Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I was thinking of running a One Piece themed game in the game room. Do you think I'd need to make moves related to sailing?

For reference: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781761

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I dunno about sailing moves, but for a One-Piece-ish game, you might want to steal Inverse World's random sky-island generation stuff only for, like...actual islands.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

Apocron posted:

I was thinking of running a One Piece themed game in the game room. Do you think I'd need to make moves related to sailing?

For reference: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781761

Maybe borrow the concept of vehicle moves that some DW stuff has used. For Fellowship it could almost be like a set piece that's sort of always there, not something that needs to be solved exactly but can always provide danger to the players while also providing transport.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Just got mine in the mail and my roommates marveled over how pretty it was! I'm really happy with it!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

RSIxidor posted:

Maybe borrow the concept of vehicle moves that some DW stuff has used.

Oh, I'm planning to run a Crimson Skies game in Fellowship - can you point me at these vehicle moves?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Gort posted:

Oh, I'm planning to run a Crimson Skies game in Fellowship - can you point me at these vehicle moves?

These are the books that feature mounts, vehicles + vehicle moves for Dungeon World: Inverse World and Dungeon World: Mounted Combat.

You can also find the cheat sheet I made for the rules here, although this comes with only one example vehicle and one example mount.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

gnome7 posted:

These are the books that feature mounts, vehicles + vehicle moves for Dungeon World: Inverse World and Dungeon World: Mounted Combat.

You can also find the cheat sheet I made for the rules here, although this comes with only one example vehicle and one example mount.

Cool, thanks.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The Dragon is now officially out.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The Constructed has been a little bit delayed by my main artist being half dead but it and the Remnant are still coming, don't you worry.

But way more importantly, I've announced my next game, and also next Kickstarter project:

Panic At The Dojo

This had the working title Kung Fu Anime Wizards until two days ago, and I think that encapsulates roughly what it is about. The setting is "Jackie Chan movies and Shaolin Soccer are documentaries." Fighting breaks out at the drop of a hat, and nobody ever gets seriously hurt over it. Everyone you know has their own unique fighting style, unless they're part of a school, where 300+ people also know the same unique fighting style they do.

And for a crunch teaser, I'm going to post a sample character with absolutely zero context what these abilities do or mean:

Although I can tell you they are very reckless and deal lots of damage to large areas with wild abandon.

I'm not sure exactly when this will go live but it should be soon. Less than two months away, but probably not up in August.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I am down for "The world after the ending of Shaolin Soccer: the game" (Which I also ran as a Feng Shui Guiding Hand Victory Critical shift one shot once)

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

This reminds me a bit of Final Stand. Any inspiration there?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Hey Gnome, was there any recourse for those who got the misnumbered books? Maybe I missed it somewhere. Thanks.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

gnome7 posted:

Panic At The Dojo

very good, very nice, want it a lot thanks.

Zenos Paradise
Apr 2, 2011

Did somebody say honeypot?
I didn't back your last kickstarter. I won't make the same mistake twice! This looks dope as hell

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Fumaofthelake posted:

This reminds me a bit of Final Stand. Any inspiration there?

Do you mean Last Stand, by Funhaver Games? Not particularly. I mean, everything I write is probably going to have some influence from that, but the two games don't mechanically or thematically have anything in common.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Hey Gnome, was there any recourse for those who got the misnumbered books? Maybe I missed it somewhere. Thanks.

The depends. If it was a signed book by me, then no, because I cannot afford to even attempt to re-order/re-write in/re-send out 130ish books.

If you ordered it through Drivethru RPG, I heard some people had success with emailing DTRPG's customer support and getting them to send you a new copy.

If you still have the kickstarter coupon to get the book printed at cost, that should still work. If it doesn't, contact me through email or kickstarter messaging and I'll send you a new code. This option will run you around $30 + Shipping, but it will get you the fixed book at the cheapest possible price.

If you did not get it through kickstarter and have a hardcover copy with messed up page numbers, you can email me anyway at liberi.gothica@gmail.com and I will email you a printing code to get a new copy of hardcover Fellowship at cost.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cat Face Joe posted:

I got them to send me a corrected copy for free. I had to follow up a month after they said they'd get me a new copy because one didn't show up, but they sent it the second time and gave me $10.00 store credit for forgetting to do it before. Send them a message through this: http://support.drivethrurpg.com/hc/en-us/requests/new with a pdf or image file full of the printing errors. I gave my order info too just to be safe

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
So Panic At The Dojo allows me to finally play a game based off of Kung Fu Hustle?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Nope, though I do like Last Stand, I did mean Final Stand. It's written to play something like Tekken or the like I think.

There was going to be a pbp here to reskin it to do a Space Jam/Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden style game but it never made it past character creation so I never actually played the system.

I should add that I don't actually know if it's a favorable comparison but the game I had in my head seemed cool so at least in that way it definitely is.

Fumaofthelake fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 11, 2016

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Fumaofthelake posted:

Nope, though I do like Last Stand, I did mean Final Stand. It's written to play something like Tekken or the like I think.

There was going to be a pbp here to reskin it to do a Space Jam/Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden style game but it never made it past character creation so I never actually played the system.

I should add that I don't actually know if it's a favorable comparison but the game I had in my head seemed cool so at least in that way it definitely is.

Oh, yes, okay. My first google check for Final Stand Tabletop just kept bringing up Last Stand stuff so I was confused. Refining the search to "Final Stand Tabletop RPG" did the trick, and yeah. Kinda like that, except not super slow and based entirely around 1v1 fights that go on forever while everyone else sorta watches. I played that game a year or two ago and forgot its name entirely, because it was not very good.

kalonZombie posted:

So Panic At The Dojo allows me to finally play a game based off of Kung Fu Hustle?

Yes, actually. That's one of my example influences in the second paragraph of the draft.

Also, I have realized Bandito Slim is a really bad character for showing this off as a kung fu fighting game. I kinda made him to see if I could, really. He was an old tabletop character of mine who I've always wanted to play again but never really had a system that let me. So, I've whipped up a new character to show off the game a bit better.

Meet Halo Hunter Treble.

Her combat style is based on picking an enemy and locking them down. Judgment Watcher stance lets her make counter-moves, while Winged Sun Stance gives her the ability to endlessly follow her target no matter what tricks they try to pull. If things get too rough, she can switch to Halo Zen stance to build up a shield and get rid of any weird status conditions she's suffering. Treble is a relentless fighter who does not back off or back down until victory is hers.

Here's a close-up of her art:

I also need playtesters. As of now, the draft is far enough along that the game is very much playable, although I expect a lot of balance weirdness around. So I need people who will read it, play it, and then email me about their experience and anything that felt out of place. I want to know if anything seems unclear, useless, or overpowered, and also your general impression about how various parts of the game work. If you are interested, please email me at liberi.gothica@gmail.com.

Serious inquiries only, please! Anyone who gives me feedback will be credited in the final book as a playtester.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I really like the panic at the dojo idea. Can't wait to see the final version.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Cat Face Joe posted:

Nope, there wasn't, which is why if I back any future gnome kickstarters it'll be at digital-only tiers.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Nuns with Guns posted:

I got them to send me a corrected copy for free. I had to follow up a month after they said they'd get me a new copy because one didn't show up, but they sent it the second time and gave me $10.00 store credit for forgetting to do it before. Send them a message through this: http://support.drivethrurpg.com/hc/en-us/requests/new with a pdf or image file full of the printing errors. I gave my order info too just to be safe

I thought I had put in a ticket at the time, but I guess I hadn't. They asked for pictures and said they'd put a replacement order together when they got them. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I requested a replacement book. They asked for some photos and they shipped it the next day. Got it a week later.

The correctly printed book is nice, though some of the images are poor quality.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I just ran my first session of this and it totally rocks. Beautiful system, cheers to gnome7.

There's something I'd like to clear up about dealing with big threats, which was the only stumbling stone that I ran into.

gnome7 posted:

That looks great!

Generals do not have any special protections, no. The Overlord and Set Pieces only take damage if they'd be Destroyed, but Generals can be Destroyed as normal. This is the main reason they should have minions with them - once you reach them, while they are scary and will make you pay for attacking them, a General isn't any tougher than anyone else.

If you want a General to stand alone as a big scary terminator threat, I don't see any reason you couldn't make Destroying Them only deal damage, like it does to the Overlord. But I'd only make that change for a loner General who doesn't rely on minions to get things done.

I read this differently. The Overlord Basic Moves (p. 162) say that the Overlord and their Generals have all of these moves, from An Offer You Can't Refuse to Twist the Knife. This includes the Overlord Damage move, which says that when you take damage,

I didn't come across that reading until after my first session. The Orc and the Overlord's orcish Warmonger General were having an honour duel in front of the Overlord's army (because the Orc's people were already conquered by the Overlord, and the Orc player commanded lore about the Orcish honour system about who gets to be the boss). the Squire managed to keep the General busy by taunting him while in the crowd, which gave the Orc an advantage to Finish Him by chopping off the General's head from behind. It was cool, but it was a fight that was over very quickly, and all the players found it underwhelming. Finding that Overlord Damage thing made sense to me, because it makes the Generals more able to be the recurring threats that I suspect they're meant to be. So your 'change' is my default interpretation, unless I've misread the "The Overlord and their Generals have all of these moves" thing.

But maybe the other reason I struggled to make the General a plausible threat is because I'm not much good at that in general. I had the Fellowship run into a Giant (the True Threat from one of the set pieces). I intended them to skirmish with it for a little while as it caused collateral damage and brought the building down around them, but as soon as they ran into it, the Star Elf immediately decided she'd keep it busy by blinding it with an arrow (7-9 result, disorienting it for a moment) and the Orc used that as an advantage to Finish It with a 10+. That means a dead giant, and I might have interpreted the rules too liberally in the Fellowship's favour for that one, because that was also underwhelming. I know in most PbtA games you're supposed to dynamically ramp threats up and down depending on what's required by making your Moves harder or softer, but Fellowship has a much more mechanically defined system of Advantage and Finishing Them that I wanted to follow closely to the rules. 'When you do something that sounds like an Advantage, you have an Advantage' applies here - and there's no wording on Finish Them that implies a harder Trigger, it's just "When you attempt to defeat an enemy you have an advantage over..."

How do I ramp up the difficulty of that challenge within the rules of Fellowship? In that case, when the Elf said "I want to shoot a dazzling arrow in its face to blind it" as soon as they stumbled into the Giant's lair, how should I have interpreted that? Should I have made a hard Cut immediately to say that the Giant's not to be hosed with, and you need to be cleverer than that to keep it busy? Because that doesn't seem right, it's a perfectly sensible way to create an opening on a giant. Or is the underwhelming nature of that encounter more in how the Orc's single 10+ on Finish Them ended it without a fight? I'd like to use the Overlord Damage rule on more than just Overlords and Generals, if I want to particularly play up a threat, but that's not in the rules so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

We just went and rolled with it, which might actually be what I'm supposed to do in this case, but I'd like to know if I have the option of scaling an encounter's difficulty up and down on the fly like I do in Dungeon World, when I say "you can't just hack and slash, the dragon is bigger and badder than you, you'll need to find a way to its weak spots..." - which Fellowship in principle codifies with the Advantage rule. Am I supposed to be able to say "You can't just Keep It Busy, you'll have to Overcome its attacks first"? It felt like none of the players actually triggered Overcome at all in my session.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Litany Unheard posted:

I requested a replacement book. They asked for some photos and they shipped it the next day. Got it a week later.
The correctly printed book is nice, though some of the images are poor quality.

After I submitted the photos, they said they needed to investigate the issue. Today I got a mail saying that there had been a problem with the file, and that since they had confirmed a fix, a replacement copy had been ordered and will be on the way. So color me extremely please with Drivethru's customer service.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Boing posted:

How do I ramp up the difficulty of that challenge within the rules of Fellowship? In that case, when the Elf said "I want to shoot a dazzling arrow in its face to blind it" as soon as they stumbled into the Giant's lair, how should I have interpreted that? Should I have made a hard Cut immediately to say that the Giant's not to be hosed with, and you need to be cleverer than that to keep it busy? Because that doesn't seem right, it's a perfectly sensible way to create an opening on a giant. Or is the underwhelming nature of that encounter more in how the Orc's single 10+ on Finish Them ended it without a fight? I'd like to use the Overlord Damage rule on more than just Overlords and Generals, if I want to particularly play up a threat, but that's not in the rules so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

We just went and rolled with it, which might actually be what I'm supposed to do in this case, but I'd like to know if I have the option of scaling an encounter's difficulty up and down on the fly like I do in Dungeon World, when I say "you can't just hack and slash, the dragon is bigger and badder than you, you'll need to find a way to its weak spots..." - which Fellowship in principle codifies with the Advantage rule. Am I supposed to be able to say "You can't just Keep It Busy, you'll have to Overcome its attacks first"? It felt like none of the players actually triggered Overcome at all in my session.

If it were me, I would make them do more to actually get an advantage over it. A giant is a huge (literally) threat, and while the arrow is a good idea it's not enough, on its own, to give the party the means to immediately destroy it. It's still 20 feet tall and swinging its weapons or fists in mad arcs trying to land a blow. Maybe they blind it but you make a soft cut and now they have to dodge out of the way of the maddened giant charging blindly at them (using Overcome). Now its blinded but its vital bits are still out of reach, so how is the orc getting up there to deal a mortal blow? Time for someone to roll to Keep It Busy while the orc Overcomes the challenge of climbing up on or getting above the brute. And after each of these actions they have to Overcome another attack by the giant. It slams into a nearby wall sending boulders showering down! Oh no! But finally the orc is above, the folks below have kept its attention, and now the orc has a real strong Advantage over the beleaguered giant and it's time to Finish Them.

atholbrose posted:

After I submitted the photos, they said they needed to investigate the issue. Today I got a mail saying that there had been a problem with the file, and that since they had confirmed a fix, a replacement copy had been ordered and will be on the way. So color me extremely please with Drivethru's customer service.

Yeah I was impressed. They responded to my initial email within half an hour. I was expecting it to take days but they shipped out a replacement in no time.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I know Overlord and General damage chat was a couple of pages ago, but I'm still confused by the conclusion of that discussion, mainly that you could just up and Finish a General with a single roll of 10+. That's not at all the conclusion I'm drawing from the rules.

The General has all the Overlord's Core Moves unless stated otherwise. The Overlord Damage Move doesn't have a caveat in it that Generals don't have it. Thus, by my reading, when a character Finishes a General with a roll of 10+ while the General still has undamaged stats, the General will be able to ignore being destroyed by damaging an undamaged stat. (Unless, of course, it's their last undamaged stat, in which case they'd be taken out anyway.)

Is my reading on this completely wrong or is there something else I'm missing?

Also, I'll finally be able to actually run this game starting this weekend since I got my friends to agree to try it. At this point one of my friends is looking at the Elf and another is looking at the Harbinger. No idea on what everyone else is picking.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Looking at things through a LOTR lens, is the Giant playbook meant to cover Ents too?

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Looking at things through a LOTR lens, is the Giant playbook meant to cover Ents too?

Someone earlier in the thread said they played a game with a Giant that was an Ent who had an herb garden growing out of her back, so yes.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Cool, thanks.

inklesspen posted:

Nope, there wasn't, which is why if I back any future gnome kickstarters it'll be at digital-only tiers.

gently caress off

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Cat Face Joe posted:

gently caress off

"I had problems with a part of this service and so I will only support it in a way that I feel is reliable."

"gently caress OFF!"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Zurui posted:

"I had problems with a part of this service and so I will only support it in a way that I feel is reliable."

"gently caress OFF!"

It wasn't gnome's fault though, you can't really blame a person for the actions of a third party hired by them when the third party is willing and able to provide redress for their mistake. It would be different if the responsibility fell on the first party instead of the third party, but it doesn't, as the book in question was shipped straight from the printer to the backer, and not to gnome for review.

So no, it's not that, it's someone being an rear end, and someone else being an rear end right back at them. Followed by, I guess, you also being an rear end :v:

There are plenty of valid reasons to back at a digital tier over a physical one, but 'the printer hosed up and I didn't feel like contacting them for a replacement, also I'm going to spread misinformation about it on the internet' isn't one of them.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Except that the signed hard copies were all done on the misprint ones and not replaceable by contacting drivethru.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Zurui posted:

"gently caress OFF!"

thank u for this hot take in these trying elfbook tymes

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Kwyndig posted:

It wasn't gnome's fault though, you can't really blame a person for the actions of a third party hired by them when the third party is willing and able to provide redress for their mistake. It would be different if the responsibility fell on the first party instead of the third party, but it doesn't, as the book in question was shipped straight from the printer to the backer, and not to gnome for review.

I'm a big fan of gnome's work, but that's not how I read the kickstarter update/things posted in this thread. My impression was that the art resolution issues and the page numbering were errors at their end, not at DTRPGs.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It was a problem at the printer that gnome failed to notice in time to be able to correct for free and was unable to afford to pay to correct.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

MollyMetroid posted:

Except that the signed hard copies were all done on the misprint ones and not replaceable by contacting drivethru.

At no point has inklespren said this was regarding the signed hard copies, and those affected were notified before shipping so if they had an issue with it they could have brought it up with gnome directly either through KS messaging or elsewhere.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Not wanting to deal with the hassle of returns/replacements/whatever is a valid point regardless of who you think is at fault.

The poster basically said they like gnome and the product but wouldn't feel comfortable ordering a hard copy in the future which makes total sense.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Fumaofthelake posted:

Not wanting to deal with the hassle of returns/replacements/whatever is a valid point regardless of who you think is at fault.

The poster basically said they like gnome and the product but wouldn't feel comfortable ordering a hard copy in the future which makes total sense.
Yeah, I'm honestly in the same boat, especially in regards to signed versions. It wasn't really gnome's fault from what I understand, but the signed+physical tier of Inverse World was kind of a poo poo show too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

If anything this is a cautionary tale about using DTRPG for fulfillment. I know of at least one other KS (100 Dungeons) that had issues.