Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
Current Build from 2012

First I was thinking about upgrading the 670 for a 1070. Which led to thinking about upgrading the cpu/mobo/ram as well. That being said I'm not terribly unhappy with anything, I tick shadows/lighting stuff down is the only real drawback in a couple games.
So in your expert goon opinions will I see much improvement if I build new vs. grabbing a 1070 and wait another 2 years minimum? Or should I be smart and just wait 2 more years with my current setup. I'm a fairly cheap person when I'm not looking at computer parts, for reference.

CPU: I5 2500k @4.3
GPU: EVGA gtx670
RAM: 8GB DDR31600
PSU: Corsair GS600 (I don't know what I was thinking)
MOBO: ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (newish)
HDD: 1TB WDBlack
Monitor: Asus 24" 1080p LED LCD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The 1070 will be a huge improvement even in your current system. You'll see a difference going to a 6600K but unless you actually need that 20% boost for something, waiting those 2 years might get you extra cores/threads. Word on the street right now is that Intel is going to be rolling out mainstream socket hexacores in 2018, with presumably something (even just 4C8T) trickling down to the i5 price point. You might want to pick up 8 more gigs of RAM if you go with that plan, I haven't seen any performance comparisons but games have started recommending 16.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Always go 16gb of ram with a new build so you can run chrome.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

VelociBacon posted:

Stop having 800 tabs open?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

VelociBacon posted:

Chrome is like a goldfish, it expands to take the volume of RAM available to it. 4GB Chromebooks have a great browsing experience even with obnoxious tab usage. You don't need a ton of RAM for chrome to work great.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Haquer posted:

Stop having 800 tabs open?

Or just stop running Chrome, it's a hambeast.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Zero The Hero posted:

Or just stop running Chrome, it's a hambeast.

I have like 15 tabs open and am using all of 350mb with mine?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Just use Firefox and set it to not load tabs on launch until that tab is clicked. Also run tree style tab because it's the only modern browser UI and you can run 600+ tabs on a tablet just like me (exaggeration, my surface is newer and doesn't have as many tabs yet).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Guys I was kidding about the chrome thing :( but wasn't kidding about everyone should have 16gb.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Chrome bloats after a week. Firefox crashes and burns in a horrible wreck after a week.

Pieholes
Sep 18, 2010

The cursed laptop is finally dying so I have an excuse to do something I've wanted to do for years and build my own pc. The assembly part seems easy enough but I'm lost on picking parts.

What country are you in: Finland
What are you using the system for? Gaming and normal web browsing. I just want to play Overwatch without my computer shutting down every 15 minutes.
What's your budget? Around 1100 USD. Living in Finland might bump up the costs a little (a lot) but I'm willing to compromise. I already have Windows 10.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? Don't have one currently, if anyone has any good suggestions (1080p) I'm listening. Graphics-wise I'm aiming for medium (maybe high) graphics but mostly I just want the game to actually run. Also not looking to overclock.

I can't find the original post but I saw this build earlier in the thread and liked it, is there something that could be improved or does it look good?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($198.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($43.53 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($81.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($37.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($156.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 380 2GB Video Card ($195.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($42.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $836.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-15 12:21 EDT-0400

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Avail posted:

Current Build from 2012

First I was thinking about upgrading the 670 for a 1070. Which led to thinking about upgrading the cpu/mobo/ram as well. That being said I'm not terribly unhappy with anything, I tick shadows/lighting stuff down is the only real drawback in a couple games.
So in your expert goon opinions will I see much improvement if I build new vs. grabbing a 1070 and wait another 2 years minimum? Or should I be smart and just wait 2 more years with my current setup. I'm a fairly cheap person when I'm not looking at computer parts, for reference.

CPU: I5 2500k @4.3
GPU: EVGA gtx670
RAM: 8GB DDR31600
PSU: Corsair GS600 (I don't know what I was thinking)
MOBO: ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (newish)
HDD: 1TB WDBlack
Monitor: Asus 24" 1080p LED LCD

I've got a similar build (2500k @ 4.4, 8gb RAM) and upgraded to a 1070. It's very noticeable and for 1080p is probably overkill. I game on three 1080p screens for some games but for single screen stuff the new card is awesome. I would agree that more/faster RAM would be a decent upgrade to pair with it.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I have a 970 and just got a big unexpected bonus from a dividend cash out so I was thinking of wasting some of it on a 1070. I only game at 1080p and already have 16gb of ram. It seems dumb, but I'm mostly okay with that.

As it's overkill to begin with, I am looking at the base model 1070s on Amazon. The EVGA 1070 ACX 3.0 is $410. Is there any reason I might want to get a different model? It only needs to last a couple more years. I am due for a full rebuild in 2018, or whenever the gtx 1280 hits (or whatever)

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Pieholes posted:

The cursed laptop is finally dying so I have an excuse to do something I've wanted to do for years and build my own pc. The assembly part seems easy enough but I'm lost on picking parts.

Googled up a random Finnish parts shop to check prices:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($198.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B150M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($70.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($156.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 470 4GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($42.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($82.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $821.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-15 14:47 EDT-0400

I didn't put the prices into PCPartPicker but this comes out to about €970 / $1100. Similar to your build, but with no aftermarket cooler, more RAM and a better GPU (the 380 is obsolete). Not much room for a monitor if you were planning on fitting one in that budget, though. If that's what you were going for then a cheaper case and PSU (EVGA 500B is a solid budget choice) are things you can save on with no performance impact; less RAM and a smaller SSD would be the easiest things to add to later.

If the numbers don't work out even with those cuts then I'd sooner delay buying the GPU long enough to save for it than cut anything else.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 15, 2016

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Scott Forstall posted:

I have a 970 and just got a big unexpected bonus from a dividend cash out so I was thinking of wasting some of it on a 1070. I only game at 1080p and already have 16gb of ram. It seems dumb, but I'm mostly okay with that.

As it's overkill to begin with, I am looking at the base model 1070s on Amazon. The EVGA 1070 ACX 3.0 is $410. Is there any reason I might want to get a different model? It only needs to last a couple more years. I am due for a full rebuild in 2018, or whenever the gtx 1280 hits (or whatever)

Honestly I would burn that cash on a nicer monitor before upgrading your video card. Buying a 1070 to play at 1080p is a waste of GPU power. While you can sort of get away with a 970 on a 1440p+ monitor.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I currently have a 3570k at 4.7Ghz with 8gb of 1333mhz ram. I don't plan on replacing the cpu anytime soon, but I am wondering if I can get a noticeable performance boost with 16Gb 2400mhz ram which is the most my motherboard will support. This is for mostly games such as WoW and paradox titles.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

I don't know if you'll find any comprehensive comparisons for gaming improvements on Ivy Bridge. That comparison Digital Foundry did for the 2500K includes an i7-3770K as well, with average and minimum frame rates compared between DDR3-1600, 2133, and 2400 on the overclocked processor. From Techspot's tests, Fallout 4 looks like it probably uses whatever extra memory speed it can get. What kind of difference you'll see is likely going to depend on the specific game and engine in question.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
Hey guys, I've had my PC for over 3 years now. Over the years I've upgraded almost everything on it (graphics card, RAM, power supply, etc) but I'm still running the original MoBo and Processor.

Processor (CPU) AMD A10-5800K Quad Core APU (3.8GHz) & Radeon™ HD 7660D Graphics
Motherboard ASUS® F2A85-V PRO: (ATX, DDR3, USB 3.0, 6Gb/s, Xfire)

I'm thinking about upgrading but honestly, I don't know too much about MoBos or CPUs but I'm thinking of moving over to intel (i7 so it'll still be relevant and decent performance in a few years, I believe it's called 'futureproofing') but I'm not sure which one would be best. My machine is used mostly for gaming, but I'm also hoping to start streaming, which my current CPU struggles with at decent qualities. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this?

(Budget: nothing too crazy, but enough to last me 3-5 years +. Location: UK, use: gaming/editing, but mostly gaming.)

Sorry if there's not enough info here, I'm hoping there is.

The rest of my specs: Case: PCS Maelstrom t900(in case you need to know how much space I have), GPU: GTX 970 (4gb) Ram: 12 gb 1600mhz DDR3 (1x8, 1x4)(wouldnt mind upgrading either). Power supply: Can't remember exactly but I think it's 700W upgraded from 450.

itsjustdrew fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 16, 2016

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

itsjustdrew posted:

Hey guys, I've had my PC for over 3 years now. Over the years I've upgraded almost everything on it (graphics card, RAM, power supply, etc) but I'm still running the original MoBo and Processor.

Processor (CPU) AMD A10-5800K Quad Core APU (3.8GHz) & Radeon™ HD 7660D Graphics
Motherboard ASUS® F2A85-V PRO: (ATX, DDR3, USB 3.0, 6Gb/s, Xfire)

I'm thinking about upgrading but honestly, I don't know too much about MoBos or CPUs but I'm thinking of moving over to intel (i7 so it'll still be relevant and decent performance in a few years, I believe it's called 'futureproofing') but I'm not sure which one would be best. My machine is used mostly for gaming, but I'm also hoping to start streaming, which my current CPU struggles with at decent qualities. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this?

(Budget: nothing too crazy, but enough to last me 3-5 years +. Location: UK, use: gaming/editing, but mostly gaming.)

Sorry if there's not enough info here, I'm hoping there is.

The rest of my specs: Case: PCS Maelstrom t900(in case you need to know how much space I have), GPU: GTX 970 (4gb) Ram: 12 gb 1600mhz DDR3 (1x8, 1x4)(wouldnt mind upgrading either). Power supply: Can't remember exactly but I think it's 700W upgraded from 450.

You're correct in thinking it's a good time to move to intel and that an i7 would be a good idea if you're building a gaming/streaming PC because the i7's have multithreading which basically make them better at handling multiple discreet workloads. The one I'd look at is the i7-6700k which is overclockable (it has a k at the end). You can spend more or a lot less but it's a very good processor, especially if you're editing/rendering videos for youtube or w/e. I'd get at least 16gb of ram and maybe 32gb of ram if you're doing higher resolution streaming stuff while also encoding and saving to an ssd etc. If money is tight just go with a 16gb setup and see how it goes.

For motherboards, there are frequent reccomendations in the thread, I like ASUS boards, MSI boards are popular, don't buy a gigabyte board. You don't really need a fancy looking board with huge heat spreaders on the VRM and stuff but those boards also usually come with more reliable components and better VRM for overclocking stability and such so really take a look at what you need.

For cooling your new CPU I'd suggest a cooler master hyper 212 evo if you want something better and quieter than the stock cooler.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

I'm looking for a rugged wireless mouse/keyboard combo. In my experience, the lowball Logitech combos can't stand up to the actual use of a mouse / keyboard in a gaming situation.

What I'm looking for:

rugged construction that can handle months (or years) of use in a gaming environment
    backlit

Recommendations?

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

VelociBacon posted:

You're correct in thinking it's a good time to move to intel and that an i7 would be a good idea if you're building a gaming/streaming PC because the i7's have multithreading which basically make them better at handling multiple discreet workloads. The one I'd look at is the i7-6700k which is overclockable (it has a k at the end). You can spend more or a lot less but it's a very good processor, especially if you're editing/rendering videos for youtube or w/e. I'd get at least 16gb of ram and maybe 32gb of ram if you're doing higher resolution streaming stuff while also encoding and saving to an ssd etc. If money is tight just go with a 16gb setup and see how it goes.

For motherboards, there are frequent reccomendations in the thread, I like ASUS boards, MSI boards are popular, don't buy a gigabyte board. You don't really need a fancy looking board with huge heat spreaders on the VRM and stuff but those boards also usually come with more reliable components and better VRM for overclocking stability and such so really take a look at what you need.

For cooling your new CPU I'd suggest a cooler master hyper 212 evo if you want something better and quieter than the stock cooler.

My Asus board has been absolutely fantastic, so I'll probably get another (if I even need to upgrade at all) Can you (or someone else here) recommend a specific model you'd go for?

As for RAM, I'll be picking up some more in the near future but RAM isn't nearly as important as the CPU or GPU when it comes to streaming apparently, I've been reading a few things online about the i7-6700k, so I'll probably look in to one of them, thank you cery much.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

itsjustdrew posted:

My Asus board has been absolutely fantastic, so I'll probably get another (if I even need to upgrade at all) Can you (or someone else here) recommend a specific model you'd go for?

As for RAM, I'll be picking up some more in the near future but RAM isn't nearly as important as the CPU or GPU when it comes to streaming apparently, I've been reading a few things online about the i7-6700k, so I'll probably look in to one of them, thank you cery much.

I can't make a budget recommendation but I use a maxiumus hero VIII or something and it's been great. I have an overclock running and it's extremely stable.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
To be clear, you need a new motherboard and a new set of RAM, it's not optional. If a Maximus board ($210-$220) is a little pricier than you were hoping, there's some cheaper ones like this ($138) and this ($116) that seem like solid options. For RAM, pick up 16 GB of DDR4-3000 since it's not very expensive.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 16, 2016

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

VelociBacon posted:

I can't make a budget recommendation but I use a maxiumus hero VIII or something and it's been great. I have an overclock running and it's extremely stable.

HMS Boromir posted:

To be clear, you need a new motherboard and a new set of RAM, it's not optional. If a Maximus board ($210-$220) is a little pricier than you were hoping, there's some cheaper ones like this ($138) and this ($116) that seem like solid options. For RAM, pick up 16 GB of DDR4-3000 since it's not very expensive.

You're both wonderful people, thank you very much, I'll start pricing up now.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Btw if you use wireless for your PC don't spend an extra $100 on a mobo with wireless just get a pci-e wireless adapter.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I've taken my eye off the ball for a few months and am out of date with this. What's the recommended graphics card for 1080p?

I have had a Sapphire 280x since they came out but it's just starting to struggle in new games, and to be honest is a but loving noisy when the fans get going.

I can see 8gb 1060s going for about £250, is that the right option? Any point getting a 980ti for a bit more, or getting a rx480 when the non blower coolers are available in the UK?

Rest of the system is a 3570 non-K in a fractal design node 304.

e: also will this be enough of an upgrade to bother with?

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 16, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
6GB 1060 is probably the best price/performance for most new games at 1080p. The 4GB 470s and 480s can also be pretty respectable - nothing wrong with the 8GB ones but I'm not sure how much the extra RAM helps. A used/sale 970/980/290/390 is also worth considering if they can be had at a good price I think.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 16, 2016

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

LongSack posted:

I'm looking for a rugged wireless mouse/keyboard combo. In my experience, the lowball Logitech combos can't stand up to the actual use of a mouse / keyboard in a gaming situation.

What I'm looking for:

rugged construction that can handle months (or years) of use in a gaming environment
    backlit

Recommendations?

Do you literally beat them when you lose? I've never had a logitech m/kb fail before multiple years of daily usage

jauk3n
Jul 10, 2014
hey, couple quick questions

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($144.82 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($43.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini ITX OC Video Card ($399.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 800 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.88 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 7260HMWDTX1 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1210.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-16 16:52 EDT-0400

for this build do I need the cooler? and the case I picked, can I go with something smaller or does a bigger case allow better airflow?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

jauk3n posted:

hey, couple quick questions

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($144.82 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($43.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini ITX OC Video Card ($399.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 800 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.88 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 7260HMWDTX1 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1210.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-16 16:52 EDT-0400

for this build do I need the cooler? and the case I picked, can I go with something smaller or does a bigger case allow better airflow?

You need the cooler, as none is included with the -K processors any longer. You can surely find a smaller case but your motherboard is full ATX size, so keep that in mind.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
You do need a cooler, the 6600k doesn't come with one and the one you picked is the best of the inexpensive coolers. I was able to overclock my 6600k to 4.7ghz at low voltage using one of those coolers.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

jauk3n posted:

If you really want to go smaller you could always go mATX or even mini ITX. Bigger does allow for better airflow but you can get good enough airflow for your build in anything but the tiniest of mini ITX cases.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Taffer posted:

Do you literally beat them when you lose? I've never had a logitech m/kb fail before multiple years of daily usage

Lol, no. But I do hit the keys with more emphasis than when I'm programming, say. I've had the same problem with multiple Logitech wireless combos, where the keyboard stops being responsive at times, like it's not sensing the keystrokes. I've been using a wired "gaming" keyboard long enough that the key caps are mostly blank now, and have never had the same problem.

I don't know whether the problem is with the keyboard itself, or with the USB transceiver, but it's definitely a problem that has happened on multiple keyboards, so it wasn't just a bad one.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Going to be taking advantage of a nearby Microcenter to upgrade the CPU/Mobo soon for my aging computer, can anyone confirm that this is the same product as the hyper 212 evo in most of the part picker links?
http://www.microcenter.com/product/373900/Hyper_212_EVO_Universal_CPU_Cooler

It doesn't list socket 1151, but I'm fairly sure it does and it's just a bad spec sheet on Microcenter's site?

Microcenter is loving amazing for CPU/mobo bundles, if anyone is building and has one nearby don't get lazy, the savings are insane with the bundles.

ASRock Z170-Pro4 LGA 1151 ATX - $80 with a $20 MIR
6600k - $209

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

LongSack posted:

Lol, no. But I do hit the keys with more emphasis than when I'm programming, say. I've had the same problem with multiple Logitech wireless combos, where the keyboard stops being responsive at times, like it's not sensing the keystrokes. I've been using a wired "gaming" keyboard long enough that the key caps are mostly blank now, and have never had the same problem.

I don't know whether the problem is with the keyboard itself, or with the USB transceiver, but it's definitely a problem that has happened on multiple keyboards, so it wasn't just a bad one.

Is there a reason you insist on going wireless?

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

Is there a reason you insist on going wireless?

Unclutter the desk top, that's it really.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
So I'm looking to upgrade from my i5-2500k with Geforce 980 build which has served me faithfully for many years. Getting a bit long in the tooth for games. I'm aiming for something like luxury overclocker build from the OP as I have a 30" 2560x1600 monitor and like my games shiny:

i5-6600k
16GB DDR4
Geforce GTX 1080

However, not sure I need the fancy Asus Maximus board? Especially since it's so expensive. Can someone explain why I would pick this over the more basic ASRock Z170?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Vidaeus posted:

So I'm looking to upgrade from my i5-2500k with Geforce 980 build which has served me faithfully for many years. Getting a bit long in the tooth for games. I'm aiming for something like luxury overclocker build from the OP as I have a 30" 2560x1600 monitor and like my games shiny:

i5-6600k
16GB DDR4
Geforce GTX 1080

However, not sure I need the fancy Asus Maximus board? Especially since it's so expensive. Can someone explain why I would pick this over the more basic ASRock Z170?

Maximus boards have better on-board sound, built-in wifi, fancy things for Overclocking, lots of fan headers, and look pretty. It's up to you if you think that's worth the extra +$100.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Hey y'all! It's been awhile since I've come through these parts, but I wanted to seek some advice.

Almost 5 years ago, I built a PC based on advice from here. Here's the specs:

Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Motherboard: Intel BOXDP67BGB3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500k
Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler (along with Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM)
Memory: CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
Drive: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
Video Card: MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

My question is ... what would be worth upgrading? I don't really want to lay out the cash to build a whole new PC, but I'd probably drop a couple hundred on upgrading a component or two if it'll make a marked difference. Video card? Faster processor on the same mobo? Nothing, just throw it away, it's worthless?

(It still plays most games I throw at it, but I'm not super cutting edge on anything anymore.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Krakkles posted:

Hey y'all! It's been awhile since I've come through these parts, but I wanted to seek some advice.

Almost 5 years ago, I built a PC based on advice from here. Here's the specs:

Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Motherboard: Intel BOXDP67BGB3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500k
Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler (along with Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM)
Memory: CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
Drive: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
Video Card: MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

My question is ... what would be worth upgrading? I don't really want to lay out the cash to build a whole new PC, but I'd probably drop a couple hundred on upgrading a component or two if it'll make a marked difference. Video card? Faster processor on the same mobo? Nothing, just throw it away, it's worthless?

(It still plays most games I throw at it, but I'm not super cutting edge on anything anymore.)

Overclock the CPU and get a new video card, probably a GTX 1060 or something. Optionally you could add 8gb more RAM, but you'd probably notice if you're running out of memory.