Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

TotalLossBrain posted:

I can assure all Everett-hating goons that the East side of the state is far worse.

-Tri-Cities goon here.

Oh yeah, no doubt. :v:

And yeah I don't hate Everett at all. It provides good people watching! And parts of it aren't bad at all, Everett Mall Way seems alright. I've had my cars broken into twice in north Everett though. Protip: maybe avoid the Denny's across from the 2 in the middle of the night, despite how good it sounds to your drunk brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
we didnt have too much trouble when we lived up in everett from 2008-2012.

we lived in a house right off broadway, right behind the alfy's and the hooker motel :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Grew up and lived in, until 4 years ago, Lewiston. Have family in Portland, Seattle, the Sound, etc. Just all pnw.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Geirskogul posted:

Grew up and lived in, until 4 years ago, Lewiston. Have family in Portland, Seattle, the Sound, etc. Just all pnw.

I was in Colfax for two years and that was legit worse than any other place I've lived.
It was also the only place I've ever hit a deer. Fuckers used to hang out in my front yard.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 16, 2016

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

BraveUlysses posted:

we didnt have too much trouble when we lived up in everett from 2008-2012.

we lived in a house right off broadway, right behind the alfy's and the hooker motel :v:

If not for Alfy's I'd say you needed to be more specific. :v:

I saw a random Lamborghini the other day on 99. It seemed... out of place.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

How many miles is it missing? Nobody says it has to be ridden on the street. Pop it on the stand, tape throttle open and go about your day.

Or ignore the mail unless you signed for it. (IANAL this is not legal advice etc)

It's at 2,600 and change so just shy of 5000 miles, the bike sat unused for over 10 years.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Enourmo posted:

Nothing can go wrong with this plan.

Well he doesnt need to use a public road.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Powershift posted:

I can't see any markings on it, does this jerry can look up to code?

Love those safety shoes the gas pumper is wearing.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, not to give any illegal advice or anything (I'm not a lawyer, so it's fine) but there's a reason literally every state bordering California has next to zero laws applying to anything, so go register it there.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

I can assure all Everett-hating goons that the East side of the state is far worse.

-Tri-Cities goon here.

I'll second this as a Seattle native. Everett is awesome. My best experience was being hungry in Everett at last call. Everything was closed except for the one Jack in the Box in downtown. There was a huge line of cars and a bunch of random people milling about the parking lot. One guy didnt have a shirt and on his shoulder he had a red macaw parrot. We get through the drive through and pull into the parking lot and start eating when we hear a grunt at the drivers side window. We look up and there's a guy in a stained wife beater standing there and grunting. He told us he was just released from jail and wanted food. We tossed one of those Jack in the Box tacos away from the car and drove away when he was going after it.

Then there's the tri-shitties.

I bought my Volvo 245 from a pair of lesbians who moved from Cap Hill to Kennewick. Let me describe the drive there entering this magical town:

You arrive in a field with a few sparse houses. One is painted like the US flag. The entire loving house is a flag. Down the road you approach the 9/11 memorial which is literally just a bunch of twisted I-beams stuck upright in a field and some flags stuck to it. While Everett has some meth, most people are actually just alcoholic Navy guys. Kennewick is straight up Meth-town. One big poo poo hole. I go meet with the owners of the Volvo in Kennwick and they showed me all the damage caused by the locals to the car. They ripped off the liberal and gay equality based bumper stickers, and even scraped one of them off with a knife.

I'll take Everett over any of the tri-shitties.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I was in Colfax for two years and that was legit worse than any other place I've lived.
It was also the only place I've ever hit a deer. Fuckers used to hang out in my front yard.

gently caress Colfax with a pineapple as well. I hate having to drive through it to get to Pullman. Biggest speed trap I've ever been to.

Solar Coaster fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 17, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I was on that highway between pullman and ww (on one of the canyon bridges) and got a ticket for 72 in a 70 :psyduck:. No typo. Hauling a motorcycle from Yakima back to Idaho.

I went to fight it (driving four hours from Lewiston on the court date) and the judge told me to eat rocks and added a $25 court fine.

Speaking of absolute shitholes, Yakima.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Geirskogul posted:

I was on that highway between pullman and ww (on one of the canyon bridges) and got a ticket for 72 in a 70 :psyduck:. No typo. Hauling a motorcycle from Yakima back to Idaho.

I went to fight it (driving four hours from Lewiston on the court date) and the judge told me to eat rocks and added a $25 court fine.

LoL, the Palmdale of Washington!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If Tacoma is the armpit, Yakima is the fupa.

E: I don't even know if it was legal, but I was hours away from home, and boned by the judge, so I just paid it. That was my last ticket, 2009.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 17, 2016

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Geirskogul posted:

Jesus gently caress, my state (Ohio) actually has a law on the books that you cannot be cited for less than 5 over the posted limit outside of situations like school zones or where it would be unsafe for conditions. 2 MPH is well within margin of error of most speedometers at highway speeds.

gently caress any state where you can be cited for 2 MPH over the limit on the highway.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Geirskogul posted:

If Tacoma is the armpit, Yakima is the fupa.

Amazing.

I told a friend recently, Tacoma is what happens when the bad part of town is the town itself.

I'm working in Renton now, and it hasn't been so bad except the smell. Oh lord, on a warm day it's something special. I work close-ish to some waste treatment facility, making matters worse.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Geoj posted:

Jesus gently caress, my state (Ohio) actually has a law on the books that you cannot be cited for less than 5 over the posted limit outside of situations like school zones or where it would be unsafe for conditions. 2 MPH is well within margin of error of most speedometers at highway speeds.

gently caress any state where you can be cited for 2 MPH over the limit on the highway.

Colfax man, Colfax. It somehow managed to get itself the County seat in Whitman County. It even still has it's hanging pole so you can see where they hung people! How fun! My fiancée is from Pullman so we make seasonal trips out there to visit friends and family.

Colfax is a shithole that all highways force you to pass through it. Highway 26 is the most common since its on the way to Pullman and Washington State University. When you drop into Colfax, you drat well better make sure you are doing EXACTLY the speed limit by the time you approach the signs. If the sign says 35, you better do 35. The actual highway speed drops from 55 to 25mph in downtown Colfax. There are cops constantly sitting there waiting for anyone and will pull people over for absolutely the smallest infractions they can find. The speed staggers down when entering this hell on earth and staggers back up when leaving it (55 > 35 > 25 > 35 > 55). I know someone who got pulled over for doing 55mph twenty feet in front of the 55mph sign. Technically still a 35 and he got nailed for it. I always recommend setting your cruise control to 22 - 23mph and just hunkering down till you leave it's lovely limits.

The best is watching WSU students who arent from the area blow past you on highway 26 approaching Colfax. 9 out of 10 times you'll find them on the side of the road lit up by the cops.

Colfax needs to be burned down and the ground salted.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Solar Coaster posted:

Colfax man, Colfax.

God this brought back some memories. GF did grad school at WSU. I hated everything about driving through Colfax, including them making it take as long as possible. Luckily I can say with all the driving I did there I never got nabbed. Othello (also on the way to WSU) is bad also. Speed drops through the town and the sheriff station is right along the side of the road.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

This seems like a good idea, that just wasn't quite thought through all the way:
http://newatlas.com/on-the-go-h2o-air-conditioner-water/45458/

Mmmm, dust water.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

ExplodingSims posted:

This seems like a good idea, that just wasn't quite thought through all the way:
http://newatlas.com/on-the-go-h2o-air-conditioner-water/45458/

Mmmm, dust water.

Dust water to a filter shouldn't be that bad.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Powershift posted:

I can't see any markings on it, does this jerry can look up to code?

When I was at uni, I worked at a petrol station and actually had people try this. Also, plastic milk bottles. Glass bottles. 2L Coke bottles. The watering cans we had out for customers to clean their car. Old 50 gallon fertiliser drums. Pretty much everything except approved fuel containers.

And every single one got so goddamn lovely when we told them it was unsafe and illegal to fill them.

Never work any job which involves dealing with the public.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Drinking distilled water makes you pee out all your salts so make sure you eat lots of the jerky you keep on your radiator.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

gently caress THESE THINGS

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

That's absolutely vile.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

"Aww come on, drums aren't THAT bad, you just gotta be careful with em!"

gently caress drums at all times.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

Solar Coaster posted:

Colfax man, Colfax. It somehow managed to get itself the County seat in Whitman County. It even still has it's hanging pole so you can see where they hung people! How fun! My fiancée is from Pullman so we make seasonal trips out there to visit friends and family.

Colfax is a shithole that all highways force you to pass through it. Highway 26 is the most common since its on the way to Pullman and Washington State University. When you drop into Colfax, you drat well better make sure you are doing EXACTLY the speed limit by the time you approach the signs. If the sign says 35, you better do 35. The actual highway speed drops from 55 to 25mph in downtown Colfax. There are cops constantly sitting there waiting for anyone and will pull people over for absolutely the smallest infractions they can find. The speed staggers down when entering this hell on earth and staggers back up when leaving it (55 > 35 > 25 > 35 > 55). I know someone who got pulled over for doing 55mph twenty feet in front of the 55mph sign. Technically still a 35 and he got nailed for it. I always recommend setting your cruise control to 22 - 23mph and just hunkering down till you leave it's lovely limits.

The best is watching WSU students who arent from the area blow past you on highway 26 approaching Colfax. 9 out of 10 times you'll find them on the side of the road lit up by the cops.

Colfax needs to be burned down and the ground salted.

You can drive around most of Colfax by driving out towards the airport. That is what we always did.

I also have Everett stories... Mostly about being accosted by druggies/felons at the closest Safeway. Been offered food stamps for money, etc. One guy was walking around very fast bee lining to people, likely coming down from meth, and asking people for food because he hadn't eaten for 3 days. One lady actually screamed because of how aggressive he was with his approach. Made a rule we had to go to the QFC a ways away from downtown.

We now live on Camano Island with a nice large shop and plenty of acres between us and others. Much better than Everett and Marysville.

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

Soarer posted:

God this brought back some memories. GF did grad school at WSU. I hated everything about driving through Colfax, including them making it take as long as possible. Luckily I can say with all the driving I did there I never got nabbed. Othello (also on the way to WSU) is bad also. Speed drops through the town and the sheriff station is right along the side of the road.

That whole stretch of highway is one big speed trap... back in my Wazzu days I would generally drive the limit until someone passed me and then I'd match their speed once they were a quarter mile ahead or so and then drop back down once they got pulled over.

Folks ought to avoid getting the crimson plates before they graduate too. They didn't exist when I traveled that road but I bet they make for easy pickings.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

These are nothing. you can get to everything you need. try doing these when it requires pulling the axle to get the springs off. The subaru ones are not hard at all. Everyone makes drums to be this rubix cube of brakes and they really aren't.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

SouthsideSaint posted:

These are nothing. you can get to everything you need. try doing these when it requires pulling the axle to get the springs off. The subaru ones are not hard at all. Everyone makes drums to be this rubix cube of brakes and they really aren't.

Regular drums are fine, but the mini e-brake ones can be really maddening. Re-did the ones on my Volvo r and between the spring spoon being unworkably large, and so little space, with tiny parts, eugh. Was glad I bought a full set of springs etc, because after mangling everything on the way apart for the first two, I just snipped the fuckers.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

SouthsideSaint posted:

This is not a good thing to say after the fight I had with them yesterday. You are full of loving poo poo if you think they are nothing... they are dreadful and they need to die in a dumpster fire. Drums loving suck at all loving times.

And just exactly is the cube of brakes because the last I saw discs take about five seconds at worst and I had an hour long swear fest on these pictured pricks

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

This is not a good thing to say after the fight I had with them yesterday. You are full of loving poo poo if you think they are nothing... they are dreadful and they need to die in a dumpster fire. Drums loving suck at all loving times.

And just exactly is the cube of brakes because the last I saw discs take about five seconds at worst and I had an hour long swear fest on these pictured pricks

And I'm sure the first few times you attempted a timing belt it made you crazy. With repeated use its easy. Ask scuz, if he had brought the right parts and not had a destroyed drum. I would have done his rusted drums in an hour.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SouthsideSaint posted:

And I'm sure the first few times you attempted a timing belt it made you crazy. With repeated use its easy. Ask scuz, if he had brought the right parts and not had a destroyed drum. I would have done his rusted drums in an hour.

Timing belts at least have some advantage (NVH), there is literally nothing about drums that makes them worth the hassle. They're heavier (both unsprung and rotating mass), don't handle extended braking as well, are harder to service, and iirc they're not even cheaper than discs anymore; they exist solely to maintain discs as an aspirational, higher-margin "option" on pickups and budget cars, and even the former increasingly has 4 wheel discs standard.

Also lol 30 minutes a wheel is "easy", compared with discs which are like 10 minutes max if you gotta un-sieze the rotor hat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's not all true, there's at least one situation where dealing with drums is worth the hassle: if they're attached to a gorgeous classic.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Blitter posted:

Regular drums are fine, but the mini e-brake ones can be really maddening. Re-did the ones on my Volvo r and between the spring spoon being unworkably large, and so little space, with tiny parts, eugh. Was glad I bought a full set of springs etc, because after mangling everything on the way apart for the first two, I just snipped the fuckers.

My favourite job so far was rear drums on my current e46. I literally bought new EVERYTHING. Rotor, shoes, adjusters, springs kit, expander. And they wouldn't fit. I couldn't believe it so I did a test fit on the bench, with everything assembled there was no way to fit everything in the rotor and have clearance. I had to grind down the section of the shoes that fits against the adjuster by about 3mm on each shoe. I triple checked all the part #s and they were correct.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Geoj posted:

That's insane :psyduck: around here most of the cops won't bother if you're doing 5-7 over the limit but if you blow by doing 10+ over they'll be on you like stank on poop

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

SouthsideSaint posted:

Timing belts are easy and I've only done two, try again. Spark plugs are easy. I have a whole thread where I'm not complaining about all manner of jobs (like driveshafts, motor out) Those fiddly rear end loving drums are NOT loving straightforward or easy in the slightest even after a dozen previous swearing cars and with the right tools.

Even my GF8's horror PO's wiring is easy compared to drum brakes.

Enjoy your backwards bullshit, I'll have no part of it.

quote:

if he had brought the right parts and not had a destroyed drum

You .... are claiming they are easy and you post THAT? Come on, I was working with 20 year old disc brakes that have almost never been touched and it all yet came apart in a snap.

xzzy posted:

That's not all true, there's at least one situation where dealing with drums is worth the hassle: if they're attached to a gorgeous classic.

I would disc convert anyway because gently caress DRUM BRAKES FOREVER

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I would disc convert anyway because gently caress DRUM BRAKES FOREVER

This cannot be quoted enough, I literally kept an entire spare axle assembly for a FB because I knew the drums on the rear were recently redone by a shop and I would rather swap the whole bloody axle than service the drums.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Counterpoint: drums are easier to work on than discs in the rust belt of North America. Caliper slides and bolts are always rusted into place and I've run out of fingers to count stuck pistons on two piston calipers. Drums protect the important bits from most of the corrosion and I've never had a problem with them.

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 19, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sorry but wasting an entire afternoon trying to hold a Jenga tower in one piece while getting a spring into its hole is integral to the process of owning a classic. When you're an old grandpa in a retirement home you'll use it to win debates what a badass you were as a youngin and be glad you did it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Counterpoint: drums are easier to work on than disks in the rust belt of North America. Caliper slides and bolts are always rusted into place and I've run out of fingers to count stuck pistons on two piston calipers. Drums protect the important bits from most of the corrosion and I've never had a problem with them.

No they aren't and I've worked on discs that have been salt sprayed for 15 years and never needed more than WD40 and a bloody big breaker bar. Plus drums do not protect the corrosion. More like they act as perfect salt traps and make it a fuckton worse until the cylinders weld themselves shut, the seals burst and you cant possibly move them and the drum springs just cant move unless they snap and take out your eye... and the backing plates are hosed and oh yeah I can go on.... Water can easily get into drums, that's why they are hopeless after you hit standing water. All that nice water is in the drum and stopping the friction surface from working. A problem discs tend to not have

gently caress DRUMS FOREVER

xzzy posted:

Sorry but wasting an entire afternoon trying to hold a Jenga tower in one piece while getting a spring into its hole is integral to the process of owning a classic. When you're an old grandpa in a retirement home you'll use it to win debates what a badass you were as a youngin and be glad you did it. :colbert:

I drove four wheel drum brakes at full scream down mountain passes, that's enough badass (read : utter stupidity) for me