Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Artix posted:

I would argue the same, honestly. I loving love LttP and the entire first half of the game is screaming "HEY HEY DO YOU REMEMBER LINK TO THE PAST? REMEMBER HOW THERE WAS A DUNGEON HERE? WELL WE PUT ONE THERE TOO!" I mean, for gently caress's sake, the light world overworld is literally identical to the SNES original.

I'm guessing those kinds of things weren't deliberately intended to tug at nostalgia heartstrings. Since the game began life as an LTTP remake, the devs may have completed dungeon and location placement before it was decided to make a sequel instead. So for time reasons they probably said "okay let's keep certain things as they are.

Not that there are NO callbacks, I just don't think this is the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

I like LBW more but I say get Ocarina. it's constantly at the top of GOAT lists. There is a reason.

GOAT entries from N64/PS1 era did not age well at all, though. Most poo poo from that era is more "most influential" as opposed to "best". Yes OOT was groundbreaking, yes it is the foundation of many adventure games you play today, yes it is the model all 3D zelda games have followed since, no it is not the best game you can play today.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So If I mosey on into Best Buy and show them the Fry's price for LBW, they'll honor it? What if it's sold out at any nearby Fry's? Does the Fry's have to be close? Closest one to me is 20 miles.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I replay OoT once every few years and I still think it's great. But if the reason you don't want to play LttP first is that buying a game from 1991 feels weird, buying a game from 1998 probably isn't much better. A Link Between Worlds is really good and I recommend it pretty much without reservation, just get that and then get the OoT port if you find you like the gameplay, but be aware that OoT will be a considerably more linear experience.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nephzinho posted:

GOAT entries from N64/PS1 era did not age well at all, though. Most poo poo from that era is more "most influential" as opposed to "best". Yes OOT was groundbreaking, yes it is the foundation of many adventure games you play today, yes it is the model all 3D zelda games have followed since, no it is not the best game you can play today.

This is why the OoT and MM remakes on 3DS are so good. They update the look and feel and make both titles more accessible. The changes to MM in particular make that game much more playable and less punishing.

E: Also, vvvvv

Manky fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 15, 2016

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

no it is not the best game you can play today.

Fortunately, Majora's Mask is also available on the 3DS.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Get Link Between Worlds. For a long time, I had only spent significant amounts of time playings 3D Zeldas. I bought Link Between Worlds and loved every minute of it. After beating it, it sparked a year or so long marathon of beating 2D Zelda games I had never played/beat, including Zelda 1(had never beaten it before), 2 (never spent more than a couple minutes playing), Link to the Past (first play through, I liked LBW more. That statement will cause some gamer's heads to explode.), and Link's Awakening. (Interesting but would really benefit from a few quality of life improvements.)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Alec Eiffel posted:

So If I mosey on into Best Buy and show them the Fry's price for LBW, they'll honor it? What if it's sold out at any nearby Fry's? Does the Fry's have to be close? Closest one to me is 20 miles.

Closest one to me is an hour away and they didn't mind. I'm pretty sure Fry's is on BB's list of accepted competitors for price matching. Lots of other confirmations on Reddit that they'll match without asking questions or making it difficult.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It would be cool if the NX (or whatever) rolled the Badge Arcade and the Wii U's Miiverse Stamps all into one system. You could still pay to play at the arcade and win badges there, but games could also include their own sets of badges that are unlocked by accomplishing things within the game. Once you get em you can decorate your home screen with them, slap them onto Miiverse posts, or send them as stickers in messages to people. The Wii U games with stamps basically used them like an achievement/trophy system, but this way everything would be under one roof

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Senerio posted:

I liked LBW, but I felt that a lot of it was trying to bank on LttP nostalgia that I didn't have, because I only played it about halfway through on the GBA years after a bunch of Zelda games I liked better.

I have zero nostalgia for LttP myself. I played the first three dungeons on GBA when that port came out then didn't touch it again until the Virtual Console release on Wii U. I finally finished it in the week before LBW came out, because I purposely wanted to finish it before I played LttP.

I felt like I got more out of LBW having played its predecessor. I thought the light world map being the same was cool... and it helped me get lost less. I get lost easily. :(

All in all I definitely agree that LBW is a better game than LttP.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Nephzinho posted:

I don't think that is necessary, in fact I'd love to hear from someone who played LBW then LttP and how they saw each.

I'm effectively doing that at the moment. I played LttP a long time ago but I don't think I got much further than the 3rd dungeon. Picked up the LBW XL on a whim because I wanted an XL and thought it looked rad. Loved LBW and ran through it stupidly quickly. I'm enjoying LttP and it's weird how things are the same but not. I'm playing Wind Waker at the moment as well and I definitely prefer the pacing of 2D dungeons rather than their 3D counterparts. My biggest complaint so far is playing on an SP is far less comfortable than my XL.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sakurazuka posted:

Spend slightly less and get A Link to the Past (if you have a New)

Spend slightly more and get both.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I replay OoT once every few years and I still think it's great. But if the reason you don't want to play LttP first is that buying a game from 1991 feels weird, buying a game from 1998 probably isn't much better. A Link Between Worlds is really good and I recommend it pretty much without reservation, just get that and then get the OoT port if you find you like the gameplay, but be aware that OoT will be a considerably more linear experience.

I would say LTTP aged way better than Ocarina. But I never really liked Ocarina at all, both it and Majora felt like such a slog to play through.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 15, 2016

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

raditts posted:

Spend slightly more and get both.

I would say LTTP aged way better than Ocarina. But I never really liked Ocarina at all, both it and Majora felt like such a slog to play through.

This probably has more to do with the general trend that SNES games aged better than N64 games.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
The oracle ones are really good and also on your 3ds. Probably my favorite ones growing up.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think you should play link to the past and ocarina of time before playing link between world and majoras mask. i think the first and the last of these are the best zeldas

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

goferchan posted:

It would be cool if the NX (or whatever) rolled the Badge Arcade and the Wii U's Miiverse Stamps all into one system. You could still pay to play at the arcade and win badges there, but games could also include their own sets of badges that are unlocked by accomplishing things within the game. Once you get em you can decorate your home screen with them, slap them onto Miiverse posts, or send them as stickers in messages to people. The Wii U games with stamps basically used them like an achievement/trophy system, but this way everything would be under one roof

Yeah. The badges, miiverse, and 3DS themes were some fun options, and I hope they continue with them. I'd also really like it if they found a way to import Mii clothing from miitomo to the console, so that however I customize my mii in the app is how he's represented on the console.

poo poo that would actually get me to start logging into miitomo again for fancy duds.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Link Between Worlds is really really good

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
MH Stories trailer #zillion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QiGNczpMDw

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

HOW DO I RIDE THE JHO

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Had a sudden realization the trailer footage is in 1080p and now i don't give a poo poo anymore.

strikes in picross 3d are still dumb, on the last like 21 puzzles i did, i got 1 strike for a misuse of logic and 25 strikes due to the screen being 240p

hoping monhan stories localization gets pushed to nx

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I saw a lagi and that's good, but still a worrying lack of gore magala.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Sam Faust posted:

I saw a lagi and that's good, but still a worrying lack of gore magala.

Gore Magala is nobody's friend

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
15 hours without a post?

I guess everybody's playing DQ7.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Is DQVII as good as I hope it is?

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
I'm liking it a lot so far, but I'm only 4.5 hours in. The game looks really nice considering it was once a sprite-based PS1 game. The 3D looks fine, runs smoothly most of the time with it on or off, and the music sounds good. I've noticed some slow down in some battles.

But whoo boy, people weren't kidding when they said it takes a while to get anywhere. I think I was 2 or so hours in before I did the first dungeon, and like 1.5 hours in before the first battle. I also still haven't unlocked any classes yet.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is 7 supposed to be one of the best mainline DQ games? I've always wanted to try one since it's such a huge series. I only played through Rocket Slime and loved it.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I started with 9 and I think it still holds up very well. I then played 4,6 and 5. Dq4 is excellent as well. Get 9, which you can find cheap, and see if the style does it for you.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

pizza valentine posted:

I'm liking it a lot so far, but I'm only 4.5 hours in. The game looks really nice considering it was once a sprite-based PS1 game. The 3D looks fine, runs smoothly most of the time with it on or off, and the music sounds good. I've noticed some slow down in some battles.

But whoo boy, people weren't kidding when they said it takes a while to get anywhere. I think I was 2 or so hours in before I did the first dungeon, and like 1.5 hours in before the first battle. I also still haven't unlocked any classes yet.

That fetch quest at the beginning was bullshit tho.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is 7 supposed to be one of the best mainline DQ games? I've always wanted to try one since it's such a huge series. I only played through Rocket Slime and loved it.

I thought 8 was considered one of the best?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's one of the longest. It has an average completion time in the hundreds.

If you've read the recently translated Iwata Asks about it, they even acknowledged that they "made too much game".

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I think I'll pass on a JRPG that takes potentially 100+ hours to beat. The only other JRPG I've ever played that approached that length of time was Xenogears, and I was definitely ready for it to be over before I even got to the 2nd disc at around the 80 hour mark. And I certainly don't have the attention span that I did nearly 20 years ago.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Man I don't really ever consider "too much game" to be a problem. I mean it's not great for my backlog but I think I am pretty sure that will never be completed at this point.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I can understand on a home system but being on a handheld makes is so much more tolerable.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

7 is up there with 2 as one of the worst in the series

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Looper posted:

7 is up there with 2 as one of the worst in the series

Which ones are considered the best?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

3, 5, and sometimes 8

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

That guy just really, really hates 7. 7 is quite good but as far as whats often called the "best" I'd say 3, 4, 5 and 8.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Edit: ^^^^^^^^^ Ayyyyyyyy!

Wow, no love for 4? That's my personal favorite. :negative:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Really outside of one and two none of the mainline DQ are considered bad. Not perfect but not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah Looper hates 7 with a fiery passion, the 3DS remake is good. I enjoyed it enough that I played it in Japanese and will play it again in English.

8 is better though, I'll say that. 5 is probably the fan favourite.