Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
word problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Cubey posted:

#notalloldcars

You rang? The automobile was perfected when the B230 was mated with the M47, and from there it's all been bulbous cladding, cup holders, rear end scratchers, and I'm too stupid to know east from west so just fellate me and get me to church on time. Usually at the expense of core functionality.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

bongwizzard posted:

I tried to find a small truck when I got rid of my Scion xB people want crazy money for them, even in awful condition. There is clearly a demand for something like the pre-05 Tacoma, no idea why no one seems to make a small truck anymore.

Even the 80s Tacomas or whatever get 4-5k easy here, with rusted out bodies and 200k+ miles. My aunt has an ~01 Tacoma 2wd she bought new that has something like 70k miles on it now and every time she drives it she gets offers to buy it. I bet she could get the same amount she paid for it 15 years ago (or more) today. But there's nothing to replace it with since no one makes a truck that isn't bloated and full of electronic poo poo so I guess that explains the demand, and why she keeps it.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Marv Hushman posted:

You rang? The automobile was perfected when the B230 was mated with the M47, and from there it's all been bulbous cladding, cup holders, rear end scratchers, and I'm too stupid to know east from west so just fellate me and get me to church on time. Usually at the expense of core functionality.

Oh god yes. I bought my fourth one in June after 5 years out of the 240 world. Tracked down the owner of a semi-abandoned 1991 244 and after three months of the occasional text about selling it offered $500 which was clearly more than he expected. Put another 500 or so into it including tires and replacing trim and odds and ends and installing a stereo and doing general maintenance, registered it as an antique and drive it on the weekends. It cleaned up really well, a truly brilliant automobile.

e: mine's an aw70 tho. The 240 collectors world has changed a lot since since 2010 in that everything good got really expensive and some stuff you can't even get anymore.

pants in my pants has a new favorite as of 04:01 on Sep 16, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

I tried to find a small truck when I got rid of my Scion xB people want crazy money for them, even in awful condition. There is clearly a demand for something like the pre-05 Tacoma, no idea why no one seems to make a small truck anymore.

What I really want is a return of the fullsized station wagon. Being able to haul a 12' kayak on something where I only have to lift it to shoulder height would be amazing.

There's no market for them here, but I guess they make them in Europe?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

two forty posted:

mine's an aw70 tho. The 240 collectors world has changed a lot since since 2010 in that everything good got really expensive and some stuff you can't even get anymore.

Welcome back. This may explain the purchase offers being left on the windshield. I figured they were just confused Benz Greasecar hunters. See ya out at the ranch after doomsday:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qPx178VfNpE

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

two forty posted:

Oh god yes. I bought my fourth one in June after 5 years out of the 240 world. Tracked down the owner of a semi-abandoned 1991 244 and after three months of the occasional text about selling it offered $500 which was clearly more than he expected. Put another 500 or so into it including tires and replacing trim and odds and ends and installing a stereo and doing general maintenance, registered it as an antique and drive it on the weekends. It cleaned up really well, a truly brilliant automobile.

e: mine's an aw70 tho. The 240 collectors world has changed a lot since since 2010 in that everything good got really expensive and some stuff you can't even get anymore.

I have that same love for 740s; I inherited a 1990 740GL in high school when my mother upgraded, and drove the thing into the ground. Everything weird was wrong with that car, but nothing visible or important until the engine finally just gave out in 2006 or so and we just couldn't afford to get it going again. The steel and rubber Flying Brick era of Volvos were loving tanks.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Is anybody getting Halloween exclusive shops popping up in vacant store fronts right about now? There's one near my place in what use to be an old Staples. It's been there every Halloween for about three years, then the rest of the year it's empty. There's also another one that just builds a giant tent near a local Agricenter complex.

Places like that, and those guys that set up pumpkin patches and Christmas tree lots, how successful can they be? Especially since there's only about two months worth of business, and you can get plenty of the same stuff for cheaper at Target or Walmart.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

shadowvine118 posted:

Is anybody getting Halloween exclusive shops popping up in vacant store fronts right about now? There's one near my place in what use to be an old Staples. It's been there every Halloween for about three years, then the rest of the year it's empty. There's also another one that just builds a giant tent near a local Agricenter complex.

Places like that, and those guys that set up pumpkin patches and Christmas tree lots, how successful can they be? Especially since there's only about two months worth of business, and you can get plenty of the same stuff for cheaper at Target or Walmart.

The dying mall near me, the Circuit City died years ago (and the Circuit City Car Audio space across the mall with it) and has only ever been a halloween store in the years since. I just don't understand how that lease works for 2 months of the year.

There's also a lot of businesses that pay to use the Trump name but go bankrupt. I've heard the general consensus is that if Trump starts a business, it'll definitely go bankrupt; if it already exists and Trump takes it over, it takes 3-4 years to go bankrupt. Also, if a million-dollar company pays him to put his name on it, he counts it as a million towards his net worth. He's a daddy's money millionaire.

red19fire has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Sep 16, 2016

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Just based off a google search about mattress stores, the article I found said that there aren't just too many mattress stores, there are too many stores in America, period. We have way more retail space per capita than any other country in the world. It's overbuilt, and the huge empty strip malls that sell Halloween junk are, I'm guessing, a symptom of that. I mean, it makes great sense from an owner's standpoint: You rent some nothing space for two months, bulk-buy a ton of cheap inventory (and keep it all in-store, so no other overhead) and pay 29-hr/wk employees to man the cash register while it sells for an insane markup.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
America didn't really think out it's business plan over the last century. Breed like you're a farmer; borrow like you're a banker; live like you just won the lottery; die like you hate your children.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

poisonpill posted:

Just based off a google search about mattress stores, the article I found said that there aren't just too many mattress stores, there are too many stores in America, period. We have way more retail space per capita than any other country in the world. It's overbuilt, and the huge empty strip malls that sell Halloween junk are, I'm guessing, a symptom of that. I mean, it makes great sense from an owner's standpoint: You rent some nothing space for two months, bulk-buy a ton of cheap inventory (and keep it all in-store, so no other overhead) and pay 29-hr/wk employees to man the cash register while it sells for an insane markup.

Yeah, every strip mall and storefront area where I live seems to have atleast a portion of its retail space empty, and yet I still see new strip malls being built. The area where the Halloween store is has never been able to fill all of it's retail space, and within the five years it's been around, it's lost two of its major chains. Still, it decided to expand and build a chunk of new storefronts in what use to be part of a Target parking lot. The new expansion hasn't been finished, but it has a weird drive through window on the end of the last store.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

In regards to trucks, I am still amused by the fact my really conservative uncle drives a truck... except instead of a giant fuckoff full size pickups it is some ancient tiny Nissan Hardbody thats older than me. gently caress I think his pickup is smaller than my (Pontiac) sedan.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Troy Queef posted:

The great Youtube channel Regular Car Reviews has done more than a few reviews of bad '80s/'90s American cars, and here's some people here might be interested in:

Chevette: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yARgE9vosw

Dodge Aries (aka the one before the K-platform): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGnMVijx5GE

Chevy Cavalier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAKdyOUas8k

A K-Car (namely, a Chrysler New Yorker): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBkjXdCf8DE

Ford Festiva: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfMFtXu3Lz4

GM B-Bodies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcRbviyMPcU and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFWD5w6pXA

WARNING: videos may be NSFW and contain gratuitous references to Eastern Pennsylvania

And bookmarked. Thank you for this :allears:

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

red19fire posted:

There's also a lot of businesses that pay to use the Trump name but go bankrupt. I've heard the general consensus is that if Trump starts a business, it'll definitely go bankrupt; if it already exists and Trump takes it over, it takes 3-4 years to go bankrupt. Also, if a million-dollar company pays him to put his name on it, he counts it as a million towards his net worth. He's a daddy's money millionaire.

But considering that the average new business has a 20% chance of surviving for more than three years, that makes them twice as likely to not go bankrupt!

Apr 7, 2003

Troy Queef posted:

The great Youtube channel Regular Car Reviews has done more than a few reviews of bad '80s/'90s American cars, and here's some people here might be interested in:

Chevette: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yARgE9vosw

Dodge Aries (aka the one before the K-platform): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGnMVijx5GE

Chevy Cavalier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAKdyOUas8k

A K-Car (namely, a Chrysler New Yorker): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBkjXdCf8DE

Ford Festiva: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfMFtXu3Lz4

GM B-Bodies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcRbviyMPcU and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFWD5w6pXA

WARNING: videos may be NSFW and contain gratuitous references to Eastern Pennsylvania

I tried to listen to the Dodge Aspen one but these people have the charisma of a dog turd. They should get someone else to narrate.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
For all this talk of American car manufacturing failure, what of the 90s-early 00s Saturn line that GM managed to stumble into making? When they didn't have names. Sure, they didn't do anything particularly well but they seem to have endurance in spades and incredible gas milage compared to their domestic contemporaries. The same 99 Saturn SL2 I once took on a road trip from Wisconsin to the Atlantic Ocean and back several years ago is still trucking and while I have to add oil about every 1000 miles or so it shows no sign of letting up even 17 years old and 220,000 miles deep.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Shawon Dunston posted:

For all this talk of American car manufacturing failure, what of the 90s-early 00s Saturn line that GM managed to stumble into making? When they didn't have names. Sure, they didn't do anything particularly well but they seem to have endurance in spades and incredible gas milage compared to their domestic contemporaries. The same 99 Saturn SL2 I once took on a road trip from Wisconsin to the Atlantic Ocean and back several years ago is still trucking and while I have to add oil about every 1000 miles or so it shows no sign of letting up even 17 years old and 220,000 miles deep.

Many people lament this as the true death blow for Saturn, by the time they got traction GM was fed up with their unique tooling/expenditures and started to make them badge-engineered bullshit like everything else they were doing. I've known quite a few Saturn loyalists and it seems that is the closest the big 3 ever came to competing with the Japanese manufacturers in the small car arena.

Apr 7, 2003

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Many people lament this as the true death blow for Saturn, by the time they got traction GM was fed up with their unique tooling/expenditures and started to make them badge-engineered bullshit like everything else they were doing. I've known quite a few Saturn loyalists and it seems that is the closest the big 3 ever came to competing with the Japanese manufacturers in the small car arena.

Saturn was a clean slate approach to automaking in 1989 that intentionally avoided GM methodology, and also made good cars. Hmm.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

monster on a stick posted:

Do you think the Cavalier is worse than the Chevette?

I entered this world in 1973, so I have had the good fortune of growing up with the most shitastic vehicles of all time growing up.

At one time my parents owned two Chevettes. They were notorious for the floor boards to completely rust out, to the point where it was common in seeing the carpet underneath the car. Mechanically simple but piles of poo poo. The Cavalier was a monumental step up.

Like someone else said, back then a car was basically "done" when it hit the 60-75K miles mark.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
My Saturn SC2 was the best car I ever owned. I managed to get one that did NOT leak oil like a sieve and I loved it. I think it was a 93 or 95 model and a lot of people asked me if it was new due to the styling and general condition. This was in the late-2000s, and people thought it was a new model.

anonumos has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Sep 16, 2016

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Citizen Tayne posted:

Saturn was a clean slate approach to automaking in 1989 that intentionally avoided GM methodology, and also made good cars. Hmm.

Haha, gotta' love the General. Between pure price, awesome dealership experiences, and decent reliability they definitely carved a decent niche. I can understand alot of the bickering within GM about the program though as it must've been pretty lovely to be an engineer whose ideas were cost cut into oblivion on one of their more famous marques while this 'new age' psuedo-Japanese bullshit was spared no expense.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
So we've got this brand that is making decent cars completely differently than us. You know what would be a great way to lower costs? Make them make cars the same way all our other brands!

- A 1990s GM Executive

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Wasn't the death knell for Saturn that the factory was unionized in a way different from normal UAW unions? Better hours, better pay, better benefits, with profit sharing and accountability :monocle: I had always heard it was the union's fault, but that could just be anti-union propaganda :ninja:

go3 posted:

So we've got this brand that is making decent cars completely differently than us. You know what would be a great way to lower costs? Make them make cars the same way all our other brands!

- A 1990s GM Executive

That executive has probably been promoted and quadrupled their pay by now.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

red19fire posted:

Wasn't the death knell for Saturn that the factory was unionized in a way different from normal UAW unions? Better hours, better pay, better benefits, with profit sharing and accountability :monocle: I had always heard it was the union's fault, but that could just be anti-union propaganda :ninja:

While I'm sure that was tossed around its plain to see what happened. They had a decent launch that cost quite a bit to get going, a few years pass and these investments have not paid off as fast or as large as hoped, Saturn models are pushed into parts sharing with other GM products, Saturn exclusive dealers are pushed out; this ruins any appeal of Saturn, Saturn is dead.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

red19fire posted:

That executive has probably been promoted and quadrupled their pay by now.

No they have probably retired with a massive golden parachute package funded by the taxpayers. The quadrupling of the salary happened years ago.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I think the Saturn died because it just wasn't very good and people were already trying to strap poo poo to their Genesises like Sega CD and the 32x, then Sega came out with the Saturn and people were like 'what the gently caress is this poo poo i'm going to buy a Playstation'. Classic market oversaturation.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if Saturn was ever meant to be a hit. They were geared to take sales away from Japanese cars, not add sales to American nameplates - which sounds like it should be the same thing, but wasn't. People who buy GM are more easily loyal to the various brands (Pontiac, Buick, Chevy). Saturn buyers were not. They just wanted Saturns. Since GM had no upgrade path for buyers, after you outgrew your small Saturn you bought a Honda Odyssey or Camry and not an American car. They tried to fix that and made a little progress, but then they made the new models just other versions of existing GM cars.

More than anything, I think Saturn was an experiment GM was running to see what would work and whether they could exchange those changes to the rest of their brands.

I really liked the plastic panels. My Saturn's doors were in fantastic shape about 5 years of parking lots.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Is this still on Car Talk? Take it to NPR

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

I entered this world in 1973, so I have had the good fortune of growing up with the most shitastic vehicles of all time growing up.

At one time my parents owned two Chevettes. They were notorious for the floor boards to completely rust out, to the point where it was common in seeing the carpet underneath the car. Mechanically simple but piles of poo poo. The Cavalier was a monumental step up.

It must have been cool to put your feet through the floor boards and get the car started while yelling "yabba dabba doo!" though.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm not sure if Saturn was ever meant to be a hit. They were geared to take sales away from Japanese cars, not add sales to American nameplates - which sounds like it should be the same thing, but wasn't. People who buy GM are more easily loyal to the various brands (Pontiac, Buick, Chevy). Saturn buyers were not. They just wanted Saturns. Since GM had no upgrade path for buyers, after you outgrew your small Saturn you bought a Honda Odyssey or Camry and not an American car. They tried to fix that and made a little progress, but then they made the new models just other versions of existing GM cars.

More than anything, I think Saturn was an experiment GM was running to see what would work and whether they could exchange those changes to the rest of their brands.

This is mostly correct. If you liked your Saturn, you weren't going to get a nicer model because they were all inexpensive cars, and the Japanese equivalents were still better. Also a lot of people don't like the no-haggle pricing for some reason, RIP Scion.

monster on a stick has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Sep 16, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So something we have in every food court in Canada is a fake Japanese food stall called teriyaki express. I have never seen anyone eat there and it always seems to be running weird specials. Either it's money laundering for the yakuza or it's dying

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

RocktheCaulk posted:

Is this still on Car Talk? Take it to NPR

I don't know I'm kind of digging it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My car makes a rattata-rattata-trattatat noise. What could it be?

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Krispy Kareem posted:

My car makes a rattata-rattata-trattatat noise. What could it be?

Sounds like a brother-in-law :rimshot:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

Calling PSU a "Public Ivy" is about the same as calling Univ. Maimi "The Harvard of the South" in all that it does it show how incredibly massive the person's inferiority complex really is.

I legit hope that some of these people are just confusing Penn State for University of Pennsylvania

I went to UMiami and have never heard that expression before. I dont think UM pretends to be anything but a rich party school that used to be good at football

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

monster on a stick posted:

It must have been cool to put your feet through the floor boards and get the car started while yelling "yabba dabba doo!" though.

True story, my dad was frugal and lazy. He let it get so bad the carpet wore out and developed a hole as well. While driving he dropped his sunglasses and realized they went down the hole. When he turned around to get them he found he had driven over them. At that point he started to look for a new car.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Waroduce posted:

I went to UMiami and have never heard that expression before. I dont think UM pretends to be anything but a rich party school that used to be good at football

"public ivy" is a retarded concept regardless of the school

Apr 7, 2003

Eames36 posted:

"public ivy" is a retarded concept regardless of the school

When I see 35 year old PSU alumni in PSU gear talking about PSU, I just assume he hasn't done anything with his life since graduating.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Citizen Tayne posted:

When I see 35 year old PSU alumni in PSU gear talking about PSU, I just assume he hasn't done anything with his life since graduating.

and you are probably 100 % correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

two forty posted:

But there's nothing to replace it with since no one makes a truck that isn't bloated and full of electronic poo poo so I guess that explains the demand, and why she keeps it.

This is something I've wondered about to with some cars in a certain window of time: They're just new enough to have a lot of nice little perks and benefits, they don't stand out, but they're still old, popular and generic enough where parts, repairs and upkeep are manageable.