14 working memory check could be used to recall a new phone number with a familiar area code (6 unique numbers and 1 are code, for 7 total items), but would not be sufficient to remember a new phone number with an unfamiliar area code (as the digits of the area code are now unique items). In both cases, the number would need to have been seen within a few minutes of making the working memory check. An alternative use could be to recall the facial features, clothing and hair colour of someone a character had just met. A TR 14 result could also recognise seven differences about the layout of a room if things had been moved during a short blackout.

:(

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 16, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"Hmm yes, better spend a page including every single possible modifier I can think of, even though they all give the exact same bonus or penalty."

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

neaden posted:

Inheritance is Luke Crane's latest project. He's not pretending to be a wizard, but it seems really weird. It needs exactly nine players and a gm and two seperate rooms. The mechanics are all a mystery because they would be spoilers. It reminds me of one of those murder mystery game nights but with a GM and Anglo Saxons.

Inheritance has an interesting history. It started life around 2007 as a convention scenario for an earlier edition of Burning Wheel, meant for large groups to play during a longer time-slot, as opposed to the smaller, faster default scenarios. BWHQ considered it to be hands-down their best scenario, but the sheer number of players required (between 6 and 12 players, depending on which version of it we're talking about), and the amount of effort on the facilitator's part it takes to run a Burning Wheel con scenario with that many players kept it from being run all that often. Despite this, it's garnered a lot of attention from overwhelmingly enthusiastic actual play reports that have accumulated over the years, and many people were keeping an eye on the Burning Wheel forums for the day when it would eventually be released to the public.

Then, Nordic larp happened.

A few years ago Luke began attending conventions in Europe, like Ropecon and one of the major LARP conventions (Knutepunkt I think?). Seeing the character-driven Nordic larps being played there had a huge impact on him, and he seems to have realized that the reason Inheritance never quite worked the way he wanted it to was because it was a nascent Nordic larp that was still clinging unnecessarily to its Burning Wheel roots. Based on what we know from those AP reports, he probably wasn't wrong, either.

Since then he's been working on Inheritance in its new form, which appears to be heavily Nordic larp-inspired; the "mechanics spoilers" thing is real in that design scene, involving things like third-act twists introduced by the facilitator and other strangeness. Given how cool some of that tech is, I'm looking forward to seeing it applied to something that isn't about aspiring artists or failed marriages.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

"Hmm yes, better spend a page including every single possible modifier I can think of, even though they all give the exact same bonus or penalty."
The entire skill section is like that. The entire goddamn thing.

The cover chart goes clear up to 31/32 cover, btw. Because gently caress it, that's why.

Now I see why we didn't get a rules preview. And it's a shame, because there's some neat ideas, here. And gorgeous art! Top notch! Among the best I've seen!

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 16, 2016

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Luke Crane on the Inheritance KS page posted:

Lastly, in the spirit of the age this game represents, the real challenge is for the backers. We are going on a journey together. We're going to explore a new design space and create a new game. Once you pledge, you join our viking band and step aboard our ship. While on this journey, I will brook no complaints. None. No questioning our ability to deliver, no nervously asking where your package is, no second guessing our decisions of what to do with the game. Either you are onboard with us as we sail to new lands, or you are not. It is that simple.

Well, he's going full in on the "force refunding of complaining people" thing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo, what a prick.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just don't get contempt for your customer. Like, at all. Luke, you're selling them something: they have a right to complain. If you don't want to complain, don't sell anything. Listen, and this not whining, but I've received complaints for $2 products and have nicely apologized and kept a cordial tone, while responding to the complaint. If action was necessary on my part, I did it. You don't get pissy because you come off looking like an absolute bunghole. You want people to like you or trust you or both when you're a salesman, you don't want them to think you're a prick.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Covok posted:

I just don't get contempt for your customer.

They're not customers. They're Vikings.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Kai Tave posted:

Holy poo poo, what a prick.

Seriously, wow.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Covok posted:

I just don't get contempt for your customer. Like, at all. Luke, you're selling them something: they have a right to complain. If you don't want to complain, don't sell anything. Listen, and this not whining, but I've received complaints for $2 products and have nicely apologized and kept a cordial tone, while responding to the complaint. If action was necessary on my part, I did it. You don't get pissy because you come off looking like an absolute bunghole. You want people to like you or trust you or both when you're a salesman, you don't want them to think you're a prick.

He has a giant ego and doesn't want people questioning his vision.

I'm sure he conducts all personal relationships the same way and doesn't realize that it is bad / wrong to issue dumb-rear end ultimatums all the time.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Loving the new thread title.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
MCG is having a celebratory sale on some Numenera stuff because of the success of the Invisible Sun KS. If anyone is not broke and cares about Numenera.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

gourdcaptain posted:

Holy poo poo, and I thought GMS was bad. This is a level beyond pretentious rear end in a top hat, I call it, nothing special because pretentious assholes don't deserve cool names for things. I'm certainly never backing anything he puts out.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Is he still the guy in charge of tabletop Kickstarters?

...Yup, still head of Games.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Holy poo poo, and I thought GMS was bad. This is a level beyond pretentious rear end in a top hat, I call it, nothing special because pretentious assholes don't deserve cool names for things. I'm certainly never backing anything he puts out.

Clearly the problem with the Far West or Exalted 3e kickstarter delays was people being able to complain about it, I guess. (rolls eyes)

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

gourdcaptain posted:

This is amazing. I'd already sold my Luke Crane books and decided not to back Inheritance after the Burning Wheel Codex responses, but this reminded me that I had yet to unsubscribe from the mailing list, too.

I would much rather run DramaSystem with vikings than put up with any of that.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
So, Tiny Frontiers: Mecha and Monsters is kickstarting and is totally my jam, BUT...I know nothing about Tiny Frontiers. Anyone have any experience with it?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Covok posted:

This is true if you're trying to sell people something. From what I understand, Luke Crane doesn't make much profit (certainly not a living) off his games. He just loves making them and wants to share them with people that are similarly invested. Given that, I can totally understand not wanting to bother with people that aren't. Perhaps it might be more gently put, but...I don't know. I've never spoken to the man and text is a difficult medium to parse intent from.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

malkav11 posted:

This is true if you're trying to sell people something. From what I understand, Luke Crane doesn't make much profit (certainly not a living) off his games. He just loves making them and wants to share them with people that are similarly invested. Given that, I can totally understand not wanting to bother with people that aren't. Perhaps it might be more gently put, but...I don't know. I've never spoken to the man and text is a difficult medium to parse intent from.

He's been pretty clearly kind of a dick for years. And while he can do whatever he likes with the delivery of his products per ~it's a free country, maaaan~, everyone else is equally free to raise an eyebrow at his stellar "curmudgeonly artiste" bullshit.

I'd like to take the opportunity to remind anyone interested that what appears to qualify as "whining and worrying" is a handful of backer comments amounting to "Hey, shipping notifications and receipt of product seems to be all over the place, what happen?" plus one solitary backseat driver-style comment that he never singled out. So he responded to everyone's """complaints""" by wizard-yelling at them all to be quiet. Then he trotted over to Twitter where he could more plainly :smuggo: "Get a load of these fuckers, asking politely for clarification on when they'll get products they gave me money for" free of his self-imposed wizard act.

It's not like he's just a little surly and uncommunicative; he'll actively mock customers, either because he hates really basic, polite questions, or because once one slightly overbearing customer rears their head he shotguns everyone with his horseshit.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 16, 2016

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Swagger Dagger posted:

It's not a real update to the core GURPS rules, but they're redesigning and rebalancing all the spells in the game, and changing up some of the class templates. You can back for 36 bucks and get all the PDFs, they're an add-on instead of a pledge level for some reason.

Hmm, that sucks. Maybe they're worried a lower pledge level would bring in less money or something. Guess I'll just wait for next year then.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Is it allowable by kickstarter's terms and conditions to tell people they can't raise issues they have about your project to you after they back it, with the implication that you'll kick them out of the kickstarter for doing that?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
This is starting to remind me of the guy who had a breakdown and burned a copy of his Kickstarted book every time someone asked him where they were.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The pictures for sad children kickstarter? That one hit a bad end when USPS bumped up shipping costs after the kickstarter ended and the creator was genuinely unable to afford shipping all of the books. That exacerbated other personal stresses they were dealing with at the time. :smith:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

IIRC, one of the "personal stresses" was the creator drinking gallons of ayahuasca.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Nuns with Guns posted:

The pictures for sad children kickstarter? That one hit a bad end when USPS bumped up shipping costs after the kickstarter ended and the creator was genuinely unable to afford shipping all of the books. That exacerbated other personal stresses they were dealing with at the time. :smith:

The author also was kind of a performance artist though so it's hard to say what exactly happened and why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011
I ended up with two copies of that Pictures For Sad Children book somehow due to the confusion at the end, so at least someone came out on top from that series of events.

I have near-zero esteem for Luke Crane after seeing how he'd rather throw old Burning Wheel sourcebooks down the memory hole than distribute them in any way, shape or form, so his toxic attitude towards customers/supporters doesn't come as a surprise.