Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Krakkles posted:

That's terrible. Is there some benefit to the legislation that lead to that?

Campaign donations to the bill sponsor(s) from the insurance lobby?

Oh, you meant something that benefits the public. No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

iospace posted:

Lifted Truck? Check.
American Flag? Check
Not a sign of mud? Check
Tiny rear end tires for the lift? Check:
Maybe they are his inspection tires? I had a lovely 1982 Ford Bronco and it came with big rear end tires that stuck out a little bit so I had a set of stock Bronco wheels and tires that I stuck on it to make it legal for Massachusetts inspection. I'd end up driving around on them for a little while before switching back over to the big tires.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

bigbillystyle posted:

Maybe they are his inspection tires? I had a lovely 1982 Ford Bronco and it came with big rear end tires that stuck out a little bit so I had a set of stock Bronco wheels and tires that I stuck on it to make it legal for Massachusetts inspection. I'd end up driving around on them for a little while before switching back over to the big tires.

It's in Waukesha, Wisconsin. I don't think it's an inspection county, and even then, WI inspections are "Is your O2 sensor working ok and not giving and bad readings? Ok, you're good to go."
e: Waukesha is an inspection county here, but still, it's emissions only here.

iospace fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 16, 2016

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Terrible DMV story here. I got a motorcycle from my dad a few years back and went to register it in California finally because I had been working on it this entire time, it's a 2001 and was wrecked in 2002 and sat around broken until I got it. Everything goes fine at the DMV, get my registration and plates. Few months go by and I just got a letter in the mail saying the registration is invalid unless I can prove I got it as inheritance or in a divorce.

The papers say that because it was brought in from out of state (non-CA emissions spec) and under 7500 miles, it's against the law to import it to California. I'm gonna have to spend another day back at DMV to figure out what the gently caress this is even about.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

iospace posted:

It's in Waukesha, Wisconsin. I don't think it's an inspection county, and even then, WI inspections are "Is your O2 sensor working ok and not giving and bad readings? Ok, you're good to go."
e: Waukesha is an inspection county here, but still, it's emissions only here.

Ha, really? Hi, fellow Waukeshit area person.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mekilljoydammit posted:

Ha, really? Hi, fellow Waukeshit area person.

I only go to WCTC. I live in the Southwest Corner of Milwaukee though, so trucks like that aren't necessarily uncommon aorund here.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Nuevo posted:

Holy poo poo, an image search for 'blurple' is a goldmine of terrible car stuff.

I guess I should take responsibility because he actually came into my office talking about ideas for colors and I helped him with a google image search. I tried to steer him more towards a deep blue but he saw some Honda or Acura he liked and I had to help him find the paint codes for it. He came to work today and I noticed the "MUSTANG" indentation on the rear bumper now had white stickers in it, and I heard him tell a coworker that tonight he'd put the "running horses stickers" on it. I'll have to get a photo for the thread once he's run out of ideas.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

DiggityDoink posted:

Terrible DMV story here. I got a motorcycle from my dad a few years back and went to register it in California finally because I had been working on it this entire time, it's a 2001 and was wrecked in 2002 and sat around broken until I got it. Everything goes fine at the DMV, get my registration and plates. Few months go by and I just got a letter in the mail saying the registration is invalid unless I can prove I got it as inheritance or in a divorce.

The papers say that because it was brought in from out of state (non-CA emissions spec) and under 7500 miles, it's against the law to import it to California. I'm gonna have to spend another day back at DMV to figure out what the gently caress this is even about.

You're boned.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

nm posted:

You're boned.

This. I'm surprised that you ever got to register it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DiggityDoink posted:

Sorry, you're hosed.

Take it to Oregon and get it plated up there with one of the grey-market importers. I know a couple of people who've done that with bikes that aren't California legal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Montana is good for that too, though it's usually done for tax evasion reasons. You pay a dude to register an LLC in your name, the company gets the vehicle, and it gets permanent Montana plates.

Probably not worth doing to a bike due to the annual cost of the company but it is an option.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Sorry, you're hosed.

Take it to Oregon and get it plated up there with one of the grey-market importers. I know a couple of people who've done that with bikes that aren't California legal.

Yeah I have a feeling I'm hosed but I'm gonna try the argument of "I did technically inherit it cause I got it from my father, he's just not dead yet"

e; or go drive it across the country and back, thereby putting more than 7500 miles on the bike.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

DiggityDoink posted:

e; or go drive it across the country and back, thereby putting more than 7500 miles on the unregistered bike.

Nothing can go wrong with this plan.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If you leave it on the side of the freeway, get it stolen, then get it back with more than 7500 miles, does that work?

E: plus you get the insurance money in the meantime, right? Bonus!

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Enourmo posted:

I've got insurance on it at least. What's the worst that could happen? :madmax:

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 16, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Enourmo posted:

How many miles is it missing? Nobody says it has to be ridden on the street. Pop it on the stand, tape throttle open and go about your day.

Or ignore the mail unless you signed for it. (IANAL this is not legal advice etc)

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

mobby_6kl posted:

How many miles is it missing? Nobody says it has to be ridden on the street. Pop it on the stand, tape throttle open and go about your day.

Or ignore the mail unless you signed for it. (IANAL this is not legal advice etc)

ferrisbuellersdayoff.txt

Dude, the odometer was clearly damaged before the bike was crashed. Bad cable / speed sensor? You had to replace it, right? And your father must remember riding it for a couple of seasons without a speedometer, and he could write you a letter stating as much, right? Seems odd that this would have slipped his mind earlier, but he's getting on in years...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mobby_6kl posted:

In no way am I suggesting that you connect an electric drill to the speedo cable and gain all those miles without wear and tear on the engine

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
You should hook it to a water wheel so it doesn't add wear and tear to your drill.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

DiggityDoink posted:

Yeah I have a feeling I'm hosed but I'm gonna try the argument of "I did technically inherit it cause I got it from my father, he's just not dead yet"

e; or go drive it across the country and back, thereby putting more than 7500 miles on the bike.

Probably easier to just kill your father

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Since its California, you could probably get subsidies for connecting to a wind turbine.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Isn't this some kind of unconstitutional obstruction to interstate commerce?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

California is a unconstitutional obstruction to FREEDOM

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can't see any markings on it, does this jerry can look up to code?

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
"excuse me, I'd like one bag of gas please."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

What is this, Canada?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I think this belongs here:

please don't doxx me/my car

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Powershift posted:

This can't be real, right?

Of course, my second thought is "Everett, WA huffers discover one weird trick to save money on transport..."

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i appreciate jokes about Everett

i was just at a grocery store in everett this morning and witnessed a mom using a dog clicker on her 2 or 3 y/o daughter

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BraveUlysses posted:

i was just at a grocery store in everett this morning and witnessed a mom using a dog clicker on her 2 or 3 y/o daughter

Did it... work?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

BraveUlysses posted:

This does not surprise me too much.

Everett is a magical place. I take 99 to/from work sometimes, it's a little longer than the freeway, but it's an exciting glimpse into a world of fart canned cars and bikini "totally not prostitution, we promise" coffee stands, most of which are now shut down, but before it was like one every 10 feet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everett ain't what it used to be. Lived there for ~5 years as a wee one in the early 80's and all I remember is the green river killer and the fish bowl. And the family across the street had a giant garden where we'd go eat ourselves sick on blueberries in the summer.

Also walking to school, by myself, as a first grader.

None of that exists in Everett today. I can't even find the street where we lived on the map, nothing looks like my 6 year old brain recorded it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I stopped in Everett to get some windshield wiper blades because one of mine disintegrated right around there on a road trip.

The only store within 10 miles of the highway with wipers was a NAPA that was straight out of the 70's, including the owner who was wearing white bell bottoms and had a 'fro.

Google said there were more stores, like autozone or (at the time) shuck's autoparts, but the first one was boarded up, and the second one was on a street that was blocked off by police because there was a multi-fatality accident.

That's my story thanks for reading.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I went into downtown Everett a few years ago for a coffee and bite to eat, aside from it being mostly forgettable and the parking lots being weird, I don't remember it being that bad.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

xzzy posted:

Everett ain't what it used to be. Lived there for ~5 years as a wee one in the early 80's and all I remember is the green river killer and the fish bowl. And the family across the street had a giant garden where we'd go eat ourselves sick on blueberries in the summer.

Also walking to school, by myself, as a first grader.

None of that exists in Everett today. I can't even find the street where we lived on the map, nothing looks like my 6 year old brain recorded it.

crime-wise it's not as bad as it has been in the past...i mean you still see weird poo poo constantly and some people who clearly have rough lives but things are slowly getting better.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
All these PNW goons, oi vey

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I haven't lived in Washington since '85 or so, so I don't count. :colbert:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I can assure all Everett-hating goons that the East side of the state is far worse.

-Tri-Cities goon here.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

TotalLossBrain posted:

I can assure all Everett-hating goons that the East side of the state is far worse.

-Tri-Cities goon here.

I don't hate Everett. It's just more sad than anything. My Everett story was having a very not with it homeless dude j walk Broadway between me and a cop car. Then dropped off PAX badges for some girl that worked at a daycare on the water front that was wedged in between a brewery, railroad tracks and a ship yard. It was all very :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

DiggityDoink posted:

Huh, that's weird, I brought in a non-california ninja 250 (no EVAP canister) with under 7500 miles a few years back and they didn't give a poo poo.