Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Viva Miriya posted:

Changing vote to MYSTERY OPTION

I don't think PTN allows vote changes, to prevent headaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010
Amaris (probably) has plans we don't know about. Weren't those crazy Capellans doing something extra crazy with the HPG network? Probably others doing hidden crazy stuff too that I've forgotten about too. This should be encouraged.

Voting Mystery Option not because I expect to see it, but because I want to support the Xanatos Pileup.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Endomorphic posted:

Amaris (probably) has plans we don't know about. Weren't those crazy Capellans doing something extra crazy with the HPG network? Probably others doing hidden crazy stuff too that I've forgotten about too. This should be encouraged.

Voting Mystery Option not because I expect to see it, but because I want to support the Xanatos Pileup.

The Capellans are making their own HPG network with blackjack, hookers, and burning orphans.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Endomorphic posted:

Nah, they were just properly de-privatizing ComStar assets. :china:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

I think it's a bit too far up on the map. Probably New Syrtis, which is where you'd go to destabilize the region. You can take out a major industrial site OR a major industrial site that's also the center of government.

I know it's a little further up according to the 3025 map from the map site, but on the other hand the Taurians have pushed upwards a bit in the PTN timeline, so I adjusted the approximate positions to account for that. But yeah, the box I think encompases both so it maybe could go either way?

RA Rx posted:

Would the Death Commandos have the social expertise to gun down innocents without acting really patriotic about it?
They seemed rather deeply into the whole MY SOUL, MY HONOR, MY SHAME, EVERYTHING FOR YOU mindset to be good actors.

My understanding is that the Death Commandos are trained to be good at pretty much anything they might be called to do. Including infiltration and deep cover stuff, though that's probably more MASK's thing normally. If you want obnoxiously loud patriotism I'm sure the Kuritans will be happy to oblige.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
I'll go with F, as I like Goons in Tanks.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

And what suspicion is that?

Don't leave them in suspense.

I thought someone might look up the planets that square was covering on TCS

Too sophisticated for me; I just hoped to dredge up some clues by suggesting I had guessed what was in the box.

My suspicion really had to do with the nature of the scenario: clearly a false flag operation, possibly with Society involvement. And clearly aimed to direct the Duchy against the Federated Suns. The twist I suspected involved framing ComStar for smuggling in the Fed Suns attack force, followed by an attack on the palace or whatever main governmental structure the Duchy uses. The Duke, of course, would have been absent thanks to a "lucky accident." Do lots of damage, get your mechs destroyed, set off cockpit bombs to kill the pilots, typical drill. Use just enough Society experimental tech to confirm that ComStar was involved, too.

Knocking out ComStar's communications network in the Duchy actually helps sustain the deception as the angry populace can't hear news that contradicts the official propaganda. And it's easier to get ComStar to take their own facilities off-line (or destroy them) than to do it for them. If Xiang has an alternative communications system in mind, then the Capellans could end up in control of both their own and the Duchy's interplanetary comms.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Narsham posted:

Too sophisticated for me; I just hoped to dredge up some clues by suggesting I had guessed what was in the box.

My suspicion really had to do with the nature of the scenario: clearly a false flag operation, possibly with Society involvement. And clearly aimed to direct the Duchy against the Federated Suns. The twist I suspected involved framing ComStar for smuggling in the Fed Suns attack force, followed by an attack on the palace or whatever main governmental structure the Duchy uses. The Duke, of course, would have been absent thanks to a "lucky accident." Do lots of damage, get your mechs destroyed, set off cockpit bombs to kill the pilots, typical drill. Use just enough Society experimental tech to confirm that ComStar was involved, too.

Knocking out ComStar's communications network in the Duchy actually helps sustain the deception as the angry populace can't hear news that contradicts the official propaganda. And it's easier to get ComStar to take their own facilities off-line (or destroy them) than to do it for them. If Xiang has an alternative communications system in mind, then the Capellans could end up in control of both their own and the Duchy's interplanetary comms.

No need for cockpit bombs when your mechs are piloted by an AI in a dropship.

E: I hope that computer simulations aren't lostech so that they can have that AI fight against copies of itself to get better.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 16, 2016

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Olothreutes posted:

E: I hope that computer simulations aren't lostech so that they can have that AI fight against copies of itself to get better.

I must admit I too have high hopes for Friend Computer.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Olothreutes posted:

You would still want cockpit bombs so as to destroy all the evidence of the mechs having been not piloted by people, wouldn't you?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Shoeless posted:

You would still want cockpit bombs so as to destroy all the evidence of the mechs having been not piloted by people, wouldn't you?

I think the properly troll device would be to have full-head ejection systems, and have more booby traps inside those.

I mean, you might as well save expense where you can, right?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

A full head ejection system and a torso cockpit next to a booby trap.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Cunningly-crafted massive bombs dummied up to look like battlemechs.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

AJ_Impy posted:

Uncle Stevie would be proud.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

But we already have those, it's any Battlemech with MG ammo!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That mech? A bomb!

Those elementals? They're bombs too!

Even this HPG transmission is... *KABOOM*

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Dolash posted:

That mech? A bomb!

Those elementals? They're bombs too!

Even this HPG transmission is... *KABOOM*

I'm sure if Comstar could find a way to turn an HPG transmission into a weapon, they would.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shoeless posted:

I'm sure if Comstar could find a way to turn an HPG transmission into a weapon, they would.

They already did.

Turns out, prolonged exposure to hyper-wave radiation causes crippling cognitive dysfunction. It's a disorder I like to call:

Victor Steiner-Davion.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Shoeless posted:

I mean, they must have energy because they carry data somehow. But they are also magic, so maybe not. But turning that sort of high powered pulse into a weapon wouldn't be too hard I would think, assuming they are directional. I seem to recall they don't focus well, though, which is why they have a maximum range?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Shoeless posted:

Haven't we already been shown we can weaponize the transmitter? I swear that was a mission.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Neopie posted:

Haven't we already been shown we can weaponize the transmitter? I swear that was a mission.

Oh, the transmitter was weaponized all right.

It's just that the weapon was a dropship's drive exhaust turning the transmitter to ash

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Real answer: hyperwaves travel through another dimension and don't have any discernible impact on real matter.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Real answer: hyperwaves travel through another dimension and don't have any discernible impact on real matter.

Well I guess we never have to worry about the forces of Chaos if we've been hyper beaming the poo poo out of the warp. :v:

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Zaodai posted:

Well I guess we never have to worry about the forces of Chaos if we've been hyper beaming the poo poo out of the warp. :v:

And now I am picturing Daemons appearing out of the warp to tell us kids to knock it off with the loud music while they try and sleep.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rorahusky posted:

And now I am picturing Daemons appearing out of the warp to tell us kids to knock it off with the loud music while they try and sleep.

And then getting shot with lasers.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Zaodai posted:

Sounds like a job for justice foot.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
HPGs have an emp effect, I don't think we've seen it used anywhere in the thread, maybe you're thinking of Comstar defending a base against CapCon and ultimately setting off a nuke in their base?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Scintilla posted:

Like the quake 3 AI server, the dropship AI came to the conclusion 0:0 was better than 1:1 and comes to a halt. The attempts to disarm and dismantle the units were not shared with the public.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

vorebane posted:

HPGs have an emp effect, I don't think we've seen it used anywhere in the thread, maybe you're thinking of Comstar defending a base against CapCon and ultimately setting off a nuke in their base?

I think we were fighting under the emp effect when it was Crabguard vs Clans right after the introduction of elementals?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

vorebane posted:

The planetary facilities aren't the HPGs. They can generate whatever electronic noise they want.

The real ones do create an EMP, but IIRC it's the same reason a jump drive does: fusion reactors (or giant battery in the JumpShip's case) discharging all their power at once.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Rorahusky posted:

I'm picturing more like the Unbidden, pissed off the dimension next door has been casually tearing up their universe with space-mail.

How do other-dimensional invaders fit in Battletech's "no aliens" policy? For that matter, how about mutant races concocted by Mad Science or AI rebellions?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Dolash posted:

How do other-dimensional invaders fit in Battletech's "no aliens" policy? For that matter, how about mutant races concocted by Mad Science or AI rebellions?

in the same place: under the foot of Dadlas

skulls for the true skull god

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
You know, it strikes me - and I'm not sure what spurred this thought - that if there's any Successor State where you could get away with saying "our leader is paranoid and has gone into seclusion and is communicating solely through trusted intermediaries and electronic transmissions" as a way of concealing the fact that you've taken over and replaced them with Friend Computer it would, in fact, be the Capellan Confederation under its present leadership.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

They already did.

Turns out, prolonged exposure to hyper-wave radiation causes crippling cognitive dysfunction. It's a disorder I like to call:

Victor Steiner-Davion.

:golfclap:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Shoeless posted:

Isn't there a record sheet for Apollyon's custom Shootist that runs around shooting people with a mobile HPG, and it kills basically anything it's pointed at?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

Isn't there a record sheet for Apollyon's custom Shootist that runs around shooting people with a mobile HPG, and it kills basically anything it's pointed at?

Nah, he just had C3i, an Arrow IV launcher full of Davey Crocketts, and a good PR company.

Edit: All you need to do to use an Arrow IV Crockett with complete (personal) safety is to be able to hit a hex 21 hexes away. You have radiation resistant cyborg men to get irradiated for you.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 17, 2016

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

Like the quake 3 AI server, the dropship AI came to the conclusion 0:0 was better than 1:1 and comes to a halt. The attempts to disarm and dismantle the units were not shared with the public.

Scintilla posted:

This is a thing we've done in real life, to great effect. Recently a company designed a combat aircraft AI, ALPHA, that has a perfect dogfighting record against actual USAF expert pilots. They took input from said pilot expert during the initial design phase and then generated a lot of copies of the AI with subtly different settings and had them all fight one another over and over. Using that data they took the most successful of the copies, merged them together to get the best traits from them, and then created a bunch of "children" from the new improved AI. Repeat a bunch of times and you come out with an AI at the end that is way more capable than the starting AI with no human input on tactics. And it was all done on a $500 desktop, not some fancy supercomputing cluster.

USAF Col. Gene Lee, ret. posted:

"I was surprised at how aware and reactive it was," Lee said. "It seemed to be aware of my intentions and reacting instantly to my changes in flight and my missile deployment. It knew how to defeat the shot I was taking. It moved instantly between defensive and offensive actions as needed."

I'm not sure if this sort of capability exists in the battletech universe, but I sure hope it does.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

No way, that would defeat humans being the actors in Battletech, as there aren't any true cyborgs upgrading their minds.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Olothreutes posted:

I'm not sure if this sort of capability exists in the battletech universe, but I sure hope it does.

Not even close. At least not in canon.

Edit: I forgot about the CASPAR drone system, specifically the original employed by the Star League. That was a thing, but it's gone by the fall of the Star League.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The WoB figured them out enough to get Terra's Caspar system working again.

• Locked thread