Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Bum the Sad posted:

I don't know I'm not a bile expert, while diet can contribute to gall stones I'm banking on it being mostly luck/genetics.

I heard some anecdotes that weight fluctuations can contribute. My mom used to crash diet a lot in her twenties and developed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

rap music posted:

there are several stages but initially your body will begin to burn stored fat along with a bit of muscle. after all of your body fat is consumed it will start to burn lean tissue.

That just sounds like normal metabolism

quote:

even so, "starvation mode" only resulted in an 180 kcal reduction to daily metabolic expenditure when studied in a lab
So even if it is real just don't eat that extra string cheese stick and you're golden.

Panfilo posted:

I heard some anecdotes that weight fluctuations can contribute. My mom used to crash diet a lot in her twenties and developed them.

Yeah I just did some research on Uptodate and crash diets are associated with them. More common in women. It has to do with you putting nothing in your bowel to trigger bile to eject, so it just sits there and concentrates. Makes sense. Kinda like when you hold a turd in and the water gets absorbed by your rectum and now you have a butt stone.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 16, 2016

RGBRIOT
Apr 19, 2009

"Beauty, packaged for a digital world."
Thanks for the replies guys.

I think some of you missed my prior comment about eating less than 1000 calories a day for year due to financial hardships. I'm not looking to lose weight now, I'm good at 6' 200 now. I was asking for clarification about starvation mode being a thing or not cause I was taught it is and can gently caress your metabolism up if prolonged.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

RGBRIOT posted:

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think some of you missed my prior comment about eating less than 1000 calories a day for year due to financial hardships. I'm not looking to lose weight now, I'm good at 6' 200 now. I was asking for clarification about starvation mode being a thing or not cause I was taught it is and can gently caress your metabolism up if prolonged.

dang that babe in youre avatar :holymoley:

GBS KING :fyadride:
"and the kingin' is good!"

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

You and your wife are loving idiots.

thanks for reminding me I haven't put you on ignore yet like I intended to several days ago for being

the shittiest poster in gbs

(now someone can say don't sign youre posts and there will be much mirth)

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

The Saurus posted:

thanks for reminding me I haven't put you on ignore yet like I intended to several days ago for being

Ignore me too.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

The Saurus posted:

turn on your monitor

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Bum the Sad posted:

Ignore me too.

I heard you can write scripts for medication?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

The Saurus posted:

Do my posts hurt your feelings little baby man?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

No one should put anyone on ignore because we are all part of the beautiful tapestry of gbs. Would you rip a color you don't like out of a tapestry. I think now.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

RGBRIOT posted:

I think some of you missed my prior comment about eating less than 1000 calories a day for year due to financial hardships.

how are you not dead? for comparison, the typical daily ration for concentration camp prisoners during ww2 was around 1400 calories and that caused them to turn into skeleton people in a matter of months. granted they also had to endure hard labor and disease, but still

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

well variation in thermogenesis between individuals is... (it's because self reported calorie counts are almost always wrong)

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

LordArgh posted:

how are you not dead? for comparison, the typical daily ration for concentration camp prisoners during ww2 was around 1400 calories and that caused them to turn into skeleton people in a matter of months. granted they also had to endure hard labor and disease, but still

He had hundred of thousands of calories of body fat

Here's some medical science for you homie.

http://pmj.bmj.com/content/49/569/203.full.pdf+html

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

LordArgh posted:

People in slave conditions working themselves to death burn calories. Is that honestly surprising to you? Jesus, how little responsibility do you want to take for your hosed up poo poo where you are looking to concentration camp victims as an excuse?

RGBRIOT
Apr 19, 2009

"Beauty, packaged for a digital world."

LordArgh posted:

I was a fat gently caress at the time, and my mom periodically hooked me up with food... So ok not literally sub 1k everyday.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

People in slave conditions working themselves to death burn calories. Is that honestly surprising to you? Jesus, how little responsibility do you want to take for your hosed up poo poo where you are looking to concentration camp victims as an excuse?

you're assuming things about the intent of my post which are false, friend

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I live on nothing but sunlight

Superior Bastard
Jun 5, 2004

I wanna be on you.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I live on nothing but sunlight

I live on nothing but fatties. They are so easy to catch as they can only run a few feet before either collapsing or having to stop from the wheezing.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Fat shaming is wrong but if you seriously believe that you'd gain weight by starving yourself you're just loving delusional.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Former fatties are worse than current fatties

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Did GBS solve the fat person "problem" yet?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It realistically can't as not all fat people read GBS

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

satanic splash-back posted:

Did GBS solve the fat "person" problem yet?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Superior Bastard posted:

I live on nothing but fatties. They are so easy to catch as they can only run a few feet before either collapsing or having to stop from the wheezing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci9dCZEF6Mw

checks out

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Nostrum posted:

Fat shaming is wrong but if you seriously believe that you'd gain weight by starving yourself you're just loving delusional.

Nobody is claiming this. But it wouldn't surprise me to find statistics that show starving yourself leads to less sustainable weight loss. Eating nothing for 14 hours straight is going to make a person more prone to overeating.

Having weight rebound also tends to cause the person to end up at a higher weight than when they started. Starvation isn't healthy.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I know you think you're funny, but fat people are more like people than you are.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I know you think you're funny, but fat people are more like people than you are.

they are defo more of people

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, like 2 or 3 of me. Sometimes more.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Beaten.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress. Should have refreshed first.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Ok in order to put the "is fat shaming bad" argument to rest, I demand for it to be decided with Trial by Cardio.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Panfilo posted:

Nobody is claiming this. But it wouldn't surprise me to find statistics that show starving yourself leads to less sustainable weight loss. Eating nothing for 14 hours straight is going to make a person more prone to overeating.

Having weight rebound also tends to cause the person to end up at a higher weight than when they started. Starvation isn't healthy.

Actually, aside from those generally correct things, two people in the thread did claim to be on impossibly low calorie diets while either maintaining or gaining weight.

That's where all the lectures on thermodynamics and calorie under reporting come from since the one guy said he was exercising constantly while eating an impossibly small amount of calories and somehow not losing weight.

Other guy is claiming to be on more strict rations than people in concentration camps but somehow not losing weight either.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Actually, aside from those generally correct things, two people in the thread did claim to be on impossibly low calorie diets while either maintaining or gaining weight.

That's where all the lectures on thermodynamics and calorie under reporting come from since the one guy said he was exercising constantly while eating an impossibly small amount of calories and somehow not losing weight.

Other guy is claiming to be on more strict rations than people in concentration camps but somehow not losing weight either.

"counted" calories, not "total" calories.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199212313272701#t=article posted:

The energy intake reported by the subjects in group 1 during the 14-day study period was 1028±148 kcal per day, whereas their actual energy intake was 2081±522 kcal per day. Thus, these subjects significantly (P<0.05) underreported their energy intake by a group mean of 1053 kcal per day, or a mean for individual subjects of 47±16 percent.

lol

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Metafilter dot png

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The mantra for fat thread is "self reported calorie counts are always bogus."

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Germstore posted:

As are self reported workout regimens.

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Germstore posted:

i love to physically exhaust myself to get cut. none of this lazy cardio only body weight poo poo machines poo poo

~the yard~ is where its at

Thurin
Jun 24, 2006
Thanks guys, every time I read one of these threads I go exercise afterward. Keep shamin' those fats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
My friends gym does the full Extreme work out poo poo with diet and excersie. Then there's cheat day. I'm like friend don't do that as you'd probably accomplish your goal faster and learn to maintain a healthier diet for the long term. Don't eat 3 pizzas and a gallon of double mocha choco ice cream on cheat day is my advice. Cheat days are weak minded bs

• Locked thread