Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thinking back to the long history of Rudy Giuliani Is An idiot, what exactly tanked his presidential run again? I can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/777013142526185473

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Night10194 posted:

Thinking back to the long history of Rudy Giuliani Is An idiot, what exactly tanked his presidential run again? I can't remember.

betting his entire campaign on the fourth state to vote without considering how badly losing the first three would affect how he was perceived

that and supporting abortion

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

So, did he read the headline and not the article, or is this "negative attention from media outlets I disagree with is a good thing"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pakled posted:

So, did he read the headline and not the article, or is this "negative attention from media outlets I disagree with is a good thing"

Headline, not article, obviously.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pakled posted:

Maybe he's breaking kayfabe and he's about to shoot on the Republicans

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

betting his entire campaign on the fourth state to vote without considering how badly losing the first three would affect how he was perceived

that and supporting abortion
The fact he was Mr. 9-11 didn't help.

As in, he was like that old Family Guy where the wife just says Noun Verb 9-11.

"Mr Giuliani, how would your health care plan..."

'GUYS SICK 9-11!'

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

straight up brolic posted:

No one's disarming the loving population, gun people are always incapable of any nuance.

Look you bleeding-heart liberals can say what you like, but the second we start making people register their weapons, tyranny has arrived. The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a device that sprays the entire population of Chicago with VX, is a good guy with a device that sprays the entire population of Chicago with VX.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nessus posted:

Maybe he's breaking kayfabe and he's about to shoot on the Republicans

It's kind of amazing that there's a non-zero chance that when Trump gets the first question at the first debate he's just gonna say "Season 12 of the Apprentice starts October 5th on NBC" and then walk out.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Splendid, thank you

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

So now he's just bragging about hoodwinking the American media, I'd like to think that his hubris has pushed him too far but I doubt the media will call him to task. I can imagine CNN on Monday with a talking head for each side duking it out while the moderator just sits there, totally cowed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Filthy Hans posted:

So now he's just bragging about hoodwinking the American media, I'd like to think that his hubris has pushed him too far but I doubt the media will call him to task. I can imagine CNN on Monday with a talking head for each side duking it out while the moderator just sits there, totally cowed.

Considering how pissed off they are right now (they're actually using the terms 'liar' or 'lie' or 'falsehood') I'm not entirely sure pissing them off further is a good move for him.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Filthy Hans posted:

I'm 85% sure that he did not read the article

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Filthy Hans posted:

The big and real alarming conclusion of this election for me is that Donald Trump's cunning is good enough to scam most Americans at least once. You might not vote for him, you might not pay for his fake college or his son's nouveau-riche wine, you might not go to a press avail at one of his hotels hoping for something other than a publicity stunt, you might not even ever ever take him seriously, and you might have realized since 1987 that his marketing of wealth is identical to that of Ted DiBiase, and as equally illusory, but he's going to scam you, even if it's just into promoting his event. At least once, he's going to get you.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

As in, he was like that old Family Guy where the wife just says Noun Verb 9-11.

Plagiarismo di Plagiarismo strikes again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPOAKXBi9Pw

Frogfingers fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 17, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
WaPo's media columnist is calling for the TV media to stop being such dipshits.

quote:

Meanwhile, as if to illustrate in caricature the differences in the candidates’ styles — and relative success with the media — the Democratic nominee was doing something unexciting, substantial and workmanlike: addressing the Black Women’s Agenda Symposium, talking about the economic challenges faced by women of color.

It got, of course, only a fraction of the media’s attention.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Reminder, Trump's Weekend of Silence w/r/t Clinton was because his own staffers took his phone away.

Weak.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 17, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

If everyone in this picture was Metal Gear SURVIVE'd out of our dimension the world would be a better place. c/d

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Hahaha tell us how you really feel, New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/17/opinion/donald-trumps-latest-birther-lie.html

quote:

The midday bulletin arrived as another bizarre moment in the absurdist presidential campaign of Donald Trump: News Alert: Trump admits Obama was born in the United States.

What? It read like some variation on “Trump Finds the Earth No Longer Flat.” But no, Mr. Trump, the ultimate mountebank, was at it again, altering but not abandoning the Big Lie campaign that first made him the darling of wing nuts and racists five years ago: his vicious insistence that President Obama was not born a legitimate American citizen.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
The best part is that it would have been so easy for Trump to avoid this whole thing and just coast to the first debate. He didn't have to address the birther issue at all, he could have just kept relatively quiet/played coy with it like he has been, and it would have kept working. It probably would have died off in under a week. He was almost winning and he (probably) hosed it up again. Of course the stupid gun comment didn't help either.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So did the media just spend 3 weeks indulging in Hillary conspiracy theories so that they have the capital to hatefuck Trump's campaign through the debates? Did they lull Trump into a false sense of security?

Or will the false balance continue to be false.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie

Frogfingers posted:

Plagiarismo di Plagiarismo strikes again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPOAKXBi9Pw

I'm really going to miss Joe Biden.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
media today is the nerdy pasty kid that snaps suddenly and flattens a classmate with a desk

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

media today is the nerdy pasty kid that snaps suddenly and flattens a classmate with a desk
This media... is inhuman...!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

thats the ap wire story for the event lmao

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

woke wedding drone posted:

The big and real alarming conclusion of this election for me is that Donald Trump's cunning is good enough to scam most Americans at least once. You might not vote for him, you might not pay for his fake college or his son's nouveau-riche wine, you might not go to a press avail at one of his hotels hoping for something other than a publicity stunt, you might not even ever ever take him seriously, and you might have realized since 1987 that his marketing of wealth is identical to that of Ted DiBiase, and as equally illusory, but he's going to scam you, even if it's just into promoting his event. At least once, he's going to get you.

His whole campaign is one big scam for attention and power. If, by some miracle, the press remains pissed enough to do their jobs instead of court his deluded fanboys, we might have a chance to make some of his legion of angry white men recognize that they have been fooled.

iospace posted:

Pretty much. Trump warming to the media is definitely Conway, though I'm sure right now she's also livid. Yesterday in NH was pretty much him giving her the finger and he raised the second one today in DC. She's been making the rounds trying to make him seem more reasonable (really, she's pretty much been his best surrogate thus far), and Trump just blew that.

CNN crossed the Ivana line today, more outlets are asking for the audit letter, and he brought birtherism back to the forefront where the GOP does /not/ want it back.

And Trump is trying to call him and his supporters deplorable and soon enough the press is going to actually do it and mean it.

As the election approaches and some actual pressure is applied, Trump will become so pissed that there will be no publicist skilled enough to contain him. He's jonesing for a fix of the worship he got in the primaries and not capable of realizing why he isn't getting it now. He'll rationalize it as being held back by his staff and likely fire Conway or anyone else he thinks is stifling him. Once unrestrained, he'll fire off more lies, more racism, more misogyny, and louder bullying than ever in attempt to restore the magic of his primary. We can only hope that this close to Election Day, people are actually able to see him becoming president is a real possibility and be terrified enough to do something to prevent it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

vyelkin posted:

no you see something something about overthrowing the government with my ar-15 because the government doesn't have access to high powered weapons like ar-15s

The logical conclusion is unfettered civilian access to howitzers.

And frankly, how else are you supposed to stop a bad person with a howitzer?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Is he seriously trying to claim the puppet master defense? If there's one thing that can destroy his credibility with 4chan it's claiming the puppet master defense

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

why would you specifically reiterate this in tweet form

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Yinlock posted:

This is more or less what it comes down to, the question comes up of "why do you need a loving assault rifle outside of a range" and there's no real answer to that so they dumb it down to black & white.

Yup. Guns are fun toys that allow them to indulge in imagination time or security blankets rather than deadly weapons to far too many. Reducing homicides and improving safety mean nothing if it entails you ending their fun. They can't admit it, especially not to themselves, so gun nuts invent elaborate fantasies to explain why they need their full arsenal on hand at all times to defend Freedom. No amount of school shootings or accidental deaths will ever be enough to make some stranger's life more important that their toys.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Considering how pissed off they are right now (they're actually using the terms 'liar' or 'lie' or 'falsehood') I'm not entirely sure pissing them off further is a good move for him.

like that's ever stopped him

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Friends Are Evil posted:

why would you specifically reiterate this in tweet form

excellent

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Can you imagine trying to explain to Donald Trump why it was bad to say that, and advising him not to say it again

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

how many times does this make it now that he's wink-wink-nudge-nudged about shooting Hillary Clinton?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Do the Trump insane tweets and "okay" tweets still follow the android-apple pattern?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Augus posted:

how many times does this make it now that he's wink-wink-nudge-nudged about shooting Hillary Clinton?
Just two I think. Did I miss one?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I really don't get why it's so hard to understand why specially trained people whose pretty much entire job is to handle guns might be trusted with one more than some random guy who just bought one cus it looked fun. "If I don't get to drive an 18 wheeler full of fertilizer down the highway without a license, why do truckers with their 'CDLs' and 'hazmat certifications' get to, huh?"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

Do the Trump insane tweets and "okay" tweets still follow the android-apple pattern?

yeah

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Augus posted:

2, though he's also hinted that Russia would be rewarded if they hacked the democrats more

Trump is extremely bad at subterfuge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

woke wedding drone posted:

Can you imagine trying to explain to Donald Trump why it was bad to say that, and advising him not to say it again

lol no i cannot

• Locked thread