Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I too will vouch for the AWS-8Q's potential. I run mine without the ML, and with all four in torso mounts- just depends on preference. Deadsiding is nice, but the arms are excellent for absorbing fire in my experience, and the torsi are slightly higher and converge better.

The thing to keep in mind is that the moment an enemy sees you are helpless at under 90m, they will berserk charge in, frothing at the mouth in anticipation of their easy kill. You absolutely must stay with teammates who can and will protect you. The flip side of this is that if you're good at twisting, it's very very common for the rabid masses to charge you, tear off a worthless arm, and then die while your 11 friends rip and tear. Incidentally, this also helps win games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Arquinsiel posted:

Verschlimmbessert seems to be right. Game felt "off" in most ways. Mechs felt slow and clunky, locking enemies was difficult to impossible, general feeling of "wrong".

At least the mechlab is marginally vastly better though!

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

aniviron posted:

I too will vouch for the AWS-8Q's potential. I run mine without the ML, and with all four in torso mounts- just depends on preference. Deadsiding is nice, but the arms are excellent for absorbing fire in my experience, and the torsi are slightly higher and converge better.

The thing to keep in mind is that the moment an enemy sees you are helpless at under 90m, they will berserk charge in, frothing at the mouth in anticipation of their easy kill. You absolutely must stay with teammates who can and will protect you. The flip side of this is that if you're good at twisting, it's very very common for the rabid masses to charge you, tear off a worthless arm, and then die while your 11 friends rip and tear. Incidentally, this also helps win games.

I like to run mine with the torso PPCs too, but shave enough weight that I can run 2 MPL in the arm so I have something worth shooting at close range. But usually I find it better to try to get enough distance to use the PPCs, it's hilarious when the light mech after your butt meat strays just too far for what ever reason and suddenly eats the 20+20 doube tap. Thats when the MPL pay for themselves for me, hitting even once with 2 PPCs is usually enough to mess up a leg or a torso for the MPL to finish it.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
I don't get the goon hate on the Shadowhawk. It's silly high shoulder mounts make it an amazing hillhumper. With my 5M dual UAC5/ERPPC I regularly break 1k dmg/drop with it, unless a brawler berserk charges me. and even then, if i see em coming i can put some serious hurt down before they close on me. Plus the 2D2 really does make a great brawler. Superior to griffin imo.

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015

Rysithusiku posted:

I don't get the goon hate on the Shadowhawk. It's silly high shoulder mounts make it an amazing hillhumper. With my 5M dual UAC5/ERPPC I regularly break 1k dmg/drop with it, unless a brawler berserk charges me. and even then, if i see em coming i can put some serious hurt down before they close on me. Plus the 2D2 really does make a great brawler. Superior to griffin imo.

Part of it is playstyle (most goons prefer to brawl) and part of it is probably leftover hate from the poptart days. SOOOOO many of these bastards back then made me loathe them on a visceral level. Like....I hate them so much that I have 3 sitting in my inventory that I've never even basiced.

Are they kind of squishy now? I've noticed that they are almost as tall as my atlas which seems......dumb. Also can anyone list the brawly build? I'm going to build one.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Zyphoid posted:

Part of it is playstyle (most goons prefer to brawl) and part of it is probably leftover hate from the poptart days. SOOOOO many of these bastards back then made me loathe them on a visceral level. Like....I hate them so much that I have 3 sitting in my inventory that I've never even basiced.

Are they kind of squishy now? I've noticed that they are almost as tall as my atlas which seems......dumb. Also can anyone list the brawly build? I'm going to build one.

This is roughly what I use

SHD-2D2

it is a bit squishy with the XL, but the arms shield well and you pump out a LOT of damage very quickly

you'll likely never use all your AC/10 ammo so you can afford to take some situational potshots with it

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Their height is definitely an issue (especially on the brawler. if you can't close distance cleanly you'll be dead before you ever engage), but it's actually sort of an asset on hillhumper builds. Allows you to hump steeper cover more easily. Even small buildings or cliffs that wouldnt be possible on shorter mechs (if you play your angles right). Plus, nobody EVER goes for the legs on a SHD due to its big ol torso hitbox. Makes its really easy to strip out a little leg armor to buff up your shield side or pick up a bit of extra ammo.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
The Night Gyr has been made for Terra Therma: http://mwomercs.com/news/2016/09/1631-countdown-to-night-gyr

quote:

EXTERNAL HEAT TRANSFER QUIRK

To account for their use of Laser Heat Sinks in BattleTech lore, all Night Gyr variants possess a -100% External Heat Transfer quirk. This causes the Night Gyr to ignore all environmental Heat effects that would normally affect the Heat state of other 'Mechs. Whereas a normal 'Mech dropping on a hot map such as Terra Therma would run at a higher base Heat depending on the number of Heat Sinks it has equipped, the Night Gyr always runs at a base Heat of 0%. Further, the Night Gyr can trudge through environmental hot spots with no penalty to its base Heat.On the other hand, the Night Gyr receives no boost to its Heat Sink efficiency on cold maps.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Pretty cool feature but what's that 2.5%xp for? Seems extremely useless.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Set bonus for having all of the variants original omni pods, probably.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

TjyvTompa posted:

Pretty cool feature but what's that 2.5%xp for? Seems extremely useless.

The other quirks might also be set of 8. The XP Bonus is meant to encourage using the stock pod setup. Because MAH IMMERSION! MY HOMEPLANET!

P.S.
Is the Shadowhawk Mastery Pack good? I'm tempted...

EDIT
It's 5 Days till the release of the Night Gyr. If you plan to buy Kodiaks, but them now. Leveling them against (somewhat) slow Heavy Clan Mechs will be easier than normal.

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 15, 2016

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I love mediums, and my time in the hawksmwas mixed coming from trebs, griffins, centurions, hunchies, and also storm crow/nova.

The high engines cap is nice, but even with a 300 in it it didn't feel really snappy like some other mediums. Not even a hint of mobility quirks. This opinion may be lack of double basics at work.

They brawl and do midrange to long ranges fine. Hardpoints are interesting. You give up Artemis to use the cockpit launcher, do get used to srm4s, but it can also use lrm5 to slog basics.

The shoulder cannon has amazing clearance as a high mount.

The other quirks own tho. Weapons and durability in particular. There's one with 25 percent ballistic cd and 3 shoulder ballistic. You can triple ac2 it, and the energy model can run triple lpl if you stretch a bit. If you like tbolts, give it a shot.

Basically it's a more varied Griffin with less jumpjets. Most models top out at 3.

The 2d2 owns at scouting tho. 4 srm and an ac ten plus toughness is fairly mean.

Side question tho how the heck did you fit a ppc AND 2 uac5 on the 5m?? How slow were you going? That was the model I was kind of struggling with to make work, and I ended up wishing I'd picked another shadow hawk, even with the jam chance bonus.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

TheParadigm posted:

I love mediums, and my time in the hawksmwas mixed coming from trebs, griffins, centurions, hunchies, and also storm crow/nova.

The high engines cap is nice, but even with a 300 in it it didn't feel really snappy like some other mediums. Not even a hint of mobility quirks. This opinion may be lack of double basics at work.

They brawl and do midrange to long ranges fine. Hardpoints are interesting. You give up Artemis to use the cockpit launcher, do get used to srm4s, but it can also use lrm5 to slog basics.

The shoulder cannon has amazing clearance as a high mount.

The other quirks own tho. Weapons and durability in particular. There's one with 25 percent ballistic cd and 3 shoulder ballistic. You can triple ac2 it, and the energy model can run triple lpl if you stretch a bit. If you like tbolts, give it a shot.

Basically it's a more varied Griffin with less jumpjets. Most models top out at 3.

The 2d2 owns at scouting tho. 4 srm and an ac ten plus toughness is fairly mean.

Side question tho how the heck did you fit a ppc AND 2 uac5 on the 5m?? How slow were you going? That was the model I was kind of struggling with to make work, and I ended up wishing I'd picked another shadow hawk, even with the jam chance bonus.

Do people use more than 3 jump jets on the Griffin anyways?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Zernach posted:

I like to run mine with the torso PPCs too, but shave enough weight that I can run 2 MPL in the arm so I have something worth shooting at close range. But usually I find it better to try to get enough distance to use the PPCs, it's hilarious when the light mech after your butt meat strays just too far for what ever reason and suddenly eats the 20+20 doube tap. Thats when the MPL pay for themselves for me, hitting even once with 2 PPCs is usually enough to mess up a leg or a torso for the MPL to finish it.

I'm not much of a gambler, but I do like to alpha the 8Q against lights. A single alpha of 40 just about anywhere will kill or cripple every light in the game except the Oxide. Even if you just hit a fresh CT from the front, it opens them up with damaged internals, and that's more than enough to make people have second thoughts about if they really want to gently caress with you. On the other hand, missing means 70-80% heat and extreme vulnerability for a while. I usually take the risk though, the reward is just too much fun.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

This is... exactly what Laser Heat Sinks are supposed to do.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

A.o.D. posted:

This is... exactly what Laser Heat Sinks are supposed to do.
I hope they add in a laser light show when overheating.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Ardlen posted:

I hope they add in a laser light show when overheating.

That would be extremely cool.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

This is awesome, and great for you as I seem to remember you running unreasonably hot mechs.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I keep getting a timer for shooting blues that haven't figured out not to walk in front of the atlas, loving pubbies :argh:.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Azuth0667 posted:

I keep getting a timer for shooting blues that haven't figured out not to walk in front of the atlas, loving pubbies :argh:.

That never stops being a thing. Rear view mirrors aren't a thing in MWO.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Inimicul posted:

That never stops being a thing. Rear view mirrors aren't a thing in MWO.

They learn experience the painful lesson of an AC20 and 3x SRM6 to the back. I think learning is a little too tough for pubbies to do.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

TheParadigm posted:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=112&l=21f606531308f518360593132970019bed91bd32

I don't worry about stripping down the leg armor because in all the time it took me to fully master it out, i got legged out exactly twice. Heat gen only becomes an issue if you're blasting the PPC by the cd, which if you're hillhumping, you're not.
I use the ER instead of a standard because It actually surprises the hell out of most lights who get close when they get slammed in the face by it. For some reason the arm movement is surprisingly quick so it's easy to peg strafing lights, even if you can't line up the UACs.
Also if you're not worried about LRMs you can swap out the AMS for an extra ton of UAC ammo.

TheParadigm posted:

I love popping people with the 2H. Trip AC5 in that shoulder you can just ruin anyone that tries to close to brawling range on you. Trip AC2 with SRMs backing it is scary as hell too.

Rysithusiku fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 16, 2016

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
:stare: That's slower than a DireWolf. I guess dropping the AMS and a half ton of UAC ammo is worth 10 kph (or not): SHD-5M

axelsoar posted:

This is awesome, and great for you as I seem to remember you running unreasonably hot mechs.

I wouldn't say unreaseasonably hot. I always had a reason for those builds :colbert:

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Tank Boy Ken posted:

:stare: That's slower than a DireWolf. I guess dropping the AMS and a half ton of UAC ammo is worth 10 kph (or not): SHD-5M

Hey, I never said it was quick, just that it ruined poo poo. It's definitely a rear line sniper. But if I want something quicker i just take my 2D2 or 2H.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Artificer posted:

Do people use more than 3 jump jets on the Griffin anyways?

Not sure/dunno.

Anyway, now that i'm back at a terminal, lemme show some builds from the scouting document:

2d2
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=111&l=8c968780cc9d53e46022e746aeb1c5af206f230f
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=111&l=975a3742f20e8bb6077413857d6d98939106b9db

2h
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=110&l=c4c69a5231419a718a38f9eafaa6d0a14fa4876c

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=154&l=02d94d1152b4aa67eb1d99cca28ca0b46929f100

The 2k can also do interesting things like an xl350 and 3 large/erlarge, or 300/325 with LPL/ppcs

the 2k and 5m can have up to 5 jets, while the hero has 4.

It also takes to fake hunchbacking with a STD 250/275 and an AC20 fairly well. The 2h has 3 missiles and 25% ballistic cooldown, the 2d has 3 missiles, 15% cooldown, but arm-lasers.

Basically, they're all fairly good and fairly versatile. They're decent to get into because they take multiple playstyles and engine sizes well - if you dont have a well stocked pantry of XL engines, for example. Also the 5m will net you an XL275 to keep on cbills. (technically a xl280 is better due to the magic of rounding weights, but it only comes on archers or cataphracts for cbux, or hero mechs - and XL 275 is handy for centurions and hunchbacks as well, since they cap out at 275.)

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 16, 2016

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Sneak peeks at the huntsman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoDVT6PGxxY

And Nighty Geier 360°

It won't be flamer resistant though:

quote:

So to break down the Night Gyr External Heat Transfer Quirk a little more:

The Night Gyr takes no Heat Penalty from environmental Heat. This includes the base temperature of the map along with any hot-spots throughout, such as lava on Terra Therma or the caldera on Caustic. Whether it's standing in a pool of lava or on a rock, the resting Heat of a Night Gyr will always will be 0%.

The Quirk does provide the Gyr with a slight buff against enemy Flamers, but Flamers do still affect Heat levels on the Gyr. This change to the relation between Flamers and the External Heat Transfer Quirk came in with the new Flamers on March 15th.

All that said, the Night Gyr does still take damage from lava. So while its Heat level won't increase when standing in lava, it will take damage from the lava in the same way as all other 'Mechs.

While not as efficient as the Night Gyr in these respects, the Hellslinger carries similar characteristics due to its -50% External Heat Transfer Quirk.

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 16, 2016

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
This questions has probably already been answered but where does the default loadouts for mechs come from?
They all seem so weird, like the Huntsman P for example: 2 Streak SRM4, 2 LRM 10, 1 Ultra AC/10, 1 ER Medium Laser, 1 ER Small Laser. I mean seriously, that build is retarded.

Is this how PGI wants you to build the mechs or does this come from tabletop?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TjyvTompa posted:

This questions has probably already been answered but where does the default loadouts for mechs come from?
They all seem so weird, like the Huntsman P for example: 2 Streak SRM4, 2 LRM 10, 1 Ultra AC/10, 1 ER Medium Laser, 1 ER Small Laser. I mean seriously, that build is retarded.

Is this how PGI wants you to build the mechs or does this come from tabletop?

Tabletop. Some builds that make no sense in MWO are pretty good in TT battletech. Lots of them are just plain bad.

Some builds that are good in MWO are dumb as gently caress in TT. Your typical MWO atlas build would be nearly helpless in Battletech.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

A.o.D. posted:

Some builds that are good in MWO are dumb as gently caress in TT. Your typical MWO atlas build would be nearly helpless in Battletech.

Huh, really? I always assumed that almost every MWO mech would be op in tabletop, due to everybody having dhs/endo and minmaxxed armour distribution, without even getting into weapon selection. Like, the Battle Value of e.g. a metamechs-tuned Urbanmech ought to be insane compared to any of the tabletop variants, I assume?

Why would a MWO Atlas be screwed in TT, I'm guessing the maps lack cover so he'd take a ton of damage trying to close up?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

NihilCredo posted:

Huh, really? I always assumed that almost every MWO mech would be op in tabletop, due to everybody having dhs/endo and minmaxxed armour distribution, without even getting into weapon selection. Like, the Battle Value of e.g. a metamechs-tuned Urbanmech ought to be insane compared to any of the tabletop variants, I assume?

Why would a MWO Atlas be screwed in TT, I'm guessing the maps lack cover so he'd take a ton of damage trying to close up?

It wouldn't in a million years be able to get close enough to something to hit it. All that armor is nice and whatnot, but your regular Ghost Dad or Splatlas is going to be hosed because it will get outranged and more than likely ammo crit. MWO builds are "specialist" builds and very few would work in Tabletop.

Those bracket builds everyone makes fun of in MWO? That's how you play the TT.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Is it just me or would Swarm LRMs actually make attacking winnable in invasion? I mean, defenders have such a massive advantage it's not even funny atm. But if you could just coat their firing position (where there's inevitably 8 of them stacked up) in swarms you could do some serious damage.
It would also discourage the current meta of "stack 12 brawlers up within 90m of eachother and faceroll in".

Rysithusiku fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 16, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tank Boy Ken posted:

And Nighty Geier 360°

What a sexy beast. I look forward to painting mine in clown colors using the fractal scheme.

I guess the Huntsman preview is pretty cool too.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Rysithusiku posted:

Is it just me or would Swarm LRMs actually make attacking winnable in invasion? I mean, defenders have such a massive advantage it's not even funny atm. But if you could just coat their firing position (where there's inevitably 8 of them stacked up) in swarms you could do some serious damage.
It would also discourage the current meta of "stack 12 brawlers up within 90m of eachother and faceroll in".

It's just you. Making a certain weapon system mandatory to win in Invasion isn't the solution to Invasion Mode. Luckily with their current FP plan, Invasion will only be played for the last 10% control points of a planet. Even though :pgi: spend a lot of :effort: on Invasion Maps: They suck.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

The sad truth is invasion is just hugely unbalanced in favor of defense, and thats not changing any time soon.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Rysithusiku posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn7_ILqVmyA

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Tank Boy Ken posted:

It's just you. Making a certain weapon system mandatory to win in Invasion isn't the solution to Invasion Mode. Luckily with their current FP plan, Invasion will only be played for the last 10% control points of a planet. Even though :pgi: spend a lot of :effort: on Invasion Maps: They suck.

I've thought about what the Invasion maps could be used for, and I think they'd be pretty good for a Payload-type game mode.

(For the three people who haven't played TF2 or most recent FPSs: attackers escort a macguffin that moves on rails towards the target destination, defenders must delay it by either damaging it or keeping the attackers away from it. Team that gets the macguffin farther / reaches the destination faster wins.)

Four "lives" might be a little low for the size of those maps, but you could give the payload a good deal of firepower and reasonable speed to allow attackers to last the distance. I assume Battletech has no shortage of massive rail-bound artillery pieces / supertanks, right?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
How do you feel about super-heavy Mechs? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&pagenumber=1697#post462709390

Though this is Tabletop Armor, so everything needs x2. Don't know wether it needs another x2 due to being hardened Armor. Alternatively, there are indeed super heavy tanks in BT lore.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

While that WAS a glorious column of missile rain, hard countered if they have any weapons that go past 1100m.
...though i do admit to wanting to make that 100lrm stalker just for lulz.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
:trumppop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Tank Boy Ken posted:

How do you feel about super-heavy Mechs? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&pagenumber=1697#post462709390

Though this is Tabletop Armor, so everything needs x2. Don't know wether it needs another x2 due to being hardened Armor. Alternatively, there are indeed super heavy tanks in BT lore.

mood: annoyed.
I don't think I would want to annoy that. :ohdear:

• Locked thread