Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's called Uluru, not Ayers Rock :colbert:

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not sure how the word's commonly pronounced in Australia, but surely "Australian Royal Secret Service" would produce a more suitable acronym?

The initial vowel sound of "arse" is a bit drawn out, but that's because the Strine accent exists to murder vowels.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's called Uluru, not Ayers Rock :colbert:

Of course Digger would be bogan enough to insist on still calling it Ayer's Rock in his bullshit Bond fantasy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I did see that as the main title on the Wikipedia page when looking up how to spell "Ayers" but meant nothing by sticking to the more familiar name other than it being more familiar. We don't really hear much about our neighbours here in NZ, or I just missed any news of there being a lot of particular contention. Sumimasen.

But yeah. The characteristically insensitive character didn't call it that. Not that I'm guessing the British author writing for Americans would have known any better anyway.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah, I was just being a bit of a jerk. You still get plenty of people calling it Ayers Rock but there's been a trend towards using its original name (I guess Denali / Mount McKinley is a good comparison for Americans?). Some people still don't understand why it's a bit offensive to climb on it.

Fits perfectly with the character though, you're right.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rebirth is still working!
I'm not gonna link to BC's insufferable headline cause company wars are some reductive bullcrap, but getting the big slice of the pie after DCYou just feels nice!

Granted, that's sales to retailers with full returnability.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 16, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm really curious how well Doom Patrol sold.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Roth posted:

I hope lots because what a good book.

Edit: of course I bought digitally so mine isn't counted. :(

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I keep waiting to get tired of some of the Rebirth titles, but so far, it isn't happening. I bought a dozen DC comics this week and I was thinking to myself, eventually some of these are going to wear thin and you'll have to start dropping them. I'm having some trouble understanding what's going on in Deathstroke so I might drop it down to trade-only, but otherwise, everything I'm buying is at least as good as it was when it started, and with some stuff like Green Lanterns and New Superman, it's only gotten better. Superwoman seems like it's going to be really good too.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Raven #1 preview http://nerdist.com/in-raven-1-the-teen-titan-comes-into-her-own-exclusive-preview/

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The art looks pretty nice. That cover still looks a bit weird to me though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Looks nice. I know they'll probably turn out to be secret devil worshippers or something, but I think it'd be great if this had like, no superheroing and was this weird, light comedy about a daughter of the devil living with her normal extended family.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Dario the Wop posted:

Just like his Superman run, let us forget Lobdell's TT run and move onto bigger and better things.

isn't TT currently written by pfiffer and has been for some time now?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The entire thing was a mess for the most part regardless of who was writing it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Alucard Nacirema posted:

isn't TT currently written by pfiffer and has been for some time now?

Well, not exactly.

Pfeifer handled the relaunched book for the most part but these last few issues have been written by Tony Bedard.

Lobdell's run was mostly hindered by editorial not making up their mind about what they wanted to do with the title. That is why there's a lot of plot hooks that didn't went anywhere or were poorly developed like the whole thing with Harvest and N.O.W.H.E.R.E., the nature of Kid Flash or that scrapped arc where Red X would've been introduced.

I can't sy much about Pfeifer's run but that one was really bad from the get go. Bedard on the other hand has been serviceable.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The last time Teen Titans was readable was probably a decade ago when Geoff Johns was writing it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This doesn't look emo at all!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

The last time Teen Titans was readable was probably a decade ago when Geoff Johns was writing it.

"readable"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

that scrapped arc where Red X would've been introduced.

I can't believe DC editorial saved us from Scott Lobdell writing two wanna-be badasses.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

X-O posted:

Ran into an old friend from high school at the bar. Comics came up, and he's like "Remember Geoff Johns Teen Titans? Why can't the comics be like that again?" And I agreed. I loved that run.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
I only liked the first 6 issues of Geoffs Titans run after that it got really weird and confusing for someone not familiar with Titans lore. The beast boy story and the one with dr.light were ok too I guess but from the road to infinite crisis and through OYL I felt like it became a total mess.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's Neal Adams acknowledging that the Kamandi Challenge is in the process of happening while posting about the unexploded bomb outside his Manhattan apartment building.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/09/18/that-second-device-in-manhattan-from-neal-adams-point-of-view/

Good news all 'round!

Roth posted:

Seems to have done fine according to BC's retailer poll
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/09/18/bleeding-cool-bestseller-list-18th-september-2016-another-clean-sweep-for-dc-comics/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 18, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

There is a God

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
December Solicits

http://www.newsarama.com/31093-dc-comics-december-2016-solicitations.html

First time the new Black Mask looks kind of cool.

quote:

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #5
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art by DEXTER SOY
Cover by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI and CAM SMITH
Variant cover by MATTEO SCALERA
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
“DARK TRINITY” part five! Red Hood and Artemis team up against a rampaging Bizarro—and it’s a race against the clock to save him—and the city—from Black Mask’s mind-controlling techno-organic virus!
On sale DECEMBER 14 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

December Solicits

Everyone ctrl+f "SHE-BORG"

e: Doug Mahnke is drawing Frankenstein again for an arc in Superman :swoon:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 19, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Everyone ctrl+f "SHE-BORG"

e: Doug Mahnke is drawing frankenstein again for an arc in Superman :swoon:

I can't loving believe that in the year of our lord twenty loving sixteen DC thinks that's at all an appropriate name to give a new female derivative superhero.

Really hope they get raked over the coals for this in comics press, because, fuckin' seriously.

ed: I seriously want to be in the room when editorial was trying to figure out what name to give her, because did nobody point out that "Cyborg" is an inherently genderless name? Worst comes to worst, they could do the machine/upgrade thing and call her "Cyborg 2.0" or "Cyborg mk II". No. She-Borg. Because it's both diminutive and insanely stupid.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 19, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Trinity #1 preview
http://www.avclub.com/article/dcs-biggest-heroes-reunite-trinity-1-exclusive-242809

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

In direct contrast, I really really really hope Trinity is good. I'd like to read a good comic starring the...well, the Trinity. Art looks great.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

X-O posted:

Geoff Johns completely hosed the dynamic between Bart, Kon and Tim that Young Justice had built. That and his making his dumb fanfiction when he was a fan canon for Superboy means I really don't think his Teen Titans run was anything special. "Readable" sure, but not good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

He definitely handled the Teen Titans characters better than he did the Young Justice characters.

I have to admit that I really couldn't get into the Young Justice comic that much, so it doesn't bother me as much that those characters aren't as well written since I was reading it for Cyborg, Starfire, Beast Boy, and Raven.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Onmi posted:

Geoff Johns completely hosed the dynamic between Bart, Kon and Tim that Young Justice had built. That and his making his dumb fanfiction when he was a fan canon for Superboy means I really don't think his Teen Titans run was anything special. "Readable" sure, but not good.

99% chance that Young Justice hosed the dynamic before it too. That's how comics work.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I was made aware of this on twitter, but I really hope this means we get a Whataburger/Wonder Woman teamup comic in the near future.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Onmi posted:

As someone who didn't read Young Justice, I respectfully disagree. Lex Luthor mixing his DNA with Superman to make his own Superboy seemed genius. Bart becoming Kid Flash in an attempt to show some maturity, after Wally became the prime example of a sidekick moving up to primetime. And my favorite line from Tim Drake in any comic is from the "You lied to Starfire." "I lie to Batman." exchange.

Don't know what happened with Tony Daniel, but the Doom Patrol arc for the One Year Later Teen Titans was pretty drat good. He drew the poo poo out of the new Robin costume. I remember falling in love with the pencils that were released beforehand.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Didn't someone dig up a letter a young Geoff Johns sent in where he openly headcanoned that Superboy was, in fact, a mixture of Lex and Superman's DNA some thirty years before he actually made it canon when writing it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

Didn't someone dig up a letter a young Geoff Johns sent in where he openly headcanoned that Superboy was, in fact, a mixture of Lex and Superman's DNA some thirty years before he actually made it canon when writing it?

It's been posted a lot, it was printed in an issue of Superboy, some time in the first year of the book I think so 1994 or so. Roughly 10 years before he wrote it into continuity.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Yep. It's in the top three fan letters next to Ed Brubaker writing to Firestorm about what is and isn't punk, and George R Martin critiquing 60's Fantastic Four.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Die Laughing posted:

Yep. It's in the top three fan letters next to Ed Brubaker writing to Firestorm about what is and isn't punk, and George R Martin critiquing 60's Fantastic Four.

I love how the writers responded to Brubaker's letter with "We don't care"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

I was made aware of this on twitter, but I really hope this means we get a Whataburger/Wonder Woman teamup comic in the near future.

If KFC can get a Colonel Sanders / Flash team up then anything's possible

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Die Laughing posted:

Bart becoming Kid Flash in an attempt to show some maturity, after Wally became the prime example of a sidekick moving up to primetime.

That always a bit felt more "I want him to be Kid Flash because Barry Allen never had a sidekick called Impulse" to me. :v:

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Toxxupation posted:

I can't loving believe that in the year of our lord twenty loving sixteen DC thinks that's at all an appropriate name to give a new female derivative superhero.

Really hope they get raked over the coals for this in comics press, because, fuckin' seriously.

ed: I seriously want to be in the room when editorial was trying to figure out what name to give her, because did nobody point out that "Cyborg" is an inherently genderless name? Worst comes to worst, they could do the machine/upgrade thing and call her "Cyborg 2.0" or "Cyborg mk II". No. She-Borg. Because it's both diminutive and insanely stupid.

Comics aren't real life dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

That always a bit felt more "I want him to be Kid Flash because Barry Allen never had a sidekick called Impulse" to me. :v:

I was sixteen when the book came out, and Bart was my favorite character in it. Embracing the family legacy, and reading some books was a pretty positive message. And besides losing the goggles, I find the Kid Flash costume to be superior. Plus, he got to drive a Batmobile that Tim hid the cost of in the batarang budget.