Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

tumor looking batty posted:

I agree with you but dislike companies with a lot of debt.

Depends what they are doing with that debt.

With Ford I am a little skeptical because all their debt is focused in their financing division rather than their manufacturing operations. They are essentially goosing sales with debt. When interest rates are low this is sustainable. However if they raise dramatically (which appears to be the fear), they could take a haircut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Buy bonds. Debt is cool

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Been testing the waters with a couple thousand for a few weeks and noticed that NVAX dropped right off a cliff 85% after hours today. Why is after hours trading a thing? Thankfully I had no hand in it, but it got me curious. I'm using Robin Hood now. I rather like the UI and I'm okay with doing my own research, but I'm realizing the limitations on it. What brokers allow for after hours trading and short selling? If the OP were to be remade, what would be the top brokerages to use?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

greasyhands posted:

There's really multiple facets to the bear case. Its not just that they are moving away from what was considered their bread and butter (that is a scary proposition on its own for any company, but hey the world is a dynamic place so we'll allow it without panic), but that they are basically scrambling away from it saying "Tons of new players and there is no way they are going to make money". That is a very bad warning sign. Take that sign and add to it the fact that insiders have not only *not* been buying at these depressed levels, but they have been dumping at an accelerated pace.

Good post, thanks. I had my time with solar in the past (2011?) and got burned, so I'll probably just be a spectator this time, but it IS an interesting sector. I'm rooting for its success even though it seems like one of those fields where few will make money.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

What brokers allow for after hours trading and short selling?

Pretty much all of them, really, though you'd need a margin account to sell short.

quote:

If the OP were to be remade, what would be the top brokerages to use?

It depends on your needs and trading strategy, really. In my opinion TradeKing is a good all purpose broker, and eTrade and TDAmeritrade have their fans. If you plan to be slinging options around and daytrading futures you'd want to go with something like Interactive Brokers.

What is it you plan to do?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Agronox posted:

What is it you plan to do?

At the moment? Stick with Robinhood and just continue feeling my way around until I'm more comfortable. I've still got some reading up to do as well. I don't know if day trading would be my kind of thing, but I'm definitely open to giving everything a shot.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

TastyLemonDrops posted:

At the moment? Stick with Robinhood and just continue feeling my way around until I'm more comfortable. I've still got some reading up to do as well. I don't know if day trading would be my kind of thing, but I'm definitely open to giving everything a shot.

You need 25k to actually day trade by the legal definition of it.

And please be careful. Newbie day traders proved to be a real sign of the market top last time.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

fougera posted:

And please be careful. Newbie day traders proved to be a real sign of the market top last time.

Explain? Sounds interesting.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

fougera posted:

You need 25k to actually day trade by the legal definition of it.

You mean last time 2008 or last time 2000?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

monster on a stick posted:

You mean last time 2008 or last time 2000?

Probably both.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Explain? Sounds interesting.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Heh, DBK.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Into UWTI @ $18.38

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

They probably aren't going to pay the full $14b.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Bought some more tin and some coking coal. Anyone interested?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
How bout some POT?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Anyone know if its possible to build solar panels from tin? Its reflective, it should work... right?

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

greasyhands posted:

Anyone know if its possible to build solar panels from tin? Its reflective, it should work... right?
I don't know anything about tin, but you want to absorb light energy, not reflect it.

Unless this is some sort of joke that went over my head. edit: oh, tin and coal and stuff

Blinky2099 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 16, 2016

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Blinky2099 posted:

I don't know anything about tin, but you want to absorb light energy, not reflect it.

Unless this is some sort of joke that went over my head. edit: oh, tin and coal and stuff

Whoosh

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

There are some very interesting applications for tin-copper alloy

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

How bout some POT?

'Twas a goon favorite back in '06-'07.

It has not quite performed well since

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Agronox posted:

'Twas a goon favorite back in '06-'07.

It has not quite performed well since

Sold at $37 a couple years ago, was my best trade ever.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

MrBigglesworth posted:

How bout some POT?

I would give you some tin for it but then I wouldn't have anything to hold the pot in.

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008

greasyhands posted:

Wouldn't bet on it. Not necessarily due to physics, but because apparently every solar company is going out of business by the end of the year.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Only trade I can think of with rates raising or not is to short banks. Low interest rates are squeezing them and if rates are increased the stock and bond losses will cap any gains for the. Slowly been amassing skf shares over last couple months. Today took a little of the pain towards even but that is all I got, otherwise sit in cash

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Buy/sell the peso/dollar spread every time a new election poll comes out

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What are your guys thoughts on AOS as a long term hold? Think global warming will kill the international heating business?

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
They're moving into filtration too. They just officially announced that they bought Aquasana. From what I understand they've also got strong brand presence in china too that they're actively trying to grow. Take that for what you will.

I personally think they've popped up and might come back to earth a bit in the coming couple months, but if you look long term they will do well.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eh, bought 20. Looks like they may be having a stock split soon too. I'm in solar, may as well be in heating. I think next I'll invest in boiling water. Just get all the "hot stocks."

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

There's some upside in outdoor gear &c via global warming and international terrorism (bought more GRMN)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I've discovered that picking stocks is a lot harder when the stock you're picking isn't AAPL.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
*slosh slosh*

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Quote of the week:

quote:

Global risk is more outsized today than any time since 1930, and probably more so because so many fewer people are able to grow their own food.

HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND EVERYONE

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

Quote of the week

How do I grow McDonalds chicken nuggets?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Lysandus posted:

How do I grow McDonalds chicken nuggets?

First, do you have a good supply of ammonia?

Pryor on Fire posted:

HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND EVERYONE

I hope this cheers you up:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-18/bis-warning-indicator-for-china-banking-stress-climbs-to-record

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Yields low, so what

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Guns are up. :ohdear:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lysandus posted:

Guns are up. :ohdear:

Terror is good for that! Can't wait to sell all my SWHC after the election when they are worth like $5000 a share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
A lot of people on reddit have been gambling on a P3 sickle cell disease drug that just failed for $MSTX. Between that and $NVAX losing 80% of its value AH I'm loving reading about people gambling on penny stocks. Brutallll losses.