Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Lassitude posted:

It's kind of lovely the MP side is so lacking considering the RPG elements are so heavy this time around. You'd think this would be the title to really double down on MP.

That advanced element only really worked in Shogun because there weren't really any factions, everyone was essentially the same. It can't really come up in the same way here without a lot of effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Has there been any word on what/when the next DLC will be?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DO IT TO IT posted:

either a free update to bretonnia, or wood elves.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Pendent posted:

That is probably my biggest criticism- you can't change colors at all. In a Warhammer game.

You only need one colour in warhammer: Green.

p.s. please add skaven soon TW

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

DO IT TO IT posted:

From the FLC roadmap CA posted, next free update is a new Lore of Magic, followed by a new Hero. As the last time this happened both dropped at once (Lore of Beasts + Amber Wizard), the general assumption is that the same thing happens this time.

For DLC, the startpos datamine suggested Wood Elves for DLC5 (this upcoming one). Combine this with them making use of the Lore of Life, which is not currently in game, and Beastmen getting a lore added as FLC when they dropped, and it seems likely the prediction will hold.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dartonus posted:

From the FLC roadmap CA posted, next free update is a new Lore of Magic, followed by a new Hero. As the last time this happened both dropped at once (Lore of Beasts + Amber Wizard), the general assumption is that the same thing happens this time.

For DLC, the startpos datamine suggested Wood Elves for DLC5 (this upcoming one). Combine this with them making use of the Lore of Life, which is not currently in game, and Beastmen getting a lore added as FLC when they dropped, and it seems likely the prediction will hold.
And Wood Elves before Brets make me pretty happy, too. Can't wait to get my LSD murderforest on.

e: vvvvv If its coming before/near the Wood Elf release, its got to be Life, right? Which could easily be a pretty close copy/paste of Death if they want it to be.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 16, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I wonder what the new lore of magic will be.

I hope it has a bunch of spells that are copies of existing ones but with blue particles instead of red particles and then one spell that is so hilariously broken it shuts down MP for two weeks.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
VC is so goddamn annoying go fight as practically any faction. A regeneration cap doesnt matter when the VC units will outlast their opponent regardless.

Edit: in multiplayer. The AI is clueless about faction advantages.

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 16, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

VC have no artillery or ranged. You want to make them come to you and pick at them as they move. Their crumbling mechanic is also probably even more damaging than routing - at least a unit that routs at half HP will come back later, but a unit that starts crumbling at half HP will die very quickly.

There's not a single faction that doesn't have some sort of useful artillery or ranged piece. Even Beastmen have Cygors. And a manually controlled hellcanon from Chaos can get upwards of 150 kills in the time it takes a vampire army to get into range.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ammanas posted:

VC is so goddamn annoying go fight as practically any faction. A regeneration cap doesnt matter when the VC units will outlast their opponent regardless.

Edit: in multiplayer. The AI is clueless about faction advantages.

I'm also looking to figure out ways of reliably beating the regen stack of vampires online, but not having the most success. Hit me up on steam ( http://steamcommunity.com/id/captainbeans/ )if you want to run some trials on mumble or discord or whatever.

I'm just playing VC and noting what I lose to now, which so far is only to a Dwarf who brought 12x gyrocopters and hid his lord in the corner behind 2x ironbreakers.

Some ideas for Empire vs VC:
General on griffon + healpot
Light Wizard w damage resist scroll, net spell
Templehof Luminark (comes with another net that casts without winds of magic)
Cannon vetted to silver
4x spears
4x swordsmen
1x greatsword
2x crossbow
2x handgunners
1x free company militia

Cast nets as often as you can on his large units. Use the cannon on cavalry if he brought any, cannons are actually more effective vs cav then shooting at individual heroes or Mortis Engines. Free company militia are a great unit to ward off bats (one shot will route the bats leadership and cause crumbling).

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 17, 2016

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yukitsu posted:

That advanced element only really worked in Shogun because there weren't really any factions, everyone was essentially the same. It can't really come up in the same way here without a lot of effort.

I was secretly hoping they'd have done the effort. But it's still a great game and they probably made the right decision focusing that effort on the single player instead.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Lassitude posted:

I was secretly hoping they'd have done the effort. But it's still a great game and they probably made the right decision focusing that effort on the single player instead.

All I can say is I'm glad I didn't have to level up a VC general that started with zombies, skeletons and dire wolves, I'd never gain a single point against all the dwarves.

Yukitsu fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 17, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Is there a reason sack value is only displayed on dwarf/orc settlements?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
https://i.redd.it/53n30169fzlx.jpg

hmmmm

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

"Exclusive Free Lord" huh? They really want people to buy their lovely dead game mag, I bet.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

are those... sigmarine marines?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
No, definitely from 40k if only because the marine in red on the bottom left has a bolter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nopantsjack posted:

are those... sigmarine marines?

Those are Custodes fighting 30K Heresy Era marines. I only know this because I love the text-to-speech series and the Custodes play a big role.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

brocretin posted:

"Exclusive Free Lord" huh? They really want people to buy their lovely dead game mag, I bet.

I'm not really looking forward to entering a Games Workshop store but I'll do it if it gets me an angry white bearded dwarf lord.

Hopefully it also indicates some more dwarf units are on the way.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

brocretin posted:

Periphery posted:

I'm not really looking forward to entering a Games Workshop store but I'll do it if it gets me an angry white bearded dwarf lord.

Hopefully it also indicates some more dwarf units are on the way.

I'm still super annoyed they made it so I have to walk into a goddamn GW store to get a White Dwarf magazine instead of a newsagent. The only GW store in my area is just too out of the way, has atrocious parking in the area and it used to be easy to get to by train till the state government ripped up the tracks to put in trams that aren't actually in yet and won't be probably for five years. I don't suppose they've added another way to get the White Dwarf at all recently? I'm going to assume not since I was in a newsagent recently and saw that dumb "Visions" thing on the shelf.

But I've been trying to motivate myself to make the trip in to buy some Gunpla from a nearby hobby store so I might just use that as motivational fuel or something if there's no digital version I can just buy for the code (seriously the trip and the parking is god-awful).

Edit: Oh good you can just order them by mail now. Seriously whoever had this poo poo pulled from newsagents was a gently caress-knuckle of the highest order.

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 17, 2016

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I very much doubt it'll end up being exclusive. Just, it'll be exclusively free. The "free" (nope, not actually free since you need to buy a magazine) part is the exclusive part.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Decus posted:

I very much doubt it'll end up being exclusive. Just, it'll be exclusively free. The "free" (nope, not actually free since you need to buy a magazine) part is the exclusive part.

Yeah I'd wager this too, but I also wouldn't put anything past the stupidity of GW.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Decus posted:

brocretin posted:

Yeah I'd wager this too, but I also wouldn't put anything past the stupidity of GW.

I'd be glad to be wrong but it's not like this hasn't happened before with other games doing promotional stuff. Honestly this is one of the few times it's happened that I could actively take part in it because most of the time it's something tied to a product or chain not even in my country.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Lassitude posted:

There are so many multiplayer games anyway and they are always ruined by the players.
The descriptions you people do here regarding the MP part of TWW makes me happy about CA not spending more time on it and instead focusing on single player.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Grumio posted:

Oh my god
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...050bzRiTkhiTEpR

Russian warhammer LARP

It's beautiful

I keep wanting to shave the neckbeard off that otherwise awesome warrior priest

brocretin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zSxQnZ3TM8

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll bet you that the White Dwarf "free" Legendary Lord will be packaged along with a unit pack for Dwarfs/Greenskins that will inevitably come out.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Yukitsu sent in his matches vs Vox Nihili:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxL-q9Tcsh-aQi1LVHQ0NWdKQ1E/view?usp=sharing

Yukitsu's VC vs Vox's Dwarfs: Vox brought a good number of Dwarf troops, you can see the patch buff to dwarfs having an effect here. He goes for the traditional Dwarf hill fort strategy. The corpse cart was prudently killed off first. I don't think it was ever going to get far against dwarfs; a Mortis Engine might have been a better pick for Yukitsu given it's physical resistance and Dwarfs lack of magical damage. Vox understood that he needed to kill off the Crypt Horrors but Dwarfs lack the tools for it once the lines close. But the main thing was that Vox brought Dwarf Warriors and Yukitsu brought Grave Guard wit great weapons. Those kill stats at the end were tragic since Thorgrim was going ham on the Grave Guard but the warrior weren't pulling their weight.

Yukitsu's VC vs Vox's Orcs. I've never seen anybody use so many Goblins as Vox. The mixed line of Crypt Horrors and Grave Guard didn't work out for Yukitsu this time, since Black Orcs don't seem to have as much trouble with Horrors as most infantry do. Although it didn't help that it was a reversal of last game and Yukitsu left the armour piercing weapons at home. Yukitsu got all the rear line units tied up, but... they were all goblins. He might have done better focusing extra effort of the Black Orcs to take them down earlier on since they were pretty beat up at the end. I feel this game was much like the last were a weapon swap to armour piercing could have swung it.

Yukitsu's Beastmen vs Vox's Empire: Seems Yukitsu chose a map with poor lanes of fire to help himself out, plus it was a very competitively put together BM army so Yukitsu was clearly going all out here. Vox's infantry line wasn't strong enough and didn't receive enough support from the flyers and cavalry to hold off the Beastmen front line, so it was only a matter of time before his entire line collapsed. Empire spearmen are a great chaff unit but against Beastmen they come up short against the BM infantry which are also really good for their price.

So Vox was just about squeezed out of the competition. After losing in the first round he clawed his way all the the way back up from obscurity to the much-coveted fourth place spot. Next round will be the semifinal between myself and Yukitsu (on the map Scwartzhafen) and then the final vs Captain Beans.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Great games, Yukitsu.

Mukip absolutely nailed that first match summary: I failed to bring enough armor-piercing. No real excuse, given that VC don't even have the ranged units to justify shields over great weapons on my troops. I feel like I played my heart out micro-wise, but the army mismatch wasn't something I could fix.

Second match was the opposite. Armor/piercing mismatch in my favor, Yuki outplayed me with micro but it didn't matter.

The less said about the third match the better. That flying elite + spearline build was a lot better before the big nerfs in the last patch, I really need to move away from it and gear up with a proper infantry line against the beastmen. Yuki brought a better army and controlled it well, he earned a solid win.

quote:

I've never seen anybody use so many Goblins as Vox.

Gobbos rule.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Grumio posted:

Oh my god
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...050bzRiTkhiTEpR

Russian warhammer LARP

It's beautiful

Is that a LARP Doomwheel!?

Edit: and the Accordion Orc. :laffo:

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I played my matches vs Yukitsu:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxL-q9Tcsh-adDVLYTBsWFRnaUk/view?usp=sharing

First up was my Empire vs Yukitsu's Orcs. I did not notice that mounted characters were disrupting my knights movement orders and causing them to not disengage, so I kept checking every 5 seconds or so and being confused about whey were they sitting around being slaughtered by Big Un infantry. The second match was Empire again vs Yukitsu's Beastmen, where Gorebulls got to run riot as usual.

This means that I finish in third place, with the finals taking place as a rematch between Captain Beans and Yukitsu.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
My matches vs. Vox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g215DaCSf3o

I'm like, 90% back into my prime here sans one thing, I can't play artillery and ranged factions very well right now. I'm starting to incorporate the ranged units slowly back into my comps though and I'm starting to remember their niche in this game a bit. But if you're wondering why I'm rushing that's part of why, but I'm also going against factions that don't bring elements that require ranged units to counter mostly.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Edit: Oh good you can just order them by mail now. Seriously whoever had this poo poo pulled from newsagents was a gently caress-knuckle of the highest order.

Do you really think the dlc will be magazine only, and priced to the point that a $10 magazine you're really interested in is a savings?

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

If it ends up being magazine-only (don't be surprised, this is GW we're talking about), there will be a bunch of the codes or whatever on ebay.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
gently caress it man, I haven't read White Dwarf in years. Might as well see what's up with GW since I do like seeing the paintjobs and conversions they do, though I guess it's primarily dependent on whether Grombrindal has good stats or not.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

toasterwarrior posted:

gently caress it man, I haven't read White Dwarf in years. Might as well see what's up with GW since I do like seeing the paintjobs and conversions they do, though I guess it's primarily dependent on whether Grombrindal has good stats or not.

Be warned its not nearly as good as it was when/if you were a kid in the 90s/early 00s. Last time I browsed through one at the store there wasn't even a battle report. Nothing but ads and promos. No painting tips, no stories and, again, no battle report. It might have improved in a year but... just keep your expectations low.

Having a problem unlocking the new Volkmar the Grim after choosing Franz. Instructions say temple of sigmar. No specifics on location... just temple of Sigmar. That's the second upgrade to the sigmar building yeah? Tried upgrading to cathedral and nogo. Made it in Altdorf proper and still nogo. Is there something else I'm missing or am I bugged?

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org

Von_Doom posted:

Be warned its not nearly as good as it was when/if you were a kid in the 90s/early 00s. Last time I browsed through one at the store there wasn't even a battle report. Nothing but ads and promos. No painting tips, no stories and, again, no battle report. It might have improved in a year but... just keep your expectations low.

Having a problem unlocking the new Volkmar the Grim after choosing Franz. Instructions say temple of sigmar. No specifics on location... just temple of Sigmar. That's the second upgrade to the sigmar building yeah? Tried upgrading to cathedral and nogo. Made it in Altdorf proper and still nogo. Is there something else I'm missing or am I bugged?

They just released a monthly white dwarf again. Its not the same as the 90's but you can tell that's what they are going for. I just got it for the free mini but it was much better than their recent magazines.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Triggered posted:

They just released a monthly white dwarf again. Its not the same as the 90's but you can tell that's what they are going for. I just got it for the free mini but it was much better than their recent magazines.

I'm going to venture a guess that the miniature and the coming edition's DLC code are attempts to salvage the monumental gently caress-up they pulled by making it an in-store catalogue.

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org
Don't really care to be honest, good mini though. I will buy the game code one at least.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I'd actually be interested if they managed to get back to the quality it used to have, but unfortunately you know at least 50% of it is going to be Age of Sigmar which is basically wasted paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Chomp8645 posted:

I wonder what the new lore of magic will be. I hope it [...] is so hilariously broken it shuts down MP for two weeks.

Odds are good we'll see the Lore of Life next, which boils down to being Nehek For The Rest Of Us™. It has army-wide healing as a passive buff, there are targeted spells that let you give regeneration to units or resurrect models. Dwellers Below could easily be the next Devolve except combined with the Net of Amyntok as mutant midgets drag targets into the depths of the earth. Flesh To Stone should be a significant buff to armor, and to top it all off you have the Throne of Vines that makes all the spells even better.

Power Creep is a terrible thing, but if Life doesn't become the no-brainer lore for Empire, Bretonnia, and the Wood Elves then CA managed to do it wrong.

E: Which means we're going to see Steam Tanks with Regeneration, :stonk:

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 18, 2016

• Locked thread