Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
As a big fan of JoJo's I know that babies are not necessarily innocent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
I like how no one complains about Joshuu getting owned for doing something so out-of-the-blue terrible. I also agree that I like having Joshuu around just so he can just get constantly poo poo on by everyone else.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not out of the blue.

He's meeting someone who claims to be his mom for the first time in his living memory, so you may as well call it the first time ever. How hosed up do you reckon your emotions and state of mind would be in his situation? Not only that, she's not announced or talked about coming over and dealing with it sensitively. She's just there, after having been told she was missing or dead. What he did is weird as gently caress, but once again, Araki is actually doing a good job of writing a dude who has literally nothing going for him and needs to do things that make him stand out because he inherently doesn't. He's trying to assert a power dynamic against something he sees as a threat. (His warning, Daiya, which again is him showing good intuition) His older brother is a lot older, is well established and married, his older sister is kinda the same, his little sister is disabled. Rather than saying "wtf Joshu" or "weirdo" for the nth time, you might actually at least want to consider the reasons for his character to be like he is. She puts on airs and graces, but Cato's the biggest prick in that room by far even without considering the whole child murder thing.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 17, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

or, you know, someone shouldn't try to strip a lady who may or may not be their mom and yell about how he should get a chance to suck on her titty

people are making fun of the dude because he's goddamn weird. that's what we do. if you can constantly obsess over Kira The Serial Killer Who Has Killed Dozens Of People then we get to make fun of joshuu for being a creep

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"constantly"

and like i said, no one is disagreeing with that, but we've read it already, you could discuss the actual chapter, which is interesting in a gently caress tonne of ways on a character level, or you can just say he's a creepo again, which we all know, it's established.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 17, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

We should just all calm down and relax with a good 3D Johnny Depp Pirate Movie.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
You can totally understand Joshuu and what he's doing and the reasons behind why he's doing it while also wanting him to take a long walk off a short pier.

I get that he's trying to be Cool and Edgy, but the entire reason he even works as a character is that trying to do that (almost) constantly fails for him. People clowning on a character who's there to get clowned on is to be expected.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

There are numerous better ways to assess the threat level of a strange woman in your house than demanding her breast milk

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

standard owl posted:

There are numerous better ways to assess the threat level of a strange woman in your house than demanding her breast milk

There are probably also worse ways.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
As long as Joshu keeps doing weird and creepy things every chapter, people are going to talk about how weird and creepy he is

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

standard owl posted:

doubtful

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

BaDandy posted:

You can totally understand Joshuu and what he's doing and the reasons behind why he's doing it while also wanting him to take a long walk off a short pier.

I get that he's trying to be Cool and Edgy, but the entire reason he even works as a character is that trying to do that (almost) constantly fails for him. People clowning on a character who's there to get clowned on is to be expected.

like, it's very clear that he's a goddamn weird kid in a goddamn weird family that sits at their kitchen table wearing bathing suits among other things, but given that he's repeatedly portrayed as being a weirdo creeper even beyond basically everyone else in the family kind of says something. he's not even much of an endearing rear end in a top hat in a series that has numerous, so it's kind of easy to say 'wow, he's sort of a turd'.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Anyway, Caato isn't just a hot mom, she's a hot grandma. Where's my Araki Hirohiko Presents: Higashikata Caato Roasts Her 9 yo Grandchild

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Joshuu is endearing because his hosed up antics, for the most part, are funny as gently caress. The wider fandom also find him pretty funny despite it too sooo

Milagro Man owned because it was Joshu doing that poo poo. It wouldn't work with anyone else.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I think Rohan punching Janken Boy is funny and I don't think anything Joshuu has done has been funny at all tbh. And why does it matter what the wider fandom thinks about anything as if it's consensus thing and some people are actually wrong for not liking Joshuu

The closest I've gotten to feeling anything for Joshuu is when he's getting melted into the drain cause that looked a lil hosed up, but that when away quick when he was out of the story for months.

I really do not care for Josh

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

it's also kind of more hosed up that kira persuaded ojiro to eat his own fingers considering his momma ended up doing the same thing

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Norisuke Higashikata got tortured in a horrifying loving way and soon his ex wife and/ or son are probably gonna ruin his drat life

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Joshuu is endearing because his hosed up antics, for the most part, are funny as gently caress. The wider fandom also find him pretty funny despite it too sooo

Milagro Man owned because it was Joshu doing that poo poo. It wouldn't work with anyone else.

In the same way that Eric Cartman is "funny", then sure.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

it's also kind of more hosed up that kira persuaded ojiro to eat his own fingers considering his momma ended up doing the same thing

I agree, but I think the only reason people aren't talking about that more is that they forgot it happened. I know I did, but man. :(

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like that they're painting Norisuke is a goofy guy with some secrets who has made some mistakes and is now probably gonna get murdered by his ex wife for it

e: Yeah I actually feel bad for Holly, as opposed to Part 3 where it's just "oh...dang that bites." Gappy has been a weird JoJo to get a bead on personality wise for most of Part 8, but him breaking down over Holly is very good and cool

e2: oh yikes dog, if you're gonna lean into this Joshuu = Cartman analogy, I can assure you that will win you no points for Team Joshuu

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 17, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

BaDandy posted:

In the same way that Eric Cartman is "funny", then sure.

yeah, in the same way as that very well received and loved little poo poo.

Being a Kira: Finger Lickin' Good.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Also I guess Star Platinum is the strongest Stand we're ever going to meet.

VideoWitch fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 17, 2016

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Moltrey posted:

I like that they're painting Norisuke is a goofy guy with some secrets who has made some mistakes and is now probably gonna get murdered by his ex wife for it

So he's the alt-universe Joseph

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Begun, these Mom Wars have.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Funky Valentine posted:

Begun, these Mom Wars have.

I can't wait to meet alt-Kakyoin

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's Josefumi. Josefumi was so captivated by a mom's Charisma, he gave his life for her.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I wonder if the reason Cato killed a kid is related to the Higashikata curse?

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Likely true, yes. As somebody already said, the timeline doesn't fit for jobin but that seems most plausible.

"sacrifice" is kinda the theme in jojolion of late (though lol that's always a JoJo theme) and I officially do not like this position moving forward as it pertains to cool characters

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Oh please even Deadly Killer Queen can punch through a dude. I think a better example is that part where King Crimson slices right through a dudes shoulder and into his chest cause that is a lot of bone to smash through.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 17, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

So he's the alt-universe Joseph

I've always imagined his voice sounding like part 3 joseph (and he does kinda look like him)

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

Moltrey posted:

Gappy has been a weird JoJo to get a bead on personality wise for most of Part 8, but him breaking down over Holly is very good and cool
Yeah... If you wanted to be charitable to Araki about this you could say that Gappy's hard to get a bead on because he's kind of been forming his personality (vs. just trying to emulate one of his halves?) as he goes. It helps to explain why he stops doing things like measuring distances with unusual accuracy almost immediately, and also why he seems clueless or in denial half the time about his own feelings about/reactions to things. Seeing him breaking down about Holly and also reflecting about it felt like a big step for Josuke "Yeah right, I'm not crying" Higashikata. There's the problem, though, that Gappy has been sort of bumbling through the mystery and getting half-answers to a lot of questions without doing anything to pursue, like, his own mundane interests or whatever--I mean, he never even follows through on the whole "you should enroll in school" thing. Between that lack of downtime and his not actually having any memories of his past, it's hard to get a feel for who he might beyond the bounds of the story, unlike, say, his part 4 namesake. I like, though, that he's been pretty consistently both kinda goofy (enhanced by the gappy smile) and scary-good at beating people down without his stand.

e: To be clear I'm not sure how much I actually believe this explanation. Part 8 is weird.

Amaryllis fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 17, 2016

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
I guess Gappy now accepting his identity and realizing he has something to protect in the form of the woman who is basically mother to both his halves, his main motivations at this point are now...

1) Find money to keep Holly alive (Gappy gets a job or a loan from Norisuke?)
2) Find out where the Rokkaka comes from and who is producing it so it can be used to save her
3) Figure out Jobin's involvement fully

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, I will say though, it's hard to really feel out what Josuke's like outside of the story and if he just Lived, and that's because so much of this story has been about WHY Josuke is. He's essientally a baby that was just born, but out of two literal people. Despite that though, I really couldn't describe you Gappy's personality easily. What I really liked in the beginning of Part 8 was treating the amnesiac hero with the severity of the situation it deserves. Gappy has no personal memories of anything, and he feels completely alone in the world. Scattered around are small moments where we see how much Yasuho, the first person he ever meets, means to him and those are cute.

I feel like Gappy goes between a little too goofy (sleeping under the mattress, "I want large fries, don't want no crunchies") to a super serious murder sadboy, and tho I guess you could attribute that to two people?? but I really hope we see more of Gappy's own character by the end.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I like Caato being like 'Your tits are gonna get smaller'.

Like I know that she isn't blood related to the Hishagakatas but I'm just imagining her having just loving absurdly big breasts at 19 before they shrank.

And I like Joshuu but still accept that he is a pissbaby trash man. I understand why he does what he does, but I don't want to make excuses for him. He's a rich rear end in a top hat kid from a rich family, so his actions are basically entirely in character when your dad owns the town you live in and you still feel like your brother completely outshadows you in every way (including in Stand Power), you're gonna act out.

poo poo if you think about it Joshuu was the only Hishagakata without a Stand for a long rear end time; I don't know if his parents/family would have told him about Stands but his was the last one to awaken, even after his nephew's Paper Moon King. He's gonna have some hang-ups.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Maybe she's actually sort of sincere when she says she cares about them? Obviously she's really loving weird but they're all really loving weird, so

I feel sort of stupid (I'm very tired, as usual) but I don't totally get what Gappy means on Pg 17 when he says "What I need to do now actually supports the idea that my 'lost memories' once existed."

I mean I think I generally get the gist but the way it's phrased makes me feel like I can't tell if that's a continued thought after saying the memories themselves might well be unrecoverable anyway or if he's saying now he feels surer that whatever story Damo relayed was truthful, etc etc? Am I super overthinking this? Does he really just mean "what I'm going to do now is something I can do because I know more about something in my past [thanks to Damo]"

I checked the raw page and the general point of what Josuke is saying is something like, I don't know my past and I never will, but I know what I must do, and what I must do will prove that I had a past, even if it is one I don't remember.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Daxing Dan posted:

I checked the raw page and the general point of what Josuke is saying is something like, I don't know my past and I never will, but I know what I must do, and what I must do will prove that I had a past, even if it is one I don't remember.

That's heart wrenching but also adorable. What a good son.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Johnny Joestar posted:

or, you know, someone shouldn't try to strip a lady who may or may not be their mom and yell about how he should get a chance to suck on her titty

Yea, but Joshuu is a fictional character who is not harming anyone with his actions. The objects he is directing his sexual assaults towards (Caato and Yashuo) are not real people, but people shaped objects that Hirohiko Araki created out of whole cloth for the purposes of telling a story.

All over the internet theres been a weird increase in people "yelling at the movie theater screen" so to speak every time a character does something objectionable. Do you honestly think that people joining in the other side of this argument think that the actions Joshuu are taking would be acceptable? Thats an incredibly condescending attitude. The baseline for discussion in fandoms has degenerated to the point where everyone feels the need to state whether or not the characters are acting in a way that conforms with thier own ethical frame work before moving on to talking about anything. Remember when Hazamada got read by Rohan, and Rohan mentioned his attempted rape? Thank god everyone in the anime thread mentioned that rape was bad, otherwise I wouldn't have known! Everyone who makes those sorts of posts treats everyone around them like an infant who does not understand the basics between right and wrong, and that just gets a little bit annoying.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

standard owl posted:

name one. thats right you cant.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Daxing Dan posted:

Aha! Thank you so much. I feel bad because I was considering just asking you but never like to be a bother. You read my mind I guess. :)

And yeah, what Amaryllis said about his personality seems fair. I really like Gappy a lot but have to concede that it's next to impossible to totally, totally map out the way he is based upon what we see. It's sort of funny to me that I think any of us could generally map out Josefumi himself or Kira himself but Gappy, with whom we've spent far more time, is just a sort of "well, this time last year he was ____ and a few months ago he was ___ and now he's sort of ___ so..."

It feels like it's beginning to pull together a little bit into something that feels like a more cohesive person but it's taken a bit to get there. I don't mind it at all; it's just sort of unlike me to not care, actually.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Meme Emulator posted:

Yea, but Joshuu is a fictional character who is not harming anyone with his actions. The objects he is directing his sexual assaults towards (Caato and Yashuo) are not real people, but people shaped objects that Hirohiko Araki created out of whole cloth for the purposes of telling a story.

All over the internet theres been a weird increase in people "yelling at the movie theater screen" so to speak every time a character does something objectionable. Do you honestly think that people joining in the other side of this argument think that the actions Joshuu are taking would be acceptable? Thats an incredibly condescending attitude. The baseline for discussion in fandoms has degenerated to the point where everyone feels the need to state whether or not the characters are acting in a way that conforms with thier own ethical frame work before moving on to talking about anything. Remember when Hazamada got read by Rohan, and Rohan mentioned his attempted rape? Thank god everyone in the anime thread mentioned that rape was bad, otherwise I wouldn't have known! Everyone who makes those sorts of posts treats everyone around them like an infant who does not understand the basics between right and wrong, and that just gets a little bit annoying.

:chloe: or maybe people are just interacting with media, like how they're meant to do

also i like how gappy comes off as being disjointed and odd because that kind of sums up his whole life experience, starting with him being dug up from the ground next to a dead guy. the latest chapter kind of helps humanize him a little more, because even though everything is all hosed up for him he's still able to connect with the supposed memories of holly that he has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I'd argue that whether or not they're "real" doesn't really matter when you look at the fact that Araki usually grounds characters in some kind of realism....uh, "realism" so you can either empathize with them or at least have some kind of visceral, emotional reaction to them when they do something outlandish or horrific or whatever. It's why he had Dio kill Danny and why that's usually one of the final straws for people, it's why stories of abuse show up sometimes for some characters, it's why the most disturbing thing about the Vanilla Ice fight was Ice just straight up kicking Iggy to death in a fit of rage while Polnareff could do nothing but watch. It's hyper real, but it's still based in some kind of realism.

I don't think anyone here is saying "I DON'T LIKE JOSHUU BECAUSE HE'S BEING ~~PROBLEMATIC~~", they're just having an emotional reaction to him, like they should be, whether it's disgust or finding it so ridiculous that it loops around into being funny. Joshuu having these bouts of ridiculous behavior is definitely a spoiled, middle child acting out, but he's clearly supposed to get a reaction from the audience with his disgusting behavior, considering that's why Araki usually has his characters do things like that.

Please don't call one group of people "condescending" while also pulling the "it's not REAL, chill out guys" card. Like, everyone here knows that, don't be that guy. Come on, man.

e: Anyways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENV2YcIxE-I

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 18, 2016