Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

In Training posted:

Yeah on the eshop. You can even preload it right now.

Ah. I'm picking up a physical copy, but that's tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AriadneThread posted:

honestly, if it wasn't for the series stateside history of new copies being a pain in the rear end to find once the original release sells out, i'd wouldn't have pre-ordered.

I really like the story, but I've also got some powerful nostalgia goggles on, I admit.
The game opens following the main character and his friends who live on only landmass in the whole world until one day they find a ancient ruin that whisks them away to a strange island full of monsters. They help the people free free themselves and find a portal back to the ruin and go home. The next day one of the local fishermen report a new island has appeared out of nowhere right next to their own, and things kind of build from there.

Went out to take the dog for a walk and come home just in time for the ups guy to step out of the truck. Here goes all my productivity for today.

:cheers:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If I pre-ordered the game on the shop, how much of a download will there be at midnight? Should have pre-downloaded most of the game already, I imagine.

Also, which time zone for midnight are we talking?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

AriadneThread posted:

honestly, if it wasn't for the series stateside history of new copies being a pain in the rear end to find once the original release sells out, i'd wouldn't have pre-ordered.

I really like the story, but I've also got some powerful nostalgia goggles on, I admit.
The game opens following the main character and his friends who live on only landmass in the whole world until one day they find a ancient ruin that whisks them away to a strange island full of monsters. They help the people free free themselves and find a portal back to the ruin and go home. The next day one of the local fishermen report a new island has appeared out of nowhere right next to their own, and things kind of build from there.

Went out to take the dog for a walk and come home just in time for the ups guy to step out of the truck. Here goes all my productivity for today.

so jealous... but I don't have a 3DS yet, and won't be getting one soon due to lack of a job :(

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Man...my copy hasn't even shipped yet... :(

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

mikeycp posted:

Man...my copy hasn't even shipped yet... :(

According to Amazon, mine is on the way. Too much work in the meantime for me to get too excited about it.

Every time someone on a forum can't shut up about a game coming and then rips it open and plays it the second that it arrives, I have mixed feelings. Part of me wonders how any grown person can have the time to immediately tear into a new game and play it obsessively for an extended period of time while part of me misses that Christmas morning type feeling where you get A Fun Thing and then immediately have to open it and play it with breathless anticipation. Even though DQVII will almost certainly be here tomorrow when I get back from the office, I'm more looking forward to having the evening to myself and having supper at Arby's, as is my habit.

gently caress I feel old right now.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I'm 29 but I'm single and only go out a couple nights a week. I have a friend coming to stay over and we're going to get drunk and play some loving Dragon Quest

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Getting antsy waiting for the package to arrive.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i have enough unfinished video games that i should be playing as it is but i've bitched on the internet about not getting the 3ds port of dq7 over here too much to not preorder and play it asap

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

JustJeff88 posted:

According to Amazon, mine is on the way. Too much work in the meantime for me to get too excited about it.

Every time someone on a forum can't shut up about a game coming and then rips it open and plays it the second that it arrives, I have mixed feelings. Part of me wonders how any grown person can have the time to immediately tear into a new game and play it obsessively for an extended period of time while part of me misses that Christmas morning type feeling where you get A Fun Thing and then immediately have to open it and play it with breathless anticipation. Even though DQVII will almost certainly be here tomorrow when I get back from the office, I'm more looking forward to having the evening to myself and having supper at Arby's, as is my habit.

gently caress I feel old right now.

Don't worry friend, I only played for like an hour and now safely at work like at an adult

They definitely changed the opening around a bit, but I'm not sure this fetch quest they replaced the temple puzzles with is that much quicker

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'm playing the same DQVIII save I started in 2006. Trying to finally beat this game before the 3DS remake comes out :gonk:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Digital version is unlocked

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Thinking about getting the 7th game on the 3DS. Is there anything I should know about it before starting?

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Kiefer is a dickhead.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Kiefer is a rude dude who swears in an early ps1 game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played about 4 hours of 7 last night and Im in love

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Did you get to a battle yet lol

No but really I'm picking this up today and I can't wait

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
I was prepared to hate kiefer but now I'm prepared to love.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

voltron lion force posted:

Did you get to a battle yet lol

No but really I'm picking this up today and I can't wait

Yeah like 90 minutes in haha. The quaint, slow pace is one of the big reasons i like DQ games though, I understand a lot of people will get bored with the intro though

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
is there a good lp somewhere that shows off the intro to seven? I'm going to be receiving my 3ds copy later today and I want to know what the original intro was like.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Eopia posted:

is there a good lp somewhere that shows off the intro to seven? I'm going to be receiving my 3ds copy later today and I want to know what the original intro was like.

MaskedHuzzah did a screenshot lp some years ago.
http://lparchive.org/Dragon-Warrior-VII/

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Picked up 7 this morning. I can't believe it's finally here!
Unfortunately I work all day today and tomorrow. So I'll just have to get a good bit in on Sunday.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Picked up 7 early in the morning but now I'm stuck at the doctor's for a checkup. Didn't bother bringing my 3DS though since I prefer to sit in comfort and just absorb this game.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 383 days!
Does the 3ds version of VII give you a better indication of what you're supposed to be doing? I still have PTSD from starting the PS1 version, playing for like 40 hours and coming back a couple of weeks later and not knowing where to go next

AriadneThread posted:

There's also a 'story so far' summary in the misc. sub-menu that you can review.
Sold, thanks!

tenderjerk fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 16, 2016

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I stopped at Emberdale. It's been fun so far, but I'm just anxious for when the Alltrades Abbey shows up. I want to turn my party into monsters ASAP.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

tenderjerk posted:

Does the 3ds version of VII give you a better indication of what you're supposed to be doing? I still have PTSD from starting the PS1 version, playing for like 40 hours and coming back a couple of weeks later and not knowing where to go next

some of it might just be better translation then the first go-around, but the game is definitely better at telling you where to go.
There's also a 'story so far' summary in the misc. sub-menu that you can review.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Did the street pass feature get an online option or is it still local only?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am mostly shocked at how good the game looks. Full sized character models, full 3D environments, and DQVIII like world traversal. It does not look one bit like the 3 year old game that it is.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I am mostly shocked at how good the game looks. Full sized character models, full 3D environments, and DQVIII like world traversal. It does not look one bit like the 3 year old game that it is.

This got me. I hadn't been following DQVII, and just figured it would be, frankly, DQVII, but on the 3DS. I wasn't actually expecting basically a full remake.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

i wish camera control out on the overworld was a little better. the option to zoom out a bit would have been nice given the small screen. still though, it looks pretty slick, i agree

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Yeah. I have an n3ds and it annoys me that I can't use the nub to control the camera. Or that there isn't an option to have the camera swing behind my back when I move.

Anyways this game is p cool. I open up worlds by collecting jiggies and putting them in puzzles at the jiggywiggy temple right?

tenderjerk posted:

Sold, thanks!

Also sprite at the temple has a dialogue option where you can basically ask him where to go next.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 16, 2016

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

insanityv2 posted:

Anyways this game is p cool. I open up worlds by collecting jiggies and putting them in puzzles at the jiggywiggy temple right?
That's more or less the gist. From what I remember in the PS1 version it took roughly 18-20 hours to just unlock the job system. Hopefully nobody gets too discouraged before this point.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
There seems to be some slight lag on menus that display a lot of text, like in the Items screen, the Status screen, or when entering commands in battle. It wasn't present in the Japanese version, so my only guess is that somehow the English font rendering is causing some slowdown. I hope it gets patched. :sigh:

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

I've been playing all day and haven't really noticed any input lag, plenty of pop in though. I'm on a cfw n3ds with higher clock speed enabled which doesnt seem to improve most games but maybe thats making a difference here?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Harlock posted:

That's more or less the gist. From what I remember in the PS1 version it took roughly 18-20 hours to just unlock the job system. Hopefully nobody gets too discouraged before this point.

IT took around 14 hours if I remember my own play through correctly. Once i got to the island with Dharma on it and saw someone mention the temple I ignored everything and focused on plowing ahead to unlock class changes ASAP. Afterwards I spent a couple hours grinding in front of the temple until I had battlemaster (or whatever it's called now) unlocked

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

If I remember right, the class system is unlocked 7 or 8 islands in

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

I haven't broke out the Japanese 3DS in awhile so I'm thinking about Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3. Anybody played it? Is it worth it for someone who loved the poo poo out of the other two DQM games on 3DS?

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Ceramics posted:

I've been playing all day and haven't really noticed any input lag, plenty of pop in though. I'm on a cfw n3ds with higher clock speed enabled which doesnt seem to improve most games but maybe thats making a difference here?
Could be. I'm on a New 3DS without CFW clock speeds. I'm playing a digital version, but from what I can tell digital/cart doesn't make a difference. The frame rate drop in the Attributes - Everyone page is VERY noticeable though. It's like 10-15 FPS while that page is up, and a quarter second delay when switching from character to character in the Attributes page.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don't notice any frame drops there the it does stop for a couple seconds on level ups and characters entering the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time

AriadneThread posted:

If I remember right, the class system is unlocked 7 or 8 islands in

That sounds like a lot of islands.