Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

LordArgh posted:

"starvation mode" is a myth

I haven't eaten anything in the past twenty minutes and let me tell you, starvation mode is real. :jerky:

E: quoted previous post for new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
What about the effects of having your blood sugar spike due to going from eating nothing to eating a huge meal? Then your pancreas has to make a lot of insulin to get it back down, storing it all into fat.

If you eat a lot of little meals through the day you probably also feel a lot less hungry each time you eat, so you probably eat cumulatively less overall.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Fat Shat Sings posted:

thats actually a terrible way to do it. Eating once daily typically makes your body think you are conservation mode so you hold on to more of what you eat. If you are managing to maintain a weight or lose weight while eating like this you would probably have way more success by eating in properly spaced intervals.

lol you're a dummy. What is my body living on during the day then before I eat? Mystical energy from dimension 9? No fool. I'm burning body fat into fatty acids and glycerol and using glycogen stores for energy during the day. Then I replenish them at night. I'm not magically using less calories when I walk up the stairs or beat my heart or maintain my tissues.

When I'm not in "conservation mode" does my body magically just decide to poo poo out my food undigested or something? To not "hold onto it".

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

the only hard rule to weight loss is this: eat fewer calories than you expend

other than that just try and use some common sense and don't do poo poo like lose weight by exclusively guzzling bacon drippings

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

LethalGeek posted:

That's right up there with the "don't eat before bed" in Not True. Don't eat too much food that's it, that's all it really really is. The rest is all about dealing with the stupid human brain tricking itself.

Carmant posted:

If you guys are going to make fun of fat people you should at least know something about nutrition, because everything u just said is complete bullshit

runupon cracker posted:

yes, eating one meal a day causes your body to ignore the laws of thermodynamics

eating one meal a day is dumb, but it has nothing to do with "conservation mode" which is almost* completely bullshit.

*your body can go into a starvation mode after prolonged significant calorie reduction, but it involves reducing unnecessary body movement (like fidgeting) and not "holding on" to calories

Oh look. Hello goons who understand physics.

"Starvation mode" has got to be what fats just call feeling sluggish. If you still do poo poo anyway and push through it you'll still burn same amount of calories. Because you know conservation of energy. The first loving law of thermodynamics.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

rap music posted:

the only hard rule to weight loss is this: eat fewer calories than you expend

other than that just try and use some common sense and don't do poo poo like lose weight by exclusively guzzling bacon drippings

I think fats must think they go through photosynthesis to explain where those extra calories come from that physics demands is necessary to maintain their 400lbs bulk despite "swearing they only have 1800 calories a day".

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
ya'll are stupid my body goes into conservation mode all the time and i poop once a month like a food camel

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Shat Sings posted:

thats actually a terrible way to do it. Eating once daily typically makes your body think you are conservation mode so you hold on to more of what you eat. If you are managing to maintain a weight or lose weight while eating like this you would probably have way more success by eating in properly spaced intervals.

Yesterday:

WOke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head.

I had 2 cups of coffee during the morning commute.

I swam a mile at 8am.

I had a protein shake right after.

Fasted.

I ate arby's at 8pm, their giant roast beef sammitch, a small order of curly fries, and a small diet coke.

I was 2 pounds lighter this morning than I was yesterday.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

GORDON posted:

Yesterday:

I swam a mile at 8am.

Fasted.

I ate arby's at 8pm, their giant roast beef sammitch, a small order of curly fries, and a small diet coke.

this is a trick scenario since the Arby's gave you two pounds of diarrhea obviously

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Shat Sings posted:

this is a trick scenario since the Arby's gave you two pounds of diarrhea obviously

I thought the whole point of mentioning eating arbys was to explain the weight loss by diarrhea.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

GORDON posted:

Yesterday:

I swam a mile at 8am.

Fasted.

maybe, but you didn't lose 2 lbs of fat.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Onion Buns are cheaper than Ex Lax

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

runupon cracker posted:

maybe, but you didn't lose 2 lbs of fat.

Oh ok thanks.

I always lift a little heavier on Friday mornings for some gains and so I can recover over the weekend, so I will tell myself this morning I was actually weaker and didn't lift what I lifted because I lost muscle.

*insert rolly eye emoticon*

edit - sry I'm always a little cranky when I am fasting. I'm sure you honestly thought what you said even though you couldn't possibly have any idea what you're talking about in regards to my metabolism.

GORDON fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 16, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
2 pounds of fat is 7000 calories. Some of the two pounds is fat, some is water.

I want some roast beef.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
A big problem is fat folk going to the gym thinking they'll gym the weight away and it almost never works because a (hard) gym session is only worth like a glass of beer or two small cookies in terms of calories burned and fat folk overeat so much

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Oh well in that case yeah, some was water.

Where's excess water stored in the body? Within fat cells? The answer is 65% yes, I actually already knew that.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

A big problem is fat folk going to the gym thinking they'll gym the weight away and it almost never works because a (hard) gym session is only worth like a glass of beer or two small cookies in terms of calories burned and fat folk overeat so much

Weight loss is 85% diet. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something or feeling guilty about something.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

GORDON posted:

Oh well in that case yeah, some was water.

Where's excess water stored in the body? Within fat cells? The answer is 65% yes, I actually already knew that.

I had to look it up to confirm but fat cells store disproportionately little water compared to other cells. This makes intuitive sense.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

C-SPAN Caller posted:

plus you get to take speed

My wife and I went through a period of using DXM cough pills as an appetite suppressant to lose weight, it was pretty effective.

Just sucks if you aren't in one of the parts of the world that has dxm/guafinesin pills available with no other additives because it's not an option

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

GORDON posted:

edit - sry I'm always a little cranky when I am fasting. I'm sure you honestly thought what you said even though you couldn't possibly have any idea what you're talking about in regards to my metabolism.
lol yeah please tell us how you burn 7000+ calories in a day

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Germstore posted:

that's his cheat day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NjTWvl8x-U

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Germstore posted:

I had to look it up to confirm but fat cells store disproportionately little water compared to other cells. This makes intuitive sense.

Correct, oil and water don't mix. That's why when I order/give medications to fats that are not lipid soluble I use ideal body weight or adjusted body weight and give less per pound/kilo then I would a normal person, because a 600lbs fat doesn't have 4 times the body water of a 150lbs human for the drug to distribute into.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Germstore posted:

that's his cheat day

yeah after 5 months of eating clean

dont do this every week, buttlards

RGBRIOT
Apr 19, 2009

"Beauty, packaged for a digital world."
I was under the impression that when you starve yourself you're basically shooting your metabolism to poo poo?

Not looking to cause gently caress fest about this, genuinely curious what the deal is. When I started eating regularly after that year of sub 1000 calories a day, I didn't gorge, I still worked out, maintained my basic lifestyle, so what accounted for the sudden ridiculous weight regain? 40lbs in 3 months seems rather high for an average diet and exercise regiment.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Blitter posted:

Edit: (omg!)

I found some cool data that shows just how much less fat asian people are: They only make up 11% of the overweight and obese population, and then only 2.5% of the Obese II and 1% of the Obese III.

Overweight and Obese
Obesity Grade II and III

Our long-term plan to conquer the sumo world is nearing completion, stay the course my corpulent Western brothers. Soon all the sumo riches will ours, OURS I tells ya!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

rap music posted:

yeah after 5 months of eating clean

dont do this every week, buttlards
When I'm doing hardcore Keto I give myself a cheat day once every two weeks. But you know it's a 3000 calorie cheat day with carbs and high ABV beer, not a 10,000 calorie cheat day.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

RGBRIOT posted:

I was under the impression that when you starve yourself you're basically shooting your metabolism to poo poo?

Not looking to cause gently caress fest about this, genuinely curious what the deal is. When I started eating regularly after that year of sub 1000 calories a day, I didn't gorge, I still worked out, maintained my basic lifestyle, so what accounted for the sudden ridiculous weight regain? 40lbs in 3 months seems rather high for an average diet and exercise regiment.

You were still eating too much for your body mass/build. What you should have done is kept getting on the scale and when you went up 5lbs, drastically cut down your intake until you were slowly losing again.

Maybe your basal metabolic rate may be a little lower than a skeletor person by a few hundred calories a day(I don't think people of the same size and gender differ too much more than that), you just need to figure out where yours lies and adjust to it.

I mean really you saw yourself gaining weight, the 40lbs in three months and chose not stop it. If your weight was going up you were simply having too many calories and you should have corrected for it.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 16, 2016

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

runupon cracker posted:

lol yeah please tell us how you burn 7000+ calories in a day

I don't I'm in a depressed socioeconomic status so my body actually puts on weight when I eat less.

edit - "By banging your mom all day"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

GORDON posted:

I don't I'm in a depressed socioeconomic status so my body actually puts on weight when I eat less.

edit - "By banging your mom all day"

What County do you live in?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

RGBRIOT posted:

I feel you though brother, I like to eat junk and I honestly think my metabolism is a little shittier than some. But what I do about it is I weight myself once a week when I'm on the dry side(dehydrated from drinking) and if I see I've gone up 5ish pounds I just dial back my diet. The way I like to eat honestly is not sustainable for my size and activity level, I like to have too many calories a day, so when I am at a good weight I usually spend 3 weeks of a month eating "normally" then a week fasting and that's just the sacrifice I have to make. I mean I could exercise but gently caress that/

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

The Saurus posted:

My wife and I went through a period of using DXM cough pills as an appetite suppressant to lose weight, it was pretty effective.

Just sucks if you aren't in one of the parts of the world that has dxm/guafinesin pills available with no other additives because it's not an option

You and your wife are loving idiots.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

RGBRIOT posted:

"starvation mode" is a real thing but only happens after about not eating for three or four days. otherwise there is only about 5-8% variation in the majority of humanity's resting metabolic rate.

if i was a betting man, i would say your weight gain was very simply the result of eating too much food, as is virtually always the case.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

You and your wife are loving idiots.

No poo poo why not just use ephedrine as an appetite suppressant like a normal 90's/2000's person.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Bum the Sad posted:

I feel you though brother, I like to eat junk and I honestly think my metabolism is a little shittier than some. But what I do about it is I weight myself once a week when I'm on the dry side(dehydrated from drinking) and if I see I've gone up 5ish pounds I just dial back my diet. The way I like to eat honestly is not sustainable for my size and activity level, I like to have too many calories a day, so when I am at a good weight I usually spend 3 weeks of a month eating "normally" then a week fasting and that's just the sacrifice I have to make. I mean I could exercise but gently caress that/

Isn't this the fast track towards getting gallstones the size of golf balls? Something similar happened to one of my old roommates.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

rap music posted:

"starvation mode" is a real thing but only happens after about not eating for three or four days. otherwise there is only about 5-8% variation in the majority of humanity's resting metabolic rate.

if i was a betting man, i would say your weight gain was very simply the result of eating too much food, as is virtually always the case.

What is real starvation mode? I haven't researched that. Is it simply like you said where you get less fidgety?

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
hey guess what retards. carmant is a troll and that cracker poster is a fat troll. 300 lb to 200lb is still fat as gently caress lol suck my dick blimpo

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Panfilo posted:

Isn't this the fast track towards getting gallstones the size of golf balls? Something similar happened to one of my old roommates.
I don't know I'm not a bile expert, while diet can contribute to gall stones I'm banking on it being mostly luck/genetics.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
If carmant wants to troll GBS by pretending to be a fat loser for our amusement, he should feel free to continue.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Bum the Sad posted:

What is real starvation mode? I haven't researched that. Is it simply like you said where you get less fidgety?

there are several stages but initially your body will begin to burn stored fat along with a bit of muscle. after all of your body fat is consumed it will start to burn lean tissue.

even so, "starvation mode" only resulted in an 180 kcal reduction to daily metabolic expenditure when studied in a lab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
did you know in medival times nobels were fat because the extra layer made it hard for people to pierce them with arrows therefore keeping them alive through the winter?
GBS KING :fyadride:
"and the kingin' is good!"

• Locked thread