Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fritz
Jul 26, 2003

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You don't need to keep doing this, it's sad.

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Scott, you've been doing webcomics for 15+ years now and somehow you haven't died from diabetes yet. You don't need to keep doing this, it's sad.

Scott's always had a weird obsession with newspaper comics, I remember when he did a Watchmen parody featuring a bunch of classic newspaper characters and that was like 7 years ago now.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kurtz desperately wants to be accepted by the "mainstream comic authorities", whoever that may be, no matter how stridently he denies it at times.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The joke is that you're still reading LICD. I mean Jesus I don't think the hate thread can stand that.

As for PvP, Kurtz has worshipped newspaper comics for a long time so I'm not shocked that he devoted a week of strips to Jim Davis. I mean the man went back and wrote a big long apology for dropping one f-bomb in a strip. He is the Jim Davis of webcomics.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 15, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

if Kurtz was maybe 2% less self-loathing he might make a good comic strip someday

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Kurtz idolizes Jim Davis in particular. Just google "Scott Kurtz Jim Davis" and you'll find plenty of stuff written by Scott Kurtz where he explains that Jim Davis is his hero and inspiration. For example:

quote:

David’s got a pretty cool day job too. He works at PAWS Inc, the company that Garfield built, which leads me to a meeting 35 years in the making.

Many of you know that my origin story as a cartoonist starts with that very first Garfield comic in the very first Garfield book. Jon Arbuckle saying that he was a cartoonist started me on this path and It’s been my dream to one day meet Jim Davis and thank him for... well... everything. I got that chance last week, the Monday after Gen Con. The Toonhound crew rented a car and drove from Indianapolis to Albany, Indiana because David and Jim had invited us out to PAWS to say hello and talk comics.

I wasn’t sure I wanted to talk about our visit. I’m still unpacking and processing the experience. I really don’t want to say too much about it for fear that doing so will somehow diminish it. I will say that the old adage about never meeting your heroes is wrong. It worked out just fine for me. Jim was humble, welcoming, and most amazingly he treated me as a colleague. Which I still can't really wrap my head around. David said you never really get used to it. No kidding.

I'm pretty sure Kurtz's frequent love letters to Garfield and its dad are completely sincere. Scott is a man who wanted to grow up to become Jon Arbuckle.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Last I checked, LICD matured slightly in that the main character no longer sleeps with roughly the same amount of women as the population of Belgium every day, and instead the wish fulfillment has moved on to him being fabulously wealthy from his executive job as a manchild and fatherhood without having to worry about responsibility from constantly hanging out with his niece, himself as a child, his friend's kids, and that muslim family he adopted to show what a nice guy he is.

Really, it's the same as it ever was, except maybe a little less implicit sexism since he's no longer doing the nonstop one night stands. Reading it feels a little like watching somebody jerk off.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
does the main character still rape children?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

SlothfulCobra posted:

Really, it's the same as it ever was, except maybe a little less implicit sexism since he's no longer doing the nonstop one night stands. Reading it feels a little like watching somebody jerk off.

So same wish fulfillment bullshit, just less sex, more "I'm successful and have correct opinions"?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

that muslim family he adopted to show what a nice guy he is.

Haha whaaaat? poo poo maybe I do need to catch up on Sohmer's wish fulfillment to see this dumb poo poo.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

SynthOrange posted:

Sometimes comics just die.

Better to fade out than MSPA your way to an ending.

What is "MSPAing your way to an ending"?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

What is "MSPAing your way to an ending"?

Appending, due to a sense of obligation, an extravagantly-produced perfunctory conclusion containing neither closure nor any of the appeal of the preceding work.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'm amazed that a comic written by a man named Ryan Sohmer about a man named Rayne Summers who has luscious thick hair, bangs hot babes constantly, and is fabulously wealthy doesn't instantly blind anyone who reads it from secondhand embarrassment.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Nuns with Guns posted:

Rayne Summers

Wait really? I never read licd but somehow I always thought Ryan Sohmer was the character's name :v:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Renaissance Robot posted:

Wait really? I never read licd but somehow I always thought Ryan Sohmer was the character's name :v:

Of course not, then it would be a self insert character obviously

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a cartoon, or whether I am now a cartoon, dreaming I am a man.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I'm really curious what the next page of Dr. McNinja is going to be. Is this a fakeout somehow, or did King Rad just have a death wish, or is he going to say "ha ha, you technically just killed the president of the United States, making my nemesis do that is radical enough to die for", or what?

Whatever the case, looks like we're closing in on this, which has been hanging over Doc's head for a long time now (and probably explains his comment "have I been here before?")

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I stopped reading Dr McNinja years ago, so I've been catching up. Eight hundred pages deep, just another thousand to go! :dance:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm not entirely sure when I started following Dr. McNinja (Though it was definitely before it went to color, so at least 2008), and I'm not gonna lie, I'm really going to miss it when it's gone. It's been a pretty ridiculous ride.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Carrasco posted:

I'm really curious what the next page of Dr. McNinja is going to be. Is this a fakeout somehow, or did King Rad just have a death wish, or is he going to say "ha ha, you technically just killed the president of the United States, making my nemesis do that is radical enough to die for", or what?

Whatever the case, looks like we're closing in on this, which has been hanging over Doc's head for a long time now (and probably explains his comment "have I been here before?")

I'm gonna guess the last one. Rad knows he can't make his ideal world anymore, so now he's just trying to destroy Doc on every level like a real supervillain, so allowing himself to be killed lets him get the last laugh, making Doc an enemy of the state, and thus setting up that future vision.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
There's also still the angry ghost that protects the sitting president, though I'm not sure if it's still active with the remodeling and all.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

My guess is the whole thing is gwenpool's origin story

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

RoboCicero posted:

There's also still the angry ghost that protects the sitting president, though I'm not sure if it's still active with the remodeling and all.

Sparklelord killed (exorcised?) the last remaining ghast, so that's not involved anymore.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Carrasco posted:

Sparklelord killed (exorcised?) the last remaining ghast, so that's not involved anymore.

Not the astronaut one, the president one. There's also a wizard one banging around somewhere that still wants to gently caress him up too IIRC.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Bongo Bill posted:

Appending, due to a sense of obligation, an extravagantly-produced perfunctory conclusion containing neither closure nor any of the appeal of the preceding work.

Oh, I really enjoyed the ending. Didn't realize the MSPA thread disliked it. Pity!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Oh, I really enjoyed the ending. Didn't realize the MSPA thread disliked it. Pity!

if you want to have some fun, go to the mspa thread and say the ending was good

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I need to get around to finishing MSPA sometime. Knowing that it pissed off the fans has rekindled my interest.

As far as Dr. McNinja goes, from King Rad's perspective he is effectively trapped on Hell forever, so it wouldn't be terribly surprising if he wanted to punch out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The entire end segment is literally anime, knock yourself out.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Well, regarding MSPA's ending, everything after She's 8ack is just epilogue anyway, because the true ending to Homestuck is that everyone was hosed without Vriska alive and what was truly needed all along was for the best and most important character to tell everyone what to do.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Not the astronaut one, the president one. There's also a wizard one banging around somewhere that still wants to gently caress him up too IIRC.
I don't think there was a "Protect Presidents" spooky ghost, there was just the NASAGhast, and Kind Radical became and astronaut so it'd protect him.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Zereth posted:

I don't think there was a "Protect Presidents" spooky ghost

http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/28p29/

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh wait that one, yeah.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

President Funkhouser isn't dead, though, just trapped in the Negazone (I love the fact that this sentence makes perfect sense.) It's not the "protect the acting president" spirit.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AriadneThread posted:

if you want to have some fun, go to the mspa thread and say the ending was good

It's been months. No one would care.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The mspa thread is busy writing its own comics now.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

It's been months. No one would care.

if you don't find hilarious toxxipation's personal umbrage against anyone that even hints at thinking the ending was good, i don't know what to tell you, posting friend

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I liked the ending. :smith:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

The mspa thread is busy writing its own comics now.

Good for them.

• Locked thread