Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Revolver Bunker posted:

Tried playing again the past couple of days after stopping 6 months ago. The game is much better then it use to be. I'm not sure how I feel about the medic perk rework. Its the only class that I actually ground up to 25. On one hand I miss the ability to give armor. On the other hand venting musk during every start of zed time is pretty good for keeping team mates healed up close though I wish I got healed as well. The LAR feels much more like the KF1 LAR which is a plus. M14 is sort of meh and the railgun confuses me on how it functions.

The trick with the railgun is that as soon as you buy it (or pick it up, if you've thrown it down for some reason), you've gotta hit whatever alt-fire button you have bound to get it out of lock-on mode. The gun is only doing half damage in lock-on mode and is thus completely worthless outside of Normal difficulty, or if you're trying to hit a FP/Scrake that is heavily wounded but very pissed off, in which case something has already gone wrong. The railgun can one-shot Scrakes on at least Suicidal with the level 5 and 10 damage buffs and two-shot Fleshpounds. A capable Sharpshooter with a railgun should mean no one else on the team should bother with Scrakes beyond calling them out if the Sharp isn't looking that way.

Also, the zed time fart clouds that medics get is cool and good, but try to avoid standing next to teammates that need to aim carefully (when zed time hits, but that's random so welp) - for some reason Tripwire decided it would be a great idea for medic farts to violently shake the screen, turning Zed Time into Slow-Motion Aggravation Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
"Medics make the team OP, so their very presence needs to ruin zed time for all gun classes" -- what someone did, hopefully unintentionally

also how long did that post-resist shitstorm promise of more frequent or weekly or whatever update posts last? about one week?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Started ranking up Commando alongside SWAT and I'm enjoying it, the assault rifles are kinda fun to use. What perks are people taking? I've been going got the 50%+ extra magazines over tactical reload and the pistol/weapon switch is nice early game. I tend to forget to switch for later waves so I've no idea if the extra stumble is any good on this class.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Flipswitch posted:

Started ranking up Commando alongside SWAT and I'm enjoying it, the assault rifles are kinda fun to use. What perks are people taking? I've been going got the 50%+ extra magazines over tactical reload and the pistol/weapon switch is nice early game. I tend to forget to switch for later waves so I've no idea if the extra stumble is any good on this class.

I maxed at Commando in ye olden days when you had a to pick between a damage bonus when you're using single fire or when you're using auto fire. As of now, I'm using fast reloads and the pistol/weapon switching perk, and opting for bigger magazine sizes over stumbling zeds. Commando is really refreshing after playing SWAT for a while because you just feel powerful one-shotting stuff that often took two as SWAT.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Commando is my other class that's at 15+. It's a little upsetting trying to find targets after I can just click on crowds at get 100xp as demo. I need to at least be hihg enough to one shot crawlers on suicidal before I play more of it as commando I think.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
The leap in difficulty from Hard to Suicidal is even more pronounced now than I remember :stare:

You've got poison crawlers out the rear end, alpha clots can enrage everyone around them now (???) and I'm pretty sure every zed is even more likely to sprint / dodge.

It's craaaaazy

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah I think the special trash should be in hard, they're interesting. The sprint crawlers and changes in numbers is enough for suicidal I think.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

immortal flow posted:

You've got poison crawlers out the rear end, alpha clots can enrage everyone around them now (???) and I'm pretty sure every zed is even more likely to sprint / dodge.

The big changes in Suicidal besides outright damage buffs is every monster has I think a 99% chance to be sprinting the moment they dodge, and monsters that can block or evade have a 95% chance of doing so the moment they take damage. A lot of monsters also get new attacks, like Husks using their flamethrowers as actual flamethrowers, Gorefasts running while slashing, and Clots opting to outright attack instead of grab.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

immortal flow posted:

The leap in difficulty from Hard to Suicidal is even more pronounced now than I remember :stare:

It's craaaaazy

On the other hand, the increased zed numbers and spawns means a lot more targets as Demo.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

closeted republican posted:

On the other hand, the increased zed numbers and spawns means a lot more targets as Demo.

And less wasted pellets as Support. And they tend to come in bigger groups, so all grenades are instantly way better.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

ClonedPickle posted:

The trick with the railgun is that as soon as you buy it (or pick it up, if you've thrown it down for some reason), you've gotta hit whatever alt-fire button you have bound to get it out of lock-on mode. The gun is only doing half damage in lock-on mode and is thus completely worthless outside of Normal difficulty, or if you're trying to hit a FP/Scrake that is heavily wounded but very pissed off, in which case something has already gone wrong. The railgun can one-shot Scrakes on at least Suicidal with the level 5 and 10 damage buffs and two-shot Fleshpounds. A capable Sharpshooter with a railgun should mean no one else on the team should bother with Scrakes beyond calling them out if the Sharp isn't looking that way.

Also, the zed time fart clouds that medics get is cool and good, but try to avoid standing next to teammates that need to aim carefully (when zed time hits, but that's random so welp) - for some reason Tripwire decided it would be a great idea for medic farts to violently shake the screen, turning Zed Time into Slow-Motion Aggravation Time.

I didn't realize that there was a damage difference with the railgun. Would make sense why I was killing things faster not using the lock on I guess. The medic musk aoe rocking people around is something I had no idea was happening. That's a terrible design choice. It makes it a punishment to get healed.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Theta Zero posted:

I maxed at Commando in ye olden days when you had a to pick between a damage bonus when you're using single fire or when you're using auto fire. As of now, I'm using fast reloads and the pistol/weapon switching perk, and opting for bigger magazine sizes over stumbling zeds. Commando is really refreshing after playing SWAT for a while because you just feel powerful one-shotting stuff that often took two as SWAT.

At first I wasn't too hot on SWAT but I've got the hang of it now. Trigger control is loving king to save your ammo. Against gorefasts and other trash just tap the mouse quickly and hipfire 2-3 round bursts aiming for the head. You'll get used to aiming without the sights and I'll usually end the early rounds with half my MP7 ammo still left. For sirens and above, ADS and dump into them with your team. Flashbangs are great for stunning FPs and scrakes.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kikas posted:

And less wasted pellets as Support. And they tend to come in bigger groups, so all grenades are instantly way better.

counterpoint: sharp grenades still useless

in other news, here is the best custom map: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=706750414

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Psion posted:

counterpoint: sharp grenades still useless

in other news, here is the best custom map: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=706750414

Luchadork, Bluetail and I played that the other day. It was a neat novelty but the just swarm you way too much and it's too open so you get Husks spamming at you constantly.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Theta Zero posted:

Luchadork, Bluetail and I played that the other day. It was a neat novelty but the just swarm you way too much and it's too open so you get Husks spamming at you constantly.

Sorry you're bad.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Sorry you're bad.

We won it on Suicidal, actually. I didn't like it because having monsters in all directions and constantly getting knocked around by Husks is annoying but I guess the way I phrased it wasn't obvious enough.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

We found two areas of the map where husks couldn't really spam you the way you talk about, though if you hang out by the docks and the river, I could see it being an issue.

i think it's mostly my favorite because it's got charm in a game generally devoid of it

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Is it me, or are weapon combos not nearly as effective as they are in KF1? Combos are quite dependent on there no being other zeds in the area (which is much harder than in KF1 because of the smaller maps and increased spawn-rates, especially after the SWAT update) and nobody else shooting the target while you're doing the combo. If any of those are broken, then combo is hosed and it turns into magdumping on the target's weak point. It's often easier just to let the least combo-dependent class kill them, or at least start firing so the target has taken a lot of damage by the time he's raged. It really hurts Gunslinger, who relies on combos that require no trash nor someone else shooting the target to kill Scrakes.

The best strategy for Scrake-killing seems to be "wait for someone to fire the first shot, then unload on the head" in most situations. Only SWAT has a really effective combo that doesn't depend on someone else not screwing everything up by shooting the Scrake as well.

Most of the combos you see posted on places like /kfg/ seem more like they're to show how "pro" the recorder is in a sterile test environment (which is like thinking you're pro because you can beat a solo game) than something that actually works in the field.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 18, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The best combo is to let the demo shoot it with a rocket first. God drat sharps kept aggroing the FPs and we died.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Sonic the Hoxhaist posted:

The best combo is to let the demo shoot it with a rocket first. God drat sharps kept aggroing the FPs and we died.

Yes. The best "combo" for FPs is "Let the Demo blow up the FP with the RPG-7 while killing the Crawlers and Stalkers heading for the Demo" and the "best" combos for the Scrake are "Let SWAT flashbang and Kriss him", "Let the Sharp, Demo, or Support headshot him with the Railgun, RPG-7, or Boomstick" or "Magdump into his head when he's raged when we don't have a Sharp, Demo, or SWAT". Everything else is an exercise in frustration and getting teammates killed.

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013
:frogsiren: Do not play kf-partyhard, it is a trap.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Colosmicon posted:

:frogsiren: Do not play kf-partyhard, it is a trap.

Is it the kind of party that has lemons?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Kikas posted:

Is it the kind of party that has lemons?

If I remember correctly, it's a series of warehouses that play way-too-loud dubstep music.

That or it's the seizure-inducing map.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So last night I decided to power up my medic towards lv.15 and some dick on my team decided to weld a door behind me as I went to get some ammo in the Containment map and I got murdered. That was poo poo.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Everytime I come back to this game something weird and seemingly small? is different. Like, Zeds block headshots now lol what?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06fTV0jCoWE

I made a video compiling every time the game broke while we were playing custom maps.

And also great custom maps in general. If anything look at 7:12 for a custom map you should definitely play called "Arcade Shopping."

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013
KF2 is to neo-nazis what TF2 was to furries.

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012
I mean I haven't seen any white nationalist servers but okay. I've seen plenty of furry servers though.

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

Misandry Cannon posted:

I mean I haven't seen any white nationalist servers but okay. I've seen plenty of furry servers though.

The neo-nazi servers would get delisted pretty quick, but man there sure are a lot of players with iron crosses and stahlhelms in their avs. Coincidentally, they're usually playing as Anton.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I've literally never seen a neo-nazi server. At least not one that was serious about it.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I see more Fosters than anyone else. Unno where you get this neo nazi thing from, furries are deffo more numerous.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

So last night I decided to power up my medic towards lv.15 and some dick on my team decided to weld a door behind me as I went to get some ammo in the Containment map and I got murdered. That was poo poo.

That's funny

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Flipswitch posted:

I was playing with friends and one of them tried to weld a pubbie out on Containment Station by hoping he'd run outside the door to pick up the ammo.

I hope that wasn't you, because it was pretty funny.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

That sounds like me. :v:

I threw all my grenades at the door so they could see my blue clouds of suffering.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So the 10th perk is called Survivalist, not the Martial Artist. It's supposed to be a jack of all trades perk and sounds pretty interesting.

https://www.destructoid.com/killing-floor-2-s-tenth-perk-is-the-survivalist-388893.phtml

From the way the article makes it sound, you have a choice from a wide range of skills to build your own perk. If they don't nerf it into the ground from the start ( i.e. survivalist medic better than actual medic ), it sounds really loving badass the more I read about it.

Skoll fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 23, 2016

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010
It sounds like Tripwire went "how do we make a 10th perk without making any new assets?"

Not Electricity Class/10

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't bother me in the slightest, I like mixing and matching.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm not really sure how they're going to incorporate that kind of versatility with just 10 perk choices. Particularly when you've just started out and you haven't even unlocked those perks yet.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
It's either going to be the obviously best perk, or notably suboptimal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The proposed(?) patch notes also nerf firebug splash, because it really needed that somehow?

I have to agree the class sounds spectacularly lazy. "How can we make a new class without really making anything new? I know..."

"We made this perk ability work as intended, so now we also have to nerf the perk." I don't think they see the contradiction in that statement. Of course, remember that stalkers were "intended" to be shotgunproof bullshit magnets and they just somehow failed to ever say so in 6 years of KF, so it means essentially nothing.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 23, 2016