Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

it's pretty hosed up that a trader, to make money, is utilizing a blade server BY HIMSELF. Something is hosed up, and it seems pretty much like the institution itself is hosed up if that's a standard practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MF_James posted:

it's pretty hosed up that a trader, to make money, is utilizing a blade server BY HIMSELF. Something is hosed up, and it seems pretty much like the institution itself is hosed up if that's a standard practice.

It gets better, so I managed everything, but this guy demanded that only he have logins to that server. Since he was a heavy weight, he got it, and I had no admin access. He was a complete tool, and eventually they fired him. The server sat powered on for a year. The fund manager knew that it was doing some modeling, and producing some reports and data that they needed, and didn't really give any direction on what to do with it. So it just ran for months. Finally the manager decided to turn it off, at which point I did, and ripped it out of the room, and turns out, it wasn't doing anything. We ebayed it shortly there after.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
He's got one hell of an excel spreadsheet going on, originally built in 1992 and updated every hour since

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Judge Schnoopy posted:

He's got one hell of an excel spreadsheet going on, originally built in 1992 and updated every hour since

lol you've never worked for a hedgefund. There was a guy that had a Windows XP 64bit PC that he couldn't reboot for months. It wasn't until maybe 2013 that we were able to replace it with a WIn7 server. He had dozens of excel sheets with thousands of formulas, and hundreds of tabs running simultaneously pulling data from Bloomberg. It was madness.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's actually kind of hard to determine how many IT people you need based solely on head count. What the company is doing and how they do it is pretty important too.

If it's a giant shitshow where they don't invest in proper tools/equipment you will need more people than you would in a situation where you can smoothly automate and administer everything.

No deployment tools, no automation except what I, straight out of T1, wrote.

The more I talk about this place the shittier it sounds.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention we have to do hands-on support for locations 1-3 hours away too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All jobs are pretty lovely when you start to analyze them.

The secret is to find an equilibrium where you can grind out your assignments and once you walk out the front door in the evening all the pressure is gone.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One of our techs has managed to rack a DL380 upside-down :stare:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

One of our techs has managed to rack a DL380 upside-down :stare:

Did he put the rails on upside down and put it in that way or was there some other creative process involved here.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Got thrown under the bus and backed over a couple of times after a thing a client asked me to do while fixing another minor issue caused a DB to get "upgraded". Thanks lovely software that will change DB's silently with no warning!

A day later and the client's already like "so you're coming back tomorrow to fix the original issue, yeah?" Think it's time to start limiting scope with these guys.

hihifellow fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 15, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

xzzy posted:

All jobs are pretty lovely when you start to analyze them.

The secret is to find an equilibrium where you can grind out your assignments and once you walk out the front door in the evening all the pressure is gone.

Yeah, it's an 8-4 for now. I've seen the senior administrator update tickets at 11PM, though. If they expect my work/life balance to be anything like that after I get hired on salary, I'm gone ASAP.

I really liked my last job. It wasn't very challenging, though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My main ERP consultant is taking another job. gently caress. There's a team of 3 but 1 of them is worthless. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
poo poo pissing me off? For 3 hours today I became Moey. Monday "We got a new hire, can you come on-site and make sure his desk is setup sometime in the next two weeks" became Tuesday: "we have 3 people that are moving desks, do the needful by Wednesday" became Thursday: "Here's the 14 people that are moving today" :downs:

I've been to the other side fair goons, I made it back.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dear Customer,

Next time your company can't process credit cards and we find out at 8pm, I will make sure to not get all relevant teams involved to troubleshoot the night before, I will wait until the next day when 2000+ retail locations can't run them, so the poo poo storm can come to a head. Instead of having to deal with you getting pissy that you're on a call at 11PM, I'll direct all those calls from angry locations to your phone.

Sincerely,

Your Friendly IT Consultant

(that has worked a 12 hour day and still wasn't rude and acting like a child that's late for nap time)

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I'd rather work for doctors than deal with anyone who processes payments

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

SeaborneClink posted:

You say that, but...

Seriously, at lot of my end users (Docs, nurses etc.) think I'm an rear end in a top hat (because I'm quiet... I've gotten more compliments since I've been more "vocal" despite the fact that I'm moody). My latest new hires, to replace my old co-workers (that were smarter than I, to move on) also thought so for the first week. The last two - three weeks, they've both been assuring me that "While at first I thought you were a massive rear end in a top hat, I now know where you're coming from. If I'd been here, being the only tech for 2 months, I'd have shot myself). Not sure how I should feel about that. gently caress Dell Services.

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 16, 2016

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

SeaborneClink posted:

I think working for a doctor would be very chill, cause he'd be the one paying. In fact, I personally know a lot of doctors and they easily back off any idea once their provider tell them that it costs medical_amount$$$. But if you work healthcare IT, especially in a hospital, you're seen as a slave and gonna feel it.
Coming out of the field after 4 years, it's refreshing how NO ONE can claim that "THIS IS AFFECTING PATIENT {SAFETY|COMFORT|TIME|OUCHIES}!!!!"

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Did he put the rails on upside down and put it in that way or was there some other creative process involved here.

Maybe it's a really high rack and mounting them upside down makes maintenance easier at a certain point.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Jeoh posted:

Maybe it's a really high rack and mounting them upside down makes maintenance easier at a certain point.

So, Drop In modules becomes Drop Out? eeeeehhhh nothanks!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Got into a shouting match with HR today, because this is the third time she's waited for my manager to go home, corner me over something trivial and yell at me over it. Today's issue was that a new guy who used to be a systems implementation worker (he's that young linux guy who's still got hope) forgot to install a printer. I was busy dealing with a website being down (a live one, so fairly important) so when she called me I said "get the new guy to fix it, i'm busy". She cornered me about that, I told her that she didn't need to use that tone with me, boom, huge argument.

She's got a history of doing this, so i'm not worried it'll bite me in the rear end. But jesus christ, gently caress off lady. I'm busy. It's a loving printer on one pc. gently caress, send the document to one of the other marketing people and get them to print it if its urgent.

Comedy points, when I got up there to sort it, the marketer, the new guy, the marketing team lead and the HR manager were all crowded around this singular PC. Had to suppress a chuckle. It looked ridiculous.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

HR lady asked me if "people used LinkedIn to look for jobs"

I said well it's pretty much Indeed.com and LinkedIn when it comes to job searches these days.

She had never heard of Indeed. We post job openings in 3 places. Local community college, local state university, and the Pure Michigan Talent Connect website.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

dogstile posted:

I was busy dealing with a website being down (a live one, so fairly important) so when she called me I said "get the new guy to fix it, i'm busy".

jesus dude I know this is what you typed into a forum and likely isn't verbatim what you said, but if I spoke to a coworker or client like that I would anticipate any of the poo poo that rained down on me. Yeah, you're busy, but HR lady doesn't know what you're doing and that's absolutely the least helpful response you could provide in the shittiest tone possible. You were pretty much asking for escalation to a pissy shouting match.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bob Morales posted:

HR lady asked me if "people used LinkedIn to look for jobs"

I said well it's pretty much Indeed.com and LinkedIn when it comes to job searches these days.

She had never heard of Indeed. We post job openings in 3 places. Local community college, local state university, and the Pure Michigan Talent Connect website.

Wouldn't that "talent connect" site get scraped by Indeed?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You were pretty much asking for escalation to a pissy shouting match.

Yeah, should have just disabled her AD account and rebooted her computer.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

jesus dude I know this is what you typed into a forum and likely isn't verbatim what you said, but if I spoke to a coworker or client like that I would anticipate any of the poo poo that rained down on me. Yeah, you're busy, but HR lady doesn't know what you're doing and that's absolutely the least helpful response you could provide in the shittiest tone possible. You were pretty much asking for escalation to a pissy shouting match.

Yeah, the quote was "i'm dealing with a live website that's down, get *coworkers name* to have a look, he should be able to fix it". I'm not that big of an rear end in a top hat, i swear!

I should probably change my use of quote marks.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Maybe phrase it that you are dealing with a crisis and would be able to look at it in half an hour. We have lots of people at my office that waltz into the IT area and expect us to drop everything no matter what we are working on

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Eh, still, I don't know your exact environment but you'll always get a better reaction from taking the 30 seconds to find the guy yourself.

"Unfortunately I can't take a look at this at the moment but let me find $newguy and have him give you a call for details."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the other hand it's not unreasonable to expect that co-workers have the intelligence to recognize when someone is in the middle of a high priority task and offer to stop by later or find someone else to help.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Eh, still, I don't know your exact environment but you'll always get a better reaction from taking the 30 seconds to find the guy yourself.

"Unfortunately I can't take a look at this at the moment but let me find $newguy and have him give you a call for details."

She sits opposite new guy and actually asked him to do it while on the phone.

HR and customer services are a 10 step walk away from eachother.

E: To clarify, if I sit up a little straighter I can make eye contact. We're that close, its a printer, I am not printer man. Literally anyone at the desk can do it. It does not have to be me, especially for something as simple as a printer. It being escalated to me first thing, before asking the first liners is pretty silly, as the first liners are there specifically for the menial poo poo, so I can get on with actual important poo poo.

This has been covered before with everyone, so I have no idea why i'm even involved. Sure i'm happy to help with things if I have a second. But the important phrasing there is if i have a second. I didn't, she should move on, plain and simple. I've had occurrences where she's pulled me off of my lunch break claiming something is important, for me to find out it isn't, any one of the people currently sat at the desk can do it and that she's ignored all of them to chase me.

I'm not apologetic about this at all, straight up, she needs to piss off. Every time my boss steps out of the office, I get pulled into a meeting and yelled at for something that I either haven't done (because higher priority things are above it) or shouldn't be doing (because we have first liners for that, stop asking me). It's bordering on harassment and i'm seriously considering making a formal complaint. The only reason I haven't is because I had problems with HR in my last place and i've been asking myself "is it me? Am I the problem?" every time its happened so far.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 16, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

His response was perfectly acceptable, someone being a lazy bitch about a minor issue isn't an IT problem.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogstile posted:

She sits opposite new guy and actually asked him to do it while on the phone.

HR and customer services are a 10 step walk away from eachother.

E: To clarify, if I sit up a little straighter I can make eye contact. We're that close, its a printer, I am not printer man. Literally anyone at the desk can do it. It does not have to be me, especially for something as simple as a printer. It being escalated to me first thing, before asking the first liners is pretty silly, as the first liners are there specifically for the menial poo poo, so I can get on with actual important poo poo.

This has been covered before with everyone, so I have no idea why i'm even involved. Sure i'm happy to help with things if I have a second. But the important phrasing there is if i have a second. I didn't, she should move on, plain and simple. I've had occurrences where she's pulled me off of my lunch break claiming something is important, for me to find out it isn't, any one of the people currently sat at the desk can do it and that she's ignored all of them to chase me.

I'm not apologetic about this at all, straight up, she needs to piss off. Every time my boss steps out of the office, I get pulled into a meeting and yelled at for something that I either haven't done (because higher priority things are above it) or shouldn't be doing (because we have first liners for that, stop asking me). It's bordering on harassment and i'm seriously considering making a formal complaint. The only reason I haven't is because I had problems with HR in my last place and i've been asking myself "is it me? Am I the problem?" every time its happened so far.

It sounds like you have official policy on your side with a desk full of people supposed to be doing the poo poo she tries to foist on you. It's not you, make the complaint.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It sounds like you have official policy on your side with a desk full of people supposed to be doing the poo poo she tries to foist on you. It's not you, make the complaint.

Of course, if i read this right, he would be filling an HR complaint.

About HR.

Never seen this be an easy situation, since our always ends up with a C level, who will be pissed to be dealing with something so trivial.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The guy with the blade that I discussed before, he was a complete tool He used random go into the server closet and start poking around, and send his manager angry emails about things he didn't like "THIS ROUTER HAS ONLY ONE POWER SUPPLY" "WHY IS THERE ONLY ONE FIBER UPLINK ON THIS SWITCH!". I'm pretty certain he unplugged a few cables and the plugged them back in a couple times too.

After I told him to stop, he kept doing it. I was so frustrated with him, during a meeting I logged into AD and changed his AD password, and just told him that across the table. When he asked why I did that, I said "to remind you this is my network, not yours, stop messing with things".

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The guy with the blade that I discussed before, he was a complete tool He used random go into the server closet and start poking around, and send his manager angry emails about things he didn't like "THIS ROUTER HAS ONLY ONE POWER SUPPLY" "WHY IS THERE ONLY ONE FIBER UPLINK ON THIS SWITCH!". I'm pretty certain he unplugged a few cables and the plugged them back in a couple times too.

After I told him to stop, he kept doing it. I was so frustrated with him, during a meeting I logged into AD and changed his AD password, and just told him that across the table. When he asked why I did that, I said "to remind you this is my network, not yours, stop messing with things".

And that admin's name was Ronald Reagan.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The whole conference room got to their feet and clapped

e: just teasing

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Serious Hardware / Software Crap > More poo poo that pisses you off: They only scream at me when my boss is gone

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Serious Hardware / Software Crap > More poo poo that pisses you off: Filing a HR complaint against HR

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, it's a good thing I checked something out before I started my script to transfer and install malwarebytes on each computer on the network. Turns out I've been instructed to break the law at both of my past two jobs by installing the free personal edition on business machines. Obviously a crime that would never be caught, but I'm not taking initiative to break the law.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
We pay for malwarebytes and it's pretty good. Central console makes it easy to deploy and monitor, though we rarely need to intervene at all. We just get an occasional email that malwarebytes stopped a thing or blocked a web request and go on our marry way.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mewse posted:

The whole conference room got to their feet and clapped

e: just teasing

No claps, but plenty of laughter from the partners. They hated him too and fired him shortly thereafter.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, it's a good thing I checked something out before I started my script to transfer and install malwarebytes on each computer on the network. Turns out I've been instructed to break the law at both of my past two jobs by installing the free personal edition on business machines. Obviously a crime that would never be caught, but I'm not taking initiative to break the law.

Sometimes those companies pay bounties like Microsoft does on that kind of thing but yeah just telling them "yeah, no" is a good idea. If they bother to check that there are 300 personal editions coming for updates from one IP they would catch you easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Windows Update...

Why has Microsoft hosed it up so much?

Trying to get a Windows 7 or 8.1 install up to date is a drat near impossible task these days. It usually gets stuck multiple times, bombs out, etc.. At least for Windows 7 there is a shortcut now (install the April servicing update manually, then install the big May 2016 Cumulative update), but not for Windows 8.1, unless you use a installer that someone has taken the time to merge all the updates into.

Even on Windows 10 it gets stuck sometimes.