Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Just annex the rest of Luxembourg to Belgium

edit: and then annex Belgium to France

Even the Dutch speaking parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Stop insulting the faux-french.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Kurtofan posted:

Whoa there, France has enough racists as is, no need to add the Walloon AND the Flems.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Whoa there, France has enough racists as is, no need to add the Walloon AND the Flems.
Honestly at this point we would barely spot the difference.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

YF-23 posted:

I use Czechia because it's the better name.

I went to wikipedia to see what they're doing there and the article's talk page is hilarious.
Byelorussia will rise again.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Libluini posted:

Thanks for the info! Looks like this Juppé-guy is the best option left for France, the other dumbasses look like the personification of divine punishment for France to me.

My first computer was an Amstrad. :haw:

Now for news from the rest of Europe (but it's still sprinkled with a little bit of France):

For some reason the German export machine is going absolutely apeshit: It looks like Germany will secure global place 1 for export surplus this year. The prognosis for 2016 is something like 310 billion Dollar, nearly twice as much as our imports.

According to that article, Germany exports so much it throws the entire world trading balance out of wack. If this mad capitalist offensive continues for the rest of the year, we will beat powerhouses China (place 2 with 260 billion Dollar) and Japan (place 3, even less). The EU-Commission meanwhile, is horrified by the tension this giant export surplus creates in the EU.

Good news, everyone! Looks like now, with Great Britain on its way out of Europe, Germany and France have suddenly remembered article 44 of the Lisbon treaties. We will finally get a unified European military!

To your information: In long forgotten article 44 it was stated EU-nations were allowed to pursue cooperation in different speeds if consens couldn't be found with all states. The article claims that with consideration to Britain's pecularities, this article wasn't really used much so Britain wouldn't get scared. Now with Brexit looming, France and Germany decided to just go ahead with unifying European militaries. If other nations don't want to do this, everything will be fine: Just France and Germany will unify their military structures in that case. Other nations can follow whenever they feel ready. :smug:

And for the end, a little bit of farce from Austria: The planned repeat of the presidential election has hit some obstacles. Austria's absentee ballot envelopes have faulty glue. Now the government is making plans for moving the election to November, to get time to unfuck the ballot-production. (It's forbidden to use your own glue or non-official envelopes by the way.)

so basically France is going to absorb the pathetic joke that is the Bundeswehr, and immediately send them all to Africa on 'peacekeeping' missions to keep the natives in line?

Iggore
May 6, 2009
So what are the odds of the refugees and their descendants of integrating and becoming productive members of European societies, as opposed to being ghettoized and marginalized like the economic migrants of the 50s and their descendants? Is anybody contributing to this public discussion beside the far-right?

Iggore fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 14, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Iggore posted:

So what are the odds of the refugees and their descendants of integrating and becoming productive members of European societies, as opposed to being ghettoïsation and marginalized like the economic migrants of the 50s and their descendants? Is anybody contributing to this public discussion beside the far-right?

Given Germany's and the Periphery's demographics it's not like they have much of a choice

Iggore
May 6, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Given Germany's and the Periphery's demographics it's not like they have much of a choice

No, no, I'm not asking "are they gonna have immigrants or not", I'm asking "are they gonna do it right or not".

Things just seem to be handled in such a reactive manner with no concerted plan, and the consequences of this are already showing (explosion of population and criminality in Calais jungle for exemple). Maybe this is something only a genuine European federal policy could have managed.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

icantfindaname posted:

so basically France is going to absorb the pathetic joke that is the Bundeswehr, and immediately send them all to Africa on 'peacekeeping' missions to keep the natives in line?

France provides the troops, Germany provides the money to buy new materiel because holy gently caress the Transalls and VABs should have been replaced like a decade ago and the navy is supposed to have two aircraft carriers so that one remains available when the first undergoes maintenance.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Shame the UK is leaving the EU since they have a couple of useless carriers that won't have any planes for half a decade.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Iggore posted:

So what are the odds of the refugees and their descendants of integrating and becoming productive members of European societies, as opposed to being ghettoized and marginalized like the economic migrants of the 50s and their descendants? Is anybody contributing to this public discussion beside the far-right?

Germany is toying around with some good and useful programs to get people into apprenticeships and jobs that should also benefit unskilled long-term residents and could really bring the country forward as a result, but at the same time for every cool idea I read someone else demands to make burkas illegal or there's a mildly horrifying poll, so this remains a bit of a nailbiter. At least we have lots of money and a decent labor market situation compared to the not-too-distant past.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

France provides the troops, Germany provides the money to buy new materiel because holy gently caress the Transalls and VABs should have been replaced like a decade ago and the navy is supposed to have two aircraft carriers so that one remains available when the first undergoes maintenance.
Part of the deal also involves the french army replacing its main rifle (famas) with the H&K m14 equivalent(the hk416 i believe). Some people are already bitching.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 15, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Toplowtech posted:

Part of the deal also involves the french army replacing its main rifle (famas) with the H&K m14 equivalent(the hk416 i believe). Some people are already bitching.

There will always be bitching in the military.

icantfindaname posted:

The way the world is going, our peacekeeping-missions will be in East or Southern Europe

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

icantfindaname posted:

stop the french oppression of mali! lol

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Iggore posted:

No, no, I'm not asking "are they gonna have immigrants or not", I'm asking "are they gonna do it right or not".

Things just seem to be handled in such a reactive manner with no concerted plan, and the consequences of this are already showing (explosion of population and criminality in Calais jungle for exemple). Maybe this is something only a genuine European federal policy could have managed.

The Calais camp exists because the people there don't want to stay in France, but can't get into Britain either. So, what is going on in Calais is a separate issue from how those who are registered and participating in whatever integration measures their host country is taking are doing.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Interesting article from 2011, doesn't seem things have changed much since 2011... Are we in some kind of limbo, is this hell?

http://fortune.com/2011/11/14/why-germany-needs-the-euro/

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

doverhog posted:

The Calais camp exists because the people there don't want to stay in France, but can't get into Britain either. So, what is going on in Calais is a separate issue from how those who are registered and participating in whatever integration measures their host country is taking are doing.

Half of them actually want to stay in France now.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Riso posted:

Half of them actually want to stay in France now.

Less "want to stay in France" and more "want to stop waiting before they can try to rebuild their live".

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/LondonerVince/status/776397399912751104

:(

come on nicolas you can get that 2% swing do eeeeeet

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Germany migrants: Residents battle asylum seekers in Bautzen

quote:

Residents have clashed with asylum seekers in a town in eastern Germany that has become a flashpoint for anti-refugee sentiment.

Some 80 men and women, many described as far-right, fought with 20 migrants and refugees in Bautzen.

The asylum seekers were chased to their hostel and put under police guard.

Anti-migrant tensions have been mounting in Bautzen this year. Locals cheered when a building due to house migrants was set on fire in February.

The following month, President Joachim Gauck was verbally abused when he visited Bautzen to discuss the influx of refugees in Germany.

Bautzen and the nearby town of Niedergurig are home to four asylum shelters.

Bautzen is 60km (38 miles) east of Dresden, where the "anti-Islamisation" Pegida movement began.

Since the arrival last year of 1.1 million irregular migrants and refugees in Germany, some areas, particularly eastern states, have seen a rise in anti-migrant violence as well as support for the anti-Islam AfD party.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37372029
C'mon guys that's not even a fair fight :mad:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Makes a change from the usual way around where it's 50 antifa against half a dozen fascists.

A poo poo change, is still a change. :(

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Guavanaut posted:

Makes a change from the usual way around where it's 50 antifa against half a dozen fascists.

A poo poo change, is still a change. :(

I'd guess in Bautzen it was always like this, though.

Was sagt eine Ostdeutsche Mutter wenn sie ihren Sohn besucht? "Ich geh mal nach dem Rechten sehen."

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
It should be pointed out that police reports state that the refugees attacked the Germans first.

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/bautzen-fluechtlinge-griffen-laut-polizei-betrunkene-rechte-an-a-1112485.html

quote:

Eine Gruppe von 15 bis 20 unbegleiteten minderjährigen Flüchtlingen habe mit Flaschen und Holzlatten eine größere Gruppe, die zum Großteil dem politisch rechten Spektrum angehören, auf dem Platz angegriffen, sagte Uwe Kilz, Leiter des Polizeireviers Bautzen, bei einer Pressekonferenz.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

On the one hand 80 people from the right spectrum just happening to hang out on that square where the refugee kids were seems like one hell of a coincidence, on the other hand this is loving Bautzen we're talking about here.

e: yep, Nazis were looking for trouble: https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article158176178/Heut-Abend-is-wieder-Asylis-klatschen.html

Some pretty gnarly quotes in that article.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 15, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So this european army, what will it be designated as? The Ostlegionen? Or maybe the european schutzstaffel?

Iggore
May 6, 2009

doverhog posted:

The population of the Calais Jungle is swelling rapidly. Maybe there is a link between migrants choosing to live there in order to get into Britain and the quality and the prospects of the integration programs in France and elsewhere in Europe. It might be caused by the lack of uniformity of integration programs in Europe.

Also the lawlessness of the Calais Jungle seems to highlight the reluctance of France to try and proactively manage this population. I read about this plan to relocate the Calais migrant population in different regions of France in smaller numbers: 300 here, 600 there. It's distressing because it wont solve anything since there's no reason to believe that the new host prefectures will be better able to manage the situation, and also because the relocated migrants are free to return to Calais if so they wish.

aphid_licker posted:

Germany is toying around with some good and useful programs to get people into apprenticeships and jobs that should also benefit unskilled long-term residents and could really bring the country forward as a result, but at the same time for every cool idea I read someone else demands to make burkas illegal or there's a mildly horrifying poll, so this remains a bit of a nailbiter. At least we have lots of money and a decent labor market situation compared to the not-too-distant past.

Apparently, around 150 refugees were hired so far, on the million that have arrived since 2015. This might be surprisingly bad, since the unemployment rate is at its lowest in Germany since the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJkBky29aVg

quote:

La Chancelière allemande, dont l'avenir électoral est menacé par sa politique de porte ouverte, s'inquiète de voir que sur plus d'un million de réfugiés, seuls 152 ont été recrutés par les sociétés du Dax, dont une centaine, soit les deux tiers, par la seule Deutsche Post."

Maybe the reason why people are vocally and now physically opposed to the settlement of migrants, is that they perceive the whole thing to be badly managed. I guess it is easier to open the gates than to put so many refugees and migrants to good use. The whole effort seems so half-hearted, at best, on the part of most governments.

Iggore fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 16, 2016

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
The 150 is just for the 30 DAX companies. The actual employment numbers are unknown and for example an estimated 30% are working in illegal cash-in-hand jobs, which is ofc not very good for its own reasons.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
there is also the fact that depending on status they might be forbidden from seeking jobs

they are refugess, not immigrants

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The US has whacked Deutsche Bank with a $14bn fine, and there are suggestions that it's (in part) a tit-for-tat retaliatory strike against the EU fining Apple, which would make things interesting.

https://www.ft.com/content/28534ee2-7b95-11e6-ae24-f193b105145e

quote:

Deutsche Bank shares fell sharply on Friday as Germany’s biggest bank sought to downplay the chances of paying $14bn to settle allegations of mis-selling mortgage securities after receiving an unexpectedly large claim from the US Department of Justice.
Shares in Deutsche fell as much as 8 per cent to €12.10 in the opening moments of trading in Europe on Friday, as investors fretted about the crippling impact of such a fine on a bank with a market capitalisation of only €18bn but a balance sheet of €1.6tn that rivals most in the sector.
In a statement, Deutsche insisted it was not expecting to settle the claims for anything like the $14bn figure, which was first reported by the Wall Street Journal. “Deutsche Bank has no intent to settle these potential civil claims anywhere near the number cited,” it said.
“The negotiations are only just beginning. The bank expects that they will lead to an outcome similar to those of peer banks which have settled at materially lower amounts.”
Insiders at Deutsche hope that it will be treated in a similar fashion to Goldman Sachs, which faced an initial $15bn claim from the DoJ to settle its alleged mortgage security mis-selling, but ended up paying close to $5bn earlier this year.
Coming only days after the EU stirred up angry reactions from US politicians by ordering Apple to pay €13bn of back taxes in Ireland, there is a strong suspicion in financial circles that Deutsche could be the victim of the US taking revenge on Europe.
The International Monetary Fund said this year that, among globally significant banks, Deutsche “appears to be the most important net contributor to systemic risks”.
Deutsche, which has lost half of its market value in the past year after reporting a heavy loss for 2015, is one of the most weakly capitalised banks in Europe and is widely expected to launch a rights issue once it has resolved its major legal issues.
Deutsche has built up a reserve of €5.4bn to deal with its legal woes, although it has not stated how much is earmarked for the US mortgage securities probe.
Since he took over last year, John Cryan, Deutsche’s British chief executive, has said that he wants to resolve its big outstanding legal cases as soon as possible. But it had counted on a settlement of about €2.4bn for the US mortgage securities case. The bank is also being investigated by several regulators around the world for $10bn of suspicious trades at its Russian operation.
With the US closing in on a fiercely contested presidential election between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton in November, the size of Deutsche’s settlement risks becoming a political football that ends up bearing little relation to the size of penalties paid by other banks.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I don't think the US need a casus belli before fining euro banks. See BNP Paribas.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

The Real Foogla posted:

they are refugess, not immigrants

The only thing they are is people waiting for their asylum application to be processed.

The majority will be illegal immigrants but stay anyway because their home countries don't want to take them back.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
We should really just get it over with and nationalize all American holdings in Europe. They can do the same for European holdings in the US.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
The EU did not fine Apple nor Ireland, though. So it's mere political strongmanship and not a retribution.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Riso posted:

The only thing they are is people waiting for their asylum application to be processed.

The majority will be illegal immigrants but stay anyway because their home countries don't want to take them back.

Why are they staying in Calais, in terrible conditions, if they no longer are trying to cross to Britain? Is all of France just as terrible, or what?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

doverhog posted:

Why are they staying in Calais, in terrible conditions, if they no longer are trying to cross to Britain? Is all of France just as terrible, or what?

Presumably many of them only have friends/family in Calais, and they have nowhere else to go with any kind of social support available?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

doverhog posted:

The ones in Calais have been granted asylum in France already. They just want to go to Britain instead.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Riso posted:

The ones in Calais have been granted asylum in France already. They just want to go to Britain instead.

Lol no they haven't.

Iggore
May 6, 2009
On the topic of Calais, poo poo seems to be getting wild. Truckers are now ambushed on a daily basis. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPFTAHXnO04

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh my god the comment field