Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

nerd trivia: "w00t" was originally an trunicated expression common among players of Dungeons and Dragons tabletop role-playing game for "Wow, loot!" Thus the term passed into the net-culture where it thrived in video game communities and lost its original meaning and is used simply as a term of excitement.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well that's interesting. And Reddick is still terrible.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ralepozozaxe posted:

We're getting closer.

Yessss, I was waiting for this.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
Oh hey, what a surprise. Scott Adams doesn't know the meaning or purpose of quality

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Skippy (July 19, 1929)

Peanuts (September 19, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Oh wow, what a sweaty piece of wordplay. Let's ask an expert what he thinks of it.

Yeah. That's pretty much my reaction, too.

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 1-2, 1929)

Thimble Theater (April 5, 1930)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Cosima posted:

nerd trivia: "w00t" was originally an trunicated expression common among players of Dungeons and Dragons tabletop role-playing game for "Wow, loot!" Thus the term passed into the net-culture where it thrived in video game communities and lost its original meaning and is used simply as a term of excitement.

Also it's something people haven't actually used in years not even ironically and doing so proves what a giant loving hateful idiot nerd whoever uses it is :eng101:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say it out loud, and I spent a decade in a university physics department.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Brooke manages to slip another one of his hand strips past the censors.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

goatface posted:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say it out loud, and I spent a decade in a university physics department.

Wil Wheaton, whose present-day career could uncharitably be described as either an aspirational figure for affluent manchildren or a "now that's what I call filk" mixtape, made a ~craft beer~ with some of his other nerd friends and look what it's called:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Hey, art goons...

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Borden, come back! We need you more now than ever!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I can't wait to see Mordock999's design.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (August 24, 1951)

Nancy (October 8, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (June 21, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (July 6, 1923)

Barney Google (July 7, 1922)

Alley Oop (October 6, 1933)

Lil' Abner (March 5, 1937)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

treasureplane posted:

Wash Tubbs (June 21, 1929)

:stare: Holy poo poo, Easy, that's cold.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

well, here's my entry

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think just making a really quality drawing/design would be enough of a troll because I doubt the Evanses could do it justice. Plus it would have a chance of winning.

e: the dress looks really good by the way, did you do it yourself?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nah, Google image search came through for me. My own efforts would have been much closer to what they have up in their image guidelines.

Just not as good.

Someone submit a dress that's just a gradient.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

A veil somehow made into the shape of a firefighters mask and you got a winner.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
edit:wrong thread

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

SOB! is the ¡PLOP! of the Mary Worth universe.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Tiggum posted:

Moose and Molly

I don't care what anyone says - I like Moose and Molly and I'm glad to see it. Come at me.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I seriously thought they hinted earlier that Jordan was gay.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Died. (July, 1915)

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Banana Oil!

The Gay Thirties (January 1935)

They’ll Do It Everytime (December 1939)

Mopsy (June, 1940)

Feiffer (click for big) (1967)

Jaf

Andy Capp (click for big) (September, 1970)

Mr. Tweedy (August, 1970)

Wee Pals (click for big) (October 1970)

Richard’s Poor Almanac
I’m adding Richard’s Poor Almanac because why not. It was penned by Richard Thompson and ran in The Washington Post. I’ll do my best to add DC area info when necessary.

Dick Tracy (July 2009)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Is there a reason why Hyeh-ran begins so many of her sentences with "Gee"? I'm guessing it's a Korean quirk that doesn't really translate because it sounds odd in English.

She actually ends her sentences with "ghee". It's a verb modifier, verbs coming at the end of the sentence in Korean. But it's also a nonsensical one, the meaning of which is known only to Hyeh-ran. If I met someone who talked like this in real life I'd assume they started as a child and no one ever bothered to correct them.

Last time I was in the thread I was doing more literal translations but these days I'm more into context. Gee at the beginning of the sentence is, in my opinion, about the same level of weird in English as "긔" at the end of the sentence is in Korean.

Now that I'm making bilingual versions again this will make them easier to nitpick. Assuming anyone else in this thread can read Korean anyway.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

I never bother to translate "선배" because the best English word for it is "Senpai", which isn't even real English and would probably just confuse people into thinking this is a Japanese comic.

...And while we're on the subject, when it comes to comic nerd characters, how does Duk-hoo rate? To me he seems a lot less obnoxious than anyone from Working Daze or Intelligent Life, even though his hobbies are presented in a stranger light. Maybe that's why- because Park Seung-hoon knows that Duk-hoo is weird, but doesn't hate him for that.

Oh yeah, and Deok-hoo's name is actually a pun. Hint- his surname is Oh, so his full name is Oh Deok-hoo.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 17, 2016

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There was a strip where a pickpocket tried to steal his Mikuru figurine and it was better than the entire runs of Intelligent Life and Working Daze put together.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So based on the strips from the 30's and how prudish life was back then, how did people ever get around to loving?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set can't put a price on memories.

Working Daze can't even pull off a boobs 'n' butt pose.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix posits an impossible choice.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

She actually ends her sentences with "ghee". It's a verb modifier, verbs coming at the end of the sentence in Korean. But it's also a nonsensical one, the meaning of which is known only to Hyeh-ran. If I met someone who talked like this in real life I'd assume they started as a child and no one ever bothered to correct them.

Last time I was in the thread I was doing more literal translations but these days I'm more into context. Gee at the beginning of the sentence is, in my opinion, about the same level of weird in English as "긔" at the end of the sentence is in Korean.

Now that I'm making bilingual versions again this will make them easier to nitpick. Assuming anyone else in this thread can read Korean anyway.

I undersand if it ends up being a pain, but would it be possible to put the korean in the whitespace instead of the english? It's a little harder to get the comic's flow like this.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011
Please everyone flood the Evans's inbox with 9/11 wedding dresses.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Calaveron posted:

So based on the strips from the 30's and how prudish life was back then, how did people ever get around to loving?

Hell, depending on what you read, you could get that same impression from comic strips today.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Calaveron posted:

I think first the woman had to have some kind of temper tantrum, and then the man had to smack her. Or sometimes hoist her over his shoulder.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Some Guy TT posted:

...And while we're on the subject, when it comes to comic nerd characters, how does Duk-hoo rate? To me he seems a lot less obnoxious than anyone from Working Daze or Intelligent Life, even though his hobbies are presented in a stranger light. Maybe that's why- because Park Seung-hoon knows that Duk-hoo is weird, but doesn't hate him for that.

Oh yeah, and Deok-hoo's name is actually a pun. Hint- his surname is Oh, so his full name is Oh Deok-hoo.

He seems better because while he's a nerd it isn't automatically treated like that makes him a hero of the world to identify with, but also not a repulsive weirdo.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He's also not a constant antagonist to everyone single other person who doesn't give a poo poo about his hobbies.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

tiercel posted:

Can you have an active volcano on a coral atoll? Doesn't that more or less violate the definition of an atoll?

Yup. Atolls are dead volcanoes that have sunk down to where the only thing sticking out of the water is whatever accumulates on the surviving coral reefs. You can't fall off a cliff on one, either, but she managed that too. I don't think Jam Esallen knows what an atoll is.

Calaveron posted:

They managed somehow. My mom's dad's folks had sixteen kids and lived in a one-room shack. The kids all knew not to bother them if they went down to the riverbank. He was born in 1919 and was one of the youngest.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

"Hmmmm... How do I get that other guy caught without getting in trouble myself? I know! I'll plant evidence with his fingerprints on it!" *carries evidence in his pocket and then picks it up with an ungloved hand*

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Adam Ames

Between Shots

Ella Cinders

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

More garbage can be found near the end of this post.

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine Meets BSS

The Phantom

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Julet Esqu posted:

Big Ben Bolt

Huh, I think that's the prototype Beechcraft Twin Bonanza. It didn't go into production until '51. Piper had a twin available in '49, but not with that retangular tail on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Shredded Hen
Posting these a little earlier than usual...

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

I think this pretty much sums up the moment.

9 Chickweed Lane

• Locked thread