Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Noam Chomsky posted:

That's probably it, too, tbh. I'll see you all in the Foxconn factory where we'll all be working inside of a year to make incrementally different platinum iPhones for all of Mitt Romney's children.

I hear they have nets attached to the building so you can relax by jumping into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Skandranon posted:

I hear they have nets attached to the building so you can relax by jumping into them.
We used to have to pay tickets for this when the carnival came through town!

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Skandranon posted:

Pretty hype about that tbh

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Skandranon posted:

hit 2.25x your quoata and you get an extra hour in the net pit

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

It's completely different in the UK, especially in the north west where good* developers are as rare as rocking horse poo poo. At least according to recruiters;

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/war-digital-talent-north-west-ben-gledhill

This means salaries are shooting up like crazy, there's unreal amounts of developer churn as people are fighting for anyone who has uttered the phrase TDD.

* Good seems to mean good at the buzzword bingo and not a disruptive influence. gently caress graduates, people who may need some coaching, or the old.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I just got an offer today :yotj: I've been demoted from full stack to front end, but at least it's an Angular house. And while it's a tiny pay cut, all the benefits and the lack of a commute especially make up for it.

Now I have to give notice. I want to only give a week (long story short the three of us were sold a story involving a large degree of autonomy, but it turns out the founder loves to meddle and after two months of development he unilaterally imposed a stack that forced us to scrap everything and develop like it's 2010), but professional decorum says, obviously, that two weeks is best.

How could only giving a week bite me in the rear end later on? I want to start the new job by the end of the month to get up to speed in time for the project start and get on the new company's health insurance on October 1st, but two weeks would have me starting on the 3rd so I'd lose the time to experiment with a few new frameworks without pressure to perform and I'd have to deal with COBRA.

Can I just give, like, a week and a half?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

IAmKale posted:

I just got an offer today :yotj: I've been demoted from full stack to front end, but at least it's an Angular house. And while it's a tiny pay cut, all the benefits and the lack of a commute especially make up for it.

Now I have to give notice. I want to only give a week (long story short the three of us were sold a story involving a large degree of autonomy, but it turns out the founder loves to meddle and after two months of development he unilaterally imposed a stack that forced us to scrap everything and develop like it's 2010), but professional decorum says, obviously, that two weeks is best.

How could only giving a week bite me in the rear end later on? I want to start the new job by the end of the month to get up to speed in time for the project start and get on the new company's health insurance on October 1st, but two weeks would have me starting on the 3rd so I'd lose the time to experiment with a few new frameworks without pressure to perform and I'd have to deal with COBRA.

Can I just give, like, a week and a half?

They could not give you a reference or say bad things they're not supposed to or infer bad things if called to verify work history. They could also be precious about your final check. You can give as much or as little notice you want in most states in the U.S. Maybe check your employment agreement, but terms limiting your ability to quit have the ring of unenforceable garbage (IANAL).

Insurance usually works out so it's valid through the end of the month. So you shouldn't need to deal with COBRA until like 6 weeks out from notice.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Switch it around: how would leaving one week notice work to your benefit?

It won't. Don't gamble on something with no payoff.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Yeah, do the right thing. Give 2 weeks notice and slack off for it.

Also, if it's a tiny pay cut, tell them, and ask for your at least your current! Never hurts to ask.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Alright, thanks for the input. I've just given a proper two-week notice. With any luck they'll just let me go sooner rather than later since I wasn't working on anything important anyway :haw:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

why does US culture continue the insult of being expected to give employers 2 weeks notice to quit but employers are not expected to extend the same courtesy when they fire you

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

comedyblissoption posted:

why does US culture continue the insult of being expected to give employers 2 weeks notice to quit but employers are not expected to extend the same courtesy when they fire you

Puritanical Work Ethic

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Well (in Canada anyways) they must pay you out 2 weeks, regardless if you work it or not. So even if they tell you to GTFO, you effectively get 2 weeks warning.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Why are you so insulted? Unless you're rage quitting there's no reason not to give notice.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

sarehu posted:

Why are you so insulted? Unless you're rage quitting there's no reason not to give notice.

I think it's the asymmetry he is calling out.

The concern is that if you, the worker, don't give plenty of notice and opportunity to replace you, you're at fault.
But the employer can basically say "get the gently caress out" at a moment's notice and you're expected to leave and be owed nothing because obviously, if they gave notice to you, you might HARM THEM.

Hilariously, today was the last day at my job(I have another lined up in a week) and when I gave notice, my boss literally tried to shame/beg/guilt/inspire me into not-quitting and/or giving him 3-4 weeks notice instead of 2 - but I held firm and...that was pretty much the last conversation we ever had.

Is it usual for Fortune 500s to *not* exit interview their outgoing technical staff?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Cuntpunch posted:

The concern is that if you, the worker, don't give plenty of notice and opportunity to replace you, you're at fault.
But the employer can basically say "get the gently caress out" at a moment's notice and you're expected to leave and be owed nothing because obviously, if they gave notice to you, you might HARM THEM.

No poo poo. It's a totally banal point, because obviously you don't keep employing somebody that has no motivation to work hard or might have a grudge against you. Leaving with notice, on the other hand, lets your departure be handled much more economically optimally. This is all obvious and whining about it is stupid.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
A couple hours after I gave notice they responded with, "don't worry about coming to work anymore, we'll still pay you for the two weeks" :hellyeah:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Anybody know if there's a difference between "Architect" and "Systems Engineer?" There's talk about creating a new position that more closely reflects my job duties and I'm lobbying for "Architect," but the higher-ups are leaning toward "Systems Engineer."

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

CPColin posted:

Anybody know if there's a difference between "Architect" and "Systems Engineer?" There's talk about creating a new position that more closely reflects my job duties and I'm lobbying for "Architect," but the higher-ups are leaning toward "Systems Engineer."

I don't know how everyone else defines them, but in my current project Architect appears to imply technical leadership as well, whether it's on a project that has multiple systems or not.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Job titles in programming and IT are completely loving arbitrary and vary wildly from one company to the next. I'd lobby for Architect since that's generally the more senior and respected title. But at the end of the day it's the actual role and responsibilities that matter.

For context, my title is Senior Systems Engineer. I'm 100% on the Ops side of the house (though I write enough code to be dangerous). I spend my days doing anything from writing Chef cookbooks to configuring MySQL to troubleshooting hardware issues. Which I'm guessing is very different from your role, since you're posting in CoC and the title of Architect is also in play. So to me, Systems Engineer seems inappropriate. But I'm sure other companies use it to describe high level dev leads, and to them it sounds perfectly reasonable. :shrug:

So yeah, I would push for Architect in your shoes. But I also wouldn't die on that hill if management is making a huge stinking deal over it.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Titles are nuts but in general architect is pretty high up there on the chain while still being a primarily technical role.

I worked at place where everyone was a VP, down to the help desk folks. Not sure how they ended up like that.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Docjowles posted:

Job titles in programming and IT are completely loving arbitrary and vary wildly from one company to the next. I'd lobby for Architect since that's generally the more senior and respected title. But at the end of the day it's the actual role and responsibilities that matter.

For context, my title is Senior Systems Engineer. I'm 100% on the Ops side of the house (though I write enough code to be dangerous). I spend my days doing anything from writing Chef cookbooks to configuring MySQL to troubleshooting hardware issues. Which I'm guessing is very different from your role, since you're posting in CoC and the title of Architect is also in play. So to me, Systems Engineer seems inappropriate. But I'm sure other companies use it to describe high level dev leads, and to them it sounds perfectly reasonable. :shrug:

So yeah, I would push for Architect in your shoes. But I also wouldn't die on that hill if management is making a huge stinking deal over it.

I once interviewed at a place as a systems programmer and they asked me a bunch of CJ stuff when I was expecting kernel programming. It didn't go well :v:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Horn posted:

Titles are nuts but in general architect is pretty high up there on the chain while still being a primarily technical role.

I worked at place where everyone was a VP, down to the help desk folks. Not sure how they ended up like that.

I'm going to guess that the company was in financial services. Everyone is a VP because titles don't mean anything, but there are regulations around them anyway.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

leper khan posted:

I'm going to guess that the company was in financial services. Everyone is a VP because titles don't mean anything, but there are regulations around them anyway.

Likewise, go over to your sales team and ask the 17 year old intern what their title is. It's probably Senior Executive Director of Business Development or something. Because sales is a horrible arms race between "I don't want to talk to someone who's just going to waste my time" and "I don't want to seem like someone who's just going to waste their time".

I guess the real takeaway is "lol job titles" unless it's an industry where they're regulated by law. Where they're still bad but at least you know how and why.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Horn posted:

A lot of companies don't have architects as a dedicated role, some places it is the nomenclature for a drag-n-drop UI based developer ala TIBCO Business Works or similar:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
There is definitely a connotation difference - an architect will almost certainly hold seniority over an otherwise equal engineer. However, companies have upped the arms race on titles with more modern terms like "Senior Member of Technical Staff" and "Lead * Engineer" which could supersede an architect potentially. I'm generally inclined to think a company that is a sales culture means an "architect" is probably in sales based upon my experience in such companies.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have discovered the term "system engineer" is apparently very volitile in particular. It general implies integration, but it could be a weak technical, customer-facing position.

If I were defining the role, I would consider it a system engineer role if it is dealing with a lot of plumbing to make things that are usually oblivious to each other. So it is broader where an architect would be deeper.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Thanks, all. I was getting the impression, during our conversation, that "Systems Engineer" was closer to DevOps than I wanted my role to sound. My boss even said, "The role would be a developer who supports DevOps." and I suggested the term "DevOps" already encompasses that.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

CPColin posted:

Thanks, all. I was getting the impression, during our conversation, that "Systems Engineer" was closer to DevOps than I wanted my role to sound. My boss even said, "The role would be a developer who supports DevOps." and I suggested the term "DevOps" already encompasses that.

That is a new one to me, but after the goofy Amazon interview I had for a systems engineering position, I am absolutely unsuprised. I guess a lot of places have decided that a systems engineer is to a sysadmin as a custodial engineer is to a janitor. So yeah, DevOps is DevOps.

I hate having to get into semantics and establish taxonomies, but people keep coming up with their own interpretations of words that should be an industry standard. So is life. It is worth fighting over because it will lead to more misunderstanding later if you do not clarify this stuff now.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That is a new one to me, but after the goofy Amazon interview I had for a systems engineering position, I am absolutely unsuprised. I guess a lot of places have decided that a systems engineer is to a sysadmin as a custodial engineer is to a janitor. So yeah, DevOps is DevOps.

I hate having to get into semantics and establish taxonomies, but people keep coming up with their own interpretations of words that should be an industry standard. So is life. It is worth fighting over because it will lead to more misunderstanding later if you do not clarify this stuff now.

The craziest part of that one is systems programming has been an actual thing since.. I dunno, the 60s?

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

in the mainframe world, "systems programmer" means "sysadmin"..
originally it was just the same as it is more generally, a coder who worked at the OS/infra level. but they did so in order to control the machine itself, because high-level operating systems didn't exist. over time the role morphed to not include any programming at all, but retained the title

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

There is definitely a connotation difference - an architect will almost certainly hold seniority over an otherwise equal engineer. However, companies have upped the arms race on titles with more modern terms like "Senior Member of Technical Staff" and "Lead * Engineer" which could supersede an architect potentially. I'm generally inclined to think a company that is a sales culture means an "architect" is probably in sales based upon my experience in such companies.

And this is why you don't try to generalize job titles too much between companies.

When I was at Oracle years ago, Member of Technical Staff was the second individual contributor role, above super-entry level position that a new college grad from a good school would skip completely. Senior MTS was my position, and the guy who had been there for 20+ years and was on the company wide architecture review board was a Senior Architect, the highest individual contributor role in the company.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Steve French posted:

And this is why you don't try to generalize job titles too much between companies.

Working in Development: Don't Try to Generalize Job Titles Between Companies

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
I love how associate means partner in law offices and intern in software.

It's like navy captain vs army captain.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
God drat it. I got a PHY to identify itself, but it won't send out network traffic. The TX clock is all hosed up and I'm not sure why. :argh:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

leper khan posted:

Home Depot uses that word too. One of my first jobs was "Lot Associate" which is somehow more demeaning than "Cart Bitch"

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

revmoo posted:

Home Depot uses that word too. One of my first jobs was "Lot Associate" which is somehow more demeaning than "Cart Bitch"

I read that two times as "Lost Associate." I don't know what is worse.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

leper khan posted:

I'm a language lawyer with a JavaScript practice, OP. I also dabble in personal inj - uh, I mean CSS.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 19, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

revmoo posted:

Walmart does similar things; pretty much everybody was a "sales associate" as their actual job title. You could get more specific and be all like "I'm a dairy associate!" or something. A few jobs were just the job like "unloader" was a guy that unloaded trucks. But really anybody that wasn't below a department/shift manager was a cashier, unloader, or associate.

Somehow calling somebody that stocks shelves a "sales associate" doesn't seem quite right. When I quit that job I was still a "sales associate" even though I was quite often hiding in the back sorting freight.

leper khan posted:

Let's also not forget that sometimes an entry-level programming position might still have the word "engineer" in the title. Or you might work at a place that hires developers but none of them are "engineers." Or the IT guys will be called "engineers" while the software guys are "developers." Who the hell even knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
My team actually just changed names from "systems engineering" to "architecture" last week, interestingly enough. We did then rejigger the reporting lines so that the system engineers now report to one architect. In our area the architects figure out what features are going to end up in what releases, how the different parts of the stack should talk to each other, and generally figure out the strategy in getting things done and merged without shutting the bed. The systems engineers take ownership of a feature, and then make sure the developers aren't being dumb and that the work is doable and makes sense given the bigger picture.

My limited understanding being pretty new to this world, at least.