Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I was on a tour or something when I was a teenager and asked to guide the same thing about chin straps on old timey hats . His answer, which I still remember, was two parts: first wearing the leather strap down in front of your face provided some protection , and second, if you had a big rear end hat like a bearskin fall down behind you when you had a chin strap on it would choke you

I have absolutely no idea what that guys credentials were or if any of this is correct.

in related news the military today is absolutely fanatical about keeping your chin strap buckled all times which sucks a lot more than you think it should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I think RE the chin strap it really is a case of 'this looks splended and spiffing and so soldier we're doing it!' and that is that. It really seems that is the case if there is no traditional or practical reason for these things now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GAL posted:

i have, in fact, no idea where you keep an ex-pope's internal organs

In a mayonnaise jar on the back doorstep of funk and wagnalls.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

spectralent posted:

I vaguely remember something about how this was partly because Hitler was lazy so he'd just give people ideas and let them get on with it. Is that right?

I don't know that I'd ascribe it to lazyness. It wasn't some kind of goony "I'm an idea man :smug: " bullshit, and more everyone trying to shoehorn a philosophical system into guidance on even the most technical or mundane poo poo. A lot of it was stuff that he personally never really thought about.

Think of it this way: you're a subway conductor in 1935. The ideological "coordination" of the country is well under way and, in order to keep your job, you've just joined the Nazi subway driver's union. If you're a go getter who really wants to kick his career off maybe you've even joined the party and have gotten involved in organizing party leisure activities for your fellow subway employees. There are some major incentives for working Nazi theory and ideology into every aspect of your work.

Problem: most Nazi ideology is a kind of loose weaving together of a bunch of poo poo without concrete statements on a whole raft of poo poo. This holds doubly true for the sort of technical bullshit that you have to worry about in your daily life as a subway driver. So, to fill in those gaps, you start thinking of the things that the Fuhrer has said in the past and imagining what his opinion of it might be.

So, when those nice Hitler Youth lads are on their way to a meeting but don't have subway fare you're in a bit of a bind. Is it your professional duty to make sure that the subway riders pay for their trips, or should you make an exception here? What would most benefit the great revival of the German national community? In other words, what would Hitler do?

Hitler probably doesn't give two shits about subway tickets and hasn't thought about them at all, but you can use what you know about him (or think you know about him) as a rubric to help with your own decisions.

edit: Now move that same general principle over to being, say, a policeman in occupied Lithuania who works with a lot of Jews. You know that Hitler doesn't particularly care for Jews and everyone is under the same political pressure to out-Nazi each other in pursuit of promotions etc. When decisions have to be made in the field about how to handle various things you can see how this gets tragic quickly.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Then a T-34 tank shows up and it is all suddenly irrelevant!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
did this get posted over here? pro click

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And yet my primary complaint is that the T34 doesn't have a motorized turret.

E: Huh actually no it does it's just utterly poo poo, didn't know that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 16, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The end bit is golden.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

OwlFancier posted:

And yet my primary complaint is that the T34 doesn't have a motorized turret.

E: Huh actually no it does it's just utterly poo poo, didn't know that.

Er, what, the T34 had one of the fastest powered traverses in the war.

quote:

The vaunted Panther tank had, in its first iteration (Panther Ausführung D), one of the slowest-turning turrets in the war, taking a full minute to traverse 360º. The gearing on the turret was changed in the Ausf. A, the next version, and all subsequent Panthers, giving the tank a competitive 15-second full-circle. But that didn’t last; a November, 1943 decision to govern the engine to a lower max RPM reduced slew rate to 18 seconds on Panthers from that point forward — if the crews didn’t learn about and adjust the governors. This was done to try to increase engine reliability: more Panthers were being lost to breakdowns than to Allied gunfire.

What’s interesting is that even though the early Panther turret was quite slow, it was still fast enough to track all but the fastest-moving tanks. All greater speed than a circle-a-minute buys, then, is ability to change targets, or get on a sighted target, faster.

The American system spun a Sherman turret 360º in fifteen seconds, too. The system in the M36 tank destroyer had the same performance, also. (Not surprising as the automotive gear in the tank destroyers was lifted from the Shermans).

The undisputed slewing champ of WWII tanks was the Russian T-34, which could bring its turret all the way around in 12 seconds.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

During the Revolution, Louis XVI's son died of tuberculosis, and a sneaky royalist doctor cut out his heart as a sign of acknowledging the kid's royalty, since that was the tradition for French kings. The heart was snuck out of Paris and bounced around for a couple centuries until it was finally buried in 2004.

It's a weird embalming tradition, but embalming is pretty weird in general if you look at it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Fangz posted:

That quote about T-34 having a 12 second powered traverse is great until you remember that T-34s didn't have turret baskets so the loader was in real danger of having his legs cut off if he was standing in the wrong place when the gunner traversed the turret

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

MikeCrotch posted:

That quote about T-34 having a 12 second powered traverse is great until you remember that T-34s didn't have turret baskets so the loader was in real danger of having his legs cut off if he was standing in the wrong place when the gunner traversed the turret

This was only a problem on the ridiculous T-34-3 (not the WoT one, the other one). There isn't much in a regular T-34 turret that would be able to do that to a loader, and I haven't read any complaints about injured loaders.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

StashAugustine posted:

We do have a decent idea where Benedict's are, though :v:
how do you know he never had appendicitis? plus, not all of the current pope's organs are accounted for either

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

SlothfulCobra posted:

During the Revolution, Louis XVI's son died of tuberculosis, and a sneaky royalist doctor cut out his heart as a sign of acknowledging the kid's royalty, since that was the tradition for French kings. The heart was snuck out of Paris and bounced around for a couple centuries until it was finally buried in 2004.

And Louis XVI's own heart (or at least part of it) was eaten by William Buckland, famed geologist and Dean of Westminster.

There's also a story that he was shown a church where tradition had it that the blood of the patron saint regularly pooled on the floor. He immediately knelt down and licked it up, and identified the liquid as bat urine.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't know that I'd ascribe it to lazyness. It wasn't some kind of goony "I'm an idea man :smug: " bullshit, and more everyone trying to shoehorn a philosophical system into guidance on even the most technical or mundane poo poo. A lot of it was stuff that he personally never really thought about.

Think of it this way: you're a subway conductor in 1935. The ideological "coordination" of the country is well under way and, in order to keep your job, you've just joined the Nazi subway driver's union. If you're a go getter who really wants to kick his career off maybe you've even joined the party and have gotten involved in organizing party leisure activities for your fellow subway employees. There are some major incentives for working Nazi theory and ideology into every aspect of your work.

Problem: most Nazi ideology is a kind of loose weaving together of a bunch of poo poo without concrete statements on a whole raft of poo poo. This holds doubly true for the sort of technical bullshit that you have to worry about in your daily life as a subway driver. So, to fill in those gaps, you start thinking of the things that the Fuhrer has said in the past and imagining what his opinion of it might be.

So, when those nice Hitler Youth lads are on their way to a meeting but don't have subway fare you're in a bit of a bind. Is it your professional duty to make sure that the subway riders pay for their trips, or should you make an exception here? What would most benefit the great revival of the German national community? In other words, what would Hitler do?

Hitler probably doesn't give two shits about subway tickets and hasn't thought about them at all, but you can use what you know about him (or think you know about him) as a rubric to help with your own decisions.

edit: Now move that same general principle over to being, say, a policeman in occupied Lithuania who works with a lot of Jews. You know that Hitler doesn't particularly care for Jews and everyone is under the same political pressure to out-Nazi each other in pursuit of promotions etc. When decisions have to be made in the field about how to handle various things you can see how this gets tragic quickly.

Ah, I definitely parsed it as more the former, but my understanding was definitely that it was even with fairly direct communications. Like, less a train conductor getting abstract ideas from speeches and more generals getting "We'll take out the soviet union, in some way", that lead to the obvious kind of results.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

bewbies posted:

did this get posted over here? pro click

This update of War Thunder lookin' good, not sure if the game needs ox carts though.

While discussing scenes from Korean films I can't desist posting this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuUR95-o_fw

2000 years from now archeologists are going to find a copy of this movie and historians will use it to study 20th century warfare.

e: or this maybe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIiHJHzqWbg

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 16, 2016

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

spectralent posted:

Ah, I definitely parsed it as more the former, but my understanding was definitely that it was even with fairly direct communications. Like, less a train conductor getting abstract ideas from speeches and more generals getting "We'll take out the soviet union, in some way", that lead to the obvious kind of results.

I think there are reasons to be less surprised about it in the military context since a lot of senior generals were already in pretty strong ideological agreement with Hitler and scarcely needed encouragement to undertake initiatives of their own to wipe out Jews and communists.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's a weird embalming tradition, but embalming is pretty weird in general if you look at it.

Robert the Bruce asked on his deathbed that his heart be taken to Jerusalem. However, that seemed unfeasible to his knights, so they took it to Spain instead. Then they took the heart along with them to a battle where most of them got killed. The ones that survived took the heart back to Scotland. When parts of your body can have swashbuckling foreign adventures after you die, that's true kingship.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
when QE 1 said she had the heart and stomach of a king of england, did she mean on her desk

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The D&D WW2 thread doesn't suck anymore, I swear. There's a bit of an argument about larger Japanese strategy going on at the moment: what was possible, what should have been done, that sort of thing. It's no longer endless atom bomb arguments and such. Not really much about which tank is better but it's still no longer a garbage thread.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

when QE 1 said she had the heart and stomach of a king of england, did she mean on her desk

Maybe in a shelf in her throne, like the stone of scone.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Pretty neat article about experimental weapons research during WWII from the National Archives' magazine.

Highlights:
  • Project "WHO, ME?", a weaponized fragrance in both fecal and skunky varieties
  • A scary glowing balloon to frighten those cowardly Orientals
  • Exploding light bulbs
  • Dropping liquid methane bombs to freeze entire neighborhoods
  • And of course a bunch of kooks advertising their “Lethal Ray Projectors”

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The liquid methane bombs sound like a great follow up to firebombing

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HEY GAL posted:

And the wingspan of an albatross!

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Hargrimm posted:

Pretty neat article about experimental weapons research during WWII from the National Archives' magazine.

quote:

While historic break­throughs such as the atomic bomb and the invention of penicillin were widely covered products of U.S. scientific research during the war...

What?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_penicillin

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Pfizer was the first company to mass produce penicillin for medical use. They invented the process.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fangz posted:

I genuinely thought they were hand cranked, looked it up and wikipedia says some were built with turret motors but not the basic model, and they were apparently not great?

Otherwise I can only find information on the upgunned version having a turret motor but nothing about how fast it was.

E: Ok looks like the 85 did have a good one, was it present in the 76?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq9lKJq1xQ0

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 16, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hey does anyone want to read about battleship design? drat straight you do (for certain values of you possibly not including the thread's grand elector):

The Weird and Wonderful World of North Carolina Designs:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

cheerfullydrab posted:

Robert the Bruce asked on his deathbed that his heart be taken to Jerusalem. However, that seemed unfeasible to his knights, so they took it to Spain instead. Then they took the heart along with them to a battle where most of them got killed. The ones that survived took the heart back to Scotland. When parts of your body can have swashbuckling foreign adventures after you die, that's true kingship.

Oh, was that why his heart was buried separately from his body? I had always wondered after a childhood visit to Dunfermline Abbey where we found out that his bones were buried there but his heart was stuck in the ground at Melrose Abbey, 40 miles away. That they were going to take it on pilgrimage and ended up not getting very far so just stuck them at the nearest abbey makes sense.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

xthetenth posted:

Hey does anyone want to read about battleship design? drat straight you do (for certain values of you possibly not including the thread's grand elector):

The Weird and Wonderful World of North Carolina Designs:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Can confirm: good posts.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I genuinely thought they were hand cranked, looked it up and wikipedia says some were built with turret motors but not the basic model, and they were apparently not great?

Otherwise I can only find information on the upgunned version having a turret motor but nothing about how fast it was.

E: Ok looks like the 85 did have a good one, was it present in the 76?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq9lKJq1xQ0

Yeah, the 76 did have the electric traverse as well, though it lacked the neat integrated joystick thing.

I don't know what you are talking about as the 'basic model'. The 1940 variant?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't entirely know either, wikipedia isn't very clear which model it's talking about at any given time and the source it links to doesn't work.

Dunno where I got the idea that it was hand cranked from then because it pretty clearly has a baller turret motor.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Polikarpov posted:

Pfizer was the first company to mass produce penicillin for medical use. They invented the process.

Which is not the same as the "invention of penicillin".

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Polikarpov posted:

Maybe dont claim all scientific progress is American? Look up Tube Alloys too.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

Hey does anyone want to read about battleship design? drat straight you do
:sureboat:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My favorite battleships are the pre-dreadnought designs that are fatter on the waterline and covered in casemate guns. France built loads of them.

"No seriously guys ironclads are going to come back into fashion I've totally got this."

I guess we should be thankful that those hatches probably aren't for a carronade.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 18, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

What was the rationale for that design? I mean nowadays the dreadnought seems terribly obvious.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Fangz posted:

What was the rationale for that design? I mean nowadays the dreadnought seems terribly obvious.

Post-revolutionary France doesn't have the best record with Navys.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fangz posted:

Well they were built only a few decades after the actual ironclads were, so the design follows on quite rationally for the same reason. Sloped armour helps deflect rounds and you're never going to get anywhere fast, so you might as well be able to take some hits once you do get there. Casemate guns are fine as long as you're in the battle line and sailing across your target (you are doing that, aren't you?) and are easier to mount that cross-deck turrets, especially with the aforementioned sloped armour.

A dreadnought foregoes the armour layout in favor of a more streamlined hull, more space to mount fully traversing turrets (with really big guns in them), and a bitching new engine which makes them much faster than the pre-dreadnought designs. The effective upshot is that a dreadnought's guns can obliterate the smaller gunned, pre-dreadnought ships from well outside their effective range, and their armour is sufficient to ward off shots from most things other than another dreadnought.

The semi-ironclad designs are based around ironclad thinking which is that you'll be fighting pretty close in with comparatively small guns, so armour against those guns is key, the dreadnought designs assume you're pretty hosed if you get shot by a 12 inch gun so the best idea is to shoot the hell out of the enemy before they get close.

Then of course you get the battlecruisers which are in theory a faster, slightly less armed, much less armoured version of a dreadnought but with naval treaties being what they were, they tended to produce some... pretty crazy designs where shipwrights were trying to cram as much gun and engine into a certain tonnage as they could and gently caress things like "ability to survive a stiff breeze" and "space for the crew to live".

Which also gives you an idea where Britain got its tank doctrine from.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ironclad and pre-dreadnaughts designs look amazing and are wild stuff before they buttoned down with the efficiency. Like 18th to 19th century uniforms.